Options

New forum discussion here!

Comments

• Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 981
    I'll tell you what, after a few days I've finally come around to this site.

I agree that a slight background change would make it easier on the eyes, but other than that, I like it.

Was always going to be an adjustment period. Change is change, and most people dont like that
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    I remember the old AOL forum in 1996 my first year in college. Spent a lot of time on in the computer lab because of it. It's come a long way for sure.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    know1 said:

I'll get used to it. The only thing I wish they'd have done is get rid of or reset the post counts.

Even better, to make it fair they could have assigned post counts by lottery.

why do you want post counts reset?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    Kat said:

Some people are approaching some very thin ice. If you'd like to comment on the forum change, that's fine. Rude comments about people, Ten Club, Band, other employees of the band are NOT ok. See the Posting Guidelines to preserve posting privileges.

is there a point in even commenting on the forum changes? is 10C really going to take our opinions into consideration? if not, you might as well lock this thread up along with all the others discussing the change because everyone is just waisting their time vocalizing their opinion and putting themselves on "thin ice" as you put it.

• Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I love how Canadians spell Colors.... always have.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,490

PS - I sometimes went back and edited stuff after 24 hours. Well, and the setlist, donations etc threads need to go back after 24 hours.

What??who needs that??the only thing we need to know is how people make deals and trades..and how flirting and get rejected in public..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Genuine feedback, when I click Discussions on the top tab, it'd be great to see all the latest threads but without all the announcements always at the top, even though they dont have recent posts e.g. all the live concert fanviews
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    Like the alert when someone has responded to your thread. Sometimes my forum use if more pointed, rather than just time hanging out.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339

PS - I sometimes went back and edited stuff after 24 hours. Well, and the setlist, donations etc threads need to go back after 24 hours.

What??who needs that??the only thing we need to know is how people make deals and trades..and how flirting and get rejected in public..

*runs to the activity page*
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options

who's flirting with who? image
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752

*runs to the activity page*
    imageimage
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    kg162716kg162716 Posts: 567
    Kat said:

kg162716 said:

So what are your thoughts of the forum Kat?
    Here to stay no matter what?

Were you around in 1994 on the AOL boards when that place was huge? That "board" locked up at 500 posts...and that happened a LOT. :x And were you around in 1998 for our first official forum? That one broke all the time...but we had an official place to talk about our favorite band's music and tours and etc. I'm sorry some people are unhappy but this is our forum now. We'll work on it being a really nice place where people can connect, on computer and mobile devices. :x

.................temporary sig................
    Feel like voting?
    http://loudwire.com/best-rock-song-of-2013-3rd-annual-loudwire-music-awards/
    Although you did not tell me what your overall opinion is of the boards,
    I'm just glad that you :x confirmed that this board is here to stay, no sense complaining now....
    Here's your supper, eat it or starve..

Thank you for responding....
    kris
    Toronto '03, Boston '04, Halifax '05, Boston 1&2 '06, Mansfield 1&2 '08, Boston '10, Toronto 1&2 '11, Brooklyn 1&2 13, Sao Paulo '15, Brasilia '15, Belo Horizonte '15, Rio '15, Quebec '16, Fenway '1&2 16', Seattle 1 & 2 18', Quebec ‘22
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Kat said:

Some people are approaching some very thin ice. If you'd like to comment on the forum change, that's fine. Rude comments about people, Ten Club, Band, other employees of the band are NOT ok. See the Posting Guidelines to preserve posting privileges.

Are we really not able to call out 10c on things they do that we disagree with? I'm sorry, and maybe I'm on thin ice, but this really is a 10c issue that goes beyond font / screen color. This goes to a fundamental lack of planning, development, testing, rollout, and most importantly - communication. The board upgrade is not the issue. The tweaks that would need to be dealt with post-rollout is not the issue. Getting used to a new message board platform is not really the issue (that takes care of itself in time). The issue is that there was no communication around this, and it was very clearly prematurely rolled out. We pay money to the 10c, and are customers - although I don't think that is often taken into account by the 10c mgmt. Getting negative customer feedback when an issue creates customer dissatisfaction shouldn't come as a surprise. It is a pretty standard response and every business is aware of it. The problem is that the 10c doesn't always act like a business. I know we shouldn't call names, but someone should be held accountable. The reality is nobody will be held accountable, and we'll be made to feel ungrateful for complaining.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Technology has increased seven fold since the AOL days as well. Should we just settle for untapped board technology?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752

Technology has increased seven fold since the AOL days as well. Should we just settle for untapped board technology?

