Options

Lightning Bolt first reviews

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641
    cp3iverson wrote:
    As a semi-audiophile I cant bring myself to listen to the stream.

My turntable is waiting for Oct. 15

Couldn't agree more. If these reviews are coming from an online stream of digital files, they don't hold much validity for me.
    Cannot wait to get the vinyl!! But hearing the digital stream now isn't going to detract from that for me. :) To each their own. I guess if I had the will power I would have wait too, but I don't so I didn't. :P
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 540
    there will never be albums like the first five, lets just face it. for me im surprised Avocado doesnt get more love, maybe its because im a younger fan and thats the album that turned me on to them, but I find that album to be one of my favorites. that being said i actually really like Lightning Bolt only after one full listen (did listen to those leaked songs a bunch before though).

a few things id change like most said was less piano for one. dont really like redoing the uke song nor do i think future days belongs despite it being a good song. if they replaced those with of the earth, cold confessions, or let it ride it would improve the album a lot.

besides that i think the album is great and proves to the haters of this band on here that they can make great music. personally i have this right now above backspacer and riot act, its neck and neck with binaural. i think with those changes i said it moves into the upper echelon.

id give it a soft 8/10
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    ...if they replaced those with of the earth, cold confessions, or let it ride it would improve the album a lot...

I understand where you're coming from w/ the 3 song suggestions but they did come out and say that Of the Earth has not yet had a proper studio recording they like. Cold Confession and Let it Ride are from completely different sessions too and they probably wouldn't have considered them for the record because of that.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,508
    Of The Earth has B-side written all over it. I don't think its album worthy.

And I say this knowing that SBM is on LB.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    Marcus MaximusMarcus Maximus Posts: 282
    edited October 2013
    buck502000 wrote:
    I guess the message I am really trying to convey is there are people on the street who like to pigeonhole PJ as a band from the 90's and think PJ was only relevant during this time. I have discussed this topic with various people on multiple occasions. As we 10 club members know, the band is ever-changing, growing and going in different directions. That, for me, is part of the intrigue and allure that is Pearl Jam. My apologies for not being more concise in my previous statements.

The problem is they aren't doing anything contemporary or different, look at NIN new album a master piece that's fresh a sonically amazing , Trent is 50 yet he still retains that spark of angry that he had from day one.

As steve albini said ''If an album takes more than 2 weeks to make you are doing something wrong'' LB took 2 years and that's exactly what it feels like, songs left on the shelf then taken down a constantly being re worked. For me thats not how you make good music I am a firm believe of capturing a moment.
    Post edited by Marcus Maximus on
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    At the minute, it's around 7/10 for me...

Some amazing stuff - first 4 tracks and Yellow Moon are stellar to me.

Future Days would've been great with the keyboards...

Pendulum is the best thing they've written since Riot Act...

Hate most of the production, miss the rawer sound of No Code, Binaural and Riot Act...
    In a former forum life I was Cropduster84
  • Options
    It's the rawness that's lacking...

The production and introduction of cheesy keyboards makes parts sound a little dated already...

Ditch Brendan, ditch Boom, be a five piece again and do away with overdubs...

Lightning Bolt is better than Backspacer...

But hand on heart is it as good as or come close to their first 7 albums? No :(
    In a former forum life I was Cropduster84
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    edited October 2013
    buck502000 wrote:
    I guess the message I am really trying to convey is there are people on the street who like to pigeonhole PJ as a band from the 90's and think PJ was only relevant during this time. I have discussed this topic with various people on multiple occasions. As we 10 club members know, the band is ever-changing, growing and going in different directions. That, for me, is part of the intrigue and allure that is Pearl Jam. My apologies for not being more concise in my previous statements.

The problem is they aren't doing anything contemporary or different, look at NIN new album a master piece that's fresh a sonically amazing , Trent is 50 yet he still retains that spark of angry that he had from day one.

As steve albini said ''If an album takes more than 2 weeks to make you are doing something wrong'' LB took 2 years and that's exactly what it feels like, songs left on the shelf then taken down a constantly being re worked. For me thats not how you make good music I am a firm believe of capturing a moment.

Comparing PJ to NIN, is like comparing apples to oranges. I have listened to "Hesitation Marks". It is good in it's own regard. I just do not particularly enjoy eating oranges. :) I agree with the making a record quick ideology. But please, don't write off Pearl Jam or Lightning Bolt, just yet.
    Post edited by buck502000 on
  • Options
    The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 540
    ...if they replaced those with of the earth, cold confessions, or let it ride it would improve the album a lot...

I understand where you're coming from w/ the 3 song suggestions but they did come out and say that Of the Earth has not yet had a proper studio recording they like. Cold Confession and Let it Ride are from completely different sessions too and they probably wouldn't have considered them for the record because of that.

i guess what i meant was another more rock-ish song instead of that. i just used those as examples because they're recent tracks that we've heard of, im sure there were other songs that didnt make it as well.
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
  • Options
    there will never be albums like the first five, lets just face it. for me im surprised Avocado doesnt get more love, maybe its because im a younger fan and thats the album that turned me on to them, but I find that album to be one of my favorites. that being said i actually really like Lightning Bolt only after one full listen (did listen to those leaked songs a bunch before though).

a few things id change like most said was less piano for one. dont really like redoing the uke song nor do i think future days belongs despite it being a good song. if they replaced those with of the earth, cold confessions, or let it ride it would improve the album a lot.

besides that i think the album is great and proves to the haters of this band on here that they can make great music. personally i have this right now above backspacer and riot act, its neck and neck with binaural. i think with those changes i said it moves into the upper echelon.

id give it a soft 8/10
    I loooooove Avocado, and I'm old. :D And Riot Act and Binaural! :)

I don't think Of the Earth would have been good with this album, but Cold Confession would have been a good replacement for SBM. I only hate the intro/outro for FD, so just wish they'd fixed that up rather than taking it right off the record.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    buck502000 wrote:
    buck502000 wrote:

Comparing PJ to NIN, is like comparing apples to oranges. I have listened to "Hesitation Marks". It is good in it's own regard. I just do not particularly enjoy eating oranges. :) Don't write off Pearl Jam or Lightning Bolt, just yet.

The point is the nin album is contemporary and pushes the boundaries in its field. LB is music that I wouldn't listen to it's middle of the road rock
  • Options
    Cool, see ya later! :lol:
  • Options
    buck502000 wrote:

Comparing PJ to NIN, is like comparing apples to oranges. I have listened to "Hesitation Marks". It is good in it's own regard. I just do not particularly enjoy eating oranges. :) Don't write off Pearl Jam or Lightning Bolt, just yet.

The point is the nin album is contemporary and pushes the boundaries in its field. LB is music that I wouldn't listen to it's middle of the road rock
    I love both! Definitely don't think LB is middle of the road rock. I'm going to the NIN and PJ shows within 2 weeks of one another - it's going to be awesome! :mrgreen: That sucks you dislike the new album so much. :( I know how it feels because of Backspacer. I am really glad I love LB, because I couldn't handle feeling like you do now 2 albums in a row.
  • Options
    OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    buck502000 wrote:
    The new album is good. The band is getting older and they have families, love, etc.etc. I do as well, and I find the band has evolved and grew up just like me. :D

Yep!
  • Options
    I love both! Definitely don't think LB is middle of the road rock. I'm going to the NIN and PJ shows within 2 weeks of one another - it's going to be awesome! :mrgreen: That sucks you dislike the new album so much. :( I know how it feels because of Backspacer. I am really glad I love LB, because I couldn't handle feeling like you do now 2 albums in a row.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

If it's not middle of the road rock what is it? Yea it's going to be a long wait to the next
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Kinda wanted to wait until i got the wax but i broke down and am listening. So far it's pretty good.
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options

If it's not middle of the road rock what is it?
    I dunno - Pearl Jam? They're super unique IMO. Do I really need to come up with some kind of definition? If so, I would still call them an alt rock band. Are you trying to convince me that it's middle of the road aka average rock? Because I completely disagree. However, I respect your incredibly negative reaction to the album.... nothing is going to please everyone. I personally hate the Foo Fighters and DMB. That fucking suck.
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,497
    I'm in the extreme minority here but after two listens, I can't get into this album at all. Not one song really stands out for me. There's a couple of so-so songs and the rest is just forgettable. At this point I'd say I'd rather listen to Backspacer.

The person who mentioned Adult Contemporary was spot-on. I fully expect to turn on my local AC station and hear some of these songs in heavy rotation.

The songs that I can stand to listen to are:

MYM
    Swallowed Whole
    Let The Records Play

Everything else is just forgettable and MYM is the only song that really rocks and I really never liked it much to begin with.

After two years of sporadically working on this project, my suspicions were confirmed that they just didn't have any solid ideas or inspiration and were grasping at something to throw together. This is same way I feel about the next Tool album whenever it might be released. If it takes this long and your side projects and other adventures take precedence, then something is not right.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I dunno - Pearl Jam? They're super unique IMO. Do I really need to come up with some kind of definition? If so, I would still call them an alt rock band. Are you trying to convince me that it's middle of the road aka average rock? Because I completely disagree. However, I respect your incredibly negative reaction to the album.... nothing is going to please everyone. I personally hate the Foo Fighters and DMB. That fucking suck.

To me its in the same leauge as Foo Fighters actually it's slighlty below. It sreams of springteen esq rock and me that radio rock. I like how you tried to sugar coat you dig at me.
  • Options
    I bought this album sight-unseen, because I know I will like it. To me, it is probably better than 90% of "new" music being released currently. There are a handful of bands that are like this for me.
  • Options
    I'm in the extreme minority here but after two listens, I can't get into this album at all. Not one song really stands out for me. There's a couple of so-so songs and the rest is just forgettable. At this point I'd say I'd rather listen to Backspacer.

The person who mentioned Adult Contemporary was spot-on. I fully expect to turn on my local AC station and hear some of these songs in heavy rotation.

MYM
    Swallowed Whole
    Let The Records Play

Everything else is just forgettable and MYM is the only song that really rocks and I really never liked it much to begin with.

After two years of sporadically working on this project, my suspicions were confirmed that they just didn't have any solid ideas or inspiration and were grasping at something to throw together. This is same way I feel about the next Tool album whenever it might be released. If it takes this long and your side projects and other adventures take precedence, then something is not right.

100% with you man, not sure of your age but I really think the older fans are loving it. Maybe because they have familes and feel more in touch with the lyrical content, if someone stuck this album on and I didn't know it was PJ I'd would be taking the piss out of it's cheese factor.
  • Options
    barbbarb Italy Posts: 14
    Love it!
    Thanks again guys...
    :D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

To me its in the same leauge as Foo Fighters actually it's slighlty below. It sreams of springteen esq rock and me that radio rock. I like how you tried to sugar coat you dig at me.
    Wow, it's like we're hearing 2 different albums. Oh well.
    I wasn't taking a dig at you at all - I don't even know what you're referring to!
  • Options

MYM
    Swallowed Whole
    Let The Records Play

100% with you man, not sure of your age but I really think the older fans are loving it. Maybe because they have familes and feel more in touch with the lyrical content, if someone stuck this album on and I didn't know it was PJ I'd would be taking the piss out of it's cheese factor.
    I don't have a family and I love it (I'm 37 - does that make me an older fan?).
    Maybe a lot of people just have different tastes than you?
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,232
    great album

8.5/10

Future Days is a good song, just doesnt fit here and I think they could have ended the record more triumphantly a la Inside Job, ALL Those Yesterdays, Partying Ways . I dont mind SBM.

The rest is killer
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

MYM
    Swallowed Whole
    Let The Records Play

I don't have a family and I love it.

Of course this is all our own opinions thats why music is so amazing everyone here's something else. I'm not very mainstream when it comes to music PJ would be the most commercial band I follow the rest mostly are on indie lables or the amazing Irish music scene at the minute, there are so many good bands here that sometimes there is no need to look outside (not that I do) I;m always looking for new music.
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,497

MYM
    Swallowed Whole
    Let The Records Play

I'm actually one of the older, female, fans pushing 40. I love the angrier/grittier songs of the past. Although I did like Avocado a lot maybe because it was written during a more politically charged era.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I don't have a family and I love it.

Of course this is all our own opinions thats why music is so amazing everyone here's something else. I'm not very mainstream when it comes to music PJ would be the most commercial band I follow the rest mostly are on indie lables or the amazing Irish music scene at the minute, there are so many good bands here that sometimes there is no need to look outside (not that I do) I;m always looking for new music.
    I am pretty open minded when it comes to music styles. Mainstream if it's good, indie, whatever I like I like. I just don't think that this album falls into the Foo Fighter's category or anything, although I will agree that Sirens sounds pretty mainstream, and I didn't like it much when I first heard it, but somehow it did grow on me, and that actually happened against my will. :lol: I do not like SBM or Future Days much and wish they'd ended the album a lot better, but the rest I think is unique and aside from Sirens doesn't sound mainstream at all.... It's probably all about brain waves or something. ;)
  • Options
    100% with you man, not sure of your age but I really think the older fans are loving it. Maybe because they have familes and feel more in touch with the lyrical content, if someone stuck this album on and I didn't know it was PJ I'd would be taking the piss out of it's cheese factor.[/quote]

I'm actually one of the older, female, fans pushing 40. I love the angrier/grittier songs of the past. Although I did like Avocado a lot maybe because it was written during a more politically charged era.[/quote]

Yea I guess that's the way our brains our tuned we like our music on the raw side. I think they spent way too much time on LB on all aspects.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I really like it.

My least favorite songs are SBM (which I like more than the Uke version) & Future Days (could be b/c of the placement on the album) & I still like them. The rest of it is fantastic...esp Getaway, Infallible & Pendulum. Pendulum really stands out to me as my favorite song on the album.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com