Options

we are not just paid customers..

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,741
    edited January 2014
    alphawolf said:

when this 'new' board first went live, i voted 'its just ok'

i was trying to be positive and optimistic...hoping this board was still changing and evolving.

but its not...unfortunately.

i dont post much, but i just had to put my 2 cents out there.

i visit far less frequently, and dont stay for nearly as long.

i dont like this change :(

It actually is evolving. Improvements are slowly being made. No limit on editing now, location of members is showing again (just update it on your profile), font is bigger.... they are clearly working on it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 965

seems some try to add"the negative card",something no way i will accept for my self,and cos im acused here so many times that i support this club alwaysno matter what .and my Greekglish doesnt help and arent clear.,ill say it in Latin"

"Verba volant, scripta manent"

Do you like the New Layout? 549 votes
    Yes
    8% 49 votes

It's Just Ok
    19% 107 votes

I'd Rather hear Sweet Lew
    71% 393 votes

My problem with the poll is I voted Sweet Lew soon as I came on. But if I were to vote again I'd say Yes.
    I spent a bit of time and now Im used to it and like the layout

Just wait until the australia shows start, everyone will be back posting about the shows as ultimately its those shows that brought us all here first
  • Options

seems some try to add"the negative card",something no way i will accept for my self,and cos im acused here so many times that i support this club alwaysno matter what .and my Greekglish doesnt help and arent clear.,ill say it in Latin"

Yes
    8% 49 votes

It's Just Ok
    19% 107 votes

71% 393 votes

My problem with the poll is I voted Sweet Lew soon as I came on. But if I were to vote again I'd say Yes.

Just wait until the australia shows start, everyone will be back posting about the shows as ultimately its those shows that brought us all here first
    You bring up a good point. We can't change our vote here (I actually voted it's okay in the first place, so no probs there). I bet the results would be much less negative now than this poll reflects now that some changes have happened and we know they are working on it (although I still don't get the silence. If they'd simply said more about what they'd be able to change and that they were working on those specific things, people would have stopped complaining a long time ago.... 10C communication has been poor as usual). So really this poll no longer has any meaning. Now that you can edit it Dimitris, maybe add a new poll to gauge the current views! :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,402
    I have two more thoughts about this new board.

First, the text is easy to read on my iPhone but difficult to see on the computer. I wonder why?

Second, the slightly darker background of the quoted text would be a great fix for the white background!! Just darken the background slightly like that and it'd be so much better!!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,458
    PJ_Soul said:

Yes
    8% 49 votes

It's Just Ok
    19% 107 votes

71% 393 votes

You bring up a good point. We can't change our vote here (I actually voted it's okay in the first place, so no probs there). I bet the results would be much less negative now than this poll reflects now that some changes have happened and we know they are working on it (although I still don't get the silence. If they'd simply said more about what they'd be able to change and that they were working on those specific things, people would have stopped complaining a long time ago.... 10C communication has been poor as usual). So really this poll no longer has any meaning. Now that you can edit it Dimitris, maybe add a new poll to gauge the current views! :)
    i need only 2 minutes for my eyes start hurting reading the forum,i lost my joy,a huge part of pm ,i cant control my profile page,the activity is a gossip side of the forum,thats the reason i hate facebook,i lost friend list,alot of friends i used to read and chat left cos of the change or come less here,the fact .i can edit my location,my post and my birthday means nothing to what i lost..
    NO is my answer to this unessesary change.
    i am member of the club,i support the club ,ill always renew my memebrship and this change doesnt has to do with my renew,cos most of all,i love the band ad their fans,but when i dont like something,i say NO..
    and thats my answer to this change..especially for the lost data and the gossip facebooking shit..
    back to eye drops so i can open the next thread now..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 965
    Is anyone a member of other fan clubs? Im not so dont know what else i'd expect, but to me the 10C is fine. They announce shows, albums etc, thats all I care about. I honestly wouldnt expect a fan club website for a band to announce they plan on changing the website.
    i know we all love the band and think they are the greatest thing in the history of the world ever, but in reality how big do we think the IT department is here. Its not ebay/amazon.
    im not trying to put them down or annoy anyone, just trying to manage some peoples expectations.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

Is anyone a member of other fan clubs? Im not so dont know what else i'd expect, but to me the 10C is fine. They announce shows, albums etc, thats all I care about. I honestly wouldnt expect a fan club website for a band to announce they plan on changing the website.
    i know we all love the band and think they are the greatest thing in the history of the world ever, but in reality how big do we think the IT department is here. Its not ebay/amazon.
    im not trying to put them down or annoy anyone, just trying to manage some peoples expectations.

not on other 'fan club' sites, but I am on other FREE message boards. One in particular is worse than this one-I actually stopped going there for over a year;went back after this one changed to compare layouts, and there are others that are more organized and well laid out than this one.

