Options

Dear Pearl Jam, let's re-think this whole GA thing..

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,983
    My reserved seats for Portland, Spokane & Vancouver were all on Mike's side. Amazing view. For Seattle, surprisingly I was on Stones side. A section over across of my last Mike seats. Not bad. Being that my number is only 161xxx I would of thought because of GA, my seats would be farther back, but they were pretty sweet! I can't complain.

But in all honesty, the stories I've heard & the folks that abused the system (what I mean about abuse is getting your name on the list, and marker on hand to later leave and walk around town, visit the pre parties for hours) is not right. Let them have GA. I'm ok with it. But there needs to be a better system running GA. IMO, Ten Club must step in & get it organized. "First come, first serve!" Those abusing the system should of been kicked off the list.

Spokane was pretty weird. I was waiting in merch line outside early afternoon overhearing there was an other door that you will take you directly to the main floor. Folks sneaked in that way, and they didn't even need a number placed on their hands & they were front row. Just imagine if many other show's went this route?

I'll tell you one thing. I was 10th in line @ the Pearl Jam Pop Shop at the Show Box Saturday morning. A group who just parked their car right next door came up to us up front and asked if there was a list where they can put their name down & get their hands marked. True story. I couldn't stop laughing! :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Only thing I would change is make the entire floor GA.

I don't do well with crowds so I always go for reserved seats at arena shows. With my middle of the road number I was getting decent seats on the sides (1/3 or 1/2 way back from the stage) for most shows until this tour. I was thrilled with those seats. This tour I ended up on the floor behind GA for 2 of the 3 shows I was fortunate to get 10club tickets for. I don't really consider these the best seats in the house, I'd rather be in the 200 level if it means I can see the stage without having to watching the screens.

More power to those that enjoyed the GA experience this tour! :D
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    SarahMcNadiaSarahMcNadia Ontario / Québec Posts: 195
    As someone who got to experience my first concert from the pit I couldn't imagine a better experience. We weren't on the rail but we got close and the people around us were great. There were plenty of people who had to step out for whatever reason and they were let back into the place they came from without any fuss that I saw. GA levels the playing field a little and allows everyone who loves PJ a chance to get close. I can't wait for the next tour and I hope they have GA again and if not I will sit where I sit because I met great people no matter where I was from the pit to the rafters.

This was my experience as well! My first show, second row in the pit in Buffalo with great crowd-mates looking out for one another, and not packed like sardines at all. Certainly, having joined 10c less than 2 years ago, I benefited from this new GA setup because I'd have never (as in never EVER) gotten so close based on seniority alone.

Honestly, I feel like the band should do whatever they want to do (which I'm pretty sure is what they're doing anyway!). Whatever keeps them making music and touring for as long as possible is EXACTLY what I want them to do and THAT benefits us ALL, doesn't it?
    An empty cup in the middle of the sea..
    Buffalo 12-Oct-2013 * Cincinnati 01-Oct-2014 * St. Louis 03-Oct-2014
  • Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    MG79478 wrote:
    I would speculate that if we asked the BAND, they wanted GA back for the energy. Thats it.

For what purpose? To offset the fact that they no longer stand the entire show themselves.

The band obviously feeds off the energy of the crowd. To pretend like they don't to support your point is just silly.

So they feed off the standing crowd during a sit down slow song? :fp:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    MG79478 wrote:
    I would speculate that if we asked the BAND, they wanted GA back for the energy. Thats it.

For what purpose? To offset the fact that they no longer stand the entire show themselves.

But the shows got longer, so they are standing just as much

I don't think the shows are any longer, and even if they were, they are still not standing as long as the crowd. If standing = energy, than the entire floor would be standing, and the band would never sit.
  • Options
    The shows this tour have been 30 mins longer than most of the others I've seen.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,292

I like only part of the floor being GA. The smaller the GA section the more civil it is. At least in my experience.
  • Options
    Zod wrote:

I like only part of the floor being GA. The smaller the GA section the more civil it is. At least in my experience.

The seated section of the floor allows for those that want to be on the floor, yet have a bit of space for themselves as well.

In my mind, this argument is stupid. The new format accommodates everyone except the few that think they are going to win the lottery and 'sit' in the front row with their legs tightly crossed as they have a cappuccino.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    The seated section of the floor allows for those that want to be on the floor, yet have a bit of space for themselves as well.

In my mind, this argument is stupid. The new format accommodates everyone except the few that think they are going to win the lottery and 'sit' in the front row with their legs tightly crossed as they have a cappuccino.

The problem is that no one actually wants to be on the floor behind the GA pit, unless they are lucky enough to get the front row. Most would rather sit on the side of the stage. Some people have a middle of the road number and have patiently waited for their seats to slowly improve over the years, and have never had great seats... now they get pushed into much worse seats to accommodate the GA pit.

In my mind, the argument for GA is stupid. The old format accommodates everyone except the few that think they should be able to bypass seniority and stand in the front and drink $12 racing beers until they puke.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    EUROPE - GA THE WHOLE FLOOR..PARTY TIME!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    TigaSefiTigaSefi Posts: 278
    EUROPE - GA THE WHOLE FLOOR..PARTY TIME!!!

:lol::lol: Word man!
    London 02 18/09/2009 London Hyde Park 25/06/2010 Arras 03/07/2010 Werchter 04/07/2010 Manchester 21/06/2012 Amsterdam 26/06/2012 Stockholm 07/07/2012 Portland 29/11/2013 Spokane 30/11/2013 Amsterdam 16/06/14 Leeds 08/07/14 London 02 Arena 18/06/2018 London 02 Arena 17/07/2018 London Hyde Park 08/07/2022 London Hyde Park 09/07/2022
  • Options
    MG79478 wrote:

The problem is that no one actually wants to be on the floor behind the GA pit, unless they are lucky enough to get the front row. Most would rather sit on the side of the stage. Some people have a middle of the road number and have patiently waited for their seats to slowly improve over the years, and have never had great seats... now they get pushed into much worse seats to accommodate the GA pit.

In my mind, the argument for GA is stupid. The old format accommodates everyone except the few that think they should be able to bypass seniority and stand in the front and drink $12 racing beers until they puke.

Sooooo... you are saying that nobody is happy being on the floor 20+ rows back from the stage? Gee... some people are hard to satisfy.

I've never been closer than row 22 on the floor until this year in GA. 22 rows back on the floor was great, but GA was a lot greater.

These people you speak of that have gradually had their seats get better are never going to get front row unless they are extremely lucky.

The GA pit system makes perfect sense and I cannot believe people bitch about it. More people closer to the stage. Still great seats on the floor and reserved. To the people that are arguing against it... fate will likely have it that at your next show... you will be behind Shaquille O'Neal in your reserved seats on the floor. With no GA to simply move to another sight line... enjoy your show. Then come to this thread and join the majority who oppose this thread!

Every format accommodates everyone. This argument comes down to preferences and mine obviously differ from yours. I'm sure glad Pearl Jam sides with my preference!
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    We're still talking about this? This discussion doesn't apply to anywhere else but US, they have been doing entire floor GA everywhere else. I guess that begs the question why is US different? I'm not really sure why, but I will say my GA experience in US this year was amazing and they should keep it! I would not have had a chance to get up close if it was assigned seating based on seniority, plus the energy in GA is so much better.

I don't drink at shows, and was only at one show where I was surrounded by a group of sloppy drunks so I'm not sure where all the comments linking GA to drunk people are coming from.
  • Options
    While there are certainly some aspects of GA that are cool, I personally would prefer they go back to seats. I've been in 10c since 1995 and have only had two chances that whole time to get actual fan-club seats in the first few rows.

Sorry, I value my time way too much; I shouldn't have to waste an entire day (or even worse, camp the night before) in a line to be in the first few rows. I was able to enjoy my two days in L.A., instead of sitting next to a chain-link fence with a bunch of freaks who want to pontificate over the best live version of "Pilate" or the time Eddie gave them a pick because he could tell they knew all the words to "God's Dice."

I lined up for shows (or tickets) enough when I was younger...with my seniority in this club, I shouldn't have to do that anymore. Or be packed in like sardines, and not be able to get a drink or have a smoke or take a piss for several hours.

Here's an idea (perhaps somewhat impractical, but it would satisfy both camps - or piss both off a little, which means it's actually a reasonable and fair compromise): Split the floor down the MIDDLE and have one half be GA and one half seats. Why should 10c members with high seniority who don't want people laying on them for three hours be relegated to the sides? And, to be fair, by the same token, you can still reward the freaks who have nothing better to do for 12 hours than hang out in line so they can give Eddie a high five and maybe get a slug off his wine bottle?

Now THAT I would love to see them do!
  • Options
    jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    WMAmorican wrote:
    While there are certainly some aspects of GA that are cool, I personally would prefer they go back to seats. I've been in 10c since 1995 and have only had two chances that whole time to get actual fan-club seats in the first few rows.

Sorry, I value my time way too much; I shouldn't have to waste an entire day (or even worse, camp the night before) in a line to be in the first few rows. I was able to enjoy my two days in L.A., instead of sitting next to a chain-link fence with a bunch of freaks who want to pontificate over the best live version of "Pilate" or the time Eddie gave them a pick because he could tell they knew all the words to "God's Dice."

I lined up for shows (or tickets) enough when I was younger...with my seniority in this club, I shouldn't have to do that anymore. Or be packed in like sardines, and not be able to get a drink or have a smoke or take a piss for several hours.

Here's an idea (perhaps somewhat impractical, but it would satisfy both camps - or piss both off a little, which means it's actually a reasonable and fair compromise): Split the floor down the MIDDLE and have one half be GA and one half seats. Why should 10c members with high seniority who don't want people laying on them for three hours be relegated to the sides? And, to be fair, by the same token, you can still reward the freaks who have nothing better to do for 12 hours than hang out in line so they can give Eddie a high five and maybe get a slug off his wine bottle?

Great post!
  • Options
    WMAmorican wrote:

I was in GA, but never lined up at all. I stood kind of in the middle and enjoyed the show immensely with space around me and no stress that is associated with lining up at ridiculous times for ridiculous lengths of time- but each to their own.

As to your suggestion... hmmm...

Split the floor.

On one side the freaks who have nothing better to do for 12 hours than hang out in line so they can give Eddie a high five and maybe get a slug off his wine bottle.

On the other side the fuddy duddys... sitting on their seats, pressed slacks, legs tightly crossed, faces stern with disappointment given they are subjected to, yet another, Even Flow.

Sorry... don't see it.
  • Options
    WMAmorican wrote:

Split the floor.

On one side the freaks who have nothing better to do for 12 hours than hang out in line so they can give Eddie a high five and maybe get a slug off his wine bottle.

On the other side the fuddy duddys... sitting on their seats, pressed slacks, legs tightly crossed, faces stern with disappointment given they are subjected to, yet another, Even Flow.

Well when you put in that way... :lol::lol:
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    This thread is still goin? They did rethink GA. That's why they are doing it now.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    DewieCox wrote:
    This thread is still goin? They did rethink GA. That's why they are doing it now.
    lol
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,941
    DewieCox wrote:

:lol:

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    DewieCox wrote:

:lol::lol:
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    WMAmorican wrote:

you should have stopped at the first paragraph and not went into the childish finger pointing. of course now the new members who love GA will then go on with their entitlement digs. it'll never end...
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,640
    WMAmorican wrote:

Why would you waste your entire day? Why is it such a difficult concept for some one you to grasp that you don't have to wait in line for GA unless you have OCD?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I like the idea of GA, just have it BEHIND the seats. Make the first 15 rows seats, RANDOM 10c distribution for first 2 rows, high seniority for rows 3-15, then a free for all GA pit for the rest of the floor. EVERYONE gets a chance at the "rail" with absolutely no waiting or camping out. Long time senior members don't get penalized. Those who enjoy the "group" experience of being shoulder to shoulder with no personal space still get that as well. I like having a seat. I never actually SIT, but I like that it defines my AREA. I also would like to grab a beer and take a piss from time to time knowing that when I come back my area is still there waiting for me. 10c members from #1 to #900,000 would ALL have an EQUAL opportunity to get up close and personal in the first couple of rows. The next FEW (and we're only talking 10 or 12 more rows) would go to the senior members who've been LOYALLY PAYING DUES for 20 YEARS. There's got to be SOME sort of reward for being so faithful for such a long time. This isn't just some club, it's a PAYING MEMBERSHIP, and those that have paid the MOST for the LONGEST amount of time should be rewarded for doing so. Don't worry, when we DIE, you all get to move up a slot. ;)
    1994 Boston
    1998 Mansfield
    2000 Atlanta & Mansfield
    2003 Mansfield (X2)
    2004 Boston
    2006 Chicago & Boston (x2)
    2008 Mansfield (x2)
    2009 Chicago
    2010 Buffalo & Boston
    2011 Toronto
    2012 Amsterdam
    2013 Wrigley, Worcerster (x2), Philly, & Hartford
    2014 Memphis, Moline, Denver
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Hampton, Philly, Fenway (x2), Wrigley Monday
    2018 Wrigley (x2), Fenway (x2)
    2022 MSG. Nashville
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    WMAmorican wrote:

Why would you waste your entire day? Why is it such a difficult concept for some one you to grasp that you don't have to wait in line for GA unless you have OCD?

