Options

Dear Pearl Jam, let's re-think this whole GA thing..

Comments

• Options
    ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,201
    edited December 2013
    locked wrote:
    I personally hate the GA system.

It (for the most part) rewards survival of the fittest / tallest.

I can attest to the contrary

For LA1 I got in the GA line about an hour before the gates opened and I got 5-6 rows back from the stage. I don't know that survival of the fittest really fits waiting an hour and choosing a decent spot in GA. If there is someone tall you can just move out of the way, which I did to a successful effect

It is waaayy more fair to have GA than to have a seniority based system up in front. Simple having a lottery in a couple of rows is in no way fairer than a "anyone has a chance if they are in the fan club" approach like the current GA system, which is why I like the current system
    Post edited by ForceofNature101 on
  • Options
    jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    jrnyc wrote:
    The list cartel needs to be broken. It is very clear there were traveling bands of PJ fans who dominated the front of the pit night after night. How about people who have jobs and kids who would like to up front but can't because they have adult responsibilities? They should have a shot at being up front without having to be on a sidewalk all day.

Springsteen system puts the list cartel out of business and gives all fans a shot at rail, not just the lunatics who spend their whole day on the sidewalk.
    You really do have a shot of being up front. If you don't wait in line all day you just stand directly behind the people leaning on the rail. There really isn't a difference, except that you actually have more room to rock put because there isn't an unyielding wall restricting your movements.
    Then why are people lining up at 3am on the cold sidewalk to be on the rail?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641
    jrnyc wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    jrnyc wrote:
    The list cartel needs to be broken. It is very clear there were traveling bands of PJ fans who dominated the front of the pit night after night. How about people who have jobs and kids who would like to up front but can't because they have adult responsibilities? They should have a shot at being up front without having to be on a sidewalk all day.

Springsteen system puts the list cartel out of business and gives all fans a shot at rail, not just the lunatics who spend their whole day on the sidewalk.
    You really do have a shot of being up front. If you don't wait in line all day you just stand directly behind the people leaning on the rail. There really isn't a difference, except that you actually have more room to rock put because there isn't an unyielding wall restricting your movements.
    Then why are people lining up at 3am on the cold sidewalk to be on the rail?
    Because they are psychotic?
    I honestly don't know. It makes little sense to do that just to literally get 3 feet closer, but that's what they do.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I honestly don't know. It makes little sense to do that just to literally get 9 inches closer, but that's what they do.

Fixed
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,723
    Lets keep the GA thing forever!!!!
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with the GA system other than the douche bags that want to start a list. I got in line in charlotte at 5ish and was 5 heads back in the center from the rail. There was plenty of room to move around. People were considerate and polite. There's always, let me repeat that, always going to be an asshole or two in the crowd.

Don't change a things ed. This is America. If you don't like GA, find a seat or go get a ticket to the next Lillith Fair event.
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    I am so down with that, GA is a really cool experience.

Not to mention it isn't like it is the only thing available - you still have TC reserved seats based on seniority if that floats your boat. It is a win-win as far as I am concerned

The only issue are the idiots with the "list" in GA, trying to impose and reinforce arbitrary rules that not everyone agrees on or even knows about (let alone that fact that it isn't an official policy)
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    pdalowsky wrote:
    word
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Don't change a things ed. This is America. If you don't like GA, find a seat or go get a ticket to the next Lillith Fair event.

Lilith Fair won't work, here's the 1998 festival:

lilith%20fair%20crowd-thumb-500x269-10655.png
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    I couldnt disagree more. if you dont want to stand in he GA, get a reserve seat. Yes, the "list" in the GA line sucks. What the hell do u expect when standing at a rock concert?

I have been to many GA shows of other artists and sorry, this was in no way like any other GA show I have been to.. other shows you acutally could move your arms, perhaps even extend them! You stood with a space around you.. not packed in and not with the guy behind you pressed into you from behind, the right side and left side. It is not safe.

Plus to watch a neighbor who you do not even know have to constantly be looking behind her shoulder because she was afraid the jerks were going to try to surge again is not fun.. and it is not "benefiting personally". This girl was not enjoying herself because she nearly did go down once or twice.

Which shows did you go GA at?

I ask because I went to Phx thru Oak and besides Prague last year were the most comfortable GAs I've been in. Berlin and Manchester1 last year were pretty bad.

Mins you at Man1 some guy was trying to ram his way through...and he was soon over the heads and over the rail. By his design I know not.
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    pdalowsky wrote:
    I am so down with that, GA is a really cool experience.

Not to mention it isn't like it is the only thing available - you still have TC reserved seats based on seniority if that floats your boat. It is a win-win as far as I am concerned

The only issue are the idiots with the "list" in GA, trying to impose and reinforce arbitrary rules that not everyone agrees on or even knows about (let alone that fact that it isn't an official policy)
    word
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    A small GA pit like PJ had beats floor seats up front. Seats are typically way too close together and really makes it hard to enjoy the show. With GA pit you can always find space as long as they don't oversell it.

