Options

*** Seattle Fanviews Here 12/6/13 ***

Comments

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    So, did they mention Nelson Mandela at all? I know it's a rock concert, and whereas Lou Reed is a rock icon, Mandela wasn't about music... but if I'd been there in person Mandela would have been heavy on my mind even with all the rockin' out. Did they mention him at all?
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,938
    yeah aside from Let Me Sleep in the set list just looked average. Although I'm sure it was awesome to be there and all. I guess I was expecting something like how they ended the 2010 tour at MSG. :?

Also a little jealous, seems like half the peopel i knew were there :lol:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    JH6056 wrote:
    So, did they mention Nelson Mandela at all? I know it's a rock concert, and whereas Lou Reed is a rock icon, Mandela wasn't about music... but if I'd been there in person Mandela would have been heavy on my mind even with all the rockin' out. Did they mention him at all?
    They did toward the end. Ed was saying something about different people being in the room together and what that can accomplish etc etc. and mentioned him.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    JH6056 wrote:

Very well said indeed, if not I am very disappointed, if they see themselves as global citizens in the rock and roll realm it probably should have been the theme of the night.....long road, man of the other, light years, ritfw..........
  • Options
    duska3419 wrote:
    JH6056 wrote:
    They did toward the end. Ed was saying something about different people being in the room together and what that can accomplish etc etc. and mentioned him.

Good, glad they did. It would have seemed like a huge omission to not even acknowledge him.
  • Options
    treck17 wrote:
    JH6056 wrote:

Very well said indeed, if not I am very disappointed, if they see themselves as global citizens in the rock and roll realm it probably should have been the theme of the night.....long road, man of the other, light years, ritfw..........

Yes, I'm not complaining, this is just a personal opinion that it was important to me and I'm pretty surprised it wasn't an underlying theme of the show. Those were the songs I was imagining - at least ONE of them! But then again, I know they walk a careful balance between rocking and conscience with their shows, and they don't like to be predictable...
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    nobody left the pit early!
    Not true. From my vantage point, I could see that there was quite a bit of open space at the back of the pit during the second encore.

But I'm sure those folks had their reasons for leaving (babysitter issues?). Hell, we had to leave the pit early in Pittsburgh because my wife was a bit under the weather and wanted to sit down. So we moved to the 3rd row behind the pit.

But I get what you're saying. There were plenty of people in my section that were clearly not that into the band.
  • Options
    Come on people - the only reason you think the show was "average" is because you put such high expectations on it.
  • Options
    shellerizm wrote:
    Come on people - the only reason you think the show was "average" is because you put such high expectations on it.

That's the most interesting thing about this tour to me. I've been at some of the legendary shows in big cities (NYC, Philly, Boston), but even though I'm sure the people at the big city shows on this tour had a magical time, and the band definitely brought it at every show, it was the little towns or the "not sexy" towns that had the true magic this tour. I actually think that is super cool!

So yes, the expectations for Seattle were through the roof, probably all around (band and audience), and I'm sure it was a great show, but sometimes the expectations can kinda bring it down before it really takes flight.
  • Options
    Last night was number 20 for me. It was by far the best of them all. I would put yesterday in the top ten days of my life. I was sitting in the nosebleeds and my buddy got me to the floor. Whoa! They played some hits and some rare stuff, Pilate! Right now I can't sleep bc of how amazing last night was. One of my coworkers said 20 shows that is a waste of money, hahaha boy did the boys prove that idea wrong. Thank you thank you thank you
    EV Bridgeschool - October 24, 2004
    San Francisco - July 15/16/18, 2006 Bridgeschool - October 21/22, 2006
    Lollapalooza - August 5,2007
    EV Berkley - April 7/8, 2008 The Who Rock Honors - July 12, 2008
    Outside Lands - August 28, 2009 Seattle - September 21/22, 2009 San Diego - October 9, 2009
  • Options
    jtr101 wrote:

What else was cut besides SBM, hold on and of the Earth? One more scratched out in the second encore.
    all along the watchtower

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ba3lIleCQAA3j9Z.jpg[/quote]

Damn, sorta like Wrigley...what could have been. Still a great set!
  • Options
    pjfansincetenpjfansinceten Santa Monica, CA Posts: 107
    So glad I was able to see them in Seattle after all these years. Some people travel to the wailing wall, or to The Vatican, for me, this was that trip. Thanks to Richie for setting me up with a ticket! Til 2014!
    91 - 11/22 Detroit (opening for RHCP)
    98 - 7/14 Los Angeles Forum (missed Tenacious D)
    00 - 8/24 Jones Beach, 10/24 Los Angeles Greek (can't find a Better Van!), 25 San Diego & 28 San Bernadino (Glen Helen)
    03 - 6/2 & 3 Irvine, 5 San Diego, 6 Las Vegas MGM (10th Annivesary), 7 Phoenix
    05 - 9/2 Vancouver
    06 - 7/9 & 10 Los Angeles, 12 Hollywood (Fonda Theatre, it's a Worldwide Suicide), 15 & 16 San Francisco
    08 - 7/12 The Who Tribute at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion! (Love, Reign o'er me! with orchestra)
    09 - 8/23 & 24 Chicago United Center, 9/26 Portland, 9/30, 10/1, 6 & 7 Universal City Amphiteatre, 9 San Diego (2nd row)
    10 - 5/20 & 21 MSG, 10/23 Bridge School
    12 - 6/20 & 21 Manchester, UK
    13 - 11/19 Phoenix, 21 San Diego, 23 & 24 Los Angeles, 12/6 Seattle (finally)!
    14 - 10/16 Detroit, 20 Milwaukee (YIELDED), 22 Denver
    16 - 8/20 Wrigley #1
    18 - 8/18 Wrigley #1 (40th show!), 8/20 Wrigley #2
  • Options
    Pretty average, could not hear Mike's guitar at all which really sucked.
  • Options
    Not sure about all the negativity and dissapointment for this show. I flew from Boston, seen them 53 times, and was blown away.

Yeah, they played "the hits", but that made sense since most of these songs were written here! Also, some of the repeats, like "Sirens" were done brilliantly and a little different than usual (loved the little outro to Sirens).

Lastly, "Garden", "Pilate", "In my Tree", "LET ME SLEEP!", "Chloe/Crown", "Getaway": rarely played gems! And yes, I know Chloe/Crown has been played a lot this tour, but, again, how could they not do this in Seattle.

I've seen them 8 times this tour, including Worcester, Brooklyn, Hartford, London, and Wrigley, and this was the best show for me. 3 hours and 20 minutes, infectious energy, great crowd, and FUN!!!!

Just an opinion from someone who made the trek out from the east.
  • Options
    ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614
    What a show! I wasn't sure what to expect after seeing last weekend's amazing Portland show. I didn't know it could get any better than that, and I'm still not sure, but it was damn close. The boys were really happy to be home and you could feel their energy. I wish I could say the same for the crowd, though. The GA crowd had more energy than the Portland crowd, who hardly danced or sang along. Seattle was all about the sing-alongs and so many signs for the band! It was awesome to hear some songs that we didn't hear in Portland like "Supersonic", "Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns", and "Breath", and "Got Some". Of course the crowd went nuts when Mark Arm, Steve Turner, and Kim Thayil joined them to "Kick Out The Jams". Talk about a show! Tonight was a great finale to an awesome tour. Now the boys can take a well-deserved break for the holidays before heading down under for the Big Day Out. If you weren't in Seattle last night, you missed a real treat!
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • Options
    Killer show. Seattle totally brought the energy and noise.
    Mike seemed to be teaching an aerobics class most of the night.
    Mike was out of his mind on Porch among others.
    Ed was falling down drunk by the end which was pretty funny.
    in the words of Mark Arm "Seattle, it's time to Kick Out The Jams motherfuckers!!!!"
    Great story from Ed about the girl and her dad that saved him and two friends in rough waters in Hawaii, then he brought her on stage. Great speech about legalizing pot and gay marriage and how nothing bad has happened as a result. Stone was guzzling Ed's wine at the end. First time getting Nothingman at my 19th show which seems like a long time to wait for that one. Thanks to Mark Arm for making Mike play Eruption.

let Me Sleep is how I'm feeling right now from my seat on the plane home to Phoenix.
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • Options
    For the people saying "decent", "could have been better", and the like, you got Garden, in my tree, Breath, Solat, Crown, Let me sleep, etc.n and a show which went well more than 3 hours. Why don't you guys look back at some 2000 or 2003 or 2009 setlists. The big wow in 2000 was Alive on the last night and Crown on the 1st night. I think they played Breath once in 2000. You are like drug addicts. Last night didn't give you your fix? What happens when the band hits their 50s and it is physically impossible to meet your needs? Are you going to eat them?
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    Great story from Ed about the girl and her dad that saved him and two friends in rough waters in Hawaii, then he brought her on stage.
    YES! That alone was worth the price of admission. Definitely the highlight of the show for me.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,836
    A f**king awesome tour as a whole...

lots of sing along song tonight which was fun...all fans around me were awesome!!!!!!!!!

nothing too great for the 'collectors' but I'm a lucky one who caught a few shows this tour and got a lot of the songs I wanted elsewhere...

Highlights for me:

watching the band share lots of love to all and celebrate the end of the tour.

Let Me Sleep...f*ing beautiful guitar work. super sweet to watch Mike play this!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Interstellar Overdrive
    Pilate
    Garden
    In My Tree
    Getaway
  • Options
    Agreed - hope I don't reach a jaded point where a Pearl Jam show is *average* to me. 3 plus hours, Kim Thayil!, drunk Eddie, "Fuck Macklemore!"

TENCLUB question - what was up with the M-R line at will-call? Every other window (I think there were 5 others) empty with staff waiting. 40 people in the M-R line. M-R has to queue up in the below freezing cold to wait for one person to divvy out M-R tickets. Is this a common occurrence or random luck of the draw. Are there just a ton off Pearl Jam fans with the last name ending in M-R? I'm not complaining - only that some of the other staff could've helped out the HUGE M-R line instead of twiddling their thumbs.

Other related question: twice after will-call we were told if we were in the TENCLUB to wait in a certain spot that turned out to be wrong later. First at 6pm East Entrance... "If you have TENCLUB reserved seat tickets, wait here to the right of the big pillar" - 10 minutes later - "No wait, everybody get to the left of the Big Pillar what are you doing standing here". Once inside there's another guy saying TENCLUB reserved seat wait here while folks flew around us on all sides. We were not going to get fooled again.

Maybe it's just the highly confused Key Arena "Staff Pros" :D
  • Options
    It was a great show and the Seattle crowd did pretty good. I've come to realize after seeing the massive guest list line to pick up tickets that Seattle shows will never match the crowd intensity of other venues. Too many friends and family and folks that are not into it the way true pj fans are.

That being said, the energy was better than most Seattle shows and the band was definitely having a blast.
    Thanks
    Greg
    www.theuncool.com
    The Official website for everything Cameron Crowe
  • Options
    hannahchildehannahchilde Santa Monica, CA Posts: 2
    I agree! AMAZIN NIGHT INDEED!!!
    H-Childe
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Ghandi
    380xxx
  • Options
    Sounds like most of the criticism of the show is coming from people who weren't there. I also wasn't there but thought it looked like a really fun setlist with lots of greatest hits sing alongs and some great rarities. Quick question, why do you think Seattle has the loudest football fans in the country but has a reputation for not having the best crowds at PJ shows?
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    Wrigley. Brooklyn 2. Hartford. 2013
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Global Citizens Festival. 2015
    MSG 2. Fenway 2. Wrigley 1. 2016
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • Options
    AB33658AB33658 Seattle, WA Posts: 7
    17th show and I could not be floating higher this AM. GA in my hometown!!!
    Garden?? I nearly died.
    Seward Park wont ever be the same. And In My Tree. Breath, state, and the Christmas song..
    The best though was Chloe/Thorns. My beautiful doggy
    named Chloe passed away this year, and Ed sang her name
    and I felt like he looked right at me and I just wept. Like a tidal wave.
    I know that song is not about her, but to me it is.
    So thanks for playing it for me boys. Really thank you.

And that crazy ed swinging from the lights like a monkey. Was a little worried
    he was going to injure himself - and did you see how massive
    that wine bottle was? Hahah

Also sad to read people couldn't hear mike. Let me tell
    You I could hear him and he dominated. As usual!

Welcome home to the great northwest, let's get some sleep
    It's Christmas time.
    Milwaukee 1995 Kansas City 1998 St Louis 2000 San Antonio, Dallas, Little Rock 2003 Toledo, Gorge, Vancouver 2005 Seattle 2009 London 2010 Chigago (wrigley), Portland, Spokane, Seattle 2013
  • Options
    I thought the show was amazing!! Best experience ever!! So worth the trip from newfoundland!!

Ever time I see or hear these guys i love them more. They sound awesome, put off an amazing show and are just down right awesome people. They actually care about their fans and people in general. They use their position in society to help others. I just think they are damn fantastic. Best band ever!!!!!!
  • Options
    18th show. It was a good one. Right up there as one of the best I've seen (but I pretty much say that after every show).

I've never seen Ed with a bottle that big before.

I feel honored, lucky, grateful, and privileged to see each and every show I have been to. Doesnt matter the set list. Doesnt matter what the crowd is like. Doesnt matter what the poster is. Front row or back row its always amazing. I think about those who haven't had the opportunity to see live before or those who finally got to see them for the first time.........so I will never marginalize their experience with selfish entitled commentary of what will never be average to me.

Greatest band in the world. Greatest fans in the world. It was great to see my friends again.
  • Options
    5thi show, flew from the UK to see it, had an absolute ball. Got right up close and headbanged the night away. Spin the Black Cycle into Lukin. Was completely dizzy by the end of it. And complaints about 'the hits'? The hits are some of my favourite songs of all time. I will NEVER get tired of hearing Even Flow live. Bring on the hits I say.

Had an amazing week-long holiday here. First trip to the US and couldn't have been more perfect. Even went to Easy Street records on Thursday and got talking to Matt. We went down to his office and listened to The Stooges. So awesome.
    "Hey Eddie, great show-- fuck you!"
    PJ - London 25/6/10, Manchester 20/6/12 + 21/6/12, Isle of Wight 23/6/12, Seattle 6/12/13, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14, Boston 5/8/16 + 7/8/16
    Ed - London 31/7/12, Amsterdam 27/5/17 + 30/5/17, London 6/6/17 + 7/6/17
  • Options
    mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    Left Porch wrote:
    Sounds like most of the criticism of the show is coming from people who weren't there. I also wasn't there but thought it looked like a really fun setlist with lots of greatest hits sing alongs and some great rarities. Quick question, why do you think Seattle has the loudest football fans in the country but has a reputation for not having the best crowds at PJ shows?

It is due to the way the Seahawks Stadium is built.
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,581
    I wasn't there unfortunately, but i think the set list looks pretty fucking good! Maybe not as good as some others (including my show in Van, and it does admittedly make me feel good that the show i did see left me wanting nothing - it was amazing. i think i'm just glad the set list didn't severely increase my already deep regret about not being able to be at the seattle show), but Pilate, In My Tree, Breath, CD/CoT, DTE and GTF are just amazing live, RVM too, plus Garden and Getaway. Looks sweet!!... I'm sure the folks there had a blast and that is what matters. What it really comes down to is the overall vibe at the show. We know that. Take Missoula for instance. That is a pretty standard setlist aside from Ghost and Man of the Hour, yet people who were there consider it one of the best shows and the band made it an instant classic because the vibe was so amazing and the whole performance was so tight. A set list on paper can only tell us so much and we all know that.... However, hearing that people couldn't hear Mike all night is shocking. If that was an issue, then that would seem like a pretty major negative. :(

Yeah, Let Me Sleep is ultra rare, but i don't care about that - it's not the greatest song choice IMO (although appropriate for the band at end of tour in December for sure!).... Their scratches are definitely confusing. And I think they should ditch that Lou Reed song. I don't think it sounds very good - my least fave thing in Vancouver by a mile. If they were stuck on covering Lou this tour, which is cool, they should have gone with Perfect Day - Ed putting his own style into that would have probably been mind blowing. That song has a build up, a crescendo that will really get you, and just a powerful overall feeling to it, and it would have been a unique challenge for Eddie. So I think that was a lost opportunity this tour.

But anyway, after the kind of tour that we all just witnessed - fucking set lists that seemed unbeatable every night, and were then beaten the next night, Seattle had too much to live up to set list wise probably, at least when it comes to the complicated psyche of 10c members. :lol: But it still sounds like it was a great show... Just Pilate, In My Tree, Getaway, and Garden would have had me completely satisfied if I'd been there.

Hope everyone gets something cool at the pop-up shop! Damn i wish i could have made seattle! if someone can grab me a cheap benny hall, I'd really appreciate it. :D
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,581
    JTH wrote:
    Great story from Ed about the girl and her dad that saved him and two friends in rough waters in Hawaii, then he brought her on stage.
    YES! That alone was worth the price of admission. Definitely the highlight of the show for me.
    Be careful out there Eddie!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata