*** LONDON, ONTARIO Fanviews Here 7/16/13 ***

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,249
    It was good not great IMHO .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • PorchgirlCOPorchgirlCO Posts: 1,375
    Anyone notice they played 9 of Theo's favorites last night? Maybe we will get some repeats in Chicago...would love In Hiding, Smile, Sad and/or Alone again!! But, of course, will love ANYTHING they'll play...can't wait!
    :D:D
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...

Orlando 4/24/92 & 8/23/92, Miami 3/28/94, Ft Laud 10/7/96, Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Missoula 9/30/12, EV Jax 11/24/12 & 11/25/12, Chicago (Wrigley) 7/19/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Tulsa 10/8/14, Lincoln 10/9/14, Denver 10/22/14, Jacksonville 4/12/16, Greenville 4/16/16, Telluride 7/9/16, Boston (Fenway) 8/5/16 & 8/7/16, Seattle (Safeco) 8/10/18, Boston (Fenway) 9/2/18 & 9/4/18, Dana Point 10/1/21 & 10/2/21, MSG 9/11/22, Denver 9/22/22, Austin 9/18/23 & 9/19/23.
  • otto48313otto48313 Posts: 50
    Sorry for posting, as I didn't attend, but speaking of Crackheads, Ed, I miss the Bob Probert vs. Tie Domi brawls.

excellent point.

Otto in Detroit
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539

shhhhhhhh

it was ok, they were pretty sloppy and the crowd was a little meh, especially at the beginning

carry on
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    Never been happier! Scored 2nd row dead center last night!! :D Seeing them at Wrigley from the top will be such a different experience, I am so looking forward to it! The combination of these two shows will be something I look back on with extreme fondness. One of the best things about winning last night was being able to share it with my best friend and fellow PJ crazy, Cinnamon Girl! It's a hometown show for her so being able to share 2nd row with her made it that much more emotional :) I Love This Band!!! :thumbup:
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    smarchee wrote:

shhhhhhhh

it was ok, they were pretty sloppy and the crowd was a little meh, especially at the beginning

carry on
    It was a lot different from 2nd row ;)
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
    Never been happier! Scored 2nd row dead center last night!! :D Seeing them at Wrigley from the top will be such a different experience, I am so looking forward to it! The combination of these two shows will be something I look back on with extreme fondness. One of the best things about winning last night was being able to share it with my best friend and fellow PJ crazy, Cinnamon Girl! It's a hometown show for her so being able to share 2nd row with her made it that much more emotional :) I Love This Band!!! :thumbup:

congrats to you on your lottery score, and showing Cinnamon Girl a good time :D
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    smarchee wrote:

shhhhhhhh

carry on

:twisted: :twisted:

hehe
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • ladydocNYCladydocNYC Posts: 635
    McNairn wrote:
    1. Parachutes - they nailed it

Parachutes was great, it's one of my favorite songs and I'm beyond ecstatic to have heard it again, but Ed did not entirely nail it. He sounded beautiful, but he had a lyric sheet and he still fucked up the beginning of the second verse. I'm just saying.

[Editing just to clarify: the lyric is "heaven knows if there's a ceiling, come so low with the kneeling". He sang "come so low with the ceiling," as the first line of the verse, realized he fucked up, mumbled something and picked up again on "--oow with the kneeling." I happen to sing this song to my daughter frequently with the album track playing in the background and if you know the lyrics well it was kind of jarring even though he recovered quickly.]
  • lpeddlelpeddle Posts: 293
    Amazing show, even from up in the 300s! Great set list too - they played so many of my favourites! I still can't believe they played Man of the Hour. Almost had me in tears!

Buffalo can't come quickly enough!!!!
  • IcemanDorvalIcemanDorval Posts: 456
    Great show and great setlist.

I really enjoyed the Present tense - Nothingman combo. Sad and Alone were great. In Hiding-Lukin-Not for you-Black-Porch was a monster sequence as good as it could be.