It's not clear if a non-paying member can post on here or not-but since you had to be a paying member to post i can see why people are upset.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    edited January 2014
    justam said:

Second, the slightly darker background of the quoted text would be a great fix for the white background!! Just darken the background slightly like that and it'd be so much better!!

yup
    My main issue was/is the white background. Though my eyes are somewhat adjusted to it now, it would be even better with just a tad darker background,like that 'Quote Grey'. And maybe in turn darken the quotes even more.

Post edited by Idris on
  • Options
    edited January 2014

PJ_Soul said:

Yes
    8% 49 votes

It's Just Ok
    19% 107 votes

71% 393 votes

i need only 2 minutes for my eyes start hurting reading the forum,i lost my joy,a huge part of pm ,i cant control my profile page,the activity is a gossip side of the forum,thats the reason i hate facebook,i lost friend list,alot of friends i used to read and chat left cos of the change or come less here,the fact .i can edit my location,my post and my birthday means nothing to what i lost..
    NO is my answer to this unessesary change.
    i am member of the club,i support the club ,ill always renew my memebrship and this change doesnt has to do with my renew,cos most of all,i love the band ad their fans,but when i dont like something,i say NO..
    and thats my answer to this change..especially for the lost data and the gossip facebooking shit..
    back to eye drops so i can open the next thread now..
    Yeah, I understand why you're unhappy Dimitris, and those are all very valid complaints (although I guess it's clear you're not getting your friends list or PMs back, so I'm not sure there is any point in holding onto that, since what's done is done. I totally fucking sucks it happened, but nothing to do now :( ). I'm just talking about the poll. I don't think it's a reflection of everyone's feelings at this point. I'm sure option 3 would still win, but definitely not even close to 71% of people would still say it was that bad.
    They definitely do need to fix the fact that we can't delete posts from our own wall. That's just brutal. And yes, the colour has to change... at this point I keep expecting to see it change every time I come on, but still nothing....
  • Options
    Agree. It has taken me so long to post this because I am never on the boards anymore. Just way to hard to navigate and read posts.
    1995: San Francisco, San Diego
    2000: Phoenix
    2008: Camden 2
    2009: San Diego, Philly 1, Philly 2
    2010: MSG 1, MSG 2
    2011: Alpine 1, Alpine 2
    2012: Missoula
    2013: Wrigley, Phoenix, San Diego, LA1, LA2, Oakland
    2014: Denver
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1
    2022: San Diego, LA1
    2024: LA1
  • Options
    pearlhawkpearlhawk Posts: 631
    So the forum is what it took for things to finally be exposed for what they are. There have been a lot of things that have destroyed the culture here, I think this is just another, possibly final nail in the coffin.
    -Pearlhawk.

Kansas City 5/3/2010
    St. Louis 5/4/2010
    St. Louis 7/1/2011 (EV Solo)
    East Troy 9/3/2011
    East Troy 9/4/2011
    Wrigley Field 7/19/2013
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281

hey there 10c..

i dont think i have to repeat what the majority thinks about this "cool" forum change
    you can read about it at some threads,at the poll thread,at the one Kat start about it..
    the numbersand the comments tells the truth..

i just want to say a few things i feel and realise,so you guys there at the club ,to understand why the negativity and the complains about this change..

to tell about the unfriendly thing and cant read the forum,about the lost pm and lost user names,the vilation of our privacy,u can find your friend list,cant edit post,cant delete post,just for get in return a second pj facebook acount is unnecessary..so many members said all 2 days now...

every day here,hundreds,and maybe some days a few thousands come here becouse they love this place..
    cos feel to be a part of a community..a community you as fan club and the band create..
    ..cos they share their passion and their love for this band..
    some come here only to read,some to read and post sometimes and some are fuckin post their shit all day like my self..
    we are not just paid customers we think we gonna run the club cos we pay a few dollars per year and you own us something
    we arent coming here only during presale tickets or during a sale of a limited edition product writes pj on it
    we arent coming here cos we have the right to be in the forum cos its in our privelenge as paid members..

we are here cos our friends are here..our brothers and sisters from all over the world are here..those friends who support the club even after u fuck in shipping ,or at ticket presale
    those friends we share hotels,rides with the car,buy eachother beers at the parties,share spare tickets,make travel plans together,share hotel rooms,help eachother in a charity,organize holy grails,help a fellow fan in need,say prayers for some other fan have a health problem,give free things someone searhing,help with infos when someone want to travel in a place,travel from all over the world in the middle of nowhere to celebrate with the band their birthday party..
    we are not just those paid customers that post in facebook and make fun of us,"you still go to that place?..is this thing called pj forum still in play ?" and they just clik like at facebook at eddie photos..

we are here cos feels like home..we are here cos we love this home..
    and we love it and care like its ours..
    not cos it belong to us cos we give u a few bucks per year..not cos we want to keep our numbers and membership so we have good seats....but cos we love it and "our people " are here..

those couple of days with all those people complaining,isnt cos are against the club and only know how to bitching...
    no,we are here and complaining,cos we are seeing,that "our home" is getting down..
    "our home",makes us feel not wellcome...
    we are complaining cos we care about this place..cos our buddies are here..cos we want to enjoy coming here and smile when we open the forum..

dont take this away form us..isnt biggie..do a step back..wasnt a success move..this things happens...so what..ask those tech people..if he can add a few things to the old forum and we all gonna forget about it and go on..

we are not just paid members and we dont like a change....

we are people who see something we love to hurt us and make us feel not wellcome..

cos 2 days know..this is exactly how i feel..

dont feel like home..you kicking me out..

with much respect and more love

Dimitris

well said that man
  • Options
    FlyingwFlyingw Brantford Posts: 443
    The PJ forum was a wonderful place. Glad that the opinions are being expressed here. My simple truth is that the new forum is just not as user friendly (IMO) as it was. Starting with the white background (grrrr.). I just have so much more time in my day now that I don't check here frequently.
    Best band forum I have used, but this certainly feels like a step backwards to me.
    Aug 18/93 Toronto, May 9/06 Toronto, Sept 11/11 Toronto, Sept 15/11 Hamilton,
    July 16/13 London, Oct 12/13 Buffalo, Oct 17/14 Detroit,
    April 8/16, Ft. Lauderdale, April 9/16 Miami, May 8/16 Ottawa, May 10/16 Toronto
    May 11/16 Toronto, Aug 20/16 Wrigley, Aug 22/16 Wrigley, TOTD Nov 5/16 Philly
  • Options
    themessengerthemessenger Dallas Posts: 1,320
    Totally agree, I miss the old format. It wasn't perfect but it worked. This board has been awesome for me, as I've met many great friends from it, both local and that I've met at shows and continued to keep up with. What's most important is keeping this forum the community of the faithful, and I don't believe this new forum format helps with that all.
  • Options
    narnianarnia Posts: 635
    Dimi thank you for expressing what so many of us are feeling.

I haven't been here much since the change and only spend a few minutes at a time now. It's just not enjoyable anymore. As far as I'm concerned the only advantage is that I now have an avatar, which I would gladly give up for the old board.
    I escaped it...a life wasted...I'm never going back again
  • Options
    I LOVE THE NEW FORUM AND MY OPINION MATTERS THE MOST
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    This new format has been nothing but an absolute shame. In all honesty, quite sad.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    Kat will probably pull the usual bullshit and close this topic.
  • Options

Kat will probably pull the usual bullshit and close this topic.

Well it's going to get locked for sure now. [-X
  • Options
    The one positive thing about this new layout is that is makes the board much easier to read on Safari on an iPhone. The layout of this forum that we look at on a desktop or laptop is designed for an iPhone screen. That's why it looks so horrible every where else. It's as if they installed the new software, went to the theme options and just selected "iPhone Theme". And that's some minor league shit right there. The new functions are nice, but it's a design nightmare. Somebody needs to understand that there needs to be a difference between a mobile and a desktop view. The style of this board literally wouldn't exist on any other major band's website, I'm sorry.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,920
    Things I will miss because I no longer want to post on any of these forums:
    1)Interacting with friends here. I've gotten to know some really wonderful, excellent, awesome folks here.
    2) Interesting information and opinions about Pearl Jam
    3) Interesting debates on current events.
    4) Opportunities to give and receive encouragement, support and opportunity to donate to causes I might not have given to because I might not have known about them otherwise.
    5) interesting information about other music
    6) Useful tips about guitars, gear and tabs
    7) "Two birds above my car." (A phrase that sometimes comes to me related to either happiness or, in this case, loss and sadness.)

My eyes are burning. Off I go.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

1)Interacting with friends here. I've gotten to know some really wonderful, excellent, awesome folks here.
    4) Opportunities to give and receive encouragement, support and opportunity to donate to causes I might not have given to because I might not have known about them otherwise.
    7) "Two birds above my car." (A phrase that sometimes comes to me related to either happiness or, in this case, loss and sadness.)

Brian, doesn't that seem like a lot to give up just because of the design and layout of a website?
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,458

The one positive thing about this new layout is that is makes the board much easier to read on Safari on an iPhone. The layout of this forum that we look at on a desktop or laptop is designed for an iPhone screen. That's why it looks so horrible every where else. It's as if they installed the new software, went to the theme options and just selected "iPhone Theme". And that's some minor league shit right there. The new functions are nice, but it's a design nightmare. Somebody needs to understand that there needs to be a difference between a mobile and a desktop view. The style of this board literally wouldn't exist on any other major band's website, I'm sorry.

and thats the begging of the problem..designed for spesific way and type of mobile..
    why??...i really still dont get the reason for this UNNECESSARY Change....that made so many people unhappy...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,801
    People are really willing to throw their toys out of the pram and stop visiting a place they love because they don't like a new format?

I mean seriously?
  • Options
    The good thing about all these changes is that since I am hardly here anymore, I have had the chance to research some volunteer opportunities, and even find a new church! So maybe it's all working out for the best in the long run.
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    chinobaezachinobaeza Santiago Posts: 2,489

The good thing about all these changes is that since I am hardly here anymore, I have had the chance to research some volunteer opportunities, and even find a new church! So maybe it's all working out for the best in the long run.

:-bd
    There's a life outside the forums..
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,355
    goldrush said:

I really can't understand all of the people that say they won't post here again or won't renew their membership after only a few days of the new forums. There were months of bitching about the old one when we were stuck in BETA for so long, now everyone seems to love it.

Doesn't anyone have the patience to wait and see if there are any more changes coming? Do you really believe that 10C is doing this a big FU to see how many people they can get rid of?

I'm not trying to cause conflict or dispute D's posts, just trying to inject some positivity. Sure the colour and the font are an issue but it really isn't that hard to navigate. Some of the new features are an improvement on the old forum so I'm still hoping that this is a work in progress.

As much as it feels weird to quote myself I feel that, in the interest of healthy debate, I have to say it again - why are people so quick to say they're leaving? It's only been a week, don't people have the patience to wait and see what happens next? Things are changing on almost a daily basis so it's obvious that this isn't the final version.

I'm not going to talk about the issues people have mentioned with PMs, friend lists, walls etc for a minute because I don't really use them that often. I just want to talk about the forums... They're pretty much the same!! Apart from the change in colour the functionality is the same as the old forum, maybe even better.

You can still navigate through the threads and pages in the same way, read and reply to posts in the same way and there are even some improvements - like jumping straight to the last post you read in a thread, having all of the forum links at the side so you don't have to go back to the main menu page, and how it's so much easier to use on my phone etc.

Like I said earlier, I'm just trying to add a little positivity here. Yes, my first few posts after the change were whinging and negative, but it's been a week and I've got used to the new look.

Maybe I'm being blind and am missing something really obvious but if there is anything about the functionality of reading and posting in threads that is more difficult now then I've completely missed it
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Guys, it's a message board, get over it.
    "Only curfews can keep us down"
  • Options
    Yes, it is worth leaving a message board if it is interfering with the health of my eyes.

Enough said.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

Brian, doesn't that seem like a lot to give up just because of the design and layout of a website?
    Can you read? His eyes are burning.