Options

Lightning Bolt first reviews

renzorockrenzorock Posts: 59
edited December 2013 in The Porch
Listened to it twice.

My thoughts: Backspacer production with depth if Avocado and Binaural.

Also, more adult contemporary sounding than anything they've done.

Like it better that Riot Act and Backspacer.

Standouts:

MYM
Sirens
Pendulum
Yellow Moon-this should have ended the album!!!
Lightning Bolt

Thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    Best since Vitalogy for me.

Loving this to pieces already.
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • Options
    CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    renzorock wrote:

Oh God...

"Adult contemporary" is the phrase I use over and over and over again when lambasting Sirens (which, after a half dozen tries, I still haven't heard the whole thing).

This makes me very very sad.

Also, I have not listened yet.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    staz17staz17 Posts: 88
    Infallible is a standout for me. Love the whole thing. Currently on my 4th listen
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,975
    renzorock wrote:
    Listened to it twice.

My thoughts: Backspacer production with depth if Avocado and Binaural.

Like it better that Riot Act and Backspacer.

Standouts:

MYM
    Sirens
    Pendulum
    Yellow Moon-this should have ended the album!!!
    Lightning Bolt

Thoughts?

Yeah Yellow Moon probably should have ended the album. I'm not really digging the studio version of Future Days, i kinda liked it at Wrigley though. Also don't care too much for sleeping by myself

my standouts:
    Getaway
    Yellow Moon
    Swallowed WHole
    Mind Your Manners
    Pendulum

Infallable. not sure what to make of it. def. different :?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Half this album is fucking outstanding. Territory the band has not ventured to in some time. The other half sucks and would fit nicely as backspacer b-sides. Seriously, sleeping by myself is a joke, yellow moon is sirens broke cousin....never heard an album be so good and so shitty at the same time.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Half this album is fucking outstanding. Territory the band has not ventured to in some time. The other half sucks and would fit nicely as backspacer b-sides. Seriously, sleeping by myself is a joke, yellow moon is sirens broke cousin....never heard an album be so good and so shitty at the same time.

I havent heard the entire thing yet, but this review made me lol a lot.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    renzorock wrote:

Oh God...

"Adult contemporary" is the phrase I use over and over and over again when lambasting Sirens (which, after a half dozen tries, I still haven't heard the whole thing).

This makes me very very sad.

Also, I have not listened yet.

Just listen to it first. I will say, if all you want to do is headbang and rock out, you've probably been listening to the wrong band for about 10 years now. This album will probably not be for you, beyond Mind Your Manners.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    staz17 wrote:
    Infallible is a standout for me. Love the whole thing. Currently on my 4th listen

Reminds me of the best post-Beatles stuff Paul McCartney might have written. I swear I mean this as a compliment. :D
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    MayDay10 wrote:

I havent heard the entire thing yet, but this review made me lol a lot.

i've heard the album twice, and it's pretty spot on, the songs that are good are very good, but it's only 1/2 the album, the rest are very meh.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    slobberdog68slobberdog68 In Hiding Posts: 683
    Like everything except Sleeping by Myself and Future Days (although Future Days is a pretty song)
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need

• Options
    63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    I literally expected nothing from the new album when it was first announced. I mean their last really damn good album was Binaural 13 years ago. After MYM I was buying in a little bit more, and I dug the songs at Wrigley. But after listening through the whole album twice today....this is their best since Binaural. Really caught me off guard at how good this is. Yeah, some of it is pretty mainstream sounding but that's refreshing from time to time. I mean go back and listen to the studio versions of Betterman, Daughter, Elderly Woman, etc. as they are all along those lines.

The bottom line is what they sound like live. While some songs I really like, I can see them being crowd killers unfortunately. Kind of like Cropduster, You Are, etc.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    SColumSColum Posts: 18
    Swallowed Whole is the tune I am really digging, it gives me a real REM feel at the start.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,334
    MY FATHER'S SON

holy shit this fucking rocks!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289
    Loved it upon first listen. There's enough experimentation for me to satisfy that hunger...hasn't been fulfilled since 2002. Eds voice is so rich and Jeff is very prominent. I cant ask for more.
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Another great Pearl Jam album. I love Lightning Bolt.
  • Options
    PJ88PJ88 Birthplace of the Toll House Cookie Posts: 1,074
    I guess I like what I have just heard from the iTunes stream. As a whole, I not quite sure though. I am definitely going to reserve full/complete judgement for when I have the cd and vinyl in hand and can give it a proper listen to with my headphones on.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Heard negative chatter on Sleeping by Myself.

I think it sounds phenomenal on this album. They really livened it up just enough.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,647
    As a semi-audiophile I cant bring myself to listen to the stream.

My turntable is waiting for Oct. 15
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    7/10

A bit too poppy. I could have done with more darker sounds or Ed singer more lower, but still some solid songs.

I need to give it a few more listens.
  • Options
    Red Lukin wrote:
    7/10

A bit too poppy. I could have done with more darker sounds or Ed singer more lower, but still some solid songs.

I need to give it a few more listens.
    Spot on.
  • Options
    DH62179DH62179 Posts: 312
    MY FATHER'S SON

holy shit this fucking rocks!

Love this one!!! Love the line in Infallible too about things looking better from the otherside of the fence or something that stuck with me.
  • Options
    Mitch8415Mitch8415 Posts: 227
    SBM is fine, but I think it takes up valuable real estate. I mean, it could have been Of The Earth, for Christ's sake.
    ~ Chicago 5/16/06 ~ Chicago 8/23/09 ~ Chicago 8/24/09 ~
    ~ Kansas City 5/3/10 ~ Alpine Valley 9/3/11 ~ Alpine Valley 9/4/11 ~
    ~ Wrigley Field 7/19/13 ~ Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ~ St. Louis 10/3/14 ~
    ~ Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ~ Wrigley Field 8/18/18 ~ Wrigley Field 8/20/18 ~
    ~ Fenway Park 9/4/18 ~ Denver 9/22/22
  • Options
    McNairnMcNairn Posts: 284
    Great record through and through.
    I am really happy right now.
    Also, quit the banter about "SBM". It's a great song. The lyrics are excellent. I always loved this song from the Uke album and the new version is going to settle in nicely. It has a place on the album, it isn't a misfit, it goes with the flow and it is a classic enduring song.
    There are plenty of folks that feel the same way. I feel like a lot of people pre-judged the tune before they ever heard it. If you havent heard the Lighning Bolt version of Sleeping By Myself keep an open mind. There is definately something special about this song which is why it is on the record.

There are no negatives for me on this album. it is pure PJ Bliss from beginning to end.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Yellow Moon is nothing like Sirens.

Do you like Lowlight? Thats what I hear when I hear YM..but darker lyrics.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Mitch8415Mitch8415 Posts: 227
    "Also, quit the banter about "SBM". It's a great song"

Sorry, people are gonna be disappointed. It's remake taking up space on their first album in over 4 years. I get the hate.

I don't dislike the song, but it wasn't even close to the best song on Ukulele Songs, and it's the one they chose to do over? Just an odd choice.

Oh well, not a BFD... songs 1-7 are choice on this record. The others I'm still working through. Might take a few listens.
    ~ Chicago 5/16/06 ~ Chicago 8/23/09 ~ Chicago 8/24/09 ~
    ~ Kansas City 5/3/10 ~ Alpine Valley 9/3/11 ~ Alpine Valley 9/4/11 ~
    ~ Wrigley Field 7/19/13 ~ Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ~ St. Louis 10/3/14 ~
    ~ Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ~ Wrigley Field 8/18/18 ~ Wrigley Field 8/20/18 ~
    ~ Fenway Park 9/4/18 ~ Denver 9/22/22
  • Options
    Hard to say... Listened three times now and honestly nothing has stuck with me at all. Just goes in one ear and out the other.

I'm hoping that it'll grow on me but so far, it hasn't.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,334
    Mitch8415 wrote:
    SBM is fine, but I think it takes up valuable real estate. I mean, it could have been Of The Earth, for Christ's sake.

why couldn't they both be on it? of the earth would have fit nicely near yellow moon...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    DedvwDedvw Posts: 245
    A couple meh.

A couple cool songs.

A couple masterpieces.

If I get one masterpiece per album I'm happy. This album has more than one.
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,935
    I think the Bolt is sick nasty. Does anyone else think Sleeping By Myself sounds like a holiday single?
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    Yellow Moon is nothing like Sirens.

Do you like Lowlight? Thats what I hear when I hear YM..but darker lyrics.
    I hear nothing similar to low light. It's original, just not good. This album is fucking awesome.......minus YM,LB and FD. Give me cold confession, let it ride and of the earth instead and this album is unstoppable. SBM was a huge mistake, and it needs to be pointed out over and over.