At a minimum the list czars have to go. Also, personally I would like it to be a Springsteen system so all could have a shot at rail. At at least one show EV mentioned he recognized some people up front, those are the self absorbed, selfish, list people for sure. Those people have to go.
  • Options
    jrnyc wrote:

I can go with this. And I did do the line all day and get the rail one time so I've had the benefit.
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

• Options
    IamTom wrote:
    I couldnt disagree more. if you dont want to stand in he GA, get a reserve seat. Yes, the "list" in the GA line sucks. What the hell do u expect when standing at a rock concert?

I have been to many GA shows of other artists and sorry, this was in no way like any other GA show I have been to.. other shows you acutally could move your arms, perhaps even extend them! You stood with a space around you.. not packed in and not with the guy behind you pressed into you from behind, the right side and left side. It is not safe.

Plus to watch a neighbor who you do not even know have to constantly be looking behind her shoulder because she was afraid the jerks were going to try to surge again is not fun.. and it is not "benefiting personally". This girl was not enjoying herself because she nearly did go down once or twice.

I ask because I went to Phx thru Oak and besides Prague last year were the most comfortable GAs I've been in. Berlin and Manchester1 last year were pretty bad.

Mins you at Man1 some guy was trying to ram his way through...and he was soon over the heads and over the rail. By his design I know not.
    I was at charlotte this year and deer creek way back in the day. but in no noblesville, the GA was behind the seated area. Plus countless other ga shows back inhe 90's.
  • Options

Plus to watch a neighbor who you do not even know have to constantly be looking behind her shoulder because she was afraid the jerks were going to try to surge again is not fun.. and it is not "benefiting personally". This girl was not enjoying herself because she nearly did go down once or twice.[/quote]

Mins you at Man1 some guy was trying to ram his way through...and he was soon over the heads and over the rail. By his design I know not.[/quote]
    I was at charlotte this year and deer creek way back in the day. but in no noblesville, the GA was behind the seated area. Plus countless other ga shows back inhe 90's.[/quote]

I was aiming my question at the other fella. Seems like we're on the same page here.
    Given To Live -

• Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    Go for reserved seats next time. Let those who enjoy the GA section enjoy it :)

I agree, they should keep GA, and just move it to the back of the floor. Let all the drunk idiots jump around back there. Then let's see how popular it is.
  • Options
    I didn't read through all this, but my thought is its up to you whether or not you want to wait in line. if you want to be on the rail, yes you have to be early. theres no getting around that. but my strategy would be to be more relaxed, and stroll in whenever, and at worst, you're 15 deep but still damn close.

i got reserved this tour for my one show, but i would do GA next time if i could get the tix. nothing beats being that close
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    yep,they need to rethink it..need to be the whole floor GA only and donate the chairs to the homeless

This!

:lol:

Keep GA, adds so much energy!
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    If you don't want to(or can't) wait in line to get close then go for reserved tickets. Its not a big deal really. you're still going to have great seats.

Yes, its cool to be on the rail and close to the band. But it's also great to just be in the building. I've had nosebleed seats a few times and have had a blast. It almost seems like some people can't go to the show and enjoy it anymore if they aren't there pressed up against the rail.
  • Options
    TigaSefiTigaSefi Posts: 278
    Keep GA here. We had loads of room as we rocked up like after entry and still go nice and close without douchebags getting ahead of us.
    London 02 18/09/2009 London Hyde Park 25/06/2010 Arras 03/07/2010 Werchter 04/07/2010 Manchester 21/06/2012 Amsterdam 26/06/2012 Stockholm 07/07/2012 Portland 29/11/2013 Spokane 30/11/2013 Amsterdam 16/06/14 Leeds 08/07/14 London 02 Arena 18/06/2018 London 02 Arena 17/07/2018 London Hyde Park 08/07/2022 London Hyde Park 09/07/2022
  • Options
    NitroNitro Posts: 264
    Love GA. I went to a few shows this tour and didn't even enter until just before pearl jam came on and still was so damn close with plenty of room. Waiting all day to be three people in front of me is for the birds.
  • Options
    Love GA. Had the best experience at a PJ concert I've been to. Enjoyed my day and lined up just before doors opened and was 4-5 rows back whole night. Plenty of room and people were super cool. Way more room than many concerts I've been to at smaller venues. Think its a great idea for longtime fans to get a chance up close to see their favorite band.
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    I had GA for Worcester 2 and Seattle on this tour. I didn't try for the rail in Worcester. I was 10 people from the rail in front of Jeff & had a great time. My friend (who lives in the Seattle area) and I decided to line up early to get close for Seattle. I was a bit concerned about "the list" because of the stories I had read here about people getting great list numbers then enjoying the city and coming back an hour before doors to their old spot in line. I can say that didn't happen in Seattle. There were line checks at specific times (which were announced to all who were there) so all would know when the next one was. If you missed 1 line check you no longer had a number & had to get a new (worse) one if you so chose to get a number again. Here is when the line checks were held: 6am, 9am, 11:30am, 2pm, 4pm, 5pm. As you can see, it would be impossible to go enjoy the tourist sites of Seattle & make it back for the next line check. People were looking out for each other. Donuts and (lots of) coffee were bought for sharing with other fans. I met awesome fans from (among other places) Brazil, Italy, Australia, Canada, Rhode Island, Denver, Ohio, and NYC. I caught up with friends from Chicago I had met on the 1st leg. When it was time to go inside the Key we were walked in. I had the rail between an Italian man and a Brazilian woman. This was my 58th PJ show and my first time on the rail. It was a memorable experience not only for the show (which I loved) but also for the people I shared it with. If GA can be run this way for future USA/Canada shows, then I think it can not only continue but flourish.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    locked wrote:
    I personally hate the GA system.