First encore was more quiet and featured great renditions of Parachutes and Man of the hour. The rest of the encore was more so-so as far as I am concerned.

The second encore then made it an Instant Classic. Smile and Brain of J were more unexpected at this point in the show which is a great surprise. Indifference concluded perfectly the evening.

Great crowd!!

I was way up in the 300's and would have pushed the volume a little higher if I could've.
  • The 6 hour drive was worth it just to hear In Hiding again.

Present Tense as an opener with just Mike and Ed at centre stage to start the song was outstanding. Ed was stoked and very demonstrative from the get-go. Even though we wish for a rarities-filled set, hearing the entire crowd sing Small Town, Black, Even Flow, etc at the top of their lungs is incredible...never gets old.

To me, it seemed like the band abandoned the re-worked version of Daughter half-way through because the crowd kept singing the verses like the old version. The band was giving each other looks as if to say: oh well, I guess we'll go back to playing it the old way!

The screens are cool. They are HD and placed very high up to cater more to the fans in the upper sections and as not to distract the fans on the floor. You could tell it was the first night with the new lighting setup; the crew wasn't always in sync with the song. But don't get me wrong, the new lighting is awesome. Those light bulbs are a nice touch; I expected them to play Low Light whenever they lowered them before a song. The centre light bulb has a looped strap on it about 4 feet up so that Ed can easily hang on to it.

All in all, great fucking show! My voice is still shot.
    2005 - Montreal, Ottawa / 2011 Montreal, Toronto 1, Ottawa / 2013 London, Calgary, Vancouver
    ladydocNYC wrote:
    McNairn wrote:
    1. Parachutes - they nailed it

Parachutes was great, it's one of my favorite songs and I'm beyond ecstatic to have heard it again, but Ed did not entirely nail it. He sounded beautiful, but he had a lyric sheet and he still fucked up the beginning of the second verse. I'm just saying.

[Editing just to clarify: the lyric is "heaven knows if there's a ceiling, come so low with the kneeling". He sang "come so low with the ceiling," as the first line of the verse, realized he fucked up, mumbled something and picked up again on "--oow with the kneeling." I happen to sing this song to my daughter frequently with the album track playing in the background and if you know the lyrics well it was kind of jarring even though he recovered quickly.]

I will back you up, he did fuck it up
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • TresentPenseTresentPense New York City Posts: 551
    Hopped Up wrote:
    foodboy wrote:
    yes great performance. yes different lighting. but a lot of hype for "an evening with pearl jam" that was a regular show. with the title and the fact it was mostly attended by fan club members this to me was an opportunity to play lots of songs rarely played and to truly make it an epic evening and one for the books. would have been cool if they came out and said "we're going to make this a special one tonight, we have a lot of surprises in store for you" . then proceeded to play riot act cover to cover, or no code,or any other album, then proceed to play a bunch of rarities and a few regulars and that to me would have been "an evening with pearl jam". ed's vocals were spot on. he was in great form . the show as i said was a great performance and true gems were alone and parachutes. but it didn't live up to the hype.

They played Present Tense as an opener for the first time I can recall, followed by early Nothingman, Brain of J in the 2nd encore, 30 songs for not having played a show in a few months. New variations on Daughter and Corduroy. Honestly, what are you expecting? Them to do a show like they've never done before (playing an album in its entirety, mostly rarities, etc)? Given the layoff, I think the setlist looks very interesting for a show, even one billed as An Evening With. 30 songs for a more than month layoff has to be close to their max if I can recall. Were the band the ones hyping it or is it folks on here coming up with dream setlists and possibilities what you mean by "hype"? From the bits of video I've seen the band seemed really on last night which is what makes for a good show, especially the first one after a long period with no live shows. To expect 10 Lost Dogs tracks, all deep cuts or a completely oddball show is always a fun fantasy, but never going to be a reality.

Atlantic City '05 (can't recall if it was night one or two) had PT as an opener. That's the only other time I recall seeing it on a setlist...
    '98: 8/22
    '00: 8/23 8/24 8/25
    '03: 4/30 7/2 7/3 7/8 7/9 7/11
    '04: 10/1
    '06: 5/13 5/27 5/28 6/1 6/3
    '08: 6/24 6/25 6/27 6/28 7/1
    '09: 10/30 10/31
    '10: 5/15 5/18 5/20 5/21 6/25
    '11: 9/3 9/4
    '12: 9/2 9/22
    '13: 7/19 10/18 10/19 10/21 10/22 11/23 11/24
    '14: 10/19
    '15: 9/26
    '16: 4/8 4/9 4/11 4/28 4/29 5/1 5/2 8/5 8/7
    '17: RNRHOF 4/17
    '18: 9/2 9/4
    '21: 9/18
  • Honestly i'll never go see another band. The energy, set, crowd, ambiance was something that I hoped for! And I got it! I wanted to see them do an acoustic set and it was more than that! 42 years old and I never felt an emotion ride during a concert like I felt last night! Still feeling it! UNbeleivable! Wrigley get ready your PJ is coming to kick ass!
    xhabzy
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    wow..

and london calling?

oh man..wrigley gonna be..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • McNairnMcNairn Posts: 284
    OK Parachutes was not technically "nailed" due to the small lyrical flub, HOWEVER the other 99.5 percent of the song was nailed and the signing throughout was dynamic and spot on so all in all I say they nailed it. Is it what my arborist friend would call a "specimen tree"? Maybe not but it was so fucking good and sweet and lovely.
    Also, they were sloppy at times and and ed is his mystifiable self as there are great and pure moments of singing excellence unparalled in musuc punctuated by the occasional off kilter scream or falsetto. Just when you think he has lost his voice in a song the next one is perfect and mayeven be more vocally challenging. I really do think he may be human (part human at least).
    Drink more wine and smoke more cigarettes.
  • RVMMFCRVMMFC Posts: 435
    smarchee wrote:
    shortstack wrote:
    smarchee wrote:
    anyone else think the bird's nest over the stage looked like the underbelly of the Concord? Remember that sometimes the nose of it stuck out when it landed I think, and there was that shape at the top of the triangle of the bird's nest?

well, maybe I was a little high, but that's what I saw :D

like this:

concorde_48.jpg

i couldn't figure it out, but from my point of view it made me think of the garbage pile in the ocean :?

yeah, that could be along the lines of inspiration for it, with Stone's environmental interests

There also seemed to be old arms and stuff in there...barrels from guns, grenade parts that kinda thing
    " I said there's nothing wrong with what you say. Believe me just asking you to sway. No white or black just grey. Can you feel this world with your heart and not your brain?"
  • JWFJWF Posts: 1
    Amazing view of the show! (loving the "Limited view" "possibly obstructed seats"....obstructed by the band, dam!)
    Pure inspiration,

Spirit took form, Eddie lifted the place up!
    Thanks Guys, for the perfect evening!
  • smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    JWF wrote:
    Amazing view of the show! (loving the "Limited view" "possibly obstructed seats"....obstructed by the band, dam!)
    Pure inspiration,

Spirit took form, Eddie lifted the place up!
    Thanks Guys, for the perfect evening!
    Honestly i'll never go see another band. The energy, set, crowd, ambiance was something that I hoped for! And I got it! I wanted to see them do an acoustic set and it was more than that! 42 years old and I never felt an emotion ride during a concert like I felt last night! Still feeling it! UNbeleivable! Wrigley get ready your PJ is coming to kick ass!

Nice first posts! Welcome and maybe post more often! We always welcome positive people who love discussing music!
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    Great start to what is going to be an awesome year!
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • rssesqrssesq Posts: 3,299
    I didnt even know they had video monitors. I guess that is what happens when your front row center. ;)

Leaving MSU right now for Chicago. I hope I dont pass out in the merch line in a few hours. Its hott as shit out here.
    Safe travels travelers.

8-)
  • I loved Last Exit, Brain of J, and In Hiding. Parachutes, Man of the Hour and Present Tense were great as well.I took a first timer to the show and now he has borrowed half of my PJ CD collection! I think he's hooked. Eddie seemed pumped and the band was pretty tight for he first live show in a while. Daughter was a mess but I didn't care because it gets played almost every show. :thumbup: I thought the crowd was good, but we needed to make more noise for the encores, I think everyone is just expecting them to come out for 2 encores every show. Show them you really want it, sitting there quietly doesn't show them you want more!
    Toronto 06-28-2003
    09-19-2005
    05-09-2006
    09-11-2011
    London 07-16-2013
    Ottawa 05-08-2016
    record.gif
  • What time did they take the stage?
  • kwdaleykwdaley Posts: 499
    Honestly... A night of Singalongs and Goosebumps! My 2nd show and my best friend's 1st (her birthday present from me). The band was on fire (and not because of the over 100 degree weather on Tuesday). What a great venue (according to the London Free Press, 9700 fans in attendance). I have been to shows that have twice as many in attendance, but I have to say, the crowd in London was louder than any of those larger ones.

Hoping they add either shows in Ottawa or Montreal.

Come on bootleg!
    Ottawa 2011
    London 2013 "The Dundas Hookers on Crack" Show
  • swardsward Posts: 586
    Finally back to reality. Here's a nice long post to waste some time on!

When I left for London on Monday morning, this was to be my turning 40 birthday gift (turned in June). I told my wife as I was leaving that I was looking forward to it, but hey..I'm 40 now..maybe I'm too old to be chasing around this band I love. Part of that was missing my two kids, who both are at the age where they miss daddy even before he steps out the door. So...on I went to the airport. Excited but tempered. Just glad I could get away to see the band since I only usually get to one (or two) shows per tour.

My chum and I arrive in London and check in to the Delta. Not too many people milling about at this point so decide to head down Dundas Street and see what London has to offer. Its a city the same size as Halifax, so my presumption was that we'd have similar vibe and feel. Well no...no it did not. I know as a university town, the summer is likely a little less active but we were very surprised at the lack of people and activity in the city. In Halifax, no matter the temperature, people fill the park areas throwing frisbees, running, reading...just a lot of activity in general. The city lacked a lot of the general vibe and character of Halifax. Just an observation as I know I had very little time to get the true feel I guess. So to that end..we made Monday night an early to bed and prepped for Tuesday.

We wake up and had plans to do a workout and then head on a stroll to find this bakery tucked away a couple of miles walk. Just a good way to see some more city. Definitely was a better experience. Still no one using the massive area of parks we saw, but was a nice walk through the areas where people live. The true fun started before this however. We head to the gym. I run alongside my bro in law and in walks this scruffy guy in a hoodie, hat and large earphones. I nod to him and remark to my bro in law that the dude looks like Eddie Vedder. Not him..but looks like him. He has a grey hoodie on with a lightning bolt and shorts with pearl jam crest on them. Have never seen them for sale. Cool shorts. Roadie likely. I decide to head to the pool while my bro in law continues his run.

At the pool..in walks Chris Chelios. Just me in the pool, he climbs in and says hi. So I introduce myself and point out to him that he is Chris Chelios, which he confirms ;-) ...We had a great chat about Halifax and how much he likes the city...how he was there for the show with Ed and had high hopes for how special Wrigley was going to be. Special spot for him and for Ed. As he was leaving I said "Well..tell Ed I am really looking forward to tonight and have a great show"...so Chelios says that he would and in fact would be in about a minute as he was meeting him at the sauna. Pretty sure that was my invite..but I decided I should just stay put for a couple of beats til I tell my bro in law how i just swam with.

So..I run down..tell my bro in law...he says..yeah..chelios just came in here and talked to the guy beside him on the elliptical..the scruffy roadie. So...ol cpt obvious hits me and I think again..wow..he does look like Ed. Sure enough..the guy gets off the elliptical....I look at him and nod a hi (in a friendly, see a stranger way..as I still really had no idea for sure)..and he nods back, smiles and gives a wave. Yup. Eddie Vedder. On an elliptical. He still has his headphones on..loud..so Im not seeing an invitation there to hang out and chat. But he heads over to do some weights..and well..I hopped onto the elliptical...just because. Then he went to a small gym next door to the room and shot some hoops. I had been there earlier doing the same..and really wanted to ask to shoot a few with him..but again..headphones on...loud..it didn't feel right. Still an awesome experience.

Oh yeah..the show???? Well..after a day of hanging out with fellow PJ fans..enjoying the beer..the activity...this guy who decided he was 40 and maybe needed to act my age a bit...Sang and danced along to what to me was the perfect setlist. The crowd was amazing, the setlist was spot on in pacing for what I wanted to experience and every single person we met that day added a building block to build the perfect day for me. We met a great couple from Rochester NY, who were seeing their first show after many years of being fans. I hope you had the same experience we did. And then met up with an awesome father and daughter who were in from New Hampshire. Hope the same for you and enjoy Wrigley. Scattered in there were a tonne of other fans from pretty well every state and province that we chatted with and shared lots of high fives and laughs. Awesome people all of you. (And yes I told the swim with Chelios and work out with (well..alongside) Eddie story every chance I could.

Enjoy the fall tour folks (and Wrigley of course). Just remember, you are never too old ;-)
    sward wrote:
    Finally back to reality. Here's a nice long post to waste some time on!

When I left for London on Monday morning, this was to be my turning 40 birthday gift (turned in June). I told my wife as I was leaving that I was looking forward to it, but hey..I'm 40 now..maybe I'm too old to be chasing around this band I love. Part of that was missing my two kids, who both are at the age where they miss daddy even before he steps out the door. So...on I went to the airport. Excited but tempered. Just glad I could get away to see the band since I only usually get to one (or two) shows per tour.

My chum and I arrive in London and check in to the Delta. Not too many people milling about at this point so decide to head down Dundas Street and see what London has to offer. Its a city the same size as Halifax, so my presumption was that we'd have similar vibe and feel. Well no...no it did not. I know as a university town, the summer is likely a little less active but we were very surprised at the lack of people and activity in the city. In Halifax, no matter the temperature, people fill the park areas throwing frisbees, running, reading...just a lot of activity in general. The city lacked a lot of the general vibe and character of Halifax. Just an observation as I know I had very little time to get the true feel I guess. So to that end..we made Monday night an early to bed and prepped for Tuesday.

We wake up and had plans to do a workout and then head on a stroll to find this bakery tucked away a couple of miles walk. Just a good way to see some more city. Definitely was a better experience. Still no one using the massive area of parks we saw, but was a nice walk through the areas where people live. The true fun started before this however. We head to the gym. I run alongside my bro in law and in walks this scruffy guy in a hoodie, hat and large earphones. I nod to him and remark to my bro in law that the dude looks like Eddie Vedder. Not him..but looks like him. He has a grey hoodie on with a lightning bolt and shorts with pearl jam crest on them. Have never seen them for sale. Cool shorts. Roadie likely. I decide to head to the pool while my bro in law continues his run.

At the pool..in walks Chris Chelios. Just me in the pool, he climbs in and says hi. So I introduce myself and point out to him that he is Chris Chelios, which he confirms ;-) ...We had a great chat about Halifax and how much he likes the city...how he was there for the show with Ed and had high hopes for how special Wrigley was going to be. Special spot for him and for Ed. As he was leaving I said "Well..tell Ed I am really looking forward to tonight and have a great show"...so Chelios says that he would and in fact would be in about a minute as he was meeting him at the sauna. Pretty sure that was my invite..but I decided I should just stay put for a couple of beats til I tell my bro in law how i just swam with.

So..I run down..tell my bro in law...he says..yeah..chelios just came in here and talked to the guy beside him on the elliptical..the scruffy roadie. So...ol cpt obvious hits me and I think again..wow..he does look like Ed. Sure enough..the guy gets off the elliptical....I look at him and nod a hi (in a friendly, see a stranger way..as I still really had no idea for sure)..and he nods back, smiles and gives a wave. Yup. Eddie Vedder. On an elliptical. He still has his headphones on..loud..so Im not seeing an invitation there to hang out and chat. But he heads over to do some weights..and well..I hopped onto the elliptical...just because. Then he went to a small gym next door to the room and shot some hoops. I had been there earlier doing the same..and really wanted to ask to shoot a few with him..but again..headphones on...loud..it didn't feel right. Still an awesome experience.

Oh yeah..the show???? Well..after a day of hanging out with fellow PJ fans..enjoying the beer..the activity...this guy who decided he was 40 and maybe needed to act my age a bit...Sang and danced along to what to me was the perfect setlist. The crowd was amazing, the setlist was spot on in pacing for what I wanted to experience and every single person we met that day added a building block to build the perfect day for me. We met a great couple from Rochester NY, who were seeing their first show after many years of being fans. I hope you had the same experience we did. And then met up with an awesome father and daughter who were in from New Hampshire. Hope the same for you and enjoy Wrigley. Scattered in there were a tonne of other fans from pretty well every state and province that we chatted with and shared lots of high fives and laughs. Awesome people all of you. (And yes I told the swim with Chelios and work out with (well..alongside) Eddie story every chance I could.

Enjoy the fall tour folks (and Wrigley of course). Just remember, you are never too old ;-)

cool story, thanks
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • TH75818TH75818 Posts: 1
    Wow! What a show! The set was amazing and the venue was perfect. I'd never been to Budweiser Gardens before but I can see why they handpicked it. The sound was incredible. I love how the light rigging and the lanterns came down for the acoustic set, gave it a MTV Unplugged feel. When they played Man of the Hour and then Just Breathe, I was hoping they'd play Indifference right after - these three songs, in that order, were played at my wedding ceremony as my wedding party and I walked down the aisle. So when Daughter started, I had a second of disappointment but then they closed with Indifference - and you can't beat that! Awesome setlist overall.

I am hoping beyond hope that they release a bootleg and I'm crossing my fingers for a DVD release of the show. I would love to relive this show over and over.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in-between is mine. I am mine.
  • JH239389JH239389 Posts: 8
    Great Show! Glad Bud Gardens is a small venue because I lost out on the lottery and had to get public sale tickets. Luckily won reserved seats for Buffalo so see you there. I've stopped hoping/wishing for particular songs and just enjoy what comes. I like how the "bird/nest" overhead flapped it's "wings" during Given To Fly. When they lowered it for the acoustic portion, along with the hanging globe lights, it really made it like a small outdoor tiki hut they were playing in.

Didn't see this link earlier so in case anyone is interested here's the London Free Press article on the show.
    Nothing really interesting, mostly generic stuff. The way the article is written it seems the writer is someone who knows OF the band but doesn't KNOW the band (evidenced by the 14 pictures of ONLY Ed ) There's also the Youtube clip of MYM/Got Some that GetALife posted on page 3.
    http://www.lfpress.com/2013/07/16/seatt ... er-gardens
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,249
    smarchee wrote:

shhhhhhhh

carry on

you were directly in front of me i was 3rd row center it was good i just didn't like the flow of it but still great and congrats on hitting the lottery :) i know you were with CG ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....