Options

Lightning Bolt first reviews

Comments

• Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,295
    buck502000 wrote:
    Are you the same as you were in 91'?
    Weeelllllll...

I was twenty-two then, and I'm twenty-three now, so, yeah, pretty much. 8-)

Anyway:

The whole album, to me, has a '70s feel to it, whereas Backspacer had an '80s feel to it. And I don't mean that as if it's a bad thing. It's unexpected and interesting, to me, and I'm enjoying the album much more than I thought I would. I will be interested in hearing how the songs sound live.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    buck502000 wrote:
    buck502000 wrote:

We can now close this thread. All criticisms are henceforth moot due to the above referenced point.

:fp:

That's what I was thinking until the kid showed up. :lol:

:lol:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    buck502000 wrote:
    [

That's what I was thinking until the kid showed up. :lol:
    :lol::lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    edited October 2013
    I'm gonna be in the deep minority here but I absolutely love Sleeping By Myself. I am fucking surprised at this b/c I hated that they chose to put it on the album but man... I absolutely love it... and I'm really not into Ed's solo stuff normally.

There are some songs like Future Days & Lightning Bolt that I'm not super into but I think those will grow on me more...

The only real problem I have with this album as a whole is the track order... some of the changes from song to song are downright awkward. Getaway is a great song but something else like Pendulum could have opened... Yellow Moon would have been a great closer.
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    :lol: So much laughing this morning!
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    so far so good ... can't wait for the headphone listen and the car listen ... :lol: ... you can't truly judge a record until you've done those two ... :mrgreen:
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,644
    Oh God...

"Adult contemporary" is the phrase I use over and over and over again when lambasting Sirens (which, after a half dozen tries, I still haven't heard the whole thing).

This makes me very very sad.

Also, I have not listened yet.

Just listen to it first. I will say, if all you want to do is headbang and rock out, you've probably been listening to the wrong band for about 10 years now. This album will probably not be for you, beyond Mind Your Manners.

"Sirens" is shitty Michael Bolton cliché crap, musically speaking. I can see some of the love for the lyrics, but those opening drums are the musical version of smiling business people stock photos. Just listening to it makes me feel like a soccer mom.

*HOWEVER*, this in no way means all I want to do is head bang and rock out. Why do people jump to that conclusion? Just because I don't like a particular slower song, people jump on the "if all you want is head banging" angle. Pearl Jam has done some masterful "ballads" and slower songs... Indifference, All or None, Off He Goes, Thin Air... even Just Breathe has its merits. These are some of my absolute favorite PJ songs... so no, head banging and rocking out are not all I want to do.

Musically, Sirens is pure saccharine, and if there's more of the same on the album, I'm going to be sickly disappointed.
    I don't mind Sirens and don't agree with your take on it, but you're dead on about people jumping to conclusions around here. If you don't like something PJ does they automatically assume that you want the band to sound like they did 20 years ago or that you can't deal with the band maturing. I find that incredibly annoying.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Upon first review, LB doesn't seem as forced or contrived as BS. Pushes up black-rimmed glasses with index finger. :geek:
  • Options
    Very very disappointing, I'd go as far to say thank fuck for the stream as I will not be buying it. I think it's middle of the road old man radio rock. No balls no bite. It's almost country, I battled through it as each song played I was slowly losing all faith I really think from this display they've had it in regards to writing new music. I have no interest in hearing songs about how great it is to have a family and be in love thats bon jovi/u2/coldplay territory.
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    This album sounds like it was made by 40 something men...

On the first listen and I just can't get with any of the album after Sirens. It's just kinda.....boring.

I love Pearl Jam because I always got the feel that the music was deep and meaningful. These songs all seem like forced emotion. I think the whole band is in good spots in their lives. This doesn't help the music.

