Options

THE LINE & "THE LIST"

Comments

• Options
    Mamasan BrenMamasan Bren Posts: 959
    So I assume the lining up has begun. But where? Anyone down there? Which of the gates are the GA rail-seekers camping out at?
    1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,728
    The line has indeed begun.....at around 1am.

no idea which gate
  • Options
    Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books USA Posts: 2,672
    So I assume the lining up has begun. But where? Anyone down there? Which of the gates are the GA rail-seekers camping out at?

Not really. You can enter at any gate. People are around, but no one is really lining up.
  • Options
    shmapshmap Posts: 354
    According to the three fellas I just spoke with, an official gate for GA hasn't been decided yet, and we're not even "supposed to" line up until 2.
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I'm not a liner upper, but what I just don't understand at all is why anyone at all has to suffer in a line up all day. Why not just devise a system where people get a number on a first come first serve basis, and EVERYONE then takes off until half an hour before the doors open. Anyone still standing in a line would just be crazy. This seems so unbelievably simple and obvious to me, and would serve absolutely everyone's best interests. Sure there might be a line up for the number assignment, but that would obviously be a list free line up, and one that stops at, say, 10am the day of the show (at which time the numbets start getting distributed) so that everyone can go and enjoy their day and get to the show fresh and rested instead of disgusting, stinky, and tired. Or better yet, PJ should just do what they do for the Springsteen shows. That system is perfect.

5:30 - Random number distribution starts.
    6:30 - Pit invasion begins
    7:30 - Show starts.

Say there's 1000 GA pairs. Each pair of tickets is worth one random number. Say 825 is drawn. That number is first to go in, followed by 826 to 1000. Number 1 lines up after 1000. Number 824 is last.

You enter in small groups to prevent stampedes.

People that snooze and miss the number allocation?? They go in after the last number.

Better yet? Randomly print numbers on the tickets and do it that way...number 1 would be on two tickets, etc.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    well theres an official list with numbers on hands doing the rounds, probably best bet to go seek out the two ladies whom were compiling that since the early hours.
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    well theres an official list with numbers on hands doing the rounds, probably best bet to go seek out the two ladies whom were compiling that since the early hours.

I should have stated 'official'.......fan led and drawn up official.....you know what I mean......nothing official official ;)
  • Options
    How is the list going to be enforced when there are several entry points?
  • Options
    faceinthecloudsfaceintheclouds Posts: 1,739
    good luck having the list enforced..
    really? how hard did you have to work to get your London or Wrigley tix? we know lists don't apply to you.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • Options
    Anyone know what the long line is on the earthcam link that has been posted? Looks like its going Will Call window, so I assume its not the GA line. Anyone know?

Also, have they decided what gate(s) GA is lining up at?
    2008 - 6/28, 6/30
    2009 - 8/21,10/30, 10/31
    2010 - 5/15, 5/17, 5/20, 5/21
    2011 - 9/3/11, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12, 9/14
    2012 - 9/2
    2013 - 7/19, 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/25
    2014 - 6/16. 6/17, 6/20, 10/1

EV solo 8.1.08, 6.8.09, 6.15.11, 6.16.11
  • Options
    dana_bdana_b Posts: 141
    shmap wrote:

And how is it going to be enforced when many people don't even know about this all powerful list because maybe they are showing up to Wrigley now and hanging around until they are allowed to line up?

This kind of crap is just that (imo) - crap!
  • Options
    ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    NO SPONGING ON THE LINE TO GET IN. :mrgreen:
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Options
    dana_b wrote:
    shmap wrote:

And how is it going to be enforced when many people don't even know about this all powerful list because maybe they are showing up to Wrigley now and hanging around until they are allowed to line up?

This kind of crap is just that (imo) - crap!

Totally agree. I hope it's not going down. So shitty. Drop the list, drop the list....
    1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
  • Options
    Hey since I didn't wait out, I'm curious as to what went down. Can anyone share their experiences. Obviously the rain delay wiped out positions for most. I guess it was different with the 3 gates letting in at once. Was there a list at all, or any crazed Adolph Listlers?
  • Options
    DarbyCrashDarbyCrash Posts: 223
    The list actually worked out really well, thanks to a gentleman named Graham. I got there at about 7am and was frantically asking everyone I saw what the main gate would be. We heard a million different answers, but then finally Graham came up to me and told me about "the list." Everyone was assigned a number in order of their arrival. Graham spoke with the Cubs security people and convinced them to honor our unofficial system and they did! The whole process was peaceful. There were two girls who ended up cutting in front of us (probably about 10 people in), and I wanted to say something but I thought better of it. I got the rail anyway, how could I complain?? There were a few people who rebelled against the way Graham was doing things, and said there was no way the people in charge would go for that, and they ended up losing out on their spot. My advice...stick with the lifelong members who have been to the GA shows in Europe and South America. They know what they're doing.
    I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am...David Byrne, Talking Heads

Regal Theater, 1994--most amazing night ever.
  • Options
    I'd say it worked out as well as could be expected! Cubs security let us line up in the player lot for a few hours, then took us to the GA gate, and allowed us to police ourselves. I was incredibly lucky to have great company in line (#40-52ish), though I've since forgotten some names: Chris and his brother, the couple from Minnesota (rewarded for their enthusiasm with a tambourine!), Bob, the others who joined in under the godsend of a canopy...we looked out for each other when the rain came, and made sure that we got each other back to the rail. The camaraderie was a huge factor in the overall splendor of the day.
  • Options
    Princess BulldozerPrincess Bulldozer Mannheim, Germany Posts: 952
    shmap wrote:
    I'd say it worked out as well as could be expected! Cubs security let us line up in the player lot for a few hours, then took us to the GA gate, and allowed us to police ourselves. I was incredibly lucky to have great company in line (#40-52ish), though I've since forgotten some names: Chris and his brother, the couple from Minnesota (rewarded for their enthusiasm with a tambourine!), Bob, the others who joined in under the godsend of a canopy...we looked out for each other when the rain came, and made sure that we got each other back to the rail. The camaraderie was a huge factor in the overall splendor of the day.

This is what the line should be!
    Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    It did seem to work well for those who were there before noon.
    While I understand the concept of the list, it doesn't mean I'm a fan of it

We chose to try for merch instead, knowing full well that by doing so, we weren't getting the rail. We ended up about 4th row in front of Stone. The groups around it's were very cool, even had a couple of taller guys volunteer to shift around so my wife (who is all of 5'2") would be able to see.

Once the rain came though, it got ugly. We knew we had been as close as we were going to be for the night.

Those on the "list" became ugly, thinking they were entitled to be on the rail again. Not towards me, but I noticed it towards others. Uncalled for, to say the least.

Then, once they opened up the floodgates to let us back in, their actions of blocking the crowd so they could be first back in could have very easily resulted in someone being hurt, a the surge from along the left field line was massive, and very uncomfortable. Guess what? Mother nature made the rules.

Like I said, I get the idea, and it works in most situations, like in Amsterdam last summer (I was on it), but it doesn't work in a situation like last night, when the entire field had to be evacuated.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    DarbyCrash wrote:
    The list actually worked out really well, thanks to a gentleman named Graham. I got there at about 7am and was frantically asking everyone I saw what the main gate would be. We heard a million different answers, but then finally Graham came up to me and told me about "the list." Everyone was assigned a number in order of their arrival. Graham spoke with the Cubs security people and convinced them to honor our unofficial system and they did! The whole process was peaceful. There were two girls who ended up cutting in front of us (probably about 10 people in), and I wanted to say something but I thought better of it. I got the rail anyway, how could I complain?? There were a few people who rebelled against the way Graham was doing things, and said there was no way the people in charge would go for that, and they ended up losing out on their spot. My advice...stick with the lifelong members who have been to the GA shows in Europe and South America. They know what they're doing.
    Graham was a rockstar for getting us organized. It was probably the most peaceful ga line I've been in (this was my 7th ga show) and probably the most challenging circumstances with the multiple entrances and lack of info. We miraculously managed to organize ourselves into one list with little fuss even though originally there were queues forming at at least 3 gates.

For people who say the people advocating for the list are elitist, I'm not sure where this is coming from. The intent of the list is to get us organized and hopefully avoid the inevitable queue cutters who show up at 5pm and try to pretend that they have been there since 3 am. With a list you can at least point to it and say that their name is not in there. It's not perfect but it's the best system we've got without any formal system in place. It is not a list where people come, put down the names of 10 friends and then leave for the rest of the day. At Wrigley, we were all pretty much hanging around and checking in with each other when we left to go take showers or get lunch and stuff but for the most part everyone was on board and respectful. It actually seemed a lot more civilized than the merch lines!

Too bad all that effort was only good for 7 songs :( I managed to get back on the rail thanks to a kind soul who let me squeeze into a narrow spot in front of him (thanks Sean) but many were not that lucky. Do I think I was entitled to the rail after the rain because I was on it when the show started? Absofuckinglutely. Do I think I'm entitled to be rude and violent to get there? No way. I don't blame others for using the opportunity to get there when they hadn't put in the same amout of effort to get there, however I don't think it's right that people were plotting on how to get to the front when they had been way back in the floor before. I'm resentful of the way the reentry was managed (as in, there was zero management and it was a total shit show). People were pushing before they removed the barricades and I was really worried about a stampede. I was shocked that there wasn't any announcements over the pa system reminding people to stay safe and I thought for sure that there would be injuries. When the barricades opened it was a free for all; I ended up running between the seats just because I didn't want to be near anyone else and that actually worked out well for me. My friend ran in with everyone else, got pushed and shoved and was in tears by the time she got back into the pit. Just awful. This cannot be the first time a concert with ga has gotten delayed in the history of Wrigley concerts and it was apparent that there was no plan for getting us out and then back in in an orderly fashion, despite them knowing about the bad weather coming.

All in all, worse ga experience for me. Rail was great obviously but the process of getting to that point and the reentry after rain delay was awful. I don't think I will go to another Wrigley show if they ever have one.
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Nice to hear it mostly worked yesterday, apart from the re-entry. I'll keep my fingers crossed for good GA 'list' management & participation on the west coast in the fall. See you then people. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    DarbyCrash wrote:
    The list actually worked out really well, thanks to a gentleman named Graham.

It's kinda funny considering Graham is a TOURING FAN FROM UK which is one of the countries where touring Pearl Jam fans excel in science of "keeping the order in queue"

Well done, Mr. Holey, well fucking done :)

Also on Mike's side, people were able to get their original rail spots back after the weather break. Don't know how that worked out in other sections but I know couple of friends couldn't get their spots back after waiting out for like 12 hours under 40 degrees celcius temps.

On top of that, this pit was extremely mellow...in fact much too mellow for my taste ;)
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    DarbyCrash wrote:
    The list actually worked out really well, thanks to a gentleman named Graham.

An excellent job indeed.

We were over on Stone's side, and about eight of us who stuck together during the delay made it back up front ok, just slightly shuffled around.
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Ah I didn't realise it was nadahombre Graham. Well done man. :)
    I know of peeps who were on the rail in front of Stone at 1st but were to the edge of Stone-side after the re-entry. :cry:
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    Yeah huge respect to Graham ( and his partner in crime Jose)
    Superstars from what I heard
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    morello wrote:
    Ah I didn't realise it was nadahombre Graham. Well done man. :)
    I know of peeps who were on the rail in front of Stone at 1st but were to the edge of Stone-side after the re-entry. :cry:

yes that is us :( but considering what happened to other people, we were lucky. I agree with suziemay, reentry was not organized at all, and could have easily gotten people hurt. lots of guys without GA wristband went in there too.
  • Options
    EvenstevenEvensteven Posts: 868
    It's works great for those on the list. If you missed the flier or information session about being on the list then seems like you got screwed.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    crazygeocrazygeo Posts: 2,374
    GA list everywhere?
    Don't see it, don't care for it....
    GA means General admission, be nice to your neighbor and rock on!!!
    Great to see a list and wanting the rail for some...
    I just wanna rock! Not like I am going to be on stage, just wanna be safe and have a blast....
    • 1991-11-17• 1998-08-28 •2000-09-01
    • 2003-07-05• 2004-10-01
    • 2005-10-03• 2006-05-27
    • 2008-06-19• 2009-10-27 2009-10-28 •2009-10-30
    • 2009-10-31

*Tres Mts 2011-03-23
    *Eddie Vedder 2011-06-25
    - 2013-10-21
    - 2013=10-22
    -2016 -04-28
    -2016 -04-29
  • Options
    EvenstevenEvensteven Posts: 868
    crazygeo wrote:
    GA list everywhere?
    I just wanna rock! Not like I am going to be on stage, just wanna be safe and have a blast....

Thank you.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    crazygeocrazygeo Posts: 2,374
    by Evensteven » 21 Jul 2013 08:29

crazygeo wrote:GA list everywhere?

Thank you.

Then again, I am talking about the Philly area, where I have a seen some bastards over the years! Non-10 clubbers, of course....so be safe and have fun :)
    • 1991-11-17• 1998-08-28 •2000-09-01
    • 2003-07-05• 2004-10-01
    • 2005-10-03• 2006-05-27
    • 2008-06-19• 2009-10-27 2009-10-28 •2009-10-30
    • 2009-10-31

*Tres Mts 2011-03-23
    *Eddie Vedder 2011-06-25
    - 2013-10-21
    - 2013=10-22
    -2016 -04-28
    -2016 -04-29
  • Options
    DarbyCrashDarbyCrash Posts: 223
    Suziemay wrote:
    DarbyCrash wrote:
    Graham was a rockstar for getting us organized. It was probably the most peaceful ga line I've been in (this was my 7th ga show) and probably the most challenging circumstances with the multiple entrances and lack of info. We miraculously managed to organize ourselves into one list with little fuss even though originally there were queues forming at at least 3 gates.

For people who say the people advocating for the list are elitist, I'm not sure where this is coming from. The intent of the list is to get us organized and hopefully avoid the inevitable queue cutters who show up at 5pm and try to pretend that they have been there since 3 am. With a list you can at least point to it and say that their name is not in there. It's not perfect but it's the best system we've got without any formal system in place. It is not a list where people come, put down the names of 10 friends and then leave for the rest of the day. At Wrigley, we were all pretty much hanging around and checking in with each other when we left to go take showers or get lunch and stuff but for the most part everyone was on board and respectful. It actually seemed a lot more civilized than the merch lines!

Too bad all that effort was only good for 7 songs :( I managed to get back on the rail thanks to a kind soul who let me squeeze into a narrow spot in front of him (thanks Sean) but many were not that lucky. Do I think I was entitled to the rail after the rain because I was on it when the show started? Absofuckinglutely. Do I think I'm entitled to be rude and violent to get there? No way. I don't blame others for using the opportunity to get there when they hadn't put in the same amout of effort to get there, however I don't think it's right that people were plotting on how to get to the front when they had been way back in the floor before. I'm resentful of the way the reentry was managed (as in, there was zero management and it was a total shit show). People were pushing before they removed the barricades and I was really worried about a stampede. I was shocked that there wasn't any announcements over the pa system reminding people to stay safe and I thought for sure that there would be injuries. When the barricades opened it was a free for all; I ended up running between the seats just because I didn't want to be near anyone else and that actually worked out well for me. My friend ran in with everyone else, got pushed and shoved and was in tears by the time she got back into the pit. Just awful. This cannot be the first time a concert with ga has gotten delayed in the history of Wrigley concerts and it was apparent that there was no plan for getting us out and then back in in an orderly fashion, despite them knowing about the bad weather coming.

All in all, worse ga experience for me. Rail was great obviously but the process of getting to that point and the reentry after rain delay was awful. I don't think I will go to another Wrigley show if they ever have one.

I know, when they released the herds back to the field it was chaos. I was with a Marine, so he was behind me making sure no one tried to trip me (which I saw others doing) or push me (which I saw a lot of). It was a combination of the heat all day, lots of beer and annoyance at the rain. A lot of people were just pissed and tired. Some others were pissed, tired and REALLY DRUNK. A girl next to me while we were waiting to get the all clear was drooling on herself and smoking a cigarette backwards. :(

As far as the list being elitist. No way. How else would we stay organized? What was it Eddie said long ago? "Police yourselves..." So we do. And it was perfect. And I agree, after waiting all day, I DID deserve my spot back. No, I shouldn't mouth off to everyone and throw a hissy fit if I don't get it but...dude, I earned that spot. And I loved everyone I met. I was number 34 in line...surrounded by such wonderful people the entire time. If not for them, I would have been passed out from heat exhaustion by 2pm. :mrgreen:
    I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am...David Byrne, Talking Heads

Regal Theater, 1994--most amazing night ever.