That's what I was thinking.... Are we supposed to be comparing this forum to the lowest standards possible?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,990
    Why stop now?
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

That's what I was thinking.... Are we supposed to be comparing this forum to the lowest standards possible?
    Hello there my fellow member PJ_Soul Post 14,988
    As i see there is so much white around you
    I saw at news about the weather at North America.the snow must enter to your acount
    Please stay warm and buy a shovel
    Good luck!!
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    jd44jamminjd44jammin Posts: 66
    edited January 2014

The reality is the people, the masses, have the power and don't use it. We fund this machine. They can make the rules, ignore our suggestions/complaints whatever and we all keep coming back for more. The band, this forum, the merch, all of it has a demand. So either get used to it, or don't be part of the masses that fund it. Sure there are times when on rare occasion they take feedback but its pretty obvious their stance on the new forum. I for one didn't post much but came here often, I don't come on here nearly as much anymore because its hard to read and follow and more of a hassle than a pleasure. As much as we like to think we are customers , we are not. we are paying to be in what they deem a "club", and just like any other club you play by the rulers guidelines.... Its kind of like when Bush was president, nothing makes sense but that is who is calling the shots.
    Post edited by jd44jammin on
  • Options
    jd44jamminjd44jammin Posts: 66
    edited January 2014
    see i don't even know how to quote someone on here... oh well.
    Post edited by jd44jammin on
  • Options

see i don't even know how to quote someone on here... oh well.

It says 'Quote' at the bottom of every post
  • Options

The issue is that there was no communication around this, and it was very clearly prematurely rolled out.

Just out of interest, are you saying your issue is that there wasnt communication that the forum was being updated? Not trying to cause an arguement but I dont see how that matters. If there was an annoucement saying the forum will be updated next week, would you really care?
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    i remember when the site was a sony site and the message board was lemony yellow and was all threads. when it changed to an actual message board i was so confused. hah. HOW CAN I LIVE WITHOUT THREADS!?!? so i just didn't post for ages because each time i'd visit the PJ site it'd be new and everyone would have in jokes and all kinds of weirdness. then mike mccready started making appearances and even responded to a PM i sent him that said i thought he was superfantastic.

was it all just a beautiful fantasy?

anyway, i like this forum heaps more on my phone. i just want my old username back is all. really.
  • Options

The issue is that there was no communication around this, and it was very clearly prematurely rolled out.

Just out of interest, are you saying your issue is that there wasnt communication that the forum was being updated? Not trying to cause an arguement but I dont see how that matters. If there was an annoucement saying the forum will be updated next week, would you really care?
    For starters will save the most important pm as i did the last time they let us know they will change the website...and now are gone
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

Since it was my post, I figure I'll chime in. I think that with better planning and communication we would have been better prepared for the changes. They could have previewed the changes, solicited feedback at that time, made some modifications and corrections, let everyone know when it was happening, and potentially even had a beta site or sandbox for people to use, etc... At that point people would have already known what to expect, the many tweaks that are occurring now would have already been done, they could have potentially already changed the look and feel. When we then logged into the new boards there would have been no surprise or shock. People still might not have liked it, but the swift negative reaction, and the piling on would have been less severe. Instead they rolled it out with little to no testing, no communication, no ability to get any advanced feedback, and are now scrambling.

