Options

LA1 fan "ejected"

Comments

• Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    iamica wrote:
    This is why I don't like GA...too many entitlement minded jerks shoving their way to the front, it's happened in every GA pit I've ever been in...I'm really glad Ed called her out, that kind of behavior is just ridiculous.

(Bring back all seated venues!)

I think it just depends. I've had great experiences with GA..PJ and otherwise. I've been to 5 GA PJ shows, and didn't really experience shoving by people trying to get up front. There will always be jerks, but usually there aren't too many for the shows I go to. I think GA is the way to go!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options

It's not the place for children, it's an event for adults!! Why can't people understand that there is a difference and that we need to think of the kid's well-being before ours, when considering bringing them into that environment!

Well... you have definitively asserted your opinion... so I'll assert mine: such a broad statement amounts to narrow perspective nonsense.

Firstly, define children. If you are speaking about 2 year olds with the massive headphones as ear protectors... I would agree. If you are talking about 10 year olds that sing PJ songs in the back of the van... I would disagree.

Secondly, define the parameters. If you are talking about adults placing toddlers on their shoulders and demanding a way to the rail... I would agree. If you are talking about kids safely behind the throes of the pit or in seats I would disagree.

Lastly, the kids that attend these concerts can do a hell of a lot worse for events. And music isn't reserved for adults. My kid has been playing electric guitar since he was 7. The first concert I took him to was the Goo Goo Dolls (lame and tame). As he got older (he's now 16)... I would periodically bring him to shows I thought he could handle: Green Day, Kiss and U2 come to mind. We just attended NIN, on the floor, away from the busy front, and had a great time with an old friend joining us.

Thanks for the parenting advice... now go have some kids yourself and watch your perspective change.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

It's not the place for children, it's an event for adults!! Why can't people understand that there is a difference and that we need to think of the kid's well-being before ours, when considering bringing them into that environment!

Well... you have definitively asserted your opinion... so I'll assert mine: such a broad statement amounts to narrow perspective nonsense.

Firstly, define children. If you are speaking about 2 year olds with the massive headphones as ear protectors... I would agree. If you are talking about 10 year olds that sing PJ songs in the back of the van... I would disagree.

Secondly, define the parameters. If you are talking about adults placing toddlers on their shoulders and demanding a way to the rail... I would agree. If you are talking about kids safely behind the throes of the pit or in seats I would disagree.

Lastly, the kids that attend these concerts can do a hell of a lot worse for events. And music isn't reserved for adults. My kid has been playing electric guitar since he was 7. The first concert I took him to was the Goo Goo Dolls (lame and tame). As he got older (he's now 16)... I would periodically bring him to shows I thought he could handle: Green Day, Kiss and U2 come to mind. We just attended NIN, on the floor, away from the busy front, and had a great time with an old friend joining us.

Thanks for the parenting advice... now go have some kids yourself and watch your perspective change.

:clap:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    my parents took me to see KISS when I was 16 :) I guess my parents weren't all bad. Of course, they did abandon me in the GA pit to go get beer...

dude, my parents were AWESOME!!! :lol:
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,995
    I'll be honest, I'm so sick of this bullshit "it's a rock concert" mentality. Why people are given an out for sub-human behaviours like pissing on each other, and being verbally or physically abusive (even if that's just a byproduct of your own selfish actions), is entirely beyond me. There are some adults I'd say shouldn't be allowed into the venue before I'd say that all kids (also a dramatically unfair blanket statement with vague lines drawn about what age/physical size/maturity that is) shouldn't. Rather than deciding who should be 'allowed' to come to a rock concert, why don't we let parents be parents, and as humans, why don't we take care of the people around us? This doesn't have to be a load of crap 'kumbayah' moment - just speak up if something's going wrong, because my gut tells me that at a Pearl Jam show, the great people outnumber the shmucks.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,737
    Isn't there another thread for conversation about whether or not kids should attend concerts and shit?? It's huge - all of this has been said before 10 times in that thread. What does any of this have to do with the LA 1 tongue lashing dealt by Eddie?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Isn't there another thread for conversation about whether or not kids should attend concerts and shit?? It's huge - all of this has been said before 10 times in that thread. What does any of this have to do with the LA 1 tongue lashing dealt by Eddie?

I here you, but it evolved because someone managed to tie kids being there as the cause for this lady's behavior to promote their agenda. The early story was that she was actually helping some 12 year old kid get to the front. This turned out to be bullshit and then it took on a life of its own.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Just the way the conversation has kind of shifted.
  • Options
    ckravitz wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I here you, but it evolved because someone managed to tie kids being there as the cause for this lady's behavior to promote their agenda. The early story was that she was actually helping some 12 year old kid get to the front. This turned out to be bullshit and then it took on a life of its own.
    I still can't believe that woman made up a 12 year old who lost his or her mother in her "apology". :fp: I think that person should be ejected from 10C. I guess we'll never know how it was handled. I can't believe she was dumb enough to reveal who she is to 10C. :lol:
    (for the record, I think young kids should be kept from concerts because it's inappropriate and they should be in bed, but for any kid who is, say, 9 years old and up, I see no problem with it as long as the parent doesn't expect anyone else to alter their behaviour because their child happens to be in the vicinity).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I'm only here because there's nothing good on tv :corn:
  • Options
    acharding wrote:
    I'm only here because there's nothing good on tv :corn:
    :lol::lol:
  • Options
    eddiec wrote:
    You think for a moment when Eddie called for her attention she thought "God damn, I'm going backstage and Eddie will give me a pearl necklace" ?

:lol: Dude, you are on fire!

Agreed. A damn funny post. Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy style!
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,879
    why is everyone cool with some shitty Dad bringing a young kid to a loud rock show in the GA pit on his SHOULDERS! How dumb and unsafe can you be at a concert? I don;t know why she was ejected, but the Dad was a fool and a selfish jerk for blocking the view of how many people behind him? What should all those people do, just suck it up cuz he wants his kid to see? The Pit is all for yourself, and if someone pushes to get by then get the f out of the pit. GA is not for staying in a place, those are called seats. People always jockey for position, to see better, to each their own, but don't throw a hissy when people do what they do in a pit. Seriously a little girl on your shoulders in a GA pit at a rock show......dumb. Shitty to the people behind a tree of people now, and just dumb...cannot say that enough. You wanna sit on the grss at a show in the back with your kids that is one thing, but this is just...dumb!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    why is everyone cool with some shitty Dad bringing a young kid to a loud rock show in the GA pit on his SHOULDERS! How dumb and unsafe can you be at a concert? I don;t know why she was ejected, but the Dad was a fool and a selfish jerk for blocking the view of how many people behind him? What should all those people do, just suck it up cuz he wants his kid to see? The Pit is all for yourself, and if someone pushes to get by then get the f out of the pit. GA is not for staying in a place, those are called seats. People always jockey for position, to see better, to each their own, but don't throw a hissy when people do what they do in a pit. Seriously a little girl on your shoulders in a GA pit at a rock show......dumb. Shitty to the people behind a tree of people now, and just dumb...cannot say that enough. You wanna sit on the grss at a show in the back with your kids that is one thing, but this is just...dumb!!!!!!!!

The Dad with the kid was nowhere near this incident. She wasn't on his shoulders. She was being held up to the railing
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    That was just a rumour.
    No one is okay with someone having anyone on their shoulders in the pit, and most people aren't cool with very young children being in the pit either.
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    Yeah if you watch the video... there is no kid on any shoulders. Be nice if people looked at facts before flying off the handle at something that didn't even happen. Chilax people...
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    This thread is still going ?
  • Options
    NAUjackfanNAUjackfan Phoenix Posts: 2,340
    This thread is a fun read...
    how-to-offend.png
    tumblr_mtr9t5SROk1r0d33so1_400.gif
    Click to visit the Arizona PJ Fans Page

PJ
    PHX 98|ABQ, PHX, Seattle 00|PHX 03|Arras 10|PJ20 1&2 11|Missoula 12|PHX, SD, LA 1&2 13|Denver 14|Telluride 16
    EV
    Vegas 1&2, PHX 12|Ohana 16
    TOTD
    LA 16
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    TeeChiTeeChi Posts: 36
    I talked my dad into taking me to a Pantera/Prong concert in '94 when I was 14 at Alpine Valley. We were 4th row center - no pit but that did not stop the concert goers that evening.

In his defense, he did not know who Pantera was and my parents are divorced so he might have been trying to do me a solid. These were the days before the "internets". At any rate, we didn't piss anybody off though. Everyone thought it was cool that I was there and they tried to give me smoke and drink, much to my dad's chagrin. I stood on the seat the entire show and he was like my bouncer. The look on his face when I fist-pumped every word to "f#&@ing hostile" was very shaming. He was pissed after the show. When I asked him years later why the hell didn't he just make me leave, he said that he was afraid for our safety and it seemed best if we stayed put. I don't think he was kidding. However, I was banned from concerts and from Pantera for that matter after my dad's parenting faux paus. But now we have this ridiculous story that he tells roughly 2-3 times per year.
  • Options
    TeeChi wrote:
    I talked my dad into taking me to a Pantera/Prong concert in '94 when I was 14 at Alpine Valley. We were 4th row center - no pit but that did not stop the concert goers that evening.

In his defense, he did not know who Pantera was and my parents are divorced so he might have been trying to do me a solid. These were the days before the "internets". At any rate, we didn't piss anybody off though. Everyone thought it was cool that I was there and they tried to give me smoke and drink, much to my dad's chagrin. I stood on the seat the entire show and he was like my bouncer. The look on his face when I fist-pumped every word to "f#&@ing hostile" was very shaming. He was pissed after the show. When I asked him years later why the hell didn't he just make me leave, he said that he was afraid for our safety and it seemed best if we stayed put. I don't think he was kidding. However, I was banned from concerts and from Pantera for that matter after my dad's parenting faux paus. But now we have this ridiculous story that he tells roughly 2-3 times per year.
    14 seems like a pretty normal age to be in the pit at a concert. 5 does not.
  • Options
    JWPearl wrote:

I have nowhere else to be :(
  • Options
    TeeChiTeeChi Posts: 36
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    TeeChi wrote:

Agreed. Just saying even at 14 we had our rough patches. Well, that and it was Pantera.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,995
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    TeeChi wrote:

You kidding? Five is plenty old to be at a show in the pit. In fact, five year olds should be encouraged to crowd-surf too, because they're easier to lift.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    JWPearl wrote:

Yeah, we figured we take a break from Pearl Jam with cats, "hot" pics of Ed, and the Sevens box set.
  • Options
    benjs wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    TeeChi wrote:

You kidding? Five is plenty old to be at a show in the pit. In fact, five year olds should be encouraged to crowd-surf too, because they're easier to lift.
    We could even toss them really high into the air... would look pretty cool from reserved seating. :lol:
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    benjs wrote:
    We could even toss them really high into the air... would look pretty cool from reserved seating. :lol:

they still bounce when you drop them at that age too...right?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    JH6056 wrote:

Dude it's a CONCERT. It's a bunch of people in one place to see people play music live. It is NOT a strip club (at least, not the shows I see, don't know about you...), and it's NOT an open air drug market. All I've seen anyone do at shows (not just PJ) is drink, smoke cigs, and smoke weed, and the weed was few and far between. It's thousands or tens of thousands of people dancing, singing, standing, sitting, sometimes falling over or freaking out, but never to the point of it being a problem for me or anyone I'm with. And if people are under the influence of more than alcohol or weed, I've never seen insance behavior. Again, I don't know what shows you go to and what you are caught up in, but there is nothing even R rated about most of the shows I go to, much less X (ADULT EVENT WITH ADULT THINGS HAPPENING??? WTF?)

What the hell happens at the shows you go to that make them so damn X rated?

It's really obvious from your inability to describe specific 100% adult behavior that you see every.single.show that are so grossly inappropriate for kids to witness, that you really don't have any support for your stance other than that that's just your opinion. You didn't say where you're seeing shows, you didn't say what % of the audience at every show you swear are engaging in these "adult only behaviors"... You can't justify it.

It's fine to just feel strongly that kids don't belong at rock concerts, you've been crystal clear about that opinion. Just understand that for many of us it's completely unconvincing because at any given show it's a small tiny % of he audience - if anyone - who is snorting coke at their seat, getting a handjob in their seat, beating the carp out of someone, or pissing in their seat. I've seen the pissing and fighting, but in 1000+ rock shows it's still only been a handful of times and at predictably rowdy shows.

So yeah, yelling "ITS AN ADULT EVENT!!! WHY DOESNT ANYONE UNDERSTAND!!" Doesn't help you at all in actually making your case for why.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    ckravitz wrote:
    JWPearl wrote:

Yeah, we figured we take a break from Pearl Jam with cats, "hot" pics of Ed, and the Sevens box set.

i'm okay with it as it has seem to keep all of the petition threads off the first page.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    RKCNDY wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    benjs wrote:

they still bounce when you drop them at that age too...right?
    You have to punt them, just SO.

(it's all about the ratio)

Too far?

:P