Options

Lightning Bolt first reviews

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,334
    edited October 2013
    getaway 4/5...works better as an opener than i would have thought. lyrics are cool. music is cool. feel like it's a superior song to much of what they've done over the last few albums. great tune.

mym 3.5/5....took about 10 initial listens, but i've liked it ever since. like what they are saying with this one. angry pearl jam. i just don't like the ending live. i've said it before but ed doing that question and answer thing himself feels rushed.

mfs 4/5...really like this one. kinda reminds me of a police song from the early 80's. i like how ed sounds nuts. the music fits that mind set. jeff sounds as loud and good as he's sounded in years.

sirens 3/5.... emotional, ballady, stops just short of being overly cheesy for me....the gleason interview opened my eyes to this one and i like it more after seeing that. my wife and brother love this one.

lb 3.5/5....wish o'brien's twinkle wasn't sprinkled through this one. but i think it's a great rocker. love the ups and downs. love the big ending. i think this could work well as a single. before hearing the rest of the album it was my 2nd fav behind getaway, now it's like my 4th or 5th fav and that is a good sign....however i like the studio version better than the live version, not sure if that's a good sign or not. :?

infallible 4.5/5....fuck yes! weird pearl jam returns after over a decade! i love the strange arrangement. the lyrics are cool. stone's all over this one. ed sounds great. love the wailing towards the end. his voice really explored and filled the studio space!

pendulum 5/5....what i've been waiting for since the late 90's. this, along with the previous tune, is everything i love about pearl jam. deep lyrics, interesting music, ed sounding great, a weird arrangement. i love everything about this song from the cool intro, to the haunting vibe that permeates through the whole song, to the 'ah ah ah's" at the end. this could have been on no code. the mighty jack irons must have consulted on this one! sounds like an awesome opener.

swallowed whole 3/5....it's okay. nothing special. sounds very into the wildish. i also hear rem like i've seen people say. nothing really sticks out for me, which is frustrating because this is the one that always ends up being stuck in my head for some reason. :x

ltrp 1.5/5...shania twain meets bugs bunny meets zz top meets jeepers creepers and was supposed to meet up with DoTheEvoloution for beers but got lost on the way and then just eventually gave up looking. yuck. this one is a mess.

sbm 2/5...sounds better than i thought. i actually kinda like it but it is a weird fit on this album. this and future days should have been b sides. i appreciate a song like this at this point in my life a lot more than i would have 10+ years ago. just seems odd on this album.

yellow moon 4/5....continuing with infallible and pendulum this has that similiar atmospheric sound. the lyrics are cool. song sounds epic. to me this is way more pink floydish than what mike was going for on sirens. this is going to be awesome live. monster of a song.

future days 0/5....what the fuck? come on. how do you end, what i consider, their best album in YEARS with this one? it wreaks of brendon obrien's twinkles. i hated this in chicago and really don't think it sounds any better here. yellow moon should have closed it out. i actually feel bad for yellow moon that it has to be followed up by this nonsense. yellow moon is too good of a song to be bookended by sbm and fd and i hope it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

overall, i think this is their best effort in 13 years. best since binaural, a notch or two ahead of riot act and avocado. for a band that has been around 23 years, this is saying a lot. it's not a perfect album, most aren't. 8 songs i either like, really like or love, and 3 that i could do without.leaps and bounds better than backspacer. so gotta feel good that they have righted the ship so to speak.

also, i'm happy that there are no matt songs on here. i don't think it's a coincidence that i like this one better than anything they've done in over a decade and his influence is not as big as it was on the last few records. sorry matt lovers!

can't wait to hear them in a couple weeks.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    getaway 4/5...works better as an opener than i would have thought. lyrics are cool. music is cool. feel like it's a superior song to much of what they've done over the last few albums. great tune.

mym 3.5/5....took about 10 initial listens, but i've liked it ever since. like what they are saying with this one. angry pearl jam. i just don't like the ending live. i've said it before but ed doing that question and answer thing himself feels rushed.

mfs 4/5...really like this one. kinda reminds me of a police song from the early 80's. i like how ed sounds nuts. the music fits that mind set. jeff sounds as loud and good as he's sounded in years.

sirens 3/5.... emotional, ballady, stops just short of being overly cheesy for me....the gleason interview opened my eyes to this one and i like it more after seeing that. my wife and brother love this one.

lb 3.5/5....wish o'brien's twinkle wasn't sprinkled through this one. but i think it's a great rocker. love the ups and downs. love the big ending. i think this could work well as a single. before hearing the rest of the album it was my 2nd fav behind getaway, now it's like my 4th or 5th fav and that is a good sign....however i like the studio version better than the live version, not sure if that's a good sign or not. :?

infallible 4.5/5....fuck yes! weird pearl jam returns after over a decade! i love the strange arrangement. the lyrics are cool. stone's all over this one. ed sounds great. love the wailing towards the end. his voice really explored and filled the studio space!

pendulum 5/5....what i've been waiting for since the late 90's. this, along with the previous tune, is everything i love about pearl jam. deep lyrics, interesting music, ed sounding great, a weird arrangement. i love everything about this song from the cool intro, to the haunting vibe that permeates through the whole song, to the 'ah ah ah's" at the end. this could have been on no code. the mighty jack irons must have consulted on this one! sounds like an awesome opener.

swallowed whole 3/5....it's okay. nothing special. sounds very into the wildish. i also hear rem like i've seen people say. nothing really sticks out for me, which is frustrating because this is the one that always ends up being stuck in my head for some reason. :x

ltrp 1.5/5...shania twain meets bugs bunny meets zz top meets jeepers creepers and was supposed to meet up with DoTheEvoloution for beers but got lost on the way and then just eventually gave up looking. yuck. this one is a mess.

sbm 2/5...sounds better than i thought. i actually kinda like it but it is a weird fit on this album. this and future days should have been b sides. i appreciate a song like this at this point in my life a lot more than i would have 10+ years ago. just seems odd on this album.

yellow moon 4/5....continuing with infallible and pendulum this has that similiar atmospheric sound. the lyrics are cool. song sounds epic. to me this is way more pink floydish than what mike was going for on sirens. this is going to be awesome live. monster of a song.

future days 0/5....what the fuck? come on. how do you end, what i consider, their best album in YEARS with this one? it wreaks of brendon obrien's twinkles. i hated this in chicago and really don't think it sounds any better here. yellow moon should have closed it out. i actually feel bad for yellow moon that it has to be followed up by this nonsense. yellow moon is too good of a song to be bookended by sbm and fd and i hope it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

overall, i think this is their best effort in 13 years. best since binaural, a notch or two ahead of riot act and avocado. for a band that has been around 23 years, this is saying a lot. it's not a perfect album, most aren't. 8 songs i either like, really like or love, and 3 that i could do without.leaps and bounds better than backspacer. so gotta feel good that they have righted the ship so to speak.

can't wait to hear them in a couple weeks.

Agree with this. I may like LB and SWallowed Whole a bit more.

but future days is one that bugs me. Would've loved to end with Yellow moon and thrown Of the Earth in there somewhere.

Better Days would've been better.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i would give future days a headphone listen before you give it a zero! ... :lol:
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    i would give future days a headphone listen before you give it a zero! ... :lol:

haha

maybe a 1. maybe.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

haha

maybe a 1. maybe.
    Future Days is a zero.....
    Sleeping with an elf is a -5....

Our ships come in....
    And its sinking.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    polaris_x wrote:

haha

maybe a 1. maybe.

just give it a headphone listen ... ;)
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

haha

maybe a 1. maybe.

Our ships come in....
    And its sinking.....

i think i remember you saying you liked backspacer when that came out...no?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Our ships come in....
    And its sinking.....

Ummmm....
    I liked Unthought Known...
    Other than that I haven't listened to any of that album in YEARS.
    I think you have me mistaken for somebody else.
    ;)
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options

Our ships come in....
    And its sinking.....

Ummmm....
    ;)
    :lol: perhaps so. i liked it at first...no staying power at all though.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    Getaway 4/5
    MYM 4/5
    My father's son 4,5/5
    Sirens 3,5/5
    LB 3,5/5
    Infallible 5/5
    Pendulum 5/5
    SW 3,5/5
    LTRP 3,5/5
    YM 5/5

SBM and FD shouldn't be on that album as I told to another topic too. I think it's too bad that the closer of that wonderful album is FD. These are not PJ songs IMO and they ruined for me an otherwise amazing new album. But anyway , thank you PJ for the other 10 really great songs.
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,645
    The crazies really come out of the woodwork when you speak your mind. I had a poster on here (THEBIBLEISTEN) PM me to tell me to get off the forum and go to to NIN site. So that's it folks if you don't like something PJ do some posters round here don't want you about.
    Yeah, a lot of people complain about those who give bad reviews to PJ and say they create an air of negativity on the boards, but I feel that those who try and defend PJ against negative reviews are actually a bigger problem. :lol: Just ignore it - I think most people here are cool. I think there are just a few who get really really upset when people say negative things about something they love.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    mca47 wrote:
    I'm pleasantly surprised with it. I haven't really loved anything they've done since Avocado, that's just Backspacer and Ole, but I was starting to get worried. And I wasn't crazy about Mind Your Manners when I heard it, so I didn't listen to anymore until I could listen to the whole album. And I do like Mind Your Manners better within the tracklisting and not just as a single. The standout songs to me were "Getaway", "Pendulum", "Let The Records Play" and "Sleeping By Myself".
    Ole

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe
    I still wonder who's idea that one was.

"Um, hey guys...sooooo...I know we haven't played anything new in a while but I've got this great song I call Ole..." :lol::lol::lol:
    :lol::lol: It absolutely sounds like a song they made up as a joke while drunk and then took the joke too far.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    deftones wrote:
    Getaway 4/5
    MYM 4/5
    My father's son 4,5/5
    Sirens 3,5/5
    LB 3,5/5
    Infallible 5/5
    Pendulum 5/5
    SW 3,5/5
    LTRP 3,5/5
    YM 5/5

SBM and FD shouldn't be on that album as I told to another topic too. I think it's too bad that the closer of that wonderful album is FD. These are not PJ songs IMO and they ruined for me an otherwise amazing new album. But anyway , thank you PJ for the other 10 really great songs.

Agree totally about SBM and FD. I also give LB a 2.5 and LTRP a 4, otherwise I'm right with ya on this one.

I also think Sirens is only a step about SBM and FD on this album. It seems out of place to me....
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    The crazies really come out of the woodwork when you speak your mind. I had a poster on here (THEBIBLEISTEN) PM me to tell me to get off the forum and go to to NIN site. So that's it folks if you don't like something PJ do some posters round here don't want you about.
    Yeah, a lot of people complain about those who give bad reviews to PJ and say they create an air of negativity on the boards, but I feel that those who try and defend PJ against negative reviews are actually a bigger problem. :lol: Just ignore it - I think most people here are cool. I think there are just a few who get really really upset when people say negative things about something they love.

Totally agree with you PJ Soul.
  • Options
    Not huge on "Swallowed Whole," but that key change is pretty awesome. Takes the song from mediocre to pretty good. "Let The Records Play" sounds like such a throwaway. I wish it was "1/2 Full." Instead, it's like "1/2 Full" maded with "Supersonic."
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

haha

maybe a 1. maybe.
    I think the whole body of the song is nice.... It shouldn't be on this album along with SBM, and they should have cut the outro completely (I remember at Wrigley that even Ed seemed to be unsure of what to do once he was done singing and the keyboards kept tinkling away for a weird amount of time). But wow! A 0 or 1! That is tough. :lol: I don't think either are BAD songs, they just sound out of place.
  • Options

Ummmm....
    ;)
    :lol: perhaps so. i liked it at first...no staying power at all though.
    I have decided that I am never going to listen to Backspacer again. I would just get rid of the vinyl, but it would leave a gap in my PJ collection. :lol:
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    I wrote a review for Examiner, more geared toward the casual reader, but some of you folks may enjoy it

http://www.examiner.com/review/review-p ... ht?cid=rss
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    I wrote a review for Examiner, more geared toward the casual reader, but some of you folks may enjoy it

http://www.examiner.com/review/review-p ... ht?cid=rss
    Good work
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    WhywhyzedWhywhyzed Posts: 270
    No longer a first review... but holy shit this thing is growing on me like mad.

I'm not sure there's anything I really dislike (maybe the mood shifts / chorus on LTRP, maybe - love the deep country parts and the jangley guitar, wow).
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    Take back everything I said about the album after two listens....

This album is amazing!!!!

The first half of the album to Lightening Bolt is vintage Pearl Jam goodness. Sirens....So damn emotional.

Can't wait for what the year has left for the fellas!
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    joebotjoebot Posts: 372
    Its pretty good for a Pj record, which makes it great by many other bands standards.
    Production too glossy and track listing a lil befuddling .
    Love: Getaway, infallible,pendulum,sirens, and yellow moon.
    Like: MYM, Swallowed whole.
    The others are the very meaning of b sides and I absolutely hate the reworked SBM.
    Would of preferred of the earth on there somewhere.
    3 *** out of 5.
  • Options
    I LOVE IT!! PJ has never let me down. Granted, I have songs that don't really do it for me (Last Kiss) but I have to say this could be one of my top 3 favorite albums from THE GREAT AND POWERFUL PJ. Thank you PJ for being your creative selves and leaving the haters and skeptics to their own devises. As a PJ fan I have soaked in every song and album and have grasped on to every creative curve they have paved. Yes there has been a bump or two in the road but that is what makes PJ the NEW Led Zeppelin, or WHO. What is interesting is that when those two bands where making music and Album after Album they lost some of there fans as well BUT, thirty years latter those fans are crasping on to every recording and Album as if to say they have always loved them and now they wish they record something new. PEOPLE!!! this is the creative process at it's peak. There is no other band out there that puts together an Album the way Pearl Jam does. Too have so many creative hands in the pot is just so refreshing. I don't want TEN again or Vitalogy. I want the creative strike that Pearl Jam has no problem handing out every time this band gets together. This is what we got this time Folks. Don't just hear it. LISTEN to it.
    myspace.com/patricksmark
  • Options
    Just downloaded Lightning Bolt in lossless format from 10C pre-order. Been listening to this great album over and over again. I like it so much!
    Still waiting for the CD, though
    Greeting from Jakarta, Indonesia :D
    Dear Pearl Jam, please come & play Jakarta, Indonesia
  • Options
    Brane_of_JFKBrane_of_JFK Maryland Posts: 1,900
    Listened to the album 3x through already, and I have to say, even as a die-hard fan, I am completely disappointed. Outside of Getaway, Mind Your Manners and possibly My Father's Son, the rest of the album is incredibly mellow and, IMO, boring.

The entire album sounds wayyyyy to 'POP' for my taste. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind in the future, but I feel that this is by far their weakest album...
  • Options
    Listened to the album 3x through already, and I have to say, even as a die-hard fan, I am completely disappointed. Outside of Getaway, Mind Your Manners and possibly My Father's Son, the rest of the album is incredibly mellow and, IMO, boring.

The entire album sounds wayyyyy to 'POP' for my taste. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind in the future, but I feel that this is by far their weakest album...
    I already know a lot of people with basically the same initial reaction who have completely changed their minds after a little while. ;)
  • Options
    Brane_of_JFKBrane_of_JFK Maryland Posts: 1,900
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I already know a lot of people with basically the same initial reaction who have completely changed their minds after a little while. ;)
    I hope I become one of them, I'll def give it some time.
  • Options
    Absolutely loving this album!! I've listened to it non-stop since it was streamning last week (at work, at home, at the gym). Now that I have the disc, I've added to car listening to the list. Love having the lyrics and have throughly enjoyed sitting down at home with the headphones on absorbed in the new music with liner notes in hand.

For me the only weak link on this album is LTRP. If I had to pic favorites, I am loving Getway, Lighting Bolt and I love the Infalable, Pendulum, Swallowed Whole trifecta.

As for mixed reviews - who cares. It's all subjective anyway. If the music hits you, that's all that matters.

And I don't get all the hate for Future Days. This is a beautiful song.
  • Options
    jtr101jtr101 Posts: 270
    Absolutely loving this album!! I've listened to it non-stop since it was streamning last week (at work, at home, at the gym). Now that I have the disc, I've added to car listening to the list. Love having the lyrics and have throughly enjoyed sitting down at home with the headphones on absorbed in the new music with liner notes in hand.

For me the only weak link on this album is LTRP. If I had to pic favorites, I am loving Getway, Lighting Bolt and I love the Infalable, Pendulum, Swallowed Whole trifecta.

As for mixed reviews - who cares. It's all subjective anyway. If the music hits you, that's all that matters.

I think the hate for Future Days comes from the fact that it essentially Ed And BoB on his casio keyboard and not a whole band effort. I think the song would have been better if it was just a solo acoustic guitar, the keys make it extra cheesy.
    Enjoy difference. Without it we're all boring!

• Options
    jtr101 wrote:

I think the hate for Future Days comes from the fact that it essentially Ed And BoB on his casio keyboard and not a whole band effort. I think the song would have been better if it was just a solo acoustic guitar, the keys make it extra cheesy.
    They just should have used a real piano. If they had, it would be a WAY better song.