Options

NBA Thread now in 2015

Comments

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,127
    Has anyone noticed this about Lebron James at age 31 has accomplished more than MJ at the same age. They both had 3 titles however LJ has been to more titles. MJ though to this point never lost a title. I'll try to get more stats as to what they've accomplished at age 31.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,304
    g under p said:

Has anyone noticed this about Lebron James at age 31 has accomplished more than MJ at the same age. They both had 3 titles however LJ has been to more titles. MJ though to this point never lost a title. I'll try to get more stats as to what they've accomplished at age 31.

Peace

You must have listened to ESPN radio this morning.

• Options

g under p said:

Peace

You must have listened to ESPN radio this morning.

Nope, I'm laid up in bed recovering from a mild case of gout with nothing else to do but surf the net. Something I thought of being up all night and fell asleep through the second half of the game last night.

This is the best stats I could find however these stats are only from January 2016......

http://cavaliersnation.com/2016/01/01/a-comparison-of-lebron-james-kobe-bryant-and-michael-jordan-at-the-age-of-31/

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,774
    Not getting into any Michael comparisons but Lebron has surpassed Magic Johnson on my own list of the all-time greatest players. Here's my top-10:

1) Michael Jordan
    2) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    3) Bill Russell
    4) Tim Duncan
    5) Lebron James
    6) Magic Johnson
    7) Wilt Chamberlain
    8) Larry Bird
    9) Shaquille O' Neal
    10) Oscar Robertson

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    g under p said:

Peace

Well, the east was the dominant conference in the 90s. It's a joke now.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options

Not getting into any Michael comparisons but Lebron has surpassed Magic Johnson on my own list of the all-time greatest players. Here's my top-10:

1) Michael Jordan
    2) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    3) Bill Russell
    4) Tim Duncan
    5) Lebron James
    6) Magic Johnson
    7) Wilt Chamberlain
    8) Larry Bird
    9) Shaquille O' Neal
    10) Oscar Robertson

Duncan ahead LJ? Interesting. Love me some time duncan, but Lebron is up there around 2 or 3 imo.
  • Options

1) Michael Jordan
    2) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    3) Bill Russell
    4) Tim Duncan
    5) Lebron James
    6) Magic Johnson
    7) Wilt Chamberlain
    8) Larry Bird
    9) Shaquille O' Neal
    10) Oscar Robertson

Even though I'm a die hard Celtic fan I pretty much agree with your list exactly. Well done.

My comparison is frivolous and unimportant at best, besides I've got not much to do.

Peace

• Options

g under p said:

Peace

Well, the east was the dominant conference in the 90s. It's a joke now.
    That is a legitimate nit-pick. The Eastern Conference has been pathetic for like 15 years now. It's crazy to think that Lebron has been to six straight finals. But it seems like Lebron and (insert 11 other players here) could make the finals every year in the east.

I think drastic realignment is needed. Maybe abolish conferences all together in the NBA. Reschedule things so that instead of playing your conference opponents four times and non-conference teams two times, you play everyone three times. And then, just rank the teams 1-16 into a bracket. Because seriously, every single Eastern Conference champion over the past 15 years would be lucky to even make it to the Western Conference finals in their finals appearance season. Those New Jersey Nets teams that went to back-to-back finals would have been bounced in the first or second round in the west.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

1) Michael Jordan
    2) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    3) Bill Russell
    4) Tim Duncan
    5) Lebron James
    6) Magic Johnson
    7) Wilt Chamberlain
    8) Larry Bird
    9) Shaquille O' Neal
    10) Oscar Robertson

Duncan ahead LJ? Interesting. Love me some time duncan, but Lebron is up there around 2 or 3 imo.
    Well when Lebron's career is over, he'd have probably jumped Duncan. But Duncan's consistency, in the West, over such a long period of time, is staggering. Put that Duncan-led Spurs team in the East and Duncan has 12 or so consecutive finals appearances.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,120

g under p said:

This Cavs win just about guarantees the Cubs will win the World Series this year. Amazing!

Peace

or the Indians will beat the Cubs in the World Series in Francona's revenge..
    Why would that be revenge? Cuz Theo?
    yep, because Theo got to stay after 2011. similar to how Steve Phillips remained with the Mets after Bobby Valentine was fired in 2002.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,422

1) Michael Jordan
    2) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    3) Bill Russell
    4) Tim Duncan
    5) Lebron James
    6) Magic Johnson
    7) Wilt Chamberlain
    8) Larry Bird
    9) Shaquille O' Neal
    10) Oscar Robertson

Damn good list there. And no Kobe!
  • Options

1) Michael Jordan
    2) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    3) Bill Russell
    4) Tim Duncan
    5) Lebron James
    6) Magic Johnson
    7) Wilt Chamberlain
    8) Larry Bird
    9) Shaquille O' Neal
    10) Oscar Robertson

Damn good list there. And no Kobe!
    He'd be 11. In fact....I might as well take this opportunity to extend my list to 15 (slow day at work lol)

1) Michael Jordan
    2) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    3) Bill Russell
    4) Tim Duncan
    5) Lebron James
    6) Magic Johnson
    7) Wilt Chamberlain
    8) Larry Bird
    9) Shaquille O' Neal
    10) Oscar Robertson
    11) Kobe Bryant
    12) Hakeem Olajuwon
    13) Jerry West
    14) Julius Erving
    15) Moses Malone

And while we're at it (again, slow day at work), my five favorite players of all-time:

1) Scottie Pippen
    2) Michael Jordan
    3) Tim Duncan
    4) Dirk Nowitzki
    5) Allen Iverson

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    If steph curry keeps up this pace for the next 5 or 6 years and wins another title or 2, he could easily be in that top 10 list.

If you talk about pure shooters, I think he's already a top 3 guy.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,537
    If LeBron was on one of those Western Conference teams. He'd have 10 Finals appearances now
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I heard a fan fell in the Oracle arena
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    I really don't think Curry can keep it up for that long. Unquestionable skills, but he's a small but lanky dude. He can put up the numbers, but not sure he'll be able to take the beating required for long playoff runs year after year.

Duncan has the accomplishments to be up there and id put him as one of the best big men ever, but I don't think he was ever the dominant force that Hakeem, Robinson or Shaq were. The Admiral gets the decidedly short stick in these conversations. Not sure why, but he was the total package. It's probably more fair to Duncan to compare him to guys like Malone or Garnett, but it's hard to gauge with such a no hoopla player.
  • Options

And while we're at it (again, slow day at work), my five favorite players of all-time:

1) Scottie Pippen
    2) Michael Jordan
    3) Tim Duncan
    4) Dirk Nowitzki
    5) Allen Iverson

A top 5 favorite I can do!

1) Reggie Miller
    2) Penny Hardaway
    3) David Robinson
    4) Larry Bird
    5) Shawn Kemp
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Tis apocalypse is upon us!
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

I really don't think Curry can keep it up for that long. Unquestionable skills, but he's a small but lanky dude. He can put up the numbers, but not sure he'll be able to take the beating required for long playoff runs year after year.

Duncan has the accomplishments to be up there and id put him as one of the best big men ever, but I don't think he was ever the dominant force that Hakeem, Robinson or Shaq were. The Admiral gets the decidedly short stick in these conversations. Not sure why, but he was the total package. It's probably more fair to Duncan to compare him to guys like Malone or Garnett, but it's hard to gauge with such a no hoopla player.

Curry when he first came in the league was known to have weak ankles. That will haunt him down the road.
  • Options
    seanwonseanwon Posts: 302
    I really don't see how people can have Lebron so far down on their lists of all time greats. He just led the entire Finals (both teams) in points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks. No other player has ever done this in any playoff series of any length in history. And he did it against the team that had the best record in NBA history, and would have gone down as a top 2 or 3 team of all time had they won this series. He has played in 13 Finals games the last 2 years and has damn near averaged a triple double. Just the 2nd player in history (Kareem) to win a Finals MVP with multiple teams. Just the 4th player in history (Jordan, Kareem, Russell) to have at least 3 regular season MVPs as well as 3 Finals MVPs. I've seen nearly every minute of every Finals game in the last 25 years. I've never seen such an all around dominant performance like I saw from Lebron the last two Finals. Not sure what else this guy has to do.
    1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
  • Options
    seanwon said:

I really don't see how people can have Lebron so far down on their lists of all time greats. He just led the entire Finals (both teams) in points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks. No other player has ever done this in any playoff series of any length in history. And he did it against the team that had the best record in NBA history, and would have gone down as a top 2 or 3 team of all time had they won this series. He has played in 13 Finals games the last 2 years and has damn near averaged a triple double. Just the 2nd player in history (Kareem) to win a Finals MVP with multiple teams. Just the 4th player in history (Jordan, Kareem, Russell) to have at least 3 regular season MVPs as well as 3 Finals MVPs. I've seen nearly every minute of every Finals game in the last 25 years. I've never seen such an all around dominant performance like I saw from Lebron the last two Finals. Not sure what else this guy has to do.

Lebron will be brought up in the conversation more in the future. He does things effortlessly so he doesn't get a fare shake.

He is definitely in my top 10 right now.

I will say that I've never seen a player with all his skills play at that high a caliber day in day out. He is something special.
  • Options
    seanwonseanwon Posts: 302

seanwon said:

Lebron will be brought up in the conversation more in the future. He does things effortlessly so he doesn't get a fare shake.

I will say that I've never seen a player with all his skills play at that high a caliber day in day out. He is something special.
    He really is, and I'm a Bulls fan, so I love Jordan! Another Lebron stat that is amazing: When all is said and done, assuming he doesn't have some sort of serious injury, he is going to be the only player in league history to finish in the top 10 all-time in scoring AND assists. That is remarkable.
    1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,770

As a Cubs fan, I don't need to hear sympathy for Cleveland "needing" a Championship. Congrats nonetheless, as I completely understand what it is to be a fan of a team that never wins. (And it must really sting knowing the Ravens have won 2 Super Bowls).
    I don't like Lebron and I wanted GSW to win, but I've always enjoyed the city of Cleveland every time I've visited.

Does Kevin Love wear #0 because zero in tennis is "love?"

Hawks, Bears and Bulls. There's a difference.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    seanwon said:

seanwon said:

He really is, and I'm a Bulls fan, so I love Jordan! Another Lebron stat that is amazing: When all is said and done, assuming he doesn't have some sort of serious injury, he is going to be the only player in league history to finish in the top 10 all-time in scoring AND assists. That is remarkable.
    .....And doing so as a player 6-8 260lbs. Even though I fell asleep on the second half he played defense on Green and he wasn't so hot from what I've read. His defensive skills and hustle are underrated. He took a Cavs team to the Finals then after he left the Cavs became one the worst team in the east. Goes to Miami they become a championship caliber team the returns to the Cavs and they become a championship team INSTANTLY. On that list above I'm comfortable where he is BECAUSE it's a guarantee that he rise up that list and do so easily.

Peace

Post edited by g under p on

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,277

As a Cubs fan, I don't need to hear sympathy for Cleveland "needing" a Championship. Congrats nonetheless, as I completely understand what it is to be a fan of a team that never wins. (And it must really sting knowing the Ravens have won 2 Super Bowls).
    I don't like Lebron and I wanted GSW to win, but I've always enjoyed the city of Cleveland every time I've visited.

it's not really comparable to the Cubs though because even though the Cubs have one forever Chicago has won a ton of Championships Hell even the White Sox won one. Cleveland hadn't won any in any sport since 1960 or whatever.
    igotid88 said:

GS played the entire game like they knew they were going to win. Absolutely no will or drive. They expected to make every 3 pointer and played zero defense. Really a pathetic game from the ex champs.

Congrats Cleveland. And lebron is in the same ball park with jordan. He's not Michael yet, but he's definitely in the same conversation.

Jordan has never taken a bad team to the Finals though.
    you might want to review the roster of Jordan's 1st 3 title teams. other than Pippen they were fairly pedestrian.
  • Options
    g under p said:

seanwon said:

seanwon said:

.....And doing so as a player 6-8 260lbs. Even though I fell asleep on the second half he played defense on Green and he wasn't so hot from what I've read. His defensive skills and hustle are underrated. He took a Cavs team to the Finals then after he left the Cavs became one the worst team in the east. Goes to Miami they become a championship caliber team the returns to the Cavs and they become a championship team INSTANTLY. On that list above I'm comfortable where he is BECAUSE it's a guarantee that he rise up that list and do so easily.

Peace

I agree with all of this which is why he'll move up on my list in time. Also to add that the Heat didn't make the playoffs when he left.

Something else that people miss is that he technically brought 3 different teams to the finals, not 2. This cavs team is not what it was when he left so, for me it's 3 teams to the finals.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

it's not really comparable to the Cubs though because even though the Cubs have one forever Chicago has won a ton of Championships Hell even the White Sox won one. Cleveland hadn't won any in any sport since 1960 or whatever.
    igotid88 said:

GS played the entire game like they knew they were going to win. Absolutely no will or drive. They expected to make every 3 pointer and played zero defense. Really a pathetic game from the ex champs.

Congrats Cleveland. And lebron is in the same ball park with jordan. He's not Michael yet, but he's definitely in the same conversation.

you might want to review the roster of Jordan's 1st 3 title teams. other than Pippen they were fairly pedestrian.
    He had Phil Jackson
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited June 2016

g under p said:

seanwon said:

seanwon said:

Peace

I agree with all of this which is why he'll move up on my list in time. Also to add that the Heat didn't make the playoffs when he left.

Something else that people miss is that he technically brought 3 different teams to the finals, not 2. This cavs team is not what it was when he left so, for me it's 3 teams to the finals.
    I forgot that the Heat failed to make the playoffs last year 2015 some would say it was due to Bosch being out with blood clots. It amazes me down here in Florida fans are pissed with LJ because he left to go back home to the Cavs. I keep saying they were lucky he came here to Heat for four straight championships and two titles in the first place. I wonder if they know how many teams would give an arm and a leg to win just ONE championship.

Peace

Post edited by g under p on

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

Hawks, Bears and Bulls. There's a difference.
    Not to me. 108 years trumps anything anyone else is going through. I'm not a Bears or Bulls fan. I am a Hawks fan, which, until 2010, also had the longest drought without a championship in their respective sport.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

igotid88 said:

Grant, Cartwright, Paxson and Armstrong weren't slouches. Great roll players for that team that got better by their third year together.