Options

New forum discussion here!

Comments

• Options
    kg162716kg162716 Posts: 567
    edited January 2014
    Kat said:

Some people are approaching some very thin ice. If you'd like to comment on the forum change, that's fine. Rude comments about people, Ten Club, Band, other employees of the band are NOT ok. See the Posting Guidelines to preserve posting privileges.

So what are your thoughts of the forum Kat?
    Here to stay no matter what?
    Post edited by kg162716 on
    Toronto '03, Boston '04, Halifax '05, Boston 1&2 '06, Mansfield 1&2 '08, Boston '10, Toronto 1&2 '11, Brooklyn 1&2 13, Sao Paulo '15, Brasilia '15, Belo Horizonte '15, Rio '15, Quebec '16, Fenway '1&2 16', Seattle 1 & 2 18', Quebec ‘22
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752
    Kat said:

Some people are approaching some very thin ice. If you'd like to comment on the forum change, that's fine. Rude comments about people, Ten Club, Band, other employees of the band are NOT ok. See the Posting Guidelines to preserve posting privileges.

You're right. Sorry for my comment. I'm just confused.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,777
    edited January 2014
    kg162716 said:

Were you around in 1994 on the AOL boards when that place was huge? That "board" locked up at 500 posts...and that happened a LOT. :x And were you around in 1998 for our first official forum? That one broke all the time...but we had an official place to talk about our favorite band's music and tours and etc. I'm sorry some people are unhappy but this is our forum now. We'll work on it being a really nice place where people can connect, on computer and mobile devices. :x

.................temporary sig................
    Feel like voting?
    http://loudwire.com/best-rock-song-of-2013-3rd-annual-loudwire-music-awards/
    Post edited by Kat on
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Kat said:

kg162716 said:

Were you around in 1994 on the AOL boards when that place was huge? That "board" locked up at 500 posts...and that happened a LOT. :x And were you around in 1998 for our first official forum? That one broke all the time...but we had an official place to talk about our favorite band's music and tours and etc. I'm sorry some people are unhappy but this is our forum now. We'll work on it being a really nice place where people can connect, on computer and mobile devices. :x
    Great, but will there be changes to the main things that people are complaining about? How it's so hard to look at and is giving people actual headaches? And the limited editing time? I realize 10C isn't going back to the old one, but can we expect these kinds of improvements? Or is THIS as it is today your forum now? I think people just really want to know if these basic glaring problems will be addressed.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    If a simple change to the background color was made, that would alleviate about 75% of the complaints on the new board.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options

If a simple change to the background color was made, that would alleviate about 75% of the complaints on the new board.

That is a fact.
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    they're.working.on.it.
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    TinAntTinAnt Posts: 343
    Kat said:

kg162716 said:

I can't read the forums for more than a few minutes without having the feeling I'm staring into the sun. It's too bright!
  • Options

This really is the biggest thing Kat. Why can't you guys address this #1 complaint?
  • Options
    edited January 2014

they're.working.on.it.

How do you know? No one from 10C has said anything about fixing the blinding colours. That's why I asked Kat.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,765
    I'll get used to it. The only thing I wish they'd have done is get rid of or reset the post counts.

Even better, to make it fair they could have assigned post counts by lottery.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,375

I agree. In fact, I've already written a greasemonkey script for Firefox to do this. It's so much easier to read with a grey background.

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,490
    edited January 2014
    Kat said:

<. I'm sorry some people are unhappy but this is our forum now. . :x</p>

Trust me Kat...its more easy to count the one are happy with new forum.....cos those "Some people are unhappy' are ALOT...
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

they're.working.on.it.

How do you know? No one from 10C has said anything about fixing the blinding colours. That's why I asked Kat.
    Kat said:

We'll work on it being a really nice place where people can connect, on computer and mobile devices. :x

• Options

:) =D>
    there is no way to peace, peace is the way!
    ...the world is come undone, I like to change it everyday but change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

they're.working.on.it.

Kat said:

We'll work on it being a really nice place where people can connect, on computer and mobile devices. :x

Typically, in a business relationship (such as ours), the business will work WITH the customer for the greatest outcome for both parties. If they can't hear us out on the blinding white background which happens to be the biggest complaint, then what does that say about the business?
  • Options
    edited January 2014

PJ_Soul said:

they're.working.on.it.

Kat said:

That's very vague. I was asking Kat specifically about the colours and the editing. What she said doesn't mean that either of those two things will be changed. I think the fact that even the colours haven't changed yet despite the physical discomfort being reported is making us wonder if it will ever be changed, since that one thing seems like something that could be changed quickly. I just would have thought that would be priority #1..... Obviously, there could be issues that we don't know about preventing them from making this change, but it's hard to imagine what that could be.... It's also possible that they disagree with everyone here, and have no plans on doing anything about it. I was just hoping they could let us know about the specific issue of the blinding colours. If it's going to change, we'll obviously find out eventually - when it changes - but considering the fact that some people actually feel distressed about it, a quick message to say that that change is coming would be appreciated.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

they're.working.on.it.

Kat said:

Typically, in a business relationship (such as ours), the business will work WITH the customer for the greatest outcome for both parties. If they can't hear us out on the blinding white background which happens to be the biggest complaint, then what does that say about the business?
    they kind of are (working with the customer).

they could have just shut it down entirely until it was completed.

but what do i know?

• Options
    Walking the milesWalking the miles Toronto Posts: 548

Is anybody elses left side of the pages partially cut off? I mean I see just a tincy piece of peoples avatars and Discussion topics..
    LOL please don't kill me for posting in the wrong threads~

I have the same issue. The left side is cut off. Not sure how to fix it. Not a fan of all the white either.

