Options

New forum discussion here!

Comments

• Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    The best word I've seen to describe this is "toy-like". Another great comparison is like being stuck in a lego nightmare from Dr. Delight. This is horrible. Some company was clearly overpaid for this new format and you are undoubtedly going to lose users. Is this a Justin Bieber operation?
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    rival9500rival9500 Posts: 542
    Please change it back.
    1998: Pitt
    2000: Pitt
    2003: Pitt, State College, Columbus,DC, Hershey
    2004: Reading, Toledo, DC
    2005: Pitt
    2006: Cleve, Camden 1+2, DC, Pitt, Cinci
    2008: Camden 1+2, DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Columbus
    2012: Philly
    2013: Pitt, NYC 1+2
  • Options
    My problem with it is that everything is too weirdly laid out, it makes you really stress to read and understand the forum

There was no need to fix the forums, nothing was broken - until now
  • Options
    I don't see myself using this forum much any more. Great job on driving traffic away from the site.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    The brave thing to do is admit failure. One word: WHY? I'll check in later and hope this nightmare in miniature is over. bArF
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    Kat said:

Please stand by…for a change in our forums categories !

• Options
    If you right click on your avatar, and then click "properties" on the bottom, you will see that the new Pearl Jam forum is hosted by "vanilla forums". here's what Wikipedia says about vanilla:

Vanilla is a free,[8] FOSS, pluggable, themable, multi-lingual community-building product to host a forum on your own server infrastructure.

It's FREE?

Kat, is it free? and is this the reason for the unneeded switch?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    other users of "vanilla forums" per Wiki

Penny Arcade Forums (Hosted Vanilla)
    Babyforum.at
    Marvel Superheroes (Hosted Vanilla)
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Vanilla Forums allows just about ANYBODY with varying levels of technological know-how to quickly set up an online community that is powerful, simple and packed with just about everything to take the community off the ground

web.appstorm.net/reviews/communications/another-look-at-vanilla-online-communities-reinvented/

vanilla is used for "start-up" communities.

Ok, come clean--what the hell?
    Post edited by rollings on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    Vanilla. Well that says it all. I'm outa here.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    slinger256slinger256 Victoria Posts: 371
    It's like they started to change the format and stopped halfway through and left it in demo mode.
  • Options
    Okay, so I didn't like it at first but I have to admit that it looks a little better now that I'm logged in again. (Didn't realize I'd been logged out, but that makes sense.) The font is tiny as fk, and that's a problem. What is this, a font for ants?

I do like that I have notifications. I dunno if those were there before on the old board, but I like 'em. So I don't have to keep pages of threads open to see who's replying. But maybe it only works on threads I created. Anybody know yet if you get notified if people quote your post? Cuz that would be neat. But maybe they had that before, I just don't know.

What I don't like is that everyone's bios apparently went away. I had stuff in my bio. I was proud of it. I guess the TOS I agreed to probably makes my bio the forum's property and not mine, but still... I liked it. I liked knowing who was where and how old they were (if they chose to share it) and I liked reading whatever they thought pertinent to share about themselves. It was neat. So, here's hoping that comes back somehow. Or that maybe I've missed that too, like I was missing things because I was logged out. Or do I have to re-add it as a comment under Activity?

/sigh
    11/24/13 - LA, Night 2
    11/23/13 - LA, Night 1
    11/21/13 - San Diego
    10/30/00 - Sacramento
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    rollings said:

other users of "vanilla forums" per Wiki

Penny Arcade Forums (Hosted Vanilla)
    Babyforum.at
    Marvel Superheroes (Hosted Vanilla)

I suddenly feel like I should be posting from a 486x computer, sitting in the basement surrounded by D&D books and dice whilst ignoring a screaming infant...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    I was very open minded about the change and ready to embrace it and spend a little time adjusting to the new format and navigation etc

Well I've had a good go this last day and really had a good look around... My only conclusion is like many others I hope a backward step is made. Going backwards is something I would normally frown upon but there are times when it is necessary when the forward step is a disaster. There are a few cool new features but the overall impact is not good.

Sometimes it's important to react to the fanbase.... Family guy is a great recent example
  • Options
    moretonbayfigmoretonbayfig Australia Posts: 805
    Hi Kat, I'm viewing and using this format for the first time today (via iPhone app) so please forgive me if my feedback is in any way off the mark. Some thoughts:
    - seems easier to log in via the app than the previous app and I like the 'one touch' login
    - the text in the app is larger with greater spacing which in some ways makes the app easier to navigate, but the increased white space and background is hammering my eyes!? And the overall reading experience is unpleasant.
    - where is the PJ branding in the forums? There seems to be a disconnect between the 10c and PJ which I didn't experience in in other format.

Thanks for reading all of our comments and letting our voices be heard. If running costs are becoming a factor, perhaps consider opening up some of the problems to the 10c membership for problem-solving and input? Although we are not share-holders or board members, we are 'investors' of sort in this band and club... Surely there are tech and it professionals amongst this membership who would offer their services... If y'all would only ask...

Thank you again Kat and everyone for all that you do,
    M x
  • Options
    -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    rollings said:

If you right click on your avatar, and then click "properties" on the bottom, you will see that the new Pearl Jam forum is hosted by "vanilla forums". here's what Wikipedia says about vanilla:

Vanilla is a free,[8] FOSS, pluggable, themable, multi-lingual community-building product to host a forum on your own server infrastructure.

It's FREE?

