Options

THE LINE & "THE LIST"

Comments

• Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 821
    I stopped reading after about the 6th page and my blood pressure started to rise to unhealthy levels.

Fuck a list. If you want to pre-party, do it. If you want to wait in line all day, do it. There is nothing in between.

Hopefully most venues do as described on the confirmations and open all doors at the posted opening time, and let people fight it out for the 'right' to get slammed up against their precious rail.

Meanwhile, I'll stroll in happy and fat at gate opening time, calmly walk to check out the merchandise and maybe get another beer...then go down and mill around the back of the pit where I can breathe, hang out, talk, drink, then use the restroom one more time and get one more beer, and be back right before PJ comes on...before pulling a rhino and making my way to the front. ;)

Just kidding on that last part. But you know it will happen.

Just chill people...chill!!!
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,552
    I stopped reading after about the 6th page and my blood pressure started to rise to unhealthy levels.

Fuck a list. If you want to pre-party, do it. If you want to wait in line all day, do it. There is nothing in between.

Hopefully most venues do as described on the confirmations and open all doors at the posted opening time, and let people fight it out for the 'right' to get slammed up against their precious rail.

Meanwhile, I'll stroll in happy and fat at gate opening time, calmly walk to check out the merchandise and maybe get another beer...then go down and mill around the back of the pit where I can breathe, hang out, talk, drink, then use the restroom one more time and get one more beer, and be back right before PJ comes on...before pulling a rhino and making my way to the front. ;)

I don't even wait in line... or maybe 1/2 an hour before door open at the longest. It just kind of pisses me off that the line people think they have a right to dictate how it works and telling people if they are ALLOWED to leave the line, dictate how long leaving it is acceptable, etc etc. I would like to know who put them in charge?? ... Oh, that's right. No one. These also tend to be the people who think they actually own their spot in GA, which they don't.

I really think 10C should do something about this situation. I think that having GA entrance at every gate is a great start. But I think that it would be even better if they adopted Bruce Springsteen's method, and it wouldn't be hard for the them to do.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I don't even wait in line... or maybe 1/2 an hour before door open at the longest. It just kind of pisses me off that the line people think they have a right to dictate how it works and telling people if they are ALLOWED to leave the line, dictate how long leaving it is acceptable, etc etc. I would like to know who put them in charge?? ... Oh, that's right. No one. These also tend to be the people who think they actually own their spot in GA, which they don't.

I really think 10C should do something about this situation. I think that having GA entrance at every gate is a great start. But I think that it would be even better if they adopted Bruce Springsteen's method, and it wouldn't be hard for the them to do.

Yep, Bruce's would eliminate all this. I know that is one system we discussed in this thread. But, as Yefa pointed out, PJ is going contrary to that initial email of all doors at least for the early herds. They did put out a tweet from their official Twitter profile about the one designated early GA entrance, as Yefa just confirmed did indeed happen at Worcester. And I agree, no one in line is put in charge, and so, yes, no one should have the right to dictate when and how long one can be away from the line. It's the list that allows people to abuse the system. You can't be at a pre-party and "in line" at the same time.
    1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    I'm just gonna put it out there that I hope there's a list and numbered hands in Dallas so we are free to roam until an hour or so before gates open. That'd be nice.
    That's bullshit.

Why is it bullshit? I mean, I'll roll with whatever happens and be happy about it 'cause hey, it's GA.
    I used to belong to the whole line up at 7am and wait all day thing, but if you're free for a few hours that's kinda nice sounding, actually. But oh well. To each his own!

You stand in line or you don't. There's a difference between taking a piss and coming right back and coming early to sign up for a list then leaving.. even if for an hour. I'm sorry, but you will have already made your choice at that point. If you want to be really close that badly, then you have to tough it out.
  • Options

Yep, Bruce's would eliminate all this. I know that is one system we discussed in this thread. But, as Yefa pointed out, PJ is going contrary to that initial email of all doors at least for the early herds. They did put out a tweet from their official Twitter profile about the one designated early GA entrance, as Yefa just confirmed did indeed happen at Worcester. And I agree, no one in line is put in charge, and so, yes, no one should have the right to dictate when and how long one can be away from the line. It's the list that allows people to abuse the system. You can't be at a pre-party and "in line" at the same time.

Agreed and Springsteen's process is exceptionally well done and played
  • Options

Perhaps this thread can spur them on to change for the better. You know damn well that all in PJ and PJ's organization love the Boss. I think it's safe to say that there are better ways to spend a day then sitting on cement for hours on end. If PJ looked at Bruce's wristband system, our waiting days would be a thing of the past. And then all Adolph Listlers would be gone for good!
    1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    edited October 2013
    Last night I got in line at 5:45 and got 10 "rows" back from Jeff's mic stand. My friend Joyce who lined up for a few hours was only a few people in front of me. It was good to see her in the pit but it seemed like a waste of preparty time to line up that early just to get a few spots closer...particularly since she didn't get the rail.
    Post edited by Yefa on
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options

And then all Adolph Listlers would be gone for good!

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I guess it's going to be the wrong and other way to do it for most people though.... Unless PJ is changing their minds?? If so, then I expect to see an email from 10C.
    i sw them like 20+ times GA in europe,there is always one gate and one entrance..
    i dont see the point for do it in a different way.
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158

:shock: ,man at 8th page there was nude photos of a hottie!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I guess it's going to be the wrong and other way to do it for most people though.... Unless PJ is changing their minds?? If so, then I expect to see an email from 10C.
    i sw them like 20+ times GA in europe,there is always one gate and one entrance..
    i dont see the point for do it in a different way.
    Maybe to get rid of the line? I dunno.... they obviously made a conscious decision to change it though. If they are reneging on this, they had better inform everyone with tickets.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    Having a line and dictating who can stand where in a GA setting is one of the most ridiculously stupid things I have ever heard.
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • Options
    Think about it...if 10 different GA doors all let people in at the same time, people at the front of each line who want the rail would be running at top speed to try to beat one another to the rail. It would lead to injuries and liability issues for the venue. One entrance for all GA people is the best way to go.
    - Al Swearengen

• Options
    Yefa wrote:
    Think about it...if 10 different GA doors all let people in at the same time, people at the front of each line who want the rail would be running at top speed to try to beat one another to the rail. It would lead to injuries and liability issues for the venue. One entrance for all GA people is the best way to go.
    Well they had people entering through all doors in Pittsburgh apparently, and no one was killed. And I've been to a lot of concerts where all doors were open.... I've never seen anything bad happen. Most grown ups don't get seriously injured just because they are running (and most wouldn't run anyway), plus they have to stop so that security can check their wristbands at the entrance to the pit. Not sure what you're picturing.... how many people do you think show up early for GA??? It's not THAT many. And if they're all spread out between doors, then the chances of chaos are lower, not higher.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Yefa wrote:
    Well they had people entering through all doors in Pittsburgh apparently, and no one was killed. And I've been to a lot of concerts where all doors were open.... I've never seen anything bad happen. Most grown ups don't get seriously injured just because they are running (and most wouldn't run anyway), plus they have to stop so that security can check their wristbands at the entrance to the pit.

You've been to a lot of GA shows where a lot of doors opened at the same time? I go to many club shows and it's one entrance.
    I saw a number of Neil Young & Crazy Horse shows from GA last year and all venues but one had only one entrance for all GA people. The one that screwed it up was Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport, CT. They made the same mistake at that venue this year with the Bob Dylan/Wilco/My Morning Jacket show I saw there.
    As I said before, I didn't wait long in line last night as I wasn't trying for the rail. It appears you and some other folks don't think anyone should have the right to try for the rail by waiting in line if they so choose. I think that's a rather strange viewpoint to take but so be it.
    - Al Swearengen

• Options
    pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    FYI for the 2 Worcester shows they "told" GA to enter through door 16(but you could enter in any door you wanted). By the time I entered night 1 at around 7:30 there were huge lines to get in at the other doors and nobody at the GA door so I entered there. Night 2 at around the same time was much easier to enter into any door in the area as there were less people in general at the gig.

PS You could get floor access from both sides and from a number of the sections on the first concourse, the smart play if one were trying to bypass "the list/line/sharpie numbers :fp: " would have been to enter one of the other doors promptly at 630pm and thus jump a number of people in the GA "line".
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • Options
    pulling69 wrote:
    FYI for the 2 Worcester shows they "told" GA to enter through door 16(but you could enter in any door you wanted). By the time I entered night 1 at around 7:30 there were huge lines to get in at the other doors and nobody at the GA door so I entered there. Night 2 at around the same time was much easier to enter into any door in the area as there were less people in general at the gig.

PS You could get floor access from both sides and from a number of the sections on the first concourse, the smart play if one were trying to bypass "the list/line/sharpie numbers :fp: " would have been to enter one of the other doors promptly at 630pm and thus jump a number of people in the GA "line".

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that GA people could enter anywhere but door 16 in Worcester.
    If people just walked up to any entrance at doors and got in front of people who had been waiting for hours at door 16 then that really sucks for the people who had been in line all that time.
    - Al Swearengen

• Options
    Yefa wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Yefa wrote:
    Well they had people entering through all doors in Pittsburgh apparently, and no one was killed. And I've been to a lot of concerts where all doors were open.... I've never seen anything bad happen. Most grown ups don't get seriously injured just because they are running (and most wouldn't run anyway), plus they have to stop so that security can check their wristbands at the entrance to the pit.

You've been to a lot of GA shows where a lot of doors opened at the same time? I go to many club shows and it's one entrance.
    I saw a number of Neil Young & Crazy Horse shows from GA last year and all venues but one had only one entrance for all GA people. The one that screwed it up was Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport, CT. They made the same mistake at that venue this year with the Bob Dylan/Wilco/My Morning Jacket show I saw there.
    As I said before, I didn't wait long in line last night as I wasn't trying for the rail. It appears you and some other folks don't think anyone should have the right to try for the rail by waiting in line if they so choose. I think that's a rather strange viewpoint to take but so be it.
    K .... yeah, I've been to a lot of arena shows where you can enter at any door for GA.
    I believe people have the right to wait in line for the rail if they want. I have no issue with that. As I've already said, the only issue I have is that some people think they can make up line rules and enforce them. They have no right to do that, and they should get over themselves. 10C needs to take over, or they shouldn't have one entrance, and it looks like the latter is what they've decided on for much of this tour unless they've changed their mind since they made that official.
  • Options
    Yefa wrote:
    pulling69 wrote:

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that GA people could enter anywhere but door 16 in Worcester.
    If people just walked up to any entrance at doors and got in front of people who had been waiting for hours at door 16 then that really sucks for the people who had been in line all that time.
    More like that's really stupid of the people who had been in line all that time.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Yefa wrote:
    pulling69 wrote:

More like that's really stupid of the people who had been in line all that time.

Clearly you have never waited in line to get the rail at any show or you would not have that kind of attitude.
    - Al Swearengen

• Options
    pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    Yefa wrote:
    pulling69 wrote:

Sucks for them? Meh The 10C email clearly states that for every show you can enter through any door at 6:30pm. The venue told people to form a line/enter at one door but did not say you couldn't enter anywhere else. It is pretty clear that the 10C tried to set up the GA to be as fan friendly and easy to deal with as possible(enter at any door, stating "no need to wait all day", etc).

PS Like I said, I still entered at door 16 on night one. I had my 10C reserved seat for night 2 and nobody looked at the ticket to see what it was, they just scanned it to make sure it was valid. Pretty sure 70+ year old grandma wouldn't have even been able to read what section my ticket was in ;)
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • Options
    pulling69 wrote:
    Yefa wrote:
    pulling69 wrote:

Sucks for them? Meh The 10C email clearly states that for every show you can enter through any door at 6:30pm. The venue told people to form a line/enter at one door but did not say you couldn't enter anywhere else. It is pretty clear that the 10C tried to set up the GA to be as fan friendly and easy to deal with as possible(enter at any door, stating "no need to wait all day", etc).

PS Like I said, I still entered at door 16 on night one. I had my 10C reserved seat for night 2 and nobody looked at the ticket to see what it was, they just scanned it to make sure it was valid. Pretty sure 70+ year old grandma wouldn't have even been able to read what section my ticket was in ;)

If the 10C doesn't want people lining up to get the rail, then they should institute the GA system that Springsteen uses for his shows. That system has already been detailed upthread and so I won't rehash it here.
    - Al Swearengen

• Options
    Yefa wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Yefa wrote:

Clearly you have never waited in line to get the rail at any show or you would not have that kind of attitude.
    Huh? That makes no sense. I have had the opportunity to wait in line to get the rail for a lot of shows, but have chosen not to. What difference does that make? How would being in a particularly pointless and useless GA line change my mind?? I wouldn't be standing in a line when you could enter for GA at every door. That seems pretty dumb to me.
  • Options
    KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    So the difference between numbered wrists (list & a marker) and wristbands (a la The Boss) is what?
    I don't care if there is a list or whatever the hell, I'll sit on cold concrete for hours and have fun doing it.
    The point BEING is that if everyone waiting to get into GA has a number or wristband number, the all day line becomes unnecessary. But everyone has to be on board that system, not just a few, otherwise you WILL have other line people trying to police the whole thing. It's an all or nothing deal I get it. I can wish for the best of both worlds if I damn well want to, and speak up about it as well without it being bullshit. :fp:
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Options
    So the difference between numbered wrists (list & a marker) and wristbands (a la The Boss) is what?
    I don't care if there is a list or whatever the hell, I'll sit on cold concrete for hours and have fun doing it.
    The point BEING is that if everyone waiting to get into GA has a number or wristband number, the all day line becomes unnecessary. But everyone has to be on board that system, not just a few, otherwise you WILL have other line people trying to police the whole thing. It's an all or nothing deal I get it. I can wish for the best of both worlds if I damn well want to, and speak up about it as well without it being bullshit. :fp:
    Bruce does a lottery. You get wristbands, and then at a predetermined time of day, they draw a number, and whoever's wristband has that number is first in line, and then people line up in numerical order after that person, all the way to the highest number, and then back to 1. So if they pick 127, then the person with 127 wristband is first, then 128, etc. That is order that they allow people to enter the building. It's genius.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Huh? That makes no sense. I have had the opportunity to wait in line to get the rail for a lot of shows, but have chosen not to. What difference does that make? How would being in a particularly pointless and useless GA line change my mind?? I wouldn't be standing in a line when you could enter for GA at every door. That seems pretty dumb to me.

A lot of people had the impression that door 16 was the only one where GA people could enter last night. Perhaps there was a 10C email sent out that contradicted that, but have you never seen posts on this board from 10C members saying they never received this, that, or the other 10C email that some members got? It happens on a regular basis.
    - Al Swearengen

• Options
    Yefa wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

A lot of people had the impression that door 16 was the only one where GA people could enter last night. Perhaps there was a 10C email sent out that contradicted that, but have you never seen posts on this board from 10C members saying they never received this, that, or the other 10C email that some members got? It happens on a regular basis.
    I actually haven't seen people complaining about not getting their ticket confirmation emails.... It's not like 10C sent a separate email about it. It's right there in the ticket confirmation, and I can't imagine that any member is going to go long without that before contacting 10C. It's the email with the ticket pick up details and the GA LINEUP DETAILS. If they don't get that and don't contact 10C, then that's their problem.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Bruce does a lottery. You get wristbands, and then at a predetermined time of day, they draw a number, and whoever's wristband has that number is first in line, and then people line up in numerical order after that person, all the way to the highest number, and then back to 1. So if they pick 127, then the person with 127 wristband is first, then 128, etc. That is order that they allow people to enter the building. It's genius.
    It works well but it's a crapshoot. I've had GA for Bruce twice and have not gotten the pit yet. I think I'd rather have a seat than be in the back part of the floor at a show.
    - Al Swearengen

• Options
    Yefa wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    It works well but it's a crapshoot. I've had GA for Bruce twice and have not gotten the pit yet. I think I'd rather have a seat than be in the back part of the floor at a show.
    I just love that everyone gets the same odds of getting a good spot, there are different people at the rail at every show, and that no one has to line up and deal with the line Nazis.
  • Options
    LukinzLukinz Posts: 386
    I was online in Brooklyn this past Tuesday, so mark it on the list for when I come back on Saturday at 6:30. I'm at my house in NJ now that I have secured my place on the list. Thanks!

:lol::lol::lol:
    2003: Madison Square Garden 1
    2006: East Rutherford 1, East Rutherford 2
    2008: Madison Square Garden 2
    2010: Newark
    2013: Brooklyn 2 GA