What browser and version are you using? I had an issue with an older IE browser. Up to date one doesn't have that issue.
    Thanks, I'll get my IT guy on it at work when he is back from vacation. What else am I going to do at work?

"Feel the path of everyday....which road you taking?"

Barrie, ON '98
    Toronto, ON '00/'03/'06/'09/'11/'16(x2)
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    You guys really go back after 24 hours to edit stuff? Thats important?
    And as someone else said, why is white such a big deal? I think the teal makes it look bad, but how many other programs do we use that the whole background is white? Facebook, outlook, word, excel, evreything I use is white, that doesnt bother me...

I just think the loose, messy look is the problem.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,347
    edited January 2014
    The background is very bright, yes, but this in combo with the tiny font makes it so hard to read, in my opinion... Well, and I don't love the teal as well. But I could live with that. The messy look confuses me, and I think with a couple of background colours this can be helped. It's not a whole lot that needs change, just some tweaks here and there...

But I also think it sounds like they are working on it.

PS - I sometimes went back and edited stuff after 24 hours. Well, and the setlist, donations etc threads need to go back after 24 hours.

Also, what comes to my mind right now is... Even though it was bugging me a bit that I was withheld from posting a reply when somebody else was quicker, I would like it now, especially with the lost "delete" option.
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    how is this PJ related?
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,821
    know1 said:

I'll get used to it. The only thing I wish they'd have done is get rid of or reset the post counts.

It would be great that beside our name they don't include the post count. If you want to know about the user's post count, just click on the user's name. I don't like it when the post count number is in bold black and stands out more then the post.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

And as someone else said, why is white such a big deal? I think the teal makes it look bad, but how many other programs do we use that the whole background is white? Facebook, outlook, word, excel, evreything I use is white, that doesnt bother me...

Minor differences can have a huge impact on how our eyes handle things. I don't know anything about the science behind vision. All I know is that I actually get a headache when I read this forum for more than five minutes, and that my eyes feel very uncomfortable while looking at it. I don't get that when I look at facebook, so obviously whatever the differences are have a big impact (I know that the facebook blue is WAY easier to deal with against white than the blue or turquoise they're using here is). For editing, yeah, people need to edit after 24 all the time, because they need to update OPs all the time. For updates on sales in Lost Dogs or to close sales, for raffles, preparty info threads, fantasy leagues, set list feeds, etc etc. I find that an important feature and many of us use it all the time.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    demetrios said:

know1 said:

It would be great that beside our name they don't include the post count. If you want to know about the user's post count, just click on the user's name. I don't like it when the post count number is in bold black and stands out more then the post.
    I agree. I don't really find it relevant at all - just more shit messing up the page.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

That's very vague. I was asking Kat specifically about the colours and the editing. What she said doesn't mean that either of those two things will be changed. I think the fact that even the colours haven't changed yet despite the physical discomfort being reported is making us wonder if it will ever be changed, since that one thing seems like something that could be changed quickly. I just would have thought that would be priority #1..... Obviously, there could be issues that we don't know about preventing them from making this change, but it's hard to imagine what that could be.... It's also possible that they disagree with everyone here, and have no plans on doing anything about it. I was just hoping they could let us know about the specific issue of the blinding colours. If it's going to change, we'll obviously find out eventually - when it changes - but considering the fact that some people actually feel distressed about it, a quick message to say that that change is coming would be appreciated.

justam said:

They wanted to slow the train down. Get rid of some of the crowd.

I said something similar in other posts. It's gotta make you wonder...
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    PJ_Soul said:

Minor differences can have a huge impact on how our eyes handle things. I don't know anything about the science behind vision. All I know is that I actually get a headache when I read this forum for more than five minutes, and that my eyes feel very uncomfortable while looking at it. I don't get that when I look at facebook, so obviously whatever the differences are have a big impact (I know that the facebook blue is WAY easier to deal with against white than the blue or turquoise they're using here is). For editing, yeah, people need to edit after 24 all the time, because they need to update OPs all the time. For updates on sales in Lost Dogs or to close sales, for raffles, preparty info threads, fantasy leagues, set list feeds, etc etc. I find that an important feature and many of us use it all the time.
    Ahh, I see...that makes sense I guess..I never update or edit stuff. I didnt think of those things. I assume they will change that since it used to be an hour and now its 24 hrs.

have you done the old "Ctrl +"? ....Though its kinda sad that we have to do that at all.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,490
    For some few people the only problem with the whole is the users post count.....
    No pro that u get blind..no pro cant read more than 2 min..no pro that people lost their user names.no pro people lost pms..no pro lost their friend list.no pro cant control their user page.no pro that we become oprah gossip site and we read everyones private conversarion.no pro u cant see delete a post.no pro that people cant log in..
    Im pretty sure if wasnt me with the most post here even that wouldnt be the problem...

The good part is ..with so much light here..the ones need it.will get some free tan than pay for solarium..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,996
    Turning signatures off makes a big difference.

I also changed my quote preferences so that no quotes are ever hidden. It makes it a little easier to follow.

Small improvements both but not enough to fix the overall issues with the new board.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    edited January 2014

PJ_Soul said:

Ahh, I see...that makes sense I guess..I never update or edit stuff. I didnt think of those things. I assume they will change that since it used to be an hour and now its 24 hrs.

have you done the old "Ctrl +"? ....Though its kinda sad that we have to do that at all.
    Yeah, I have no probs with the font size now (I think it's got a bit bigger). It's just the colours for me. I personally have very sensitive eyes when it comes to light anyway (have to wear sunglasses on cloudy days often). This website has a glare to it that hurts me. I would put on sunglasses, but I'm at work and it would be way too weird. image