I'll keep spinning it. I'm sure it will hit me at some point
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,509
    This is the album I have waiting for since Yield.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    buck502000 wrote:
    I'll say it again.
  • Options
    stickfig13 wrote:

It was. Lol.

stickfig13 wrote:
    I love Pearl Jam because I always got the feel that the music was deep and meaningful. These songs all seem like forced emotion. I think the whole band is in good spots in their lives. This doesn't help the music.
    Really kinda depends on your perspective. I hear a lot of "I'm scared" in this album. Every song talks about impending death, the world is scary, I don't want to lose you. I disagree with both of your statements here...I think its the opposite of forced emotion...I think its their most true album in a while.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,464
    stickfig13 wrote:

On the first listen and I just can't get with any of the album after Sirens. It's just kinda.....boring.

Ha! They got you right where they want you after your first listen: Doubting them. Your mind will change.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Holy Shit with some of these comments.... godamn :lol:
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    TJ25487 wrote:
    stickfig13 wrote:

Ha! They got you right where they want you after your first listen: Doubting them. Your mind will change.

This is pure nonsense, there isn't a part of me that ever wants to listen to this album again, I don't like or listen to this type of music. Here's waiting to the next one.
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    buck502000 wrote:
    buck502000 wrote:
    I'll say it again.
    Ugh. This is a such an annoying point. Maybe that's why no one answered you. Just because they don't like the album (that's not me - I love it!) doesn't mean in any way that they want them to sound like they did in '91. The two have nothing to do with each other.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I don't mind Sirens and don't agree with your take on it, but you're dead on about people jumping to conclusions around here. If you don't like something PJ does they automatically assume that you want the band to sound like they did 20 years ago or that you can't deal with the band maturing. I find that incredibly annoying.

Thanks. Gets my dander up. :) I'm not against the band maturing; it can be a good thing. Look at the latest QOTSA album. Masterpiece, imho, and a record from a band that is far matured from their first albums.
    stickfig13 wrote:
    I think the whole band is in good spots in their lives. This doesn't help the music.

Still haven't listened to it (hoping to tonight with the old lady), so what I'm about to say is not a critique of the album as a whole.

However, the quote there sums up my feelings completely. While I'm not against a band maturing, nor do I want the same album from 1993 to be churned out for 20 years, I do personally find songs born out of anguish, frustration, etc to generally be much better than those born out of contentedness, happiness, and squishy feelings.

I don't know how many of the songs on this album fall into that category yet. Lyrically, Sirens is kind of a mix of both ends, while musically, it sounds like it's the saccharine blah of the happy side.

A long time ago, I was miserable in my life. It was ugly. I wrote tons of poetry (or what I call poetry, at least) as catharsis. And I really really like a lot of what I wrote.

When I snapped out of it and found myself in a much better place, while I was healthier and happier and better off, I found that I wrote what sounded to me like garbage, regardless of how much I tried to make it not garbage. So I stopped writing.

I'm not saying PJ should stop writing now that they have wives and kids and like birthday parties and soccer games, and I'm not saying I wish they all hated the world and their lives. I am saying that I don't like the musical product that is a result of the overall contextual change as much as the angsty crap (be it head bangy or ballady or jammy or whatever).

Sure, some will say that's proof I wish they were still in the 90s, but since there are plenty of later-era songs I'm really into, I think that's an oversimplification of how I feel about their music. See my point about QOTSA above.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,464
    TJ25487 wrote:
    stickfig13 wrote:

This is pure nonsense, there isn't a part of me that ever wants to listen to this album again, I don't like or listen to this type of music. Here's waiting to the next one.

I didn't mean you. I was referring to the guy that still had hope. You are too far gone. :lol:
  • Options
    CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    buck502000 wrote:
    buck502000 wrote:
    I'll say it again.
    Ugh. This is a such an annoying point. Maybe that's why no one answered you. Just because they don't like the album (that's not me - I love it!) doesn't mean in any way that they want them to sound like they did in '91. The two have nothing to do with each other.

ditto.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    buck502000 wrote:
    buck502000 wrote:
    I'll say it again.

I think some people are saying they want the band to sound like they did during the recording of the first few albums. I really enjoy reading the comments on these boards. It makes for quite entertaining reading. The new album is good. The band is getting older and they have families, love, etc.etc. I do as well, and I find the band has evolved and grew up just like me. :D
  • Options
    PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    I can't get enough of the transition between the songs Lightning Bolt and Infallible. I just love the turn the album takes leading into Infallible and Pendulum.
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • Options
    buck502000 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    buck502000 wrote:
    I'll say it again.

I think some people are saying they want the band to sound like they did during the recording of the first few albums. I really enjoy reading the comments on these boards. It makes for quite entertaining reading. The new album is good. The band is getting older and they have families, love, etc.etc. I do as well, and I find the band has evolved and grew up just like me. :D
    Who is saying that?? I haven't seen anyone say that. I never see anyone say that. I might see people use past albums to hold up as some good shit that they did in the past, but never do they say that they should sound the same - only that they expect the same kind of quality, which is a perfectly reasonable expectation (and one I think they've met). That is not the same as saying that they want them to stay the same as they were in 1991 (and again, I love the new album, and I actually consider Ten and Vs. to be at the bottom of the pack in front of Backspacer as far as my favorite albums go... I just don't think that anyone actually ever suggests that they expect the band to be the same as they were before they were 30).
  • Options
    I guess the message I am really trying to convey is there are people on the street who like to pigeonhole PJ as a band from the 90's and think PJ was only relevant during this time. I have discussed this topic with various people on multiple occasions. As we 10 club members know, the band is ever-changing, growing and going in different directions. That, for me, is part of the intrigue and allure that is Pearl Jam. My apologies for not being more concise in my previous statements.
  • Options
    ponner1usponner1us Posts: 737
    I like it, I don't love it, better than Backspacer so far for me, hope it grows on me. Let the Records Play sounded Happy Days(ish) to me, loved Pendulum. But lyrics mean a lot to me, so to read and listen might change my mind. Hope to love it one day, time will tell.
    Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    Only on second listen and sounds just awesome! I need to digest it fully and then give an informed view. But there seems to be a sort of 'polish' to the overall sound...tight, mature ;)
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    ponner1us wrote:
    I like it, I don't love it, better than Backspacer so far for me, hope it grows on me. Let the Records Play sounded Happy Days(ish) to me, loved Pendulum. But lyrics mean a lot to me, so to read and listen might change my mind. Hope to love it one day, time will tell.

It might help to know that Let the Records Play is about the Apocalypse. :)
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    AlfonzAlfonz Posts: 125
    Thinking in a vinyl sense, I think they could make a very solid first side to an LP with Getaway, Mind Your Manners, My Father's Son, Infallible, Pendulum and one of Lightning Bolt/Swallowed Whole. But these days I'm not sure the band is capable of writing an entire album which is all quality. That's normal, the creativity of most artists diminishes with time.

I'm glad they have written a couple of great songs like Infallible and Pendulum, but there are truly some terrible songs like Sirens, Yellow Moon and Future Days. All just my opinion.

Overall, I'd give it about a 5 out of 10. Probably slot it in above Backspacer, but think all their other albums are stronger.

I wonder what the outtakes are like. Based on past history they leave plenty of good stuff on the cutting room floor. I'd have thought they would have surely been able to come up with something better than the last 4-5 songs, or they truly have run out of steam.
  • Options
    cp3iverson wrote:
    As a semi-audiophile I cant bring myself to listen to the stream.

My turntable is waiting for Oct. 15

Couldn't agree more. If these reviews are coming from an online stream of digital files, they don't hold much validity for me.
  • Options
    buck502000 wrote:
    I guess the message I am really trying to convey is there are people on the street who like to pigeonhole PJ as a band from the 90's and think PJ was only relevant during this time. I have discussed this topic with various people on multiple occasions. As we 10 club members know, the band is ever-changing, growing and going in different directions. That, for me, is part of the intrigue and allure that is Pearl Jam. My apologies for not being more concise in my previous statements.
    Well THAT'S true.... are we talking about people on the street? God, most of them don't even know PJ ever even made any albums after maybe Vitalogy. :roll: I thought we were talking about actual fans here! ;)