On their website they offer a free trial, but their plans cost money:

http://vanillaforums.com/plans

PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Options
    emjotemjot Posts: 2,722
    edited January 2014
    I don't really care, we can get used to everything, I guess. But I DO CARE about my eyes. I wear glasses and the new layout is extremely hard to read, gives me sore eyes and sore head too, after only a few minutes of using it. I can't see myself using the forum the way I used to do it before. Not unless the text is gonna be bigger and the background colour is gonna change too, or at least we're gonna be able to change it in our settings. I'm off now. My head and eyes hurt.
    Post edited by emjot on
    PJ * 2010 * Belfast * 2012 * Manchester 1 * Manchester 2 * Berlin 1 * Berlin 2 * 2014 * Amsterdam 1 * Amsterdam 2 * Berlin * Leeds * Milton Keynes *
    EV * 2012 * Manchester * London 1 * London 2 * 2017 * Dublin * Cork *
  • Options

So there seem to be people who cannot log in with their old log ins. Can anybody who experienced this and had to choose a new name tell how they handled this? Asking for a friend who cannot log in.

I had to choose a new login name (click the Other option, provide a new login name and leave the password blank). You can then log in with your new login name. But there's no info yet on how you can get back to your old username. :(
    In hindsight I should've chosen a name like THIS_FORUM_FUCKING_SUCKS or something like that. Maybe that would bring attention to this issue.

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    im all in for changes for sure im not a complainer just for complain about all. but here we are talking about most of people dislike this new thing.
    and the ones post,are the ones usualy comes here daily,so i think this is important..
    -ok,the hard to read part is so obvious..
    -you cant delete your post is wrong,you cant edit your post is wrogn.
    -people dont know whats the difference with activity and pm and we all read their conversation,is wrong.and Violated the privacy of the members..
    -same thing with your wall-activity..anyone can write at eveyones wall and the user cant control it or delete it.
    -.if someone is connected to facebook or twitter and write to my wall or quote me,then our conversation goes public at their wall at facebook and twitter,again this is against my privacy
    -so many members cant log in,and need to change their user name..
    -i lost so many pm
    -if you want to read a pm with a member,,there are no tittles at pm,so its conversation between you two and need to read all again
    -lost friends list,was important to find someone,without need to memorize his username
    -if u want to read the new topics,u need to pass 300 sticky threads first
    -the search button is usuless,always nothing is the result as many times i tried.

what we got in return?
    -i get notifications that someone post in a thread i started..well,i could just clik at thread and see that
    -some says is better at their phones-well,not all members have smartphones you know..
    -some says is better with the pj app- well,not all of us have iphone,cos its available at iphones only
    -we can post bigger pictures,well that good for eddie looks hot thread
    -we can add videos,its good for the lazy people ,they dont need to clik at the you tube link,they watch it here
    -all members has avatar!epic!!!

well,my opinion is change it back asap and add those 3-4 new thing..members post videos-photos ,have avatars,get notification
    and protect our privacy and our eyes..

please Kat or whoever,pass to the people make the calls what all the members posting about the new forum ,their feedback ..we love this place,dont make us leave

thanks
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    So any other good pj forums with less shitty message boards out there?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    -Emma- said:

rollings said:

It's FREE?

On their website they offer a free trial, but their plans cost money:

http://vanillaforums.com/plans

To be entirely honest, many forums are run with open-source software, and are actually run quite well. Open source is good for getting feedback from clients, which in turn gives the product creators an ability to tweak fairly easily - Android is open source and people seem to enjoy using it. What I do have an issue with is the inherent quality control of the human experience. If you were a chef and served your food without trying it first, you'd be fired. Who ever put this website live without fixing the glaring issues which may as well be plastered with large "FIX ME" signs - well, I'm not in charge of 10C hirings. I just hope this was done internally rather than hiring a design firm to make all of these mistakes. In either case, it should be embarrassing for the company.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Sorry guys. First impressions: truly awful.

Cramped and untidy-looking and everything is far too small. It's difficult to read, hard on the eyes.

The sidebar menu is dreadful and unnecessary. Most people won't use many of the forums, so having them all there, taking up space and squeezing the rest of the content is pointless. The menu only takes up part of that space at the top of the page, yet it means you lose 20% of the width of the page to an empty white column beneath it. Terrible design and a totally unnecessary waste of space.The old breadcrumb trail was just fine.

Users signatures now look like they're part of the message, being in the same size font and only separated by a faint line. Totally wrecks the easy readability of threads, especially since most signatures are longer than the posts themselves.

All in all, very poor user-unfriendly design.

To put not to fine a point on it, the new design would put me off using the forum altogether.
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    WE HAVE TO GO BACK KAT!!!WE HAVE TO GO BACK!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39BIdOP0D6E
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,070
    edited January 2014
    We have to send a T-800 back in time to protect the old forum from this T-1000-TIMES-WORSE-FORUM advanced prototype metal alloy piece of shit.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    SpokenSpoken Posts: 1,447
    It hurts to look at!
    Why Stone, Why?
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,316
    Everytime I look at this new forum I get a headache. And that's before I read anything.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    why did every single one of my private messages that were deleted come back? I have an inbox that goes back at least 3 years if not further
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    damn....looks the same this morning, too!!!
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,077
    The old forum, I believe, automatically resized itself to whatever screen resolution was set. This new forum is designed for a fixed resolution, and I have to scroll left-right to read messages. That sucks. In any case, I didn't have this problem before.

Also, it seems I cannot resize the forum on my ipod, to make it more readable or to zoom in on a photo, as can be done with most websites.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    I think it is starting to make more sense now that I had a chance to look at it on the computer. Yesterday I was mobile all day and felt very lost. The white is definitely hard on the eyes. I lost a lot of pms too.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden