Options

Lightning Bolt first reviews

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,645
    I'm in the extreme minority here but after two listens, I can't get into this album at all. Not one song really stands out for me. There's a couple of so-so songs and the rest is just forgettable. At this point I'd say I'd rather listen to Backspacer.

The person who mentioned Adult Contemporary was spot-on. I fully expect to turn on my local AC station and hear some of these songs in heavy rotation.

The songs that I can stand to listen to are:

MYM
    Swallowed Whole
    Let The Records Play

Everything else is just forgettable and MYM is the only song that really rocks and I really never liked it much to begin with.

After two years of sporadically working on this project, my suspicions were confirmed that they just didn't have any solid ideas or inspiration and were grasping at something to throw together. This is same way I feel about the next Tool album whenever it might be released. If it takes this long and your side projects and other adventures take precedence, then something is not right.

100% with you man, not sure of your age but I really think the older fans are loving it. Maybe because they have familes and feel more in touch with the lyrical content, if someone stuck this album on and I didn't know it was PJ I'd would be taking the piss out of it's cheese factor.

I'm actually one of the older, female, fans pushing 40. I love the angrier/grittier songs of the past. Although I did like Avocado a lot maybe because it was written during a more politically charged era.
    I love the gritty stuff too! Love it all.... I don't think there is any need to pigeon hole people here. There is room in one brain to appreciate all kinds of different sounding music.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I thought half the album was very good and half wasn't. I don't care much for the 'Dad Rock' stuff, i.e. Sirens, Sleeping By Myself, Future Days. It's just too cheesey. I'm sure he's trying to preserve his voice but I really can't stand the mid-sentence voice changes Ed does now days. All-in-all it's a good album though.

I do think the album is going to get some good publicity next week but it will be short lived since Arcade Fire's album drops the following week.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I'm in the extreme m

After two years of sporadically working on this project, my suspicions were confirmed that they just didn't have any solid ideas or inspiration and were grasping at something to throw together. This is same way I feel about the next Tool album whenever it might be released. If it takes this long and your side projects and other adventures take precedence, then something is not right.

100% with you man, not sure of your age but I really think the older fans are loving it. Maybe because they have familes and feel more in touch with the lyrical content, if someone stuck this album on and I didn't know it was PJ I'd would be taking the piss out of it's cheese factor.

I'm actually one of the older, female, fans pushing 40. I love the angrier/grittier songs of the past. Although I did like Avocado a lot maybe because it was written during a more politically charged era.
    I love the gritty stuff too! Love it all.... I don't think there is any need to pigeon hole people here. There is room in one brain to appreciate all kinds of different sounding music.[/quote]

I'm not trying to tell people what they think and what they are into. As I said this is music that does nothing for me and in my tastes is extremly easy listening and mainstream
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I love the gritty stuff too! Love it all.... I don't think there is any need to pigeon hole people here. There is room in one brain to appreciate all kinds of different sounding music.

I'm not trying to tell people what they think and what they are into. As I said this is music that does nothing for me and in my tastes is extremly easy listening and mainstream
    Yeah, I understand. I'm just jumping in to make sure that those who like this album aren't dismissed as old people who don't like the older grittier stuff, since that is very far from the truth. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I thought half the album was very good and half wasn't. I don't care much for the 'Dad Rock' stuff, i.e. Sirens, Sleeping By Myself, Future Days. It's just too cheesey. I'm sure he's trying to preserve his voice but I really can't stand the mid-sentence voice changes Ed does now days. All-in-all it's a good album though.

I do think the album is going to get some good publicity next week but it will be short lived since Arcade Fire's album drops the following week.

I didn't like either of the Arcade Fire songs from SNL.
  • Options

I didn't like either of the Arcade Fire songs from SNL.
    I think Reflektor kind of sucks, which I wasn't expecting, since I usually love whatever David Bowie collaborates on. I think they maybe decided to draw from the success of the latest Daft Punk album, and failed at the attempt. I haven't heard anything else from the new album though. Maybe it's great, I don't know.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    If you don't like Getaway, then this whole music thing is just not for you.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    grazmangrazman Posts: 198
    Have had quite a few listens to this album and really loving the first 7 songs, and then the album gets a little disjointed for me, kindof flows really well upto Swallowed Whole and then loses its way a little. I really cannot get my head around the chorus of Let The Records Play, I think that's the problem - maybe if that kicks in I can appreciate the final 15 minutes abit more but overall its definitely the best album their produced since Yield. Sirens, Yellow Moon, My Fathers Son - 10/10 songs for me - 1 clunker which may grow on me. Very happy with album and can't wait to hear these babies live.
    It's Evolution, Baby!
  • Options
    Just wanna put it out there that I am 18 and love the really hard gritty angry tunes (because yes, I do have a lot of anger at this age hahah) BUT I also Love the softer stuff from them, the sentimental or ballady or touching "cheesy" songs.

The thing for me is that I don't really find them cheesy, least not in a bad way. It's like ya, the dude is almost 50, has wife and kids, not much anger towards political stuff lately, so naturally its not as angry or aggressiv eor whatever and has some of that "sappier" stuff.

But c'mon people, is it just me, or does noone do "cheesy" like eddie and Co? And don't say they fell off or whatever cuz if you listen to come back, or just breathe, or future days or sirens, its like yes sometimes they feel a bit too much, so sure you have to be in the mood for them. But they are still such fucking good songs!!

That's the beauty of pearl jam, thats why I like them even more than the beatles or any band anywhere. I didn't grow up with this shit, it was never cool or "in" for me to like them. I never heard em on the radio. Its just pure love of a band that I swear just has their shit together! Suuuuch great music, to suuuuuch great lyrics, and everything else they have!

Long short of it, PJ fucking rocks, and I understand if you only enjoy heavier/aggressive you may not love this release, but to those who like a wider range of music, HOW BOUT THIS ALBUM EH?

:D CANT WAIT FOR TOUR!!!!! N :corn: see ya there chaps 8-) Ill be the tall skinny dude rocking to MYM and crying to sirens haha
  • Options
    Just wanna put it out there that I am 18 and love the really hard gritty angry tunes (because yes, I do have a lot of anger at this age hahah) BUT I also Love the softer stuff from them, the sentimental or ballady or touching "cheesy" songs.

The thing for me is that I don't really find them cheesy, least not in a bad way. It's like ya, the dude is almost 50, has wife and kids, not much anger towards political stuff lately, so naturally its not as angry or aggressiv eor whatever and has some of that "sappier" stuff.

But c'mon people, is it just me, or does noone do "cheesy" like eddie and Co? And don't say they fell off or whatever cuz if you listen to come back, or just breathe, or future days or sirens, its like yes sometimes they feel a bit too much, so sure you have to be in the mood for them. But they are still such fucking good songs!!

That's the beauty of pearl jam, thats why I like them even more than the beatles or any band anywhere. I didn't grow up with this shit, it was never cool or "in" for me to like them. I never heard em on the radio. Its just pure love of a band that I swear just has their shit together! Suuuuch great music, to suuuuuch great lyrics, and everything else they have!

Long short of it, PJ fucking rocks, and I understand if you only enjoy heavier/aggressive you may not love this release, but to those who like a wider range of music, HOW BOUT THIS ALBUM EH?

:D CANT WAIT FOR TOUR!!!!! N :corn: see ya there chaps 8-) Ill be the tall skinny dude rocking to MYM and crying to sirens haha

To say not enjoying this albums means you have a lesser range of music is untrue, to me this type of easy listening type rock is way to simplistic and unengaging, I listen to way more music styles than rock I like contemporary music no matter what genre
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,509

To say not enjoying this albums means you have a lesser range of music is untrue, to me this type of easy listening type rock is way to simplistic and unengaging, I listen to way more music styles than rock I like contemporary music no matter what genre

Everyone is 100% entitled to their opinion, and if you don't like it, that's totally fine. Not everyone likes the sound of things, or the wording of things, and not everyone is going to agree on everything. There are PJ songs I like and songs I don't, etc.

I think the only thing that I take issue with is the fact that you call them "easy listening". Its not easy listening. Its not adult contemporary. Its rock. The Rolling Stones have slow songs, so do Zeppelin. So does the Who. I don't find any of these songs "Easier" than "Elderly Woman", "Betterman", "Black", "Parting Ways", "Low Light", "Thumbing My Way", "Come Back", "Love Boat Captain", "Man of the Hour", "Light Years", "Thin Air", "Wishlist", "Around The Bend". Speaking of which, I heard Daughter and Betterman on the local Lite channel recently. So, its not like they are treading into extreme unknown territory.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Anyone is free to like or not like the album, obviously. But there isn't a single song on this album I would classify as "simplistic."
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,296

heh. I am listening now w/earbuds, after some fifteen listens via computer speakers. I am liking this. 8-)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Anyone is free to like or not like the album, obviously. But there isn't a single song on this album I would classify as "simplistic."
    Same here. I think that if someone thinks any of it is simplistic, they don't know anything about music.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,296
    :D I am sitting in a public location, listening to this on earbuds with a big silly grin on my face, trying to avoid embarrassing myself and my kid by rocking out and/or singing along. :oops:
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Same here. I think that if someone thinks any of it is simplistic, they don't know anything about music.

I play in a band I know about music, it is simplistic to me as in it follows typical verse chorus structure it's hardly Tera Melos structuring
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    I've listened to it twice now.
    Best album since Binaural.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I play in a band I know about music, it is simplistic to me as in it follows typical verse chorus structure it's hardly Tera Melos structuring

Now you come to mention it...that damn pesky verse chorus verse chorus arrangement, I'm glad you pointed that out being in a band knowing about music and all that... damn lazy songwriting :roll:
    It's Evolution, Baby!
  • Options
    I think its incredible. Infallibe, getaway, swallowed whole and sirens are top of the heap right now.

Great job PJ.

8.5/10
  • Options
    grazman wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Now you come to mention it...that damn pesky verse chorus verse chorus arrangement, I'm glad you pointed that out being in a band knowing about music and all that... damn lazy songwriting :roll:[/quote]
    You accused me of knowing nothing about music I did say from the start it was my opinion that it was simplistic. Jesus people on here are very stroppy when someone doesn't think like them
  • Options
    So far "Lightning Bolt" is a Favorite. Has a reviewmirror feel to it. A great driving song.
    myspace.com/patricksmark
  • Options
    grazman wrote:
    Now you come to mention it...that damn pesky verse chorus verse chorus arrangement, I'm glad you pointed that out being in a band knowing about music and all that... damn lazy songwriting :roll:
    You accused me of knowing nothing about music I did say from the start it was my opinion that it was simplistic. Jesus people on here are very stroppy when someone doesn't think like them

Not accused you of anything, you're in a band and know more about music than me. Your insights have really opened my eyes on Pearl Jam's songwriting ability, damn that pesky verse chorus thingy.... really gets on my bellend.
    It's Evolution, Baby!
  • Options
    grazman wrote:
    grazman wrote:

Not accused you of anything, you're in a band and know more about music than me. Your insights have really opened my eyes on Pearl Jam's songwriting ability, damn that pesky verse chorus thingy.... really gets on my bellend.

Like I said being a wanker because someone has a different viewpoint than you screams of immaturity
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,167
    I agree with the Rolling Stone review: ***1/2 out of five (sadly, the new Miley Cyrus album received the same rating)

Decent but nothing that will stay in the car stereo for long. Over-produced, with passable song writing and nothing surprising sonically. This may be the first time that a new Pearl Jam album doesn't make my Top 10 year-end list.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    Getaway - is gritty and rockalicious has kind of a "Life Wasted" or "World wide Suicide" sound to it.
    Mind your Manners - I swear this song was left of the Self titled album. good shit!!! and loud too!!! also has a "Life Wasted" sound too it.
    My Fathers Son - This one is going to have to grow on me. I think ounce the lyrics are read and pushed into my subconscious it will be nothing less than a hit. The Primal angst in eddies voice make this unpassable.
    Sirens - Love it!!!! Has a lot off the same qualities "Amongst the waves" has. This is a Greatest hit for any PJ Fan.
    Lightning Bolt - One of my new favorites I already have this one memorized.......well at least till the end of song when Eddie goes crazy. Lyrically it just doesn't get any better than this. It has that take to flight feel to it. Maybe a "given to fly" or "Present Tense". U can feel Eddie lift off. I FUCKING LOVE IT!!!!
    Infallable - Has a touch of BINAURAL or maybe a little Vitology. I like it like i like "unthought unknown" some of the guitar riffs are pretty cool.
    Pendulum - Obviously Dark and thought out. "Ghost" has this feeling to it. To me that is.
    Swallowed Whole - I think Maybe The Who should cover this one. I like this one of course
    Let the Records Play - This has to be a collaboration of Mcready and Stone. Rockabilly meets Stones weird off beat Bayleaf sound. It will grow on me though just like Bayleaf did.
    Sleeping By Myself - I am still confused on why this one is on here. Lol it feels like when "force of nature" sounded different on Backspacer. I like the song but it kind of feels like I had shuffle on and it hiccuped.
    Yellow Moon - Has a Blaze of Glory country feel. I know am going to catch shit for this one. I need the Lyrics.
    Future Days - Great song!!!! not as sad as "The End". Reminds me a lot of the Into the wild Soundtrack.
    myspace.com/patricksmark
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,647
    Okay so i limited myself to only 6 songs ...so half of the album. Here's what i've got:

Getaway- great opener. great rock song.
    MYM- we all know this one. it's okay. i haven't revisited it much this past summer though.
    My Fathers Son- really love the energy of this one. the chorus is awesome. This, Sirens, and Future Days are my top 3 songs so far.

Sirens- One of my top 4 or 5 PJ songs ever (with Sleight of Hand, Man of the Hour, Release, etc). I'm serious. The lyrics, the guitars, etc. Unreal. It means a lot to me already.

Lightning Bolt- Solid tune. My wife likes this one a lot. She also liked Unthought Known last time. Similar

Future Days - Studio version beats the Wrigley version by a lot. Amazing song. Love the keyboards.

so i have Infallible, Pendulum, Let the Records Play, Swallowed Whole, Yellow Moon, and Sleeping By Myself to listen to whenever my vinyl arrives from 10C. So far it's already way better than self titled and probably better than Backspacer. I'm excited that the songs i've left out seem to be on a lot of people's top 3 or top 5.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Can I safely assume the same people that criticize LB as "over-produced" also dislike Ten, Yield, Binaural, and S/T and portions of almost every other album?
  • Options
    JP67545JP67545 Posts: 13
    This album definitely feels over produced, but thats not saying it's not good, in fact I think it's great.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me!
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,360

:clap:
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413

My favorite part of PJ's songwriting style is the weird left turns, but it's not like they have a history of these crazy arrangements. I think LB has alot of surprises with the music itself as opposed to the arrangements. I'm glad they brought at least a little more depth this time around, b/c that was a gaping hole on Backspacer.