*** LONDON, ONTARIO Fanviews Here 7/16/13 ***

Comments

• lpeddlelpeddle Posts: 293
    sward wrote:
    Finally back to reality. Here's a nice long post to waste some time on!

When I left for London on Monday morning, this was to be my turning 40 birthday gift (turned in June). I told my wife as I was leaving that I was looking forward to it, but hey..I'm 40 now..maybe I'm too old to be chasing around this band I love. Part of that was missing my two kids, who both are at the age where they miss daddy even before he steps out the door. So...on I went to the airport. Excited but tempered. Just glad I could get away to see the band since I only usually get to one (or two) shows per tour.

My chum and I arrive in London and check in to the Delta. Not too many people milling about at this point so decide to head down Dundas Street and see what London has to offer. Its a city the same size as Halifax, so my presumption was that we'd have similar vibe and feel. Well no...no it did not. I know as a university town, the summer is likely a little less active but we were very surprised at the lack of people and activity in the city. In Halifax, no matter the temperature, people fill the park areas throwing frisbees, running, reading...just a lot of activity in general. The city lacked a lot of the general vibe and character of Halifax. Just an observation as I know I had very little time to get the true feel I guess. So to that end..we made Monday night an early to bed and prepped for Tuesday.

We wake up and had plans to do a workout and then head on a stroll to find this bakery tucked away a couple of miles walk. Just a good way to see some more city. Definitely was a better experience. Still no one using the massive area of parks we saw, but was a nice walk through the areas where people live. The true fun started before this however. We head to the gym. I run alongside my bro in law and in walks this scruffy guy in a hoodie, hat and large earphones. I nod to him and remark to my bro in law that the dude looks like Eddie Vedder. Not him..but looks like him. He has a grey hoodie on with a lightning bolt and shorts with pearl jam crest on them. Have never seen them for sale. Cool shorts. Roadie likely. I decide to head to the pool while my bro in law continues his run.

At the pool..in walks Chris Chelios. Just me in the pool, he climbs in and says hi. So I introduce myself and point out to him that he is Chris Chelios, which he confirms ;-) ...We had a great chat about Halifax and how much he likes the city...how he was there for the show with Ed and had high hopes for how special Wrigley was going to be. Special spot for him and for Ed. As he was leaving I said "Well..tell Ed I am really looking forward to tonight and have a great show"...so Chelios says that he would and in fact would be in about a minute as he was meeting him at the sauna. Pretty sure that was my invite..but I decided I should just stay put for a couple of beats til I tell my bro in law how i just swam with.

So..I run down..tell my bro in law...he says..yeah..chelios just came in here and talked to the guy beside him on the elliptical..the scruffy roadie. So...ol cpt obvious hits me and I think again..wow..he does look like Ed. Sure enough..the guy gets off the elliptical....I look at him and nod a hi (in a friendly, see a stranger way..as I still really had no idea for sure)..and he nods back, smiles and gives a wave. Yup. Eddie Vedder. On an elliptical. He still has his headphones on..loud..so Im not seeing an invitation there to hang out and chat. But he heads over to do some weights..and well..I hopped onto the elliptical...just because. Then he went to a small gym next door to the room and shot some hoops. I had been there earlier doing the same..and really wanted to ask to shoot a few with him..but again..headphones on...loud..it didn't feel right. Still an awesome experience.

Oh yeah..the show???? Well..after a day of hanging out with fellow PJ fans..enjoying the beer..the activity...this guy who decided he was 40 and maybe needed to act my age a bit...Sang and danced along to what to me was the perfect setlist. The crowd was amazing, the setlist was spot on in pacing for what I wanted to experience and every single person we met that day added a building block to build the perfect day for me. We met a great couple from Rochester NY, who were seeing their first show after many years of being fans. I hope you had the same experience we did. And then met up with an awesome father and daughter who were in from New Hampshire. Hope the same for you and enjoy Wrigley. Scattered in there were a tonne of other fans from pretty well every state and province that we chatted with and shared lots of high fives and laughs. Awesome people all of you. (And yes I told the swim with Chelios and work out with (well..alongside) Eddie story every chance I could.