The idea of a split floor is interesting, but it might be too hard to do. I agree though...this way (or even an "in the round" show) would please both groups.

However, PJ_Soul is also right. In a lot of cases, if you walked in 30ish minutes before showtime, you could easily get to somewhere around the sixth row...no need to line up at crazy hours if you didn't want a souvenir or the "McCready Death Stare."
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    Isoworld13 wrote:
    I like the idea of GA, just have it BEHIND the seats. Make the first 15 rows seats, RANDOM 10c distribution for first 2 rows, high seniority for rows 3-15, then a free for all GA pit for the rest of the floor. EVERYONE gets a chance at the "rail" with absolutely no waiting or camping out. Long time senior members don't get penalized. Those who enjoy the "group" experience of being shoulder to shoulder with no personal space still get that as well. I like having a seat. I never actually SIT, but I like that it defines my AREA. I also would like to grab a beer and take a piss from time to time knowing that when I come back my area is still there waiting for me. 10c members from #1 to #900,000 would ALL have an EQUAL opportunity to get up close and personal in the first couple of rows. The next FEW (and we're only talking 10 or 12 more rows) would go to the senior members who've been LOYALLY PAYING DUES for 20 YEARS. There's got to be SOME sort of reward for being so faithful for such a long time. This isn't just some club, it's a PAYING MEMBERSHIP, and those that have paid the MOST for the LONGEST amount of time should be rewarded for doing so. Don't worry, when we DIE, you all get to move up a slot. ;)
    Totally defeats the purpose for the band to have GA behind seats. They want the action up front. That's the POINT.

For god's sake people. What happened to you??? Did age seriously get the best of you? I can't believe there is a debate about having a GA pit in front of the stage at a fucking rock concert. :fp:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    However, PJ_Soul is also right. In a lot of cases, if you walked in 30ish minutes before showtime, you could easily get to somewhere around the sixth row...no need to line up at crazy hours if you didn't want a souvenir or the "McCready Death Stare."
    :evil: Those aren't the only 2 reasons for wanting to be up close but I agree, if you just want to be within the first 10 rows, you really don't have to wait in line all day, just walk in when the doors open.
  • Options
    Go for reserved seats next time. Let those who enjoy the GA section enjoy it.

For me, I hate being in the seated area. I want to dance and move around. I feel like i'm annoying people in the seated area.
    2003: Toronto
    2004: Boston 1
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (1&2)
    2007: LOLLAPALOOZA
    2008: Mansfield (1& 2), EV Toronto
    2009:Toronto
    2010: Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011: EV Detroit, East Troy (1&2), Toronto (1&2) Hamilton
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Detroit
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:
    :evil: Those aren't the only 2 reasons for wanting to be up close but I agree, if you just want to be within the first 10 rows, you really don't have to wait in line all day, just walk in when the doors open.
    Right, and honestly, being a few rows back is preferable IMO. I was third row, and even then I found that my neck got really stiff and sore from looking up at the stage for that long. Being right on the rail must make that part even worse. I'd say that for ideal viewing with ideal GA comfort, being maybe 5 or 6 deep is the best place to be (so a difference of about what from the rail? 7 feet??). And I'm pretty sure most people who just arrived when doors opened are at least that close.
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    edited December 2013
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Totally defeats the purpose for the band to have GA behind seats. They want the action up front. That's the POINT.

it is insulting for ten club to let everyone think that they changed it up because people with seniority weren't rocking out hard enough.

i think they changed it to GA because they want to fit more people in a smaller area and to get more people to join the ten club.

but you already know i feel this way, so... :geek: < me
    Post edited by shortstack on
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    I had GA for two shows on this tour...Worcester 2 and Seattle.

At Worcester 2 I went to the preparty and lined up at 5:45 or so. I ended up 10 people back in front of Jeff.

At Seattle I lined up all day and got the rail. It was my first time being rail/1st row for Pearl Jam.

I had a great time for both shows. I met awesome people at the preparty in Worcester and in the GA line in Seattle.

GA worked great for this tour and I hope they continue it for the next USA/Canada tour.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com