Options

we are not just paid customers..

Comments

• Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    My guess (and that's all it is and all it's worth) is that the change was driven by the desire for simplicity and "sameness" in both maintenance and look/feel across multiple platforms. Probably the new engine they are using works better across platforms than the prior bulletin board engine. Perhaps it was a full turnkey solution complete with Android/iOS/IE/Mozilla templates that mostly just require deployment. I'm not saying they SHOULD have done this, I am just rationalizing as to perhaps why. What we see and what needs to be done on the back end in terms of maintaining things are obviously different, so I'm sure the new forums provides advantages in that regard as well.

But the one thing I dont understand is the "white" comments...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,677
    edited January 2014
    I think it's that blazing blue ON white that is hurting our eyes. Maybe we should be screaming for them to get rid of that fucking turquoise colour instead.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I think it's that blazing blue ON white that is hurting our eyes.

Admittedly, I'm looking through eyeglasses with anti glare, so that no doubt artificially dulls all the colors I see. It just doesnt seem all that bright, so I was truly asking.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I also think that the deisgn is a lot busier, not just with the blue, but with such a busy sidebar. We don't really need to see how many comments/threads each forum has.
    Such a big header for each comment instead of the avatar to the right distracts the reader from the important thing, the message.
  • Options
    Honestly, the bar on the left is useless because it scrolls. If it stayed still while the rest of the page scrolled I think it would have more utility.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

I also think that the deisgn is a lot busier, not just with the blue, but with such a busy sidebar. We don't really need to see how many comments/threads each forum has.
    Such a big header for each comment instead of the avatar to the right distracts the reader from the important thing, the message.
    And that (crazy blue) sidebar always being there sucks. I hate that. There is no need for it within the threads.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 951
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

And that (crazy blue) sidebar always being there sucks. I hate that. There is no need for it within the threads.
    See, i actually like that, find it useful to click into a thread and can easily go to another forum. I dont care about online users but the different forums i like
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

See, i actually like that, find it useful to click into a thread and can easily go to another forum. I dont care about online users but the different forums i like
    Fair enough... it it were a different colour that didn't scream at me I might feel differently about it.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    PJ_Soul said:

Am I the only one for whom the font size is fixed for the PC?? It's totally normal for me now, and I didn't do anything to fix it.

I am definitely confused by the decision to change the forum when there was nothing wrong with it before and this new one is worse. Very strange decision-making going on down at the warehouse for sure. But fuck, nothing I can do about it except suggest things that would improve it and try to settle in. I'm not going to ditch the forum - it's just not THAT bad.

On my PC, the font is still so tiny that I have to come closer to the screen to read properly. It looks like a 8 pt font. On my facebook, it looks more like a 10 or 11 pt font size. Maybe I should clear my cache ...

• Options
    Nope, clearing the cache didn't help. It's still the same size, and too small...
  • Options

Nope, clearing the cache didn't help. It's still the same size, and too small...

Strange. Well, it's a lot nicer when the font is sorted out, FYI. Hopefully it happens for you too shortly!
  • Options
    Can you do a screenshot and post it over on fb? I would like to see what it looks like for you. Thx!
  • Options

Can you do a screenshot and post it over on fb? I would like to see what it looks like for you. Thx!

Just did. :)https://www.facebook.com/groups/10cmembers/
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I also think the turquoise is the problem with the glaring.

I would like the thread title on top of the comment like in the old forum as well. I never really know what thread I'm in because I don't see a reminder.

As for the block on the left... I don't mind that. But I would like it more if the comment section on the right, where I'm writing right now, would scroll up. So that you can see the navigation bar on the side the whole time. That would help me at least navigating a little better. It somehow seems like there are more comments on each site now. If you enable the signatures, which I have because I like seeing them, it feels like a LONG way up to the top of the site again if I want to check out a different thread or section of the forum.

And thanks for that screenshot. I don't think your font size went up. I learned now that you can increase the font size in Chrome, but I don't have that browser installed, and on purpose.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,314

10c newletter:

"We recently made some much-needed changes to our forums. Because of the high volume of traffic and activity caused by our active and growing fan-base, we switched our forums platform to a hosted solution that offers substantially more options and the ability to handle more traffic.

We're aware that there will be some growing pains for the users and we will be monitoring the boards for suggestions.

The moderators have created a dynamic post that covers tips and features associated with the new forums.

Go forth and POST!"
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Agreed with all of the above. This new forum gives me a headache, not a fan at all...
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited January 2014

10c newletter:

"We recently made some much-needed changes to our forums. Because of the high volume of traffic and activity caused by our active and growing fan-base, we switched our forums platform to a hosted solution that offers substantially more options and the ability to handle more traffic.

We're aware that there will be some growing pains for the users and we will be monitoring the boards for suggestions.

The moderators have created a dynamic post that covers tips and features associated with the new forums.

Go forth and POST!"

Funny, how there was no sticky stating any of this before they went ahead with the changes. image Talk about service... NOT.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options
    chinobaezachinobaeza Santiago Posts: 2,489
    edited January 2014

10c newletter:
    Because of the high volume of traffic and activity caused by our active and growing fan-base,

Growing fan-base? If it's true, I firmly believe it is something transitory. I do not think that the band's fan-base is growing....I would dare to say that it will be going the other direction as years go by.
    So I do not buy that argument for changing the platform...

• Options
    ckravitz said:

Honestly, the bar on the left is useless because it scrolls. If it stayed still while the rest of the page scrolled I think it would have more utility.

+1
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

Funny, how there was no sticky stating any of this before they went ahead with the changes. image Talk about service... NOT.

Yup. This is my biggest gripe. The change was going to happen either way - I don't expect them to seek our approval. But the lack of communication tells you a little bit about what they think of us. They clearly hold us in very low esteem, and typically fail to show any consideration. SNAFU.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

10c newletter:
    Because of the high volume of traffic and activity caused by our active and growing fan-base,

Growing fan-base? If it's true, I firmly believe it is something transitory. I do not think that the band's fan-base is growing....I would dare to say that it will be going the other direction as years go by.

The only time I really experience a slowdown is when they say: "Please make sure you have your memberships up to date by XXX date" and you log in on that date...then the announcement comes, and the board is slow for a few days, but not like it's slow ALL the time.

I wonder how big of a server they need to support everybody during tour/announcement season. Maybe it cost more than the cost of a hosted site...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,314
    RKCNDY said:

10c newletter:

The only time I really experience a slowdown is when they say: "Please make sure you have your memberships up to date by XXX date" and you log in on that date...then the announcement comes, and the board is slow for a few days, but not like it's slow ALL the time.

I wonder how big of a server they need to support everybody during tour/announcement season. Maybe it cost more than the cost of a hosted site...
    maybe by traffic they meant the Seattle Intrernational Airport!! :bz
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426

10c newletter:

you might be surprised. theres gotta be a reason Ten Club tickets are no longer a sure thing.
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:

10c newletter:

you might be surprised. theres gotta be a reason Ten Club tickets are no longer a sure thing.
    Yup.
  • Options
    RD101189RD101189 A distant time, a distant space Posts: 454
    Wow this looks great on my Samsung G4. Much better than my pc or laptop.
    09/08/1992 - Phoenix, AZ
    07/08/1998 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/21/2000 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/19/2013 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/22/2014 - Denver, CO
    05/09/2022 - Phoenix, AZ
    09/22/2022 - Denver, CO
  • Options
    Jerome230Jerome230 Posts: 903
    I haven't visited this Forum in a while, but...

Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,792
    Boxes like we used to have around posts instead of lines would clear up some confusion. And the old smilies were WAY better that the grade school flaky faces. And the different font sizes for when you want to say something big or small or tiny or normal. Yeah I know, bitch bitch bitch. Damn it, why do I like this place so much. Arghhhhhhhh! (But I do).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    vaggar99 said:

10c newletter:

Older fans maybe...with more spending power than 15-10 years ago. I do not believe that is the only reason, but that might be part of a good one...
  • Options

vaggar99 said:

10c newletter:

Older fans maybe...with more spending power than 15-10 years ago. I do not believe that is the only reason, but that might be part of a good one...
    What is this vaggar guy smoking? 10C tix have NEVER been a sure thing.
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339

10C tix have NEVER been a sure thing.

...from 1996 to 2006 they were.

did you see me? i saw you.