It (for the most part) rewards survival of the fittest / tallest.

And it's another stab , push back of folks who have seniority.

And I almost wince at admitting I have seniority. We seem to be the new "smokers " everybody hates us, band bends backwards to make sure we have limited ticket benefits lately.

We've already got the lottery for rows 1-2 ; 9&10.

Now we have another "Lottery" just to get "any" ticket.

That's fine, I get the bands desire for "fairness" but I think a permanent GA relegates anyone under 6 feet (and not wanting to "camp out" the entire pre-show) to the side loge.

I know, I know "wah, wah, wah"....

i wish more people with seniority would speak up. :thumbup:

...and i have never actually read anything the band has officially announced that they changed it to GA for "fairness". it's all speculation around here. university of michigan football has recently done something similar to students with seniority seating. sounds more like a money thing to me.
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    seniority is irrelevant. nobody cares, including the band, how long youve been in the club. you get your perk by getting phenomenal reserved seats.
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,005
    seniority is irrelevant. nobody cares, including the band, how long youve been in the club. you get your perk by getting phenomenal reserved seats.

You just "might be" right my friend!

;)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    kc007kc007 USA Posts: 282
    To be honest, I loved GA. My hubby & I love the outdoors, we love winter, so waiting in line in the cold was nothing to us. We drank hot cocoa, brought our sleeping bags that we later donated to the homeless, wore our down coats and had a great time talking with people from all over the world. Had it been raining, I probably would have passed and traded my tix for seats. I had GA for several shows this tour and each experience kept getting better and better! Plus I met some truly inspiring and awesome people that I hope to see on the next tour.

And yes, it is somewhat 'survival of the fittest', which is fine with me. I am fit. :D
  • Options
    Yefa wrote:
    I had GA for Worcester 2 and Seattle on this tour. I didn't try for the rail in Worcester. I was 10 people from the rail in front of Jeff & had a great time. My friend (who lives in the Seattle area) and I decided to line up early to get close for Seattle. I was a bit concerned about "the list" because of the stories I had read here about people getting great list numbers then enjoying the city and coming back an hour before doors to their old spot in line. I can say that didn't happen in Seattle. There were line checks at specific times (which were announced to all who were there) so all would know when the next one was. If you missed 1 line check you no longer had a number & had to get a new (worse) one if you so chose to get a number again. Here is when the line checks were held: 6am, 9am, 11:30am, 2pm, 4pm, 5pm. As you can see, it would be impossible to go enjoy the tourist sites of Seattle & make it back for the next line check. People were looking out for each other. Donuts and (lots of) coffee were bought for sharing with other fans. I met awesome fans from (among other places) Brazil, Italy, Australia, Canada, Rhode Island, Denver, Ohio, and NYC. I caught up with friends from Chicago I had met on the 1st leg. When it was time to go inside the Key we were walked in. I had the rail between an Italian man and a Brazilian woman. This was my 58th PJ show and my first time on the rail. It was a memorable experience not only for the show (which I loved) but also for the people I shared it with. If GA can be run this way for future USA/Canada shows, then I think it can not only continue but flourish.
    Well said, and I agree. I was there in Seattle as well, #48 and got rail. The people organizing the list did a fair job.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

what people do with their own time outside of the show has no impact in the pit.

^^this^^

Why anyone cares what anyone else does prior to the show is beyond me. Most of the time when I read all the complaints, it just sounds like people are just envious of the fans that actually have the free time to sit around all day goofing off in line and having fun waiting for the show to start. Some people like to be in a bar just prior to the show, some like to make friends in the line and make it a fun experience. Who really cares? If you want a chance at the rail, plan on being at least in the top 60 or 70 people. Beyond that it is too much to keep an eye on and yeah, you are probably better off coming back at show time and just being 3 or 4 rows deep.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641
    edited December 2013
    If someone is uncomfortable in GA they can just move back, and next time go for reserved seats. A person who willingly stays in an uncomfortable position when they are free to get out of it and then complain after seems like a crazy person.
    In Vancouver i didn't have to really wait in line, was three from the rail, and it was so comfortable with enough space that the guy next to me was actually able to twirl me. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata