Options

Dear Pearl Jam, let's re-think this whole GA thing..

QuestionAuthorityQuestionAuthority Idaho Posts: 327
edited December 2013 in The Porch
Now that the tour is over and I have read many things about GA and experienced it myself ~ let's call it the experiment of 2013 and go back to rows of seats.

My own experience and have read the same situations over and over.. you get there early, you line up.. there is BS about a "list" ~ people get pissed that you have to have some number on your hand.. so you go along with it because hell you want to get in at number 113 and not 183! You are told we will all line up in one single line and enter this way and then when they call for the doors to be open and there is actually going to be three lines and all hell breaks loose and your number on your hand did not mean crap.. the only people whose numbers seemed to matter were like the first 30 or so.

So you get in the doors and it is a mad scramble to the floor and then you stand for an hour and half ~ waiting for the opening act.. you are already packed in like sardines in a little tin can.. and you know it will only get worst. Standing for 1.5 hours with no entertainment you can start to feel your back or feet saying "yeah ~ right this is going to happen for three more hours.."

Finally the music begans and you realize hey Mudhoney is ok.. and then some asshole decides to push his way into the crowd.. elblowing your neighbor in the face.. hitting the person you came with in the back of the head.. and then it begins.. you are dealing with assholes for the rest of the night trying to push their way up.. they are usually heavily intoxicated and usually some of the biggest jerks you have ever encountered. It makes one wonder what we both see in this band that we both apparently like because these guys are prime jackasses.. they consistantly try getting up closer.. one yells "this is not a reserved concert, this is GA motherfuckers ~ DEAL with it"! This goes on until he decides he needs another beer.. but we all now he will be back during Even Flow!

So, you are doing your best to try enjoy this band you love.. but it is getting hotter and hotter and the oxygen level is less and less and you find you are having kind of a hard time breathing in the packed sardine can because you are packed in so tight to the stage.. You are skin to skin on all for sides of you.. personal space goes out the window.. is this really fun? is this really what adults do?

PLEASE PEARL JAM GIVE US BACK OUR ROWED SEATS! It worked well for years and years.. you could spend the morning in line and meet other fans while you waited for your tickets, you could then go experience some of the town you were in or at least get some dinner.. there was none of this other crap that I experienced at this last show.

I know I am one person, with one opinion but I know I have read other peoples posts that have been similar to mine.. let our voices be heard!

NO TO GA!!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but together we make a mighty fist ~ Sitting Bull
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Go for reserved seats next time. Let those who enjoy the GA section enjoy it :)
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I was in GA for Portland & Spokane. Picked up my tickets & popped around the cities until about 30 minutes before Mudhoney went on. Casually walked down & was 10-15 "rows" back. I was stoked. No need to wait in line overnight unless you really want to be up front.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    GA was amazing. The lone wait was worth it. The no personal space, who cares. When the greatest band in the world is playing 10 feet in front of you does what your feet or back saying matter ? Not in my opinion. It was absolutely 100% worth every second of the 16 hours I sat in the frigid cold.
  • Options
    They got rid of GA shows for the safety of their fans and I am sorry ~ but the one show I was at showed me GA is not safe. We were packed in so tight that one thing or another could have happened ~ more than four assholes trying to rush the stage and we would have all gone down. I have heard from other people this happening at their shows as well.

As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but together we make a mighty fist ~ Sitting Bull
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    everyone is going to be "for" whatever benefits them personally

locked.
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I couldnt disagree more. if you dont want to stand in he GA, get a reserve seat. Yes, the "list" in the GA line sucks. What the hell do u expect when standing at a rock concert?
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    yep,they need to rethink it..need to be the whole floor GA only and donate the chairs to the homeless
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,921
    edited December 2013
    The douche-baggery you and others described is the reason I went straight to reserved seating. My recommendation for shows and seating would to keep the current GA and reserved options. However, like 2000, offer 1 pair of tickets per tour from 10c. Everybody's positions would be better, it would favor a home town advantage. After the 1 10c show, people can go to TM. That would constitute the lottery. I.e., trying your luck with TM. So your 1 10c show would be a guarantee. As for line management of GA, it has to be 1st come 1st served and better staffed/managed. That's easy.
    Post edited by Veddernarian on
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    I couldnt disagree more. if you dont want to stand in he GA, get a reserve seat. Yes, the "list" in the GA line sucks. What the hell do u expect when standing at a rock concert?

I have been to many GA shows of other artists and sorry, this was in no way like any other GA show I have been to.. other shows you acutally could move your arms, perhaps even extend them! You stood with a space around you.. not packed in and not with the guy behind you pressed into you from behind, the right side and left side. It is not safe.

Plus to watch a neighbor who you do not even know have to constantly be looking behind her shoulder because she was afraid the jerks were going to try to surge again is not fun.. and it is not "benefiting personally". This girl was not enjoying herself because she nearly did go down once or twice.

• Options
    Dear Pearl Jam fans, let's re-think this whole GA thing...

Let's act just like adults, friends, and people who can hang around with other people.

Unfortunately there seems to small minority of people who demand personal real estate in GA, and another small minority of people who think Pearl Jam are a boy band, and another group who are just assholes....Off to reserved seating I go.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    Go for reserved seats next time. Let those who enjoy the GA section enjoy it :)
  • Options
    go prego pre Posts: 650
    My GA experience was so much better than I thought it would be. I've been in the 10c for 10 years and with GA on this tour, it was my first chance at getting front row, and you bet I took advantage of that opportunity. I waited in line all day, dealt with assholes for two hours before the show and during the show ... and enjoyed every fucking minute of it. it all added to the experience that I'll never forget. I actually was going to let my membership lapse (i was in my grace period when they brought up the countdown clock and i renewed), but decided to give it one more shot, only because of the GA lottery. so as long as i have a chance to be that close to the stage, i'll remain in this club.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Options
    ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,201
    edited December 2013
    GA is great. I joined in 2010 and with GA everyone from me to the dude who joined in '98 have the chance to stand by each other and rock out. Everyone has the chance to get a great spot in GA

As far as I am concerned - down with seniority down in front and more with equality. GA works great, I had no issues at LA1 and I got about 5-6 rows from the stage. The people who hate GA are either people who hate that seniority doesn't benefit them as much or they aren't "GA people" to begin with

My GA experience at LA1 was fantastic - great crowd and great place in the venue.
    Post edited by ForceofNature101 on
  • Options
    On top of what's already been said.

GA is a great way of thinning out the lottery for reserved seats.
  • Options
    yep,they need to rethink it..need to be the whole floor GA only and donate the chairs to the homeless

This. Its a fucking rock and roll show. Despite the line, list bs, whoever is up front in ga deserves it more than those who get there in the seated format.
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    mookieb10 wrote:

This. Its a fucking rock and roll show. Despite the line, list bs, whoever is up front in ga deserves it more than those who get there in the seated format.

i'm so confused
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options

I have been to many GA shows of other artists and sorry, this was in no way like any other GA show I have been to.. other shows you acutally could move your arms, perhaps even extend them! You stood with a space around you.. not packed in and not with the guy behind you pressed into you from behind, the right side and left side. It is not safe.

Plus to watch a neighbor who you do not even know have to constantly be looking behind her shoulder because she was afraid the jerks were going to try to surge again is not fun.. and it is not "benefiting personally". This girl was not enjoying herself because she nearly did go down once or twice.

Really how close have you been at other said GA shows? Because what you described has been my GA expirenice for nearly 20 different shows. If you see people like the women you are describing having a hard time here's an idea Let them get infront of you or watch out for fellow fans!! It's not all about being 2 ft closer to the band, fans having fun moving around/ jumping in place is expected. Look out for each other out there while showing the band some love and all will be fine..
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    all GA shows I attended this tour were perfectly safe. there's always going to be the odd asshole around, but that has nothing to do with GA. I had plenty of space to dance at all shows, very relaxed experience.
    how about you let the people that like GA keep it and just enter for reserved next time?
  • Options
    JS188455JS188455 Posts: 107
    Loved every minute of my GA experience in Charlotte. Met a lot of great people and everyone had a great time. I think GA brings a whole new energy to the shows and it gives people who may never really have a shot at being that close the opportunity to do so. The only thing I didn't like about the whole experience was the list and that was before I entered the arena. With all of the complaints about the list I would imagine 10C will do something to fix it should we be lucky to keep the current system as it is and get some shows next year
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    Meh, as long as they keep the ticket lottery they should keep GA.
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    edited December 2013
    I personally hate the GA system.

It (for the most part) rewards survival of the fittest / tallest.

And it's another stab , push back of folks who have seniority.

And I almost wince at admitting I have seniority. We seem to be the new "smokers " everybody hates us, band bends backwards to make sure we have limited ticket benefits lately.

We've already got the lottery for rows 1-2 ; 9&10.

Now we have another "Lottery" just to get "any" ticket.

That's fine, I get the bands desire for "fairness" but I think a permanent GA relegates anyone under 6 feet (and not wanting to "camp out" the entire pre-show) to the side loge.

I know, I know "wah, wah, wah"....

Just stating my opinion.

I saw people getting pulled out (for medical emergency) in GA every PJ SHOW I attended.

For a band that really really cares about it's fans safety (there is no band more focused)
    I just shake my head at the latest US GA MODE.

I do have a compromise / suggestion though.

If PJ wants to keep GA but make it safer. I suggest they adopt the Springsteen / U2 type catwalk , segregated pits.

That eliminates any PUSH towards the front and really let's the band members and the GA fans (at any depth) a chance at face to face interaction. Right now it's a accident waiting to happen ..
    Just my opinion!

Post edited by locked on
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    Now that the tour is over and I have read many things about GA and experienced it myself ~ let's call it the experiment of 2013 and go back to rows of seats.

No. Bad idea. Really bad idea.

Okay?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Is safety really a concern or just a bs reason that those against GA can toss in?

A few people rushing forward isn't anything that's gonna cause any issue other than annoyance. It's when you get 10s of thousands doing it that's an issue and even with the douche baggery reported, it seems like a tiny percentage of a few thousand taking part in any push.

I'm fairly familiar with the history of rock and I can't think of an instance where an arena pit caused any widespread injuries and there are alot of crowds(and the music to go with it) rowdier than your typical PJ crowd. You see problems with huge outdoor crowds and huge lapses in security. I'm confident that PJ took steps to make sure that all their bases were covered before they decided to make the switch to GA.

If people are getting pulled out of a PJ pit b/c of medical emergency, I gotta believe it's more about them not being prepared(skipping eating and drinking to keep their prime spot), than an effect of GA.
  • Options
    Gold 26Gold 26 Posts: 676
    I was away from these boards for a few years due to lack of funds, and missed the start of all this and haven't reLly looked into it so have no idea what 'GA' or 'the list' is or means. Sounds like that's a good thing. I guess I'll see it if they implement it here in Britain next time.
    All my favourite singers have stolen all of my best lines.
  • Options
    jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    The list cartel needs to be broken. It is very clear there were traveling bands of PJ fans who dominated the front of the pit night after night. How about people who have jobs and kids who would like to up front but can't because they have adult responsibilities? They should have a shot at being up front without having to be on a sidewalk all day.

Springsteen system puts the list cartel out of business and gives all fans a shot at rail, not just the lunatics who spend their whole day on the sidewalk.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    jrnyc wrote:
    The list cartel needs to be broken. It is very clear there were traveling bands of PJ fans who dominated the front of the pit night after night. How about people who have jobs and kids who would like to up front but can't because they have adult responsibilities? They should have a shot at being up front without having to be on a sidewalk all day.

Springsteen system puts the list cartel out of business and gives all fans a shot at rail, not just the lunatics who spend their whole day on the sidewalk.

The list is bs, but I can't really argue with people that are actually willing to spend the time to get at the head of the line.

Doesn't seem like this discussion is really about the douchers that "organize" the list and number wrists, and is more about GA in general, but yeah, the listers need to go.
  • Options
    any links to the Springsteen 'list system'?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,640
    edited December 2013
    Dear Pearl Jam,

Let's not.

Best times of my life are in GA at a Pearl Jam show. Seats in front of the stage are so fuckin' boring by comparison. I find the lost irrelevant - what people do with their own time outside of the show has no impact in the pit. And the few whoncollapse in GA are simply dumbasses who let themselves get dehydrated and they basically swoon or fai. because of their own poor planning. It's not that big a deal. GA ROCKS! :D
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    DewieCox wrote:
    jrnyc wrote:

The list is bs, but I can't really argue with people that are actually willing to spend the time to get at the head of the line.

Doesn't seem like this discussion is really about the douchers that "organize" the list and number wrists, and is more about GA in general, but yeah, the listers need to go.

yeah, I agree with you about people legitimately spending time in line to get in front deserve it and it being a good system, I think it is debatable and a good argument could be made for either side. There are many die-hard fans who can't wait in the line all day, would be nice if those people had a shot at the front too though.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,640
    edited December 2013
    jrnyc wrote:

You really do have a shot of being up front. If you don't wait in line all day you just stand directly behind the people leaning on the rail. There really isn't a difference, except that you actually have more room to rock out because there isn't an unyielding wall restricting your movements. But yeah, the Bruce system would be great just to get the same jerks who are on the rail all the time off the rail because everyone is bored of them.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata