Options

New forum discussion here!

Comments

• Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    yeah, i dont think the colors are the problem either...but seeing Dimitris side-by-side comparison makes you realize what a mess this new board looks like. The old one was so neat and clean and organized. This is shit soup jumbalaya.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,087
    edited January 2014
    Here's how I'm viewing this new message board on the PC. WindowsXP FireFox 26. 1024 x 768.

Page 1 .. image

Page 2 .. image

Page 3 .. image

Other then the text could be a little bit bigger (well, I can make it bigger on my own using my keyboard by holding Ctrl +. Smaller by holding Ctrl -) and the Popular Tags on Page 1 is unnecessary on the page, I don't see anything wrong viewing this message board, on a desktop PC.

On the mobile phone. I'm using old school Blackberry. And it looks great. No need to zoom in & out at all. The text is big and so clean.
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,737
    best thing I did was turn off the signatures, reading became much easier.
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    demetrios said:

Here's how I'm viewing this new message board on the PC. WindowsXP FireFox 26. 1024 x 768.

Page 1 .. imagehttp://imgur.com/YEzzSTJ

Page 2 .. imagehttp://imgur.com/tGB6AHc

Page 3 .. imagehttp://imgur.com/tow9FBL

Other then the text could be a little bit bigger (well, I can make it bigger on my own using my keyboard by holding Ctrl +. Smaller by holding Ctrl -) and the Popular Tags on Page 1 is unnecessary on the page, I don't see anything wrong viewing this message board, on a desktop PC.

On the mobile phone. I'm using old school Blackberry. And it looks great. No need to zoom in & out at all. The text is big and so clean.

It's fantastic on my Galaxy Note, such an improvement to how I would use the old site on my phone. In fact when browsing on my phone on the old forum I wouldn't post, just browse. But last night I was able to make posts & replies on the phone. I'm a fan of the new site!

2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:

best thing I did was turn off the signatures, reading became much easier.

BIG TIME!!! http://community.pearljam.com/profile/signature .. is so good!! :)

Hide signatures always? Check!

Hide signatures on my mobile device? Check!

Strip images out of signatures? Check!
  • Options
    boyo79 said:

demetrios said:

Page 1 .. imagehttp://imgur.com/YEzzSTJ

Page 2 .. imagehttp://imgur.com/tGB6AHc

Page 3 .. imagehttp://imgur.com/tow9FBL

It's fantastic on my Galaxy Note, such an improvement to how I would use the old site on my phone. In fact when browsing on my phone on the old forum I wouldn't post, just browse. But last night I was able to make posts & replies on the phone. I'm a fan of the new site!

That's all I pretty much did during the work day. I couldn't post on my work phone. I could though log into my account and buy PJ goodies, but could never post, reply or check pm's with it. Now I can. It's awesome!! :)
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    Forum seems to work fine on my Desktop (work 7 Home), Iphone, & Ipad. turning off signatures is the best thing you can do.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339

I quote perfectlefts14 about his design comment and from that moment the same comment of mine is saved from yesterday at leave a comment box here..everytime i open this page .even refresh page..go out and return to the forum,the comment is still here..i delete it.still in the box...epic!

have you cleared your drafts folder?

did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    edited January 2014
    I still think it looks cluttered, too busy and unfinished. I agree with JohnnyPistachio. In comparison, this new version does not only pale, but become invisible. I'm happy for all the people who use the forum on the phone and find it easier to use now. I hardly ever use it on the phone. On the PC, it is not as much fun as the old board was.
    demetrios said:

Page 1 .. image

Just this looks like such a mess. Maybe just making the background of the major categories grey or something like that would help. It's ugly. The old site had such a nice, smooth, organised, organic look.

Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,792
    I'm happy for those of you who like the new forum format. Have fun and goodbye until it changes to something better again.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,677
    edited January 2014
    demetrios said:

Page 1 .. image

Page 2 .. image

Page 3 .. image

Wow. I think it looks awful myself. A cluttered mess and unpleasant to look at. The colours are horrible. That blue on white really is uncomfortable for my eyes. On my phone it is much easier to post, which is really great. However, a lot of functionality is lost on the phone view. There are actually things that you can't see. I.e. I can't see who posted threads or who the last replier was or even when the last post was made in a thread when I'm on my phone. I don't like missing info in a phone view.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,106
    PJ_Soul said:

demetrios said:

Page 1 .. image

Page 2 .. image

Page 3 .. image

Wow. I think it looks awful myself. A cluttered mess and unpleasant to look at. The colours are horrible. That blue on white really is uncomfortable for my eyes. On my phone it is much easier to post, which is really great. However, a lot of functionality is lost on the phone view. There are actually things that you can't see. I.e. I can't see who posted threads or who the last replier was or even when the last post was made in a thread when I'm on my phone. I don't like missing info in a phone view.
    I agree. It looks terrible in comparison to old forum. Like pdlowsky said its not the end of the world, but I much prefer the old version. This just looks bad. I don't find it much better on my phone like others either. Ok I don't have to scroll left and right but it still looks like bad to me. I didn't mind the old forum on my phone.
  • Options
    Jus noticed the edit function is now available for a full day
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,957
    Its like it's still christmas!
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:

Yeah.... which is basically just as useless as an hour. We need no limit on the editing.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,106
    pdalowsky said:

I'm hoping changes like this continue. Not being able to edit posts is just plain stupid. A lot of helpful threads need to have the original post updated. I'm trying to be patient and hope A LOT of things continue to be improved/changed.
  • Options
    anyone know what 'points' are on some peoples profiles?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    pdalowsky said:

anyone know what 'points' are on some peoples profiles?

There was a failed attempt at adding a like and dislike button. When people clicked on it it added good or bad points to our profiles. There were also points connected to the flag button (warning points). It only lasted an hour or so. It was an immediate complete failure at trying to get us to mod ourselves I think (they were just messing around with the options really).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I can read it more easily on my phone than my PC but I can't really say if this version is an improvement because I never used my phone to check the board before the update. And I'd still rather use my PC or laptop. Maybe I'm the only person who feels that way but with my crappy eyesight I just like using a larger screen.

I come here for enjoyment, not stress.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,957
    What if the forum has become sentient? What if its got Santos and Kat bound up with wires? What if the new forum is actually EVIL?
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    Spags said:

What if the forum has become sentient? What if its got Santos and Kat bound up with wires? What if the new forum is actually EVIL?

• Options
    AlfonzAlfonz Posts: 125
    It is a horrible mess on a PC.

The first thing they could do is make it fill the full width of the screen (and I don't mean by Ctrl + to make the text enormous). And that goes for the whole site, not just the forum.
  • Options
    justam said:

They wanted to slow the train down. Get rid of some of the crowd.

I said something similar in other posts. It's gotta make you wonder...
  • Options

justam said:

They wanted to slow the train down. Get rid of some of the crowd.

I said something similar in other posts. It's gotta make you wonder...
    I can't come up with any reason as to why they would want to do that. I think they really thought it would make things better for the members.... which is a bit disturbing. Kind of reflects a level of cluelessness that surprises me.
  • Options
    does bruce have an official forum?
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Ok, here's my two pennies...

This new board is very hard on the eyes, and very hard on the brain.

I just googled four band official forums which I have never been to before. I found all of them immediately easy to navigate and view. Any of these designs would be a good option, if they don't want to return to the old style.

Feel free to click on some of these forums and give your opinion on here, or to include more. I'm trying to make it easy for 10c to look at alternatives to this new board.

There is no reason that the PJ board needs to be so crazy looking, unless they are trying to decrease current users, and scare away future new users.

Here are 4 alternative design ideas:

http://blackcrowes.org/forum/

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/

http://forum.rekordsrekords.com/forum/

http://www.metallicabb.com/

ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited January 2014
    You gotta wonder why who's in charge and why they won't communicate with the members...
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Looks like the last three are the same!
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,775
    Some people are approaching some very thin ice. If you'd like to comment on the forum change, that's fine. Rude comments about people, Ten Club, Band, other employees of the band are NOT ok. See the Posting Guidelines to preserve posting privileges.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    TinAntTinAnt Posts: 343
    Kat it's TOO BRIGHT