Enjoy the fall tour folks (and Wrigley of course). Just remember, you are never too old ;-)

Wow!! What a great story! Thanks for sharing :)
  • pearljamdude420pearljamdude420 Posts: 1,380
    I wanted to go to this show badly but didn't win lotto tickets so I did not end up going

but there was no opening band right? pj played 30 songs? how long did they play in real time like 2 and half hours or so with about that many songs I guessing? at first I was thinking no opening band they would play atleast close to 40 songs, like some of the other times I have seen them like in state college , and then Mansfield 03 when they had a acoustic set to start too on the 3rd night when it was separate from the first 2. I thought this would of been some crazy long show, but they play 2 and half hour ish? maybe Chicago will be longer, I thought for sure they play at least 3 or 3 and half hours. I was thinking they go on stage 8pm and nd at 1130pm with no opening band, but that good now im not so pissed I lost on the London lotto :lol:
  • pearljamdude420pearljamdude420 Posts: 1,380
    parachutes, sad and alone are the 3 rare songs in this setlist, I been to nearly 40 shows, only seen those played 2x,1x,1x
  • SG150016SG150016 Posts: 1
    While there's really no such thing as a bad PJ show, my wife and I were *really* hoping they would not close with Yellow Ledbetter or Baba O'riley... they've closed with those at almost all the shows we've seen in the past. While PJ do an amazing job at these songs, it's nice to see something different.

Speaking of different, Indifference made the night for my wife (she has been waiting for that one to be played for years). I could have not predicted that closer and it was probably my favorite out of the 10 or so PJ shows I've been to.

On top of that, Present Tense to start was frickin amazing! The acoustic set was something different and also great.

Overall, amazing show!
  • deweildeweil Posts: 245
    It was an Iggy and the Stooges shirt![/quote]

Thanks! The one I got was a NY Dolls shirt!
    PS - If anyone ever sees Mike in a blue T shirt with a pix of Bowie smoking...that'd be mine :)
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Never in a million years did I think I'd hear Sad followed by Alone. 2 of my favorites that aren't played that often. I don't know what I can say that hasn't been said. It was a good show. They still have 'it', and somehow, I get this sense that they want to take everything to a new higher level. People have mentioned a few small mistakes, but I thought they played tight. Sometimes they make me think of a machine. Their live instrumentation is like a train that never fails, and never goes off track. The few verbal flubs aren't of any significance - it just makes things more interesting.

What was funny was we were listening to a boot on the way that ended with Indifference (Hartford 10) and I'd been hoping for that, though I'm kind of past hoping for songs - I just enjoy whatever comes. I think it is good to shake it up a bit and not end with YL for a while.

I liked the new setup with the bird and the glowing globes. Almost liked it too much! I like patterns so I'd find myself staring at it instead of the band sometimes.

One bittersweet thing - I've been going to PJ shows with my daughter since she was 8. She has always been my PJ 'plus one'. She is now 19, and going into her second year of college. She is growing up. The times that we will be able to go to shows together is winding down, as her life moves in her own direction. She loves PJ too, but as she grows up, gets work (she is actually majoring to be an opera singer and studying music education), lives elsewhere, we probably won't get to go together too many more times. You know how I can tell she is growing up? I asked her if she'd wear her matching band shirt with me and she didn't even roll her eyes at me! But we have so many happy memories - it has kept us close and kept the lines of communication open at times when relationships with young teenagers can be challenging. We always had/have Pearl Jam.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • ladydocNYCladydocNYC Posts: 635
    sward wrote:
    in walks this scruffy guy in a hoodie, hat and large earphones. I nod to him and remark to my bro in law that the dude looks like Eddie Vedder. Not him..but looks like him. Roadie likely.

So funny! The one time I ran into Ed was also in a gym and my first thought too was, who is that guy? he looks like he's with the band, probably a roadie!

Glad to hear your story. In my mid-40s, my trip to London was also a re-affirmation that I'm not too old for this. :D
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    That was an amazing read, sward. Many thanks for sharing!
  • Catwoman1Catwoman1 Posts: 482
    sward wrote:

When I left for London on Monday morning, this was to be my turning 40 birthday gift (turned in June). I told my wife as I was leaving that I was looking forward to it, but hey..I'm 40 now..maybe I'm too old to be chasing around this band I love. Part of that was missing my two kids, who both are at the age where they miss daddy even before he steps out the door. So...on I went to the airport. Excited but tempered. Just glad I could get away to see the band since I only usually get to one (or two) shows per tour.

My chum and I arrive in London and check in to the Delta. Not too many people milling about at this point so decide to head down Dundas Street and see what London has to offer. Its a city the same size as Halifax, so my presumption was that we'd have similar vibe and feel. Well no...no it did not. I know as a university town, the summer is likely a little less active but we were very surprised at the lack of people and activity in the city. In Halifax, no matter the temperature, people fill the park areas throwing frisbees, running, reading...just a lot of activity in general. The city lacked a lot of the general vibe and character of Halifax. Just an observation as I know I had very little time to get the true feel I guess. So to that end..we made Monday night an early to bed and prepped for Tuesday.

We wake up and had plans to do a workout and then head on a stroll to find this bakery tucked away a couple of miles walk. Just a good way to see some more city. Definitely was a better experience. Still no one using the massive area of parks we saw, but was a nice walk through the areas where people live. The true fun started before this however. We head to the gym. I run alongside my bro in law and in walks this scruffy guy in a hoodie, hat and large earphones. I nod to him and remark to my bro in law that the dude looks like Eddie Vedder. Not him..but looks like him. He has a grey hoodie on with a lightning bolt and shorts with pearl jam crest on them. Have never seen them for sale. Cool shorts. Roadie likely. I decide to head to the pool while my bro in law continues his run.

At the pool..in walks Chris Chelios. Just me in the pool, he climbs in and says hi. So I introduce myself and point out to him that he is Chris Chelios, which he confirms ;-) ...We had a great chat about Halifax and how much he likes the city...how he was there for the show with Ed and had high hopes for how special Wrigley was going to be. Special spot for him and for Ed. As he was leaving I said "Well..tell Ed I am really looking forward to tonight and have a great show"...so Chelios says that he would and in fact would be in about a minute as he was meeting him at the sauna. Pretty sure that was my invite..but I decided I should just stay put for a couple of beats til I tell my bro in law how i just swam with.

So..I run down..tell my bro in law...he says..yeah..chelios just came in here and talked to the guy beside him on the elliptical..the scruffy roadie. So...ol cpt obvious hits me and I think again..wow..he does look like Ed. Sure enough..the guy gets off the elliptical....I look at him and nod a hi (in a friendly, see a stranger way..as I still really had no idea for sure)..and he nods back, smiles and gives a wave. Yup. Eddie Vedder. On an elliptical. He still has his headphones on..loud..so Im not seeing an invitation there to hang out and chat. But he heads over to do some weights..and well..I hopped onto the elliptical...just because. Then he went to a small gym next door to the room and shot some hoops. I had been there earlier doing the same..and really wanted to ask to shoot a few with him..but again..headphones on...loud..it didn't feel right. Still an awesome experience.

Oh yeah..the show???? Well..after a day of hanging out with fellow PJ fans..enjoying the beer..the activity...this guy who decided he was 40 and maybe needed to act my age a bit...Sang and danced along to what to me was the perfect setlist. The crowd was amazing, the setlist was spot on in pacing for what I wanted to experience and every single person we met that day added a building block to build the perfect day for me. We met a great couple from Rochester NY, who were seeing their first show after many years of being fans. I hope you had the same experience we did. And then met up with an awesome father and daughter who were in from New Hampshire. Hope the same for you and enjoy Wrigley. Scattered in there were a tonne of other fans from pretty well every state and province that we chatted with and shared lots of high fives and laughs. Awesome people all of you. (And yes I told the swim with Chelios and work out with (well..alongside) Eddie story every chance I could.

Enjoy the fall tour folks (and Wrigley of course). Just remember, you are never too old ;-)

Hi sward,

My daughter & I were the ones talking to you in the airport while waiting for the flight from London to Toronto. First of all, I never would have guessed that you were 40. You look more like early 30's. And if I'm not too old to be chasing this band and rocking out at the concert, then you're definitely not too old!

I've been telling your story to everyone who asks me about the concert. So cool! And I think it was really cool that you respected Eddie's space, and just let him be another guy at the gym. With nice people like you, no wonder this band appreciates their fans!
    You can't be neutral on a moving train.
  • Catwoman1Catwoman1 Posts: 482
    What time did they take the stage?

I don't see that anyone answered you, so I will. It was about 8:00.
    You can't be neutral on a moving train.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Catwoman1 wrote:
    What time did they take the stage?

I don't see that anyone answered you, so I will. It was about 8:00.

I will second the unanswered question, between 8 and 8:05
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • swardsward Posts: 586
    Catwoman1 wrote:
    sward wrote:

Hi sward,

My daughter & I were the ones talking to you in the airport while waiting for the flight from London to Toronto. First of all, I never would have guessed that you were 40. You look more like early 30's. And if I'm not too old to be chasing this band and rocking out at the concert, then you're definitely not too old!

I've been telling your story to everyone who asks me about the concert. So cool! And I think it was really cool that you respected Eddie's space, and just let him be another guy at the gym. With nice people like you, no wonder this band appreciates their fans!

Hey was great talking to you and your daughter. Love it that you share this together! And thanks for the early thirty remark, it's the Halifax fresh air ;-). Also means I can have another 40th tour event in a few years? Haha

Enjoy your fall shows!
  • rlyn4007rlyn4007 Posts: 3
    sward wrote:

I was your age when I became a PJ fan in the 90's....and still going strong! Never too old!
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    I am still picking up the pieces of my mind...totally blown everywhere...AWESOME EXPERIENCE...I think I posted my original review in the wrong place...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=212120
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • szbobcat21szbobcat21 Posts: 14
    what was the show time on the ticket and at what time did PJ actually take the stage?
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,687
    7:30 on the ticket and was 8:00 when they took the stage
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • NG24788NG24788 Posts: 23
    Here is a link to my brother, John Patrick Gatta's photo gallery of London show from relix.com

http://www.relix.com/blogs/picks-and-pa ... -a-gallery

I thought it was a GREAT show.

So glad to get 2nd chance tickets.
  • One of the best shows I've been to. Played Man of the Hour, my brother and I have been waiting for years to see it live. Seems the band keeps getting better and better. Crowd was friggin great too.
    One of the best shows I've been to. Played Man of the Hour, my brother and I have been waiting for years to see it live. Seems the band keeps getting better and better. Crowd was friggin great too.

was a great show :D
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • Saw my first PJ show in London, took a few days and flew out from the West. Had a fabulous time, met great people and will definitely be back. Thanks Sea for posting. What's this about Wrigley having weather issues?
  • jmacdjmacd Posts: 145
    thanks, those are great!!! too bad London free press didn't use a few of these ones.
    NG24788 wrote:
    Here is a link to my brother, John Patrick Gatta's photo gallery of London show from relix.com

http://www.relix.com/blogs/picks-and-pa ... -a-gallery

I thought it was a GREAT show.

So glad to get 2nd chance tickets.
    toronto '92 X 2, toronto '93, hamilton '05, toronto 1 '06, toronto '09, buffalo '10, london '13, buffalo '13
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmGROC6UNo8

just watching this

what a great opener :D
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    smarchee wrote:

Thanks for the vid.......god that brings back the memories.......so much fun that night :D
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
    Just watched Present Tense on youtube..I thought that was a great opener that night...just awesome
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    BLACK35 wrote:
    One of the best shows I've been to. Played Man of the Hour, my brother and I have been waiting for years to see it live. Seems the band keeps getting better and better. Crowd was friggin great too.

was a great show :D
    i think it was the best show i've been to, i keep reliving the show through youtube :D

dundas hookers on crack :lol:
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • drew76drew76 Posts: 18
    What a great show!! Ed's voice was great,sounded better than in recent years. Just watching some of the youtube vids you can really tell the whole band was really into it. 1st time live for me was: Alone, In hiding, Last exit, Smile, as well as Parachutes and Man of the Hour although I don't really care for those two. Mike just keeps getting better. Can someone confirm that there will be an official boot released?
    Cheers
    Toronto - 05
    Toronto1- 06
    Toronto - 09
    Toronto1,2 -11
    Hamilton -11
    London -13
    Philly1,2 -13
    Toronto 1,2 - 16
    Hamilton - 22
    Toronto - 22
  • GustieIIIGustieIII Posts: 231
    Where do I start?
    Feel kinda bad for not making it to Friday Night Lights for Wishlist Raffle, had PM'd an LP to donate... :cry: But after picking up tickets and merch, my wife and I had to check into our hotel and cab it back downtown. Met really cool people anywhere we went, long lines make quick friends ;)
    The show? Fk'n DESTROYED me! It's taken 'till now to fully recuperate. I felt really blessed to score last chance tickets and I gotta say the night was unforgettable. My wife has always known and acknowledged my fandom, maybe not shared completely in it, but has gone to every show and will sing along with most of what's played.
    So here we go, the reason I've felt compelled to post.
    The sit down acoustic portion of the night? Started with Parachutes, an absolutely AMAZING song I never thought I'd hear,following into Man of the Hour. As the first few notes played I leaned into my wife and said " oh my god this song makes me think of my Dad" she didn't really recognize the song as it was a single and not played as much around the house...
    (My Dad's been living with prostate cancer, as a lot of Men over 60 do).
    Guys I bawled, straight up cried like a baby and couldn't recover until the song was done. Just trying to explain what the song meant and meant to me was too much.Can't say I've ever done that before. By the time Difference played I was spent, I slept like a baby that night.Despite the drive (4+hours on the 401) and having to work the rest of the week, I can't imagine anything better.
    Really hope there's some kind of An Evening with Pearl Jam BluRay with stuff grabbed from both London and Chicago 'cause I want to keep reliving that night again and again.
    Like A Fist To The Jaw
  • rssesqrssesq Posts: 3,299
    wow..

and london calling?

oh man..wrigley gonna be..

Wrigley was alotta fun and interesting and Chicago is a GREAT city but
    London was the show.
  • BL446BL446 Posts: 63
    rssesq wrote:
    wow..

and london calling?

oh man..wrigley gonna be..