Options

Lightning Bolt first reviews

Comments

• Options
    RVM1978RVM1978 Leesburg, FL Posts: 320
    Just completed my first listen.

The thing I love about Pearl Jam's albums are that they all seem to fit a certain mood. Lightning Bolt is a welcome addition to that.
    Ten was when I first started listening to them and it's a record that will always hold a special place for me in my life. It's a record that is filled with passion, romanticism, reflection, and fearlessness.
    Vs. is an album that is filled with righteous anger, intensity, and spirit.
    Vitalogy is the statement. The artist's statement for the world they see around them. It's the account of what an artist is sacrificing. It's saying, if not screaming; "I will be heard!"
    No Code is the introspection. What have I learned so far? Where am I going? How will I get there?
    Yield (aptly titled) is how to surrender with grace. Recognizing there are forces out there beyond your control. How you interpret those things around you to find peace.
    Binaural is an album that needs to be absorbed. Almost through the skin, as well as the ears. Noticing that there are much bigger things at hand.
    Riot Act is the conversation between two points of view. One who will do as they please. The other who won't let that person hurt themselves in the process. It's about the connection between friends, and how empathy and understanding can lead to a beautiful relationship.
    Pearl Jam (Avocado) is motivation. Pure and simple. It's like a jug of gasoline to light your soul on fire. Sustenance at its inner core.
    Backspacer is the breath of air. It's the feeling of seeing your friend's face after a long time apart. When the waves finally start to break for the surf.
    And finally Lightning Bolt, now this is only after one listen so bear with me. It's the plan. It's about how you move ahead, to the side, or back. Setting the goal, and finding a realization. All while keeping it as simple as possible.

With every release they continue to impress and I still wait to hear what's next. So far, my favorite songs from Lightning Bolt are Getaway, My Father's Son, Sirens, Lightning Bolt, Pendulum, Let the Records Play, and Future Days.

This is what their work means to me. It doesn't mean I'm right or wrong. My opinions are my own. I Am Mine.
    08/12/2000 - Tampa, FL; 04/09/2003 - Birmingham, AL; 04/11/2003 - West Palm Beach, FL
    04/13/2003 - Tampa, FL; 10/08/2004 - Kissimmee, FL; 05/16 & 17/2006 - Chicago, IL;
    05/19/2006 - Grand Rapids, MI; 05/22/2006 - Auburn Hills, MI; 08/05/2007 - Chicago, IL;
    05/03/2010 - Kansas City, MO; 07/19/2013 - Chicago, IL; 04/13/16 - Jacksonville, FL;
  • Options
    TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 534
    First rambling thoughts because i just have to get it out:

Seems like some new ground is broken, and some newer developments in their sound have coalesced. Pj's folkie/roots sound comes through really well here. Stone's riff at the beginning of Let the Records Play sounds like a dirty banjo thing for fuck's sake. Sleeping By Myself is actually an amazing arrangement and shows real Beatles-ish pop moves as well as a really developed kind of folk-rock sound. Sirens, of course has that big and solid pop sound and the great Gilmore- inspired guitar from Mike that shows up elsewhere. Let the Records Play is the bluesiest thing they've ever written as far as I know. Brings to mind Eddie singing with the Doors way back when. Keyboards are used really well all over the album and have more purpose than in the past. Some real dark stuff is very welcome here. Pendulum sounds almost like Nick Cave thing, which is a heaviness and moodiness that PJ have always done really well, but they don't always go there, which is a shame. Infallible, Father's Son.. all great stuff. Getaway is a classic PJ album opener, reminding me of my first listens to Brain of J, Breakerfall, etc. Lightning Bolt is almost Springsteen-level epic rock. PJ's late-period Born to Run? Infallible is a pretty wild sum of different things this band can do. It's almost dub-like bass parts sound really ominous but the melodies get unexpectedly sunny and it features some impressively exuberant vocals. What's with all the fade-outs, though? Matt Cameron KILLING it throughout and straight-up schooling fools on shit like Mind Your Manners. Yellow Moon is nuts with more Floyd sounding guitar.

The whole album just feels good to me. I'm proud of the guys. They really are in a league of their own. They just seem so comfortable going anywhere they want in music. Is there anything they can't do? Sometimes I wonder what the reaction would be if they did a whole record with a new sound and didn't sprinkle it with typical PJ stuff.

Jesus I could go on... :oops:
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,642
    ^^^^ Nice review! :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    RenaeRenae Perth, WA Posts: 38
    RVM1978 wrote:
    Just completed my first listen.

The thing I love about Pearl Jam's albums are that they all seem to fit a certain mood. Lightning Bolt is a welcome addition to that.
    Ten was when I first started listening to them and it's a record that will always hold a special place for me in my life. It's a record that is filled with passion, romanticism, reflection, and fearlessness.
    Vs. is an album that is filled with righteous anger, intensity, and spirit.
    Vitalogy is the statement. The artist's statement for the world they see around them. It's the account of what an artist is sacrificing. It's saying, if not screaming; "I will be heard!"
    No Code is the introspection. What have I learned so far? Where am I going? How will I get there?
    Yield (aptly titled) is how to surrender with grace. Recognizing there are forces out there beyond your control. How you interpret those things around you to find peace.
    Binaural is an album that needs to be absorbed. Almost through the skin, as well as the ears. Noticing that there are much bigger things at hand.
    Riot Act is the conversation between two points of view. One who will do as they please. The other who won't let that person hurt themselves in the process. It's about the connection between friends, and how empathy and understanding can lead to a beautiful relationship.
    Pearl Jam (Avocado) is motivation. Pure and simple. It's like a jug of gasoline to light your soul on fire. Sustenance at its inner core.
    Backspacer is the breath of air. It's the feeling of seeing your friend's face after a long time apart. When the waves finally start to break for the surf.
    And finally Lightning Bolt, now this is only after one listen so bear with me. It's the plan. It's about how you move ahead, to the side, or back. Setting the goal, and finding a realization. All while keeping it as simple as possible.

With every release they continue to impress and I still wait to hear what's next. So far, my favorite songs from Lightning Bolt are Getaway, My Father's Son, Sirens, Lightning Bolt, Pendulum, Let the Records Play, and Future Days.

This is what their work means to me. It doesn't mean I'm right or wrong. My opinions are my own. I Am Mine.

Now it could be that I had Yellow Moon playing while reading this but this gave me goose bumps in a somewhat bittersweet kind of way. Where has my life gone? Where is it going? Nice work :) It's like you were able to explain my entire life from teen to adult, with PJ by my side the whole time, in a mere few minutes, and here I am, at "phase 10". Where to go from here...
  • Options
    Ernie VedderErnie Vedder Redlands, CA Posts: 2,226
    Can't get enough of "Getaway!"
    A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I'm pleasantly surprised with it. I haven't really loved anything they've done since Avocado, that's just Backspacer and Ole, but I was starting to get worried. And I wasn't crazy about Mind Your Manners when I heard it, so I didn't listen to anymore until I could listen to the whole album. And I do like Mind Your Manners better within the tracklisting and not just as a single. The standout songs to me were "Getaway", "Pendulum", "Let The Records Play" and "Sleeping By Myself".
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    I'm pleasantly surprised with it. I haven't really loved anything they've done since Avocado, that's just Backspacer and Ole, but I was starting to get worried. And I wasn't crazy about Mind Your Manners when I heard it, so I didn't listen to anymore until I could listen to the whole album. And I do like Mind Your Manners better within the tracklisting and not just as a single. The standout songs to me were "Getaway", "Pendulum", "Let The Records Play" and "Sleeping By Myself".
    Ole

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    Ole

I still wonder who's idea that one was.

"Um, hey guys...sooooo...I know we haven't played anything new in a while but I've got this great song I call Ole..." :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    Ole

"Um, hey guys...sooooo...I know we haven't played anything new in a while but I've got this great song I call Ole..." :lol::lol::lol:
    If it was Boom's idea...
    They get a pass.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    Ole

I just figured they just wrote it because they were about to play South America.
  • Options

I just figured they just wrote it because they were about to play South America.
    I always figured they wrote it......
    Because they had just killed 7 bottles of jaegermeister, and had nothing better to do for the next 20 seconds.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options

I always figured they wrote it......
    Because they had just killed 7 bottles of jaegermeister, and had nothing better to do for the next 20 seconds.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I don't know, because not even drunk can I get into it.
  • Options
    twojawastwojawas Posts: 318
    edited October 2013
    Better than Backspacer but that’s not saying much. Lightning Bolt is Pearl Jam’s Face Dances except there’s no ‘You Better You Bet’. I had high hopes after hearing ‘Mind Your Manners’ but it seems PJ has lost its mojo somewhere along the way.

Still one of my favourite bands but I'm tired of waiting 3-4 years hoping that the next album might be great.
    Post edited by twojawas on
  • Options
    The crazies really come out of the woodwork when you speak your mind. I had a poster on here (THEBIBLEISTEN) PM me to tell me to get off the forum and go to to NIN site. So that's it folks if you don't like something PJ do some posters round here don't want you about.
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    bicyclejoe wrote:
    I agree with the Rolling Stone review: ***1/2 out of five (sadly, the new Miley Cyrus album received the same rating)
    Where did you see a RS review of the album?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    mfc2006 wrote:
    I really like it.

My least favorite songs are SBM & Future Days (could be b/c of the placement on the album) & I still like them. The rest of it is fantastic

im right there too
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    so far ... love the sirens --> lightning bolt --> infallible --> pendulums sequence ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    so far ... love the sirens --> lightning bolt --> infallible --> pendulums sequence ...
    exactly there..wish was lightning bolt --> sirens --> infallible --> pendulum
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    It's unfortunate that people cannot express themselves without being attacked via PM. Everyone of you on here with an opinion should be respected and as we are dealing with music there will never ever be an agreed conscious. Yea I don't like LB at all and expressed why I was challenged by some posters fairly in the spirit of debate while others decided to resort to name calling and sarcasm. The worst part was receiving a private message

[Post edited by Admin. Private messages are private. Do not post them. - Admin]
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    polaris_x wrote:

me too, but I add Swallowed hole as well.....
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    It's unfortunate that people cannot express themselves without being attacked via PM.

dude ... let it go ... we get it ... you don't like it ... it's cool ... you're gonna wait for the next album ... are you looking for attention!? ...

posting pms is a big no no on this board ...
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    give it a rest man.

move on
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    It's unfortunate that people cannot express themselves without being attacked via PM.

dude ... let it go ... we get it ... you don't like it ... it's cool ... you're gonna wait for the next album ... are you looking for attention!? ...

Big no no by who? I don;t see any rule against it? Yes I had my say on the album then I get this out of the blue
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137
    polaris_x wrote:

It's a no-no because it is a punk thing to do.

Like the album, don't like the album...I don't care. But how about we all lighten up. It's only rock and roll ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

Big no no by who? I don;t see any rule against it? Yes I had my say on the album then I get this out of the blue

Perhaps you don't understand that the "p" in "pm" stands for private?

Not cool
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,885
    It's unfortunate that people cannot express themselves without being attacked via PM. Everyone of you on here with an opinion should be respected and as we are dealing with music there will never ever be an agreed conscious. Yea I don't like LB at all and expressed why I was challenged by some posters fairly in the spirit of debate while others decided to resort to name calling and sarcasm. The worst part was receiving a private message

You are correct. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, especially on something as subjective as music/art. But I would hold off posting PM's on the forum. Mods are not a fan of that. Just forward the issue to them and let them handle.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Gotta give it more listens but if say a 4/5.

If they got rid of SBM which is just truly awful compared to the solo version and added another rocker, I'd bump it up to a 4.5 I think.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

It's a no-no because it is a punk thing to do.

Like the album, don't like the album...I don't care. But how about we all lighten up. It's only rock and roll ;)

I like punk ;) as you can see in my reply that's exactly what I said it's just music !
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413

You are correct. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, especially on something as subjective as music/art. But I would hold off posting PM's on the forum. Mods are not a fan of that. Just forward the issue to them and let them handle.

This.....don't stoop to their level by posting this. Pretty ridiculous that somebody can't at least call you out within the thread, but be the bigger person and simply report them to mods. You'll probably get informed about the usefulness of the ignore function.
  • Options
    please,take the drama to pms or to the mods,we want to talk and read about music here
    thanks for the understanding