Lightning Bolt first reviews

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    prefer it to back spacer on the whole :D
  • Options
    sxwxgirl1 wrote:
    I will be honest, as hard as I am trying, I just cannot get into it. This is my opinion only, and equally respect those who do love it. Do not question my loyalty to PJ or EV please, as I am a die hard, "lifer" with PJ and EV (I am the one with the EV tat :) but also one that feels perfection cannot be achieved all the time in everything.

I have not posted in a while, my Mother died back in July, and I had to give away my 10c Pearl Jam tix as she died at the same time I was supposed to go to London On show. It was an awful time. I could not even listen to PJ since July as it brought back really sad memories of Mom dying.

So I thought, now is the time to jump back on board. With such a long wait since Backspacer (which BTW I did like some tunes on, like Just Breathe, still takes my breath away) I had high expectations.

Between the Country twang in "Sleeping by Myself" and Eddie almost sounding like Elvis on "Let the Records Play" and the "distortion effects" are not doing Eddie's voice any justice. Sorry I love my Eddie with a deep baritone (Nothing as It Seems) and to hold a note forever (like in Release Me or even Crown of Thorns for that matter) with a pitch that one could only dream of. (love the entire Into the Wild Soundtrack)

Perfect Band working together in sync to create magical pieces of musical art.

Lightning Bolt..again IMHO, does not achieve any of this. I do like Yellow Moon, deep, soulful, and "clean" in sound. Mystical lyrics. I find myself getting deeply into my PJ zone with that song.

I have tried, genuinely tried listening to the CD in different moods, settings, driving, sitting alone, listening with people, even lighting (it should not be this difficult!!) to get into it, and so far I have failed.(Other than Yellow Moon) I find it all over the place personally.

I am not a young buck, and have grown, as has PJ and EV. However, I am not so sure I can "grow" into Lightning Bolt.

Just my 2 pennies worth, take it for that :roll: :roll:

I am sorry to hear that you lost you mom. I hope that your pain lifts.
  • Options
    Brane_of_JFKBrane_of_JFK Maryland Posts: 1,900
    ltrp 1.5/5...shania twain meets bugs bunny meets zz top meets jeepers creepers and was supposed to meet up with DoTheEvoloution for beers but got lost on the way and then just eventually gave up looking. yuck. this one is a mess.

OMG, that is EXACTLY what crossed my mind when I first heard this song...well, and ever since as well.

I posted a few days ago that I was extremely disappointed after my first 3 listens of LB, but it has grown on me a bit. I absolutely LOVE Getaway, and the 1-2 punch of that and MYM really starts off nicely. I'm still disappointed in the fact that the entire 2nd half of the record is pretty much filler (with the exception of Infallible and possibly Pendulum), and that it really lacks any true rock songs like the beginning of the album.

I understand they are not that kind of band anymore, and I can appreciate, respect and still enjoy that fact, but after getting the early preview of MYM in July, I was super-hyped that there would be some VS-esque harder-rock tracks...but to no avail.

Overall, not bad, I would give it 3.5/5 at this point...
  • Options
    I am in Love those days,
    and the record keeps spinning ... :P

So it's a great post, thanks for it already...
    Although I wrote already some shortcuts about the album, I take this post to form a new, more thought through review of Lightening Bolt.

I hadn't expected such an outcome after Backspacer ... I dont know what I expected, but I was really surprised by the high quality of LB, musically + lyric"ally" spoken.
    When I hold the CD finally in hands, I started the listening experience with the song Lightning Bolt, followed by Infallible and then Pendulum - then I stopped because I literally was overwhelmed! Only the next day I listenend from the real start...

Well, the last 2 1/2 years I wrote a book and now some PJ lyrics bring one part all together, what I had tried to put in everlasting words... to me Lighting Bolt, the song itself, is the perfect poem that I tried to find myself...
    and combined with this full of energy music sound, I just wanna call out and dance... it's really giving me goose bumps, heartbeats and just: purest music pleasure and more...
    so yup, I feel the earth, too, long time ever since, and musically spoken, I just feel straight happy and almost INLoVE about these new+stunning tones.
    So I need to thank again for this triple I heard first, and which means still more to me. These 3 songs are my headlines, faves, if there are any.
    I really like the lyrics of Infallible, and also the music surprises, and well, Pendulum is just epic to me, also for the sound!

But there is more:
    Swallowed whole is fun, just happy tunes with such positive spirit that just make you smile,
    yellow moon is fun, because finally I have a song with which I can celebrate the moon ;) and howling to the FULL,
    I like let the record play for the difficult and tricky tones that only come to a real flow after the 3rd listening ...
    Mind your Manners was fun right from the start -first release- the punk side of Pearl Jam...
    and: I really like Future Days as the last song of this wow- album, the optimist ending is just fine,
    just perfect to me as is the full album, those days...

And , my last and, the best thing about the new album is: you really get already a feeling about how great the songs can be played live, with some solos, or enlarged guitar jams... and that I call continuing FUN of its finest with all the bootlegs to enjoy...

So my compliments and big Thanks go out to this great Band that I like so much and which composed another mesmeriszing album, in which they are experiencing more musically but with messages transferred that are still focusing on their roots!

great great work and one more thank you, for keeping your promise that PJ is built to last!
    n.
    there is no way to peace, peace is the way!
    ...the world is come undone, I like to change it everyday but change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • Options
    Brane_of_JFKBrane_of_JFK Maryland Posts: 1,900
    crober72 wrote:
    Getaway - Love it. Can't get it out of my head (in a good way). IMO, best opening track to a PJ album since Brain of J.
    100% agree...been in my head for days and I keep playing it on repeat :)
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,463
    I think LB is fantastic and respect everybody's negative opinion as PJ have always put out polarizing music but I don't understand why people get stuck on 2 or 3 bad songs when there are 12 songs? I would be perfectly happy if they left LTRP and SBM off the album but the skip button is at your fingertips people. PJ has been putting filler in their albums since ten and if they throw in a piano or violin sound every now and then who gives a rats ass as long as the overall song is good? I think LB has great flow and great attitude and is well produced. Good on ya PJ!
  • Options
    OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683