Options

NBA Thread now in 2015

Comments

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,547
    edited June 2016

igotid88 said:

All I can say is if Curry or Klay was attempting those 3 pt shots Starks was. Ewing would have a championship

Not a chance. He wasn't beating Chicago, ever. Hell, they couldn't even beat Houston when jordan retired for the first time. Over rated.
    I was talking about the 94 Finals where Starks kept missing his 3 pt shots. And who's to say if he didn't have his own Kobe that he couldn't get past Jordan and win a title?
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,389

igotid88 said:

igotid88 said:

igotid88 said:

I think Shaq is overrated. Call me a homer. But I'll put Ewing over him.

Patrick Ewing was the absolute best at one thing - traveling EVERY time he got the ball and NEVER getting called for it. Now everyone takes 3 steps and switches their pivot foot and don't get called for it. Ewing changed the rules of the game; albeit for worse. I guess you could say he was a pioneer of sorts.
    Jordan as well. He got away with a lot.
    Lol. Ewing shouldn't have even been on the dream team. He was so bad.
    What do you mean so bad? If Ewing got to play with Kobe and Wade during their primes. His numbers might be even better. Especially assists
    Ewing was good but nowhere near the same league as Shaq or Olajuwon. Or even David Robinson for that matter.
    Man Ewing carried that team forever. His second best player on his team was John Starks. Need I say more?
    Mark Jackson, Anthony Mason, Allan Houston, Larry Johnson.

He should've been suspended in the Houston series. To wait until Game 5 of the Finals to suspend him without warrant, and then hide behind the skirt of "pattern of behavior" is a money grab. Why wasn't James suspended for stepping over him? At the very least, why wasn't James given a technical?

Maybe I can see a technical for James stepping over him. But come on, if someone steps over you like a dick, get up and push him (or punch him) like a man. Don't fucking slap him in the dick. Draymond totally deserved his suspension. Shots to the privates, spitting, biting, or eye-gouging is a lowest form of "dirty play" in sports.
    I don't disagree with ya. My thing is he was doing this all throughout the playoffs. Why wait until the Cavs are down 3-1 with Game 5 at Oracle to suspend him?
    It was a culmination of his four flagrant fouls. You get one point for a flagrant 1 and two points for a flagrant 2. Four points mean a one-game suspension. So it wasn't a situation of the NBA saying "Let's get him NOW because the series is 3-1." Here's an explanation from NBA.com:

"Under league rules, any player who accumulates four flagrant foul points over the course of the playoffs will be automatically suspended for one game, and every additional flagrant foul will result in either a one-game suspension (for a Flagrant Foul 1) or a two-game suspension (for a Flagrant Foul 2).

"The cumulative points system is designed to deter flagrant fouls in our game" said Kiki VanDeWeghe, Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations. "While Draymond Green's actions in Game 4 do not merit a suspension as a standalone act, the number of flagrant points he has earned triggers a suspension for Game 5.""

The entire article: http://www.nba.com/2016/news/06/12/golden-state-warriors-draymond-green-nba-finals-game-5-suspension/

Lebron was actually assessed a technical after the game. Seems meaningless but it's actually the fourth time in the past two playoffs that that's happened. I guess because technical can add up to a suspension as well.
    And it's still a judgment call over what a flagrant foul is. Again, why wait until AFTER the game to assess the flagrant (a very poor judgment in my opinion) and suspend him?

Since we're speaking of track records and culminations, the NBA seems to annually be under fire for fixing games. It has already been proven before that league officials have made intentional calls to affect the outcome of games. If not for this, I wouldn't be so skeptical.

Look, I'm not saying Lebron & the Cavs wouldn't have done it anyway. And Golden State had plenty of opportunities to put game 7 away and they didn't. But the game 5 decision reeks of foul play.
    Anyone in the HOF? Nope...
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    igotid88 said:

igotid88 said:

All I can say is if Curry or Klay was attempting those 3 pt shots Starks was. Ewing would have a championship

Not a chance. He wasn't beating Chicago, ever. Hell, they couldn't even beat Houston when jordan retired for the first time. Over rated.
    I was talking about the 94 Finals where Starks kept missing his 3 pt shots. And who's to say if he didn't have his own Kobe that he couldn't get past Jordan and win a title?
    You're blaming starks for that? Olajuwon outperformed Ewing by outscoring him in every game of the series. Hakeem scored almost 30/game. Ewing was around 20. Ewing did set a Finals record for blocks. Starks also led the Knicks in scoring and assists in 2 of the 7 games. Obviously starks was no kobe, but the guy could play. I just just think Ewing was over rated overall in his career. Thise Knicks teams were very good. They were the only team during the Bulls first 3 run that had any chance of beathing them in the east.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786

igotid88 said:

igotid88 said:

You're blaming starks for that? Olajuwon outperformed Ewing by outscoring him in every game of the series. Hakeem scored almost 30/game. Ewing was around 20. Ewing did set a Finals record for blocks. Starks also led the Knicks in scoring and assists in 2 of the 7 games. Obviously starks was no kobe, but the guy could play. I just just think Ewing was over rated overall in his career. Thise Knicks teams were very good. They were the only team during the Bulls first 3 run that had any chance of beathing them in the east.
    To the Knicks' credit, they definitely maximized their talent and overachieved. The starters on the '93 team were Ewing, Starks, Mason, Oakley, and Charles Smith. For that team to finish with 60 wins is pretty impressive. Very underrated coaching job by Pat Riley. Maybe even more impressive than what he did with the Lakers and Heat just because he lacked talent.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,547

igotid88 said:

igotid88 said:

I don't know how anyone can say Ewing was overrated. Were there players better. Sure. But not overrated. And Starks I believe went 0-fer that game. If he had at least 1 title. I don't think overrated would have been used. He finally got a good coach in Riley then Van Gundy. But he never really had that 1a player. As they say his Robin. Or his Batman to his Robin.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    I hated Ewing as much as anybody but no way was he overrated. There's never been a more accurately rated player. He's consistently put on the list behind Shaq , Robinson and Olajuwon for his era. That's right where he belongs. Take Jordan from the Bulls and he definitely has a ring or two. Also, I know he was primarily a post player, but he had to be a big influence on guys like KG and Duncan moving a bit more out of the lane.

Same probably goes for Robinson, who I think is overlooked often. The post RobinsonSpurs are great and get deserved kudos, but some of those 90s teams with him as the centerpiece/leader were as good as it gets. I remember them giving the Bulls all kinds of trouble in their matchups.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,470

igotid88 said:

igotid88 said:

To the Knicks' credit, they definitely maximized their talent and overachieved. The starters on the '93 team were Ewing, Starks, Mason, Oakley, and Charles Smith. For that team to finish with 60 wins is pretty impressive. Very underrated coaching job by Pat Riley. Maybe even more impressive than what he did with the Lakers and Heat just because he lacked talent.
    Mason came off the Bench. Greg Anthony and Doc Rivers started a lot in their back court.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786

igotid88 said:

igotid88 said:

Mason came off the Bench. Greg Anthony and Doc Rivers started a lot in their back court.
    Oh yeah that's right. He didn't start. Still though, a quick glance at Basketball-Reference shows that Mason was second to Ewing in minutes played during that '93 season. So it felt like he was a starter.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Pacers trade 20th pick to the Nets for Thaddeus Young. Probably a good move to reduce Larry Bird's urge to draft another Plumlee ...
  • Options
    Are the Pistons going to move out of their garbage dump arena (really, it's built around a landfill) when the Red Wings stadium opens up?
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,548
    Add LeBron James to the list of players not playing in the Olympics.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2016/06/lebron_james_will_not_play_for.html
  • Options
    cutz said:

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2016/06/lebron_james_will_not_play_for.html

The dude should take the first half of the next season off considering how many games he has played.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

cutz said:

The dude should take the first half of the next season off considering how many games he has played.
    LOL>But you're right.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,767
    Congrats to Papagiannis for the draft..the highest pick in Greek history..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    23scidoo said:

Epic draft pick
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,133

23scidoo said:

Epic draft pick
    Does he have a nickname?

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p said:

23scidoo said:

Epic draft pick
    Does he have a nickname?

Peace

Do you?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    23scidoo said:

My friend, who scouts high school basketball, saw him when he was at a school(Westown, PA. i think) and said he'll be a high draft pick for the NBA. I don't remember if he thought he would be good or bad, in the NBA. I do remember him saying he had some skill and that he was TALL(and that's why he would get drafted by a NBA team).
  • Options
    When we look back to this 2016 draft , in a few years, how will it be remembered? Right now it seems weak.

Next year's draft is suppose to be really good. I know ther are a lot of Freshmen to be this year, that will be in next year's draft.
  • Options
    g under p said:

23scidoo said:

Epic draft pick
    Does he have a nickname?

Peace

Not yet..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    cutz said:

23scidoo said:

My friend, who scouts high school basketball, saw him when he was at a school(Westown, PA. i think) and said he'll be a high draft pick for the NBA. I don't remember if he thought he would be good or bad, in the NBA. I do remember him saying he had some skill and that he was TALL(and that's why he would get drafted by a NBA team).
    I read yesterday that it was better for him the next year draft, cause there are no centers..
    he was playing for my team (Panathinaikos)..now we are looking for center..lol..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,811
    23scidoo said:

cutz said:

23scidoo said:

I read yesterday that it was better for him the next year draft, cause there are no centers..
    he was playing for my team (Panathinaikos)..now we are looking for center..lol..
    Center is a little bit of lost position these days with the Golden State fad... but after the lack of rim protection post-Bogut, maybe the game will shift back a bit. But I agree... weak draft overall.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,133

g under p said:

23scidoo said:

Epic draft pick
    Does he have a nickname?

Peace

Do you?
    I have many......here's one.....RUSHNUT

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    23scidoo said:

cutz said:

23scidoo said:

He may not play in the NBA next year for the Kings as they already have 4 Centers. Kings may want him to stay in Greece and develop his game. Unless, they trade him?
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,389
    Weak draft. When the Greek guy that no one has heard of takes center stage you know it's bad.

The 2000 draft comes to mind. Prove me wrong. Please...
  • Options
    cutz said:

23scidoo said:

cutz said:

23scidoo said:

He may not play in the NBA next year for the Kings as they already have 4 Centers. Kings may want him to stay in Greece and develop his game. Unless, they trade him?
    Let's hope he stays in my team for one more year..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,783
    Some of these contracts being given out are absurd. Mike Conley gets 5 years, $153M?!? Mozgov got 65M for 4 years and Evan Turner got 72M for 4 years. Mediocrity pays big in the NBA!
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659

Some of these contracts being given out are absurd. Mike Conley gets 5 years, $153M?!? Mozgov got 65M for 4 years and Evan Turner got 72M for 4 years. Mediocrity pays big in the NBA!

That it does. That said, I will always say I'd rather have the money go to the players over the owners
  • Options

Some of them there are not All-stars or champions..the next summer would be worst..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,664

That it does. That said, I will always say I'd rather have the money go to the players over the owners
    how about.....both those groups get less and the average joe can actually afford to sit downstairs? crazy thought, I know.

I would imagine, tho, that you could find some cheap sixer tickets on stubhub. yes?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16