It was the lack of communication that started the whole shitstorm. We're already seeing some people saying they're feeling better about it a few days later. Imagine if we'd known weeks earlier what we were in for. Far fewer complaints, and a much smoother rollout would have been the result. Even if you didn't like it you would have been prepared for it.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    jeffbr said:

Kat said:

Are we really not able to call out 10c on things they do that we disagree with? I'm sorry, and maybe I'm on thin ice, but this really is a 10c issue that goes beyond font / screen color. This goes to a fundamental lack of planning, development, testing, rollout, and most importantly - communication. The board upgrade is not the issue. The tweaks that would need to be dealt with post-rollout is not the issue. Getting used to a new message board platform is not really the issue (that takes care of itself in time). The issue is that there was no communication around this, and it was very clearly prematurely rolled out. We pay money to the 10c, and are customers - although I don't think that is often taken into account by the 10c mgmt. Getting negative customer feedback when an issue creates customer dissatisfaction shouldn't come as a surprise. It is a pretty standard response and every business is aware of it. The problem is that the 10c doesn't always act like a business. I know we shouldn't call names, but someone should be held accountable. The reality is nobody will be held accountable, and we'll be made to feel ungrateful for complaining.
    The hell is the thumbs-up thingy?

Well said, jeffbr.

I hope the feedback (since it was requested) is sincerely considered, if not heeded. I hope the criticism is taken as constructive rather than personal - like you said, it's a business. Consumer input is paramount, as is the response from the seller.

Hopefully what can be improved, will.
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

The issue is that there wuas no communication around this, and it was very clearly prematurely rolled out.

Since it was my post, I figure I'll chime in. I think that with better planning and communication we would have been better prepared for the changes. They could have previewed the changes, solicited feedback at that time, made some modifications and corrections, let everyone know when it was happening, and potentially even had a beta site or sandbox for people to use, etc... At that point people would have already known what to expect, the many tweaks that are occurring now would have already been done, they could have potentially already changed the look and feel. When we then logged into the new boards there would have been no surprise or shock. People still might not have liked it, but the swift negative reaction, and the piling on would have been less severe. Instead they rolled it out with little to no testing, no communication, no ability to get any advanced feedback, and are now scrambling.

It was the lack of communication that started the whole shitstorm. We're already seeing some people saying they're feeling better about it a few days later. Imagine if we'd known weeks earlier what we were in for. Far fewer complaints, and a much smoother rollout would have been the result. Even if you didn't like it you would have been prepared for it.
    Thats fair enough. Whilst i dont mind this change I was just interested to understand your concerns
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,777
    edited January 2014
    jeffbr said:

Kat said:

I will repeat this for you. Please read it carefully. "Some people are approaching some very thin ice. If you'd like to comment on the forum change, that's fine. Rude comments about people, Ten Club, Band, other employees of the band are NOT ok. See the Posting Guidelines to preserve posting privileges."

This thread exists to discuss the forum change. You can agree or disagree with the change. You can discuss it. You can make polite suggestions. What you cannot do is make rude personal comments about people. Not ever. Not about each other; not about any employee of the band. It's NEVER ok. If you choose to do it, you are choosing to have your account be permanently read-only. Please don't make that choice. I hope that's clearer now. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear the first time. That was the focus of what I was saying.

Admin

Post edited by Kat on
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited January 2014
    jeffbr said:

A few days later and my eyes are still screaming at me, as well as my head, just from trying to read all the text in your post. (and that's with it enlarged. The more words, the more strain my eyes must do). BTW, anyone notice that enlarging it, enlarges any other site you visit?

One thing I've noticed over the years. 10c sucks the big one when it comes to communication. When you refuse to communicate with your base, of course there's gonna be problems. And we should expect this by now.

However, when insisting to cause eye pain to your base? And not correct it, or even address it after numerous complaints? Well, now that's an all new low. That's why I think they are doing this to diminish traffic, purposely.

I have to bold it just to friggin read it.

Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options

.... Its kind of like when Bush was president, nothing makes sense but that is who is calling the shots.

but I didn't vote for Bush, so as they say, "if you didn't vote, you can't complain"

I voted, and the wrong person (IMHO) didn't win.

here, we didn't get to 'vote', so that is why so many people are upset.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    If a white background really bothers you, you probably need to go to some other sites besides this. You'll see that it's very common. I'm thinking google, apple...