New forum discussion here!

Comments

• Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    PJ_Soul said:

Kat said:

pjradio said:

Kat said:

There is no way to delete your own post.

even if no one has responded to it?

You cannot remove it.

And Dr. Delight, I wonder what we'll see after the Late Night Crew? We sure don't want to work out the mod options...but it won't be our choice, will it? Margaritas for everyone! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.
    I dont know what that means Kat....... 8-}
    I believe she means that drunk people better watch what they say late at night or else they'll be sent to detention. Or maybe worse! :-SS image;) Don't worry Kat, everyone's been so good lately. Right? :D
    Thanks for the interpretation Soul
    :-B
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
  • Options
    neta6neta6 Poland Posts: 9
    strange and confusing to navigate...
    Chorzów 2007, Gdynia 2010, Berlin 2012, Milan 2014, Gdynia 2014
  • Options
    kg162716kg162716 Posts: 567
    Usually these type of things evolve, but this new setup seems primitive...Early ICQ...Really weak
    Toronto '03, Boston '04, Halifax '05, Boston 1&2 '06, Mansfield 1&2 '08, Boston '10, Toronto 1&2 '11, Brooklyn 1&2 13, Sao Paulo '15, Brasilia '15, Belo Horizonte '15, Rio '15, Quebec '16, Fenway '1&2 16', Seattle 1 & 2 18', Quebec ‘22
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,001
    Hey Kat, since you're asking for a discussion, here are my sentiments on the site.

“Pearljam Community”. Really?

On the main page - why are sub-headings aligned further to the right than the headings if they’re nearly equal font size? Keep everything aligned as it’s distracting to see text moving left and right.

Spacing: why is there so much more space beneath headings than above it (take Not Pearl Jam’s Music, for example)? Being consistent and going with age-old standards would be nice.

Popular Tags: this is not Twitter. We come here to make statements longer than 140 characters to each other.

Category Filter: Why opt people into followed categories as a default, when 95% of the viewers won’t notice and hence will never change it to all categories?

Who’s Online: Unnecessary, but nice! I like seeing the usernames when I float my cursor over the images.

Reply-ability: A ‘Post Reply’ button on the top of the page would be nice, or a hidden button to post a reply when your cursor floats over a post.

Font: Horrendous. Particularly illegible on all screens I’ve viewed it on (iPad mini, iPhone, 15” MacBook, 27” iMac). Something about the spacing between letters is hard on the eyes. The default font sizes should be enlarged as well. Yes, I’m aware that my browser can change the sizes if I would like, but a good web design shouldn’t require me to do that upon each visit.

Colours: Really, where the hell are they? White? Seriously? Terrible design idea for a website all about reading – this creates eye fatigue rapidly.

Overall feel: toy-like, unprofessional, cheap knock-off, poorly translated, work in progress, beta, junk are the words that come to mind.

The guts of this are clearly nearly the same as the old design. My suggestion: offer the company who was (over)paid to ruin a good thing an ultimatum of a quality revision with the attention to detail this site needs, or money back and a smooth conversion back to the old site - which, from what I can tell, was superior in nearly every regard.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Kat said:

Jason P said:

PJ_Soul said:

L-)

I am not looking forward to the first time someone uses that one on me, lol.
    L-)
    Now that one violates the Posting Guidelines, doesn't it? [-X Follow the Posting Guidelines always and all will be ok.
    Me just giving the "your # 1" emoticon, that's all :D

Yeah, that's the ticket ... :-\"
  • Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    norm said:

please change it back...please

this crap is stressing out norm. we can't have that... change it back asap!

is there any reason why they can't go back to the old forum set up and just change the skin(s)?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    You shouldn't have to zoom in on text and dim your screen to participate on a forum.

I tried the forum from my ipod and I had to dim the screen on that too and angle it away from my eyes to read posts on the forum. Even then it wasn't comfortable for my eyes and it stopped me from spending more than a few minutes on there.

Have a look on some other band message boards and please rethink the colour scheme. You don't have to copy another message board exactly, but have a look to see what other bands are offering. Just as an example, the foo fighters message board has a dark colour scheme: http://bbs.foofighters.com/ .
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,777
    PJ_Soul said:

Kat said:

pjradio said:

Kat said:

There is no way to delete your own post.

even if no one has responded to it?

You cannot remove it.

And Dr. Delight, I wonder what we'll see after the Late Night Crew? We sure don't want to work out the mod options...but it won't be our choice, will it? Margaritas for everyone! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.
    I dont know what that means Kat....... 8-}
    I believe she means that drunk people better watch what they say late at night or else they'll be sent to detention. Or maybe worse! :-SS image;) Don't worry Kat, everyone's been so good lately. Right? :D
    Absolutely. This place is filled with great people who love the band and their music and they want to talk with other people who feel that way too. It really is a great community and I always find something to have a laugh about because you're a bunch of jokers too. :D Sending you weekend wishes again because I'm getting ready to head out. xo
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Kat ... Good question ... Why provide an emoticon that violates the posting guidelines?

Oh, snap!
    ~:>
  • Options
    benjs said:

Hey Kat, since you're asking for a discussion, here are my sentiments on the site.

“Pearljam Community”. Really?

On the main page - why are sub-headings aligned further to the right than the headings if they’re nearly equal font size? Keep everything aligned as it’s distracting to see text moving left and right.

Spacing: why is there so much more space beneath headings than above it (take Not Pearl Jam’s Music, for example)? Being consistent and going with age-old standards would be nice.

Popular Tags: this is not Twitter. We come here to make statements longer than 140 characters to each other.

Category Filter: Why opt people into followed categories as a default, when 95% of the viewers won’t notice and hence will never change it to all categories?

Who’s Online: Unnecessary, but nice! I like seeing the usernames when I float my cursor over the images.

Reply-ability: A ‘Post Reply’ button on the top of the page would be nice, or a hidden button to post a reply when your cursor floats over a post.

Font: Horrendous. Particularly illegible on all screens I’ve viewed it on (iPad mini, iPhone, 15” MacBook, 27” iMac). Something about the spacing between letters is hard on the eyes. The default font sizes should be enlarged as well. Yes, I’m aware that my browser can change the sizes if I would like, but a good web design shouldn’t require me to do that upon each visit.

Colours: Really, where the hell are they? White? Seriously? Terrible design idea for a website all about reading – this creates eye fatigue rapidly.

Overall feel: toy-like, unprofessional, cheap knock-off, poorly translated, work in progress, beta, junk are the words that come to mind.

The guts of this are clearly nearly the same as the old design. My suggestion: offer the company who was (over)paid to ruin a good thing an ultimatum of a quality revision with the attention to detail this site needs, or money back and a smooth conversion back to the old site - which, from what I can tell, was superior in nearly every regard.

All good points. In a word? The new site is definitely the work of an amateur.
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    edited January 2014
    i feel like I'm back in High School...

don't do this....don't do that! We're all (mostly) adults here, right? geeze!

Seems excessive rules (no deletion, no editing after an hour) for just an internet thing

This IS a fan club, Correct?
    Post edited by pjradio on
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    KateAKateA Posts: 182
    Please just dim the stark white background, it's an eye - killer. @-) And we can deal with the rest later on.
    Oh, and thanks for getting the avatars to work.
    <hr>Normality is the death of personality.
  • Options
    PennyBPennyB Posts: 26
    PRESBYOPIA - age-related long-sightedness - common in the over 40's. In other words, many of us over 40's find our close vision deteriorates over time and we find small fonts increasingly difficult to read, even with glasses.

The band members are all over 40. I would hazard a guess that a significant proportion of the fans on this forum are over 40.

Maybe it was a younger person with better eyesight who came up with the font, font size and background? It is important to consider the needs of the target audience. Hopefully our feedback will make a difference.

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    -Emma- said:

You shouldn't have to zoom in on text and dim your screen to participate on a forum.

I tried the forum from my ipod and I had to dim the screen on that too and angle it away from my eyes to read posts on the forum. Even then it wasn't comfortable for my eyes and it stopped me from spending more than a few minutes on there.

Have a look on some other band message boards and please rethink the colour scheme. You don't have to copy another message board exactly, but have a look to see what other bands are offering. Just as an example, the foo fighters message board has a dark colour scheme: http://bbs.foofighters.com/ .

yes, I like the FF forum...it is a bit similar to this one, but at least each individual post is separated in its own box, and you can see the signatures without problems.

I really like the dark contrast as well. image
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,745
    edited January 2014
    The one hour editing thing... Kat, are you able to tell us if this is going to change (it seems like something that wpuld be easy to fix)? It really throws a wrench into a lot of positive board activity. Being able to edit an OP is kind of a necessity is some cases...

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,347
    edited January 2014
    Rekordsrekords also has a darker style forum. It's not mega pretty, but it is intuitive. Unlike this here ... forum.rekordsrekords.com/forum/

Looks almost like the Foo forum.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,651
    this is god awful. isn't HTML something from the 90's?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,347
    One thing that bothered me a bit on the old board was that when you clicked on a link, it was set to automatically open in the same window/ tab. I always right-click the links to open them in another tab / window. That is one thing they kept here. Hmpf.
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    guessing 25/75...25% in Favor of this change....75% hating it. Plz take note....(and pay no attn to the ppl who just joined when/after LB came out...they haven't earned the right to comment on the way this forum used to be. They're just getting on the free fan club "Vinyl" bandwagon)
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited January 2014
    pjradio said:

Plz take note....(and pay no attn to the ppl who just joined when/after LB came out...they haven't earned the right to comment on the way this forum used to be. They're just getting on the free fan club "Vinyl" bandwagon)

=D>
  • Options
    KateAKateA Posts: 182
    Just got an email from Pearl Jam Community admin offering me to follow a link to a forum's thread I have already bookmarked.
    No other message in the email. Bit weird. :-/
    <hr>Normality is the death of personality.
  • Options
    nadahombrenadahombre Brooklyn Posts: 456
    Love the new forum layout. Much easier to use on a mobile device. A long overdue upgrade. Very slick great job 10c
  • Options
    Gremmie03Gremmie03 Posts: 502
    this blows looks like the design i did for html 1 class in 97.
    go back to the old like some one said earlier

worse than obamacare fiasco
    Demented and sad, but social
    Wrigley Earthcam/Hartford 2013
  • Options
    pjradio said:

guessing 25/75...25% in Favor of this change....75% hating it. Plz take note....(and pay no attn to the ppl who just joined when/after LB came out...they haven't earned the right to comment on the way this forum used to be. They're just getting on the free fan club "Vinyl" bandwagon)

Why shouldn't new users have a voice in this? Are you afraid they'll make us sound old and stodgy?

And I think your % haven't taken in account those of us that are neutral. There are certainly things that need fixing (pm seeming to be the most critical), but most of the complaints seem like knee jerk any change is bad stuff or things that you don't have to use if you don't want.

Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,745

Love the new forum layout. Much easier to use on a mobile device. A long overdue upgrade. Very slick great job 10c

Slick? Really?! Ooookaaayyy image .... But it DOES work more smoothly on a phone for sure. It's way too tiny to read, but it works way faster and more smoothly, which is one of the few good things about the change. There are still probs with mobile use (some issues with the text fitting to the screen), but it's better than before, especially for posting.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    I'm not one to complain much, but this change is ridiculous. It almost seems like a punishment to us all. So difficult to use and not user friendly whatsoever. Seems very "hollow". I hope this is not the end product of this change. A lot of people use this forum for news and other interests within this community, and I can foresee losing a lot of users on this forum because of this change. It seriously would be in your best interest and for us all to go back to the old format.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    so whats the purpose of the "Activity"section. all im seeing is everyone changing their profile pic or people using it thinking they are sending a pm. What are we suppose to do with it?
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

so whats the purpose of the "Activity"section. all im seeing is everyone changing their profile pic or people using it thinking they are sending a pm. What are we suppose to do with it?

It's like FB, You can comment on things on someone's 'wall'.
    IMHO I think it is very user unfriendly, someone commented on my ;wall' but I didn't see it, nor did I get a 'notification'-I only saw it when I was being nosy and readthru a few pages to see what everybody else was up to.
    Some people are thinking they are sending a PM, I'm thinking they don't realize it is public.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless