Options

THE LINE & "THE LIST"

Comments

• Options
    LukinzLukinz Posts: 386
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Yefa wrote:
    Lukinz wrote:
    You should EARN the rail, by suffering in line for many hours. It's a time honored tradition that must not be changed.
    Agreed
    I thought Lukinz was being sarcastic.... no?

No. The idea that you can leave the line for hours then expect your spot back is ridiculous.
    2003: Madison Square Garden 1
    2006: East Rutherford 1, East Rutherford 2
    2008: Madison Square Garden 2
    2010: Newark
    2013: Brooklyn 2 GA
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Lukinz wrote:
    No. The idea that you can leave the line for hours then expect your spot back is ridiculous.
    Well said Lukinz.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    BoltOfLightnin'BoltOfLightnin' South Jersey Posts: 708
    I don't want any part of any list. I am totally willing and prepared to sit in line all day for a chance at the rail in Philly. I have never had the opportunity to be up close at a Pearl Jam show, and I figure this may be my one and only chance. I hope that I'll make friends with the people next to me, and that they'll be cool with the fact that my husband won't be able to join me until later. I'll have food/beverages with me and will only have to leave line to pee (I can hold it for a pretty long time - and I have a Go Girl to make it easier ;) I understand the possibility that there may be multiple entrances and others may get in line later and get the same chance at the rail as me...but don't try to tell me you were on some list and therefore deserve the spot that I waited all day to get.

The lottery system pisses me off, but just because I'm never lucky! I also don't get to travel all over the place every tour and see the band multiple times. Maybe I'm being naive...but I might be bringing some special brownies if that will help win me any good favor with my line buddies ;)
    No time to be void or save up on life...you've got to spend it all.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,552
    I don't want any part of any list. I am totally willing and prepared to sit in line all day for a chance at the rail in Philly. I have never had the opportunity to be up close at a Pearl Jam show, and I figure this may be my one and only chance. I hope that I'll make friends with the people next to me, and that they'll be cool with the fact that my husband won't be able to join me until later. I'll have food/beverages with me and will only have to leave line to pee (I can hold it for a pretty long time - and I have a Go Girl to make it easier ;) I understand the possibility that there may be multiple entrances and others may get in line later and get the same chance at the rail as me...but don't try to tell me you were on some list and therefore deserve the spot that I waited all day to get.

The lottery system pisses me off, but just because I'm never lucky! I also don't get to travel all over the place every tour and see the band multiple times. Maybe I'm being naive...but I might be bringing some special brownies if that will help win me any good favor with my line buddies ;)
    Oh no, your husband can't join you until way later? get ready for a shit storm when he gets in line - those who think they make the rules say you can't hold a spot like that - doesn't matter if your husband has to perform emergency heart surgery before the show. You have to suffer and put in the time to get the rail!. ;) :roll:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    BoltOfLightnin'BoltOfLightnin' South Jersey Posts: 708
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Oh no, your husband can't join you until way later? get ready for a shit storm when he gets in line - those who think they make the rules say you can't hold a spot like that - doesn't matter if your husband has to perform emergency heart surgery before the show. You have to suffer and put in the time to get the rail!. ;) :roll:

That really sucks that people have to act like that...I mean I could see getting pissed if I let like 5 of my friends cut in line...whatever. Let the shit storm begin...I will stand my ground and keep my cool. Assholes can suck it!
    No time to be void or save up on life...you've got to spend it all.
  • Options
    crazygeocrazygeo Posts: 2,374
    Post still hasn't been shut down
    Wow
    What is the waiting for
    Sounds like a
    RIOT ACT.....to me

Ps I don't get it
    Lousy sound. Pushing. Piss floor. Hard to get back. Wait in line all day?

I'll see you right up front, if I am in the mood
    My time no wait, party drinking = No rules in Pit
    • 1991-11-17• 1998-08-28 •2000-09-01
    • 2003-07-05• 2004-10-01
    • 2005-10-03• 2006-05-27
    • 2008-06-19• 2009-10-27 2009-10-28 •2009-10-30
    • 2009-10-31

*Tres Mts 2011-03-23
    *Eddie Vedder 2011-06-25
    - 2013-10-21
    - 2013=10-22
    -2016 -04-28
    -2016 -04-29
  • Options
    To those that were there: How was the GA line wait experience in Brooklyn? Philly? List mongers? Marker mongers wanting to write on your hand? Abusers coming and going as they please? Was there one GA entrance designated by 10Club at both venues?
    1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    around 100 people at GA line at 1pm local time for philly 2
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    Just seen the line for Hartford :shock: :shock:
    3.45am and growing already.....

:shock: :shock: :shock:
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Just seen the line for Hartford :shock: :shock:
    3.45am and growing already.....

:shock: :shock: :shock:
    lol..oh yeah..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    hardcore

and keeping it real....

the line started at 2am......
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    hardcore

and keeping it real....

u knmow there are those italians around,right..lol
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    hardcore

and keeping it real....

The Italians were nowhere to be seen ;):lol:
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:
    hardcore

and keeping it real....

The Italians were nowhere to be seen ;):lol:
    yet..hehehe
  • Options
    kc007kc007 USA Posts: 282
    here is my 2cents...

Worcester 1 was my very first PJ show! I arrived and started to wait in line at about 2pm, having no expectations of being on the rail. I was #70. The only time I left the line for any extended amount of time was to go and get my 10c tickets, which also had a line. My ticket buddy (aka husband) waited in the GA line to hold our spot while I went to get the 10c tickets, which took about an hour because the line was so long and they didn't actually open the line and get it moving until closer to 3pm. Also, while I was in the 10c ticket line, the venue moved the GA line to another door. From what I heard, everyone was respectful and moved to the new door/entrance in an orderly fashion.

We lucked out, we had some wonderful people waiting in line around us who were totally cool with people taking a break and no one to my knowledge abused the breaks. It seemed that if people left, they left one person to hold their spot in line, and everyone was cool about people taking breaks here and there.

The day actually flew by. I met this one gal and we stepped across the street so she could grab a quick bite to eat. Our husbands held our places in line and no one said anything about us taking a quick break. Everyone managed to eat, grab a cocktail and use the facilities before show time and there were no issues. I have no problem looking out for the person ahead of me in line or directly behind me in line when it comes to taking a quick break. I also did notice that many people who arrived later in the day got right up front without having to wait in line all day. I could have had the end of the rail, but opted to be front and center in 2nd row so I could see everything.

All in all I thought it was a overall enjoyable day waiting in line! Someone was cranking PJ on their portable iPod and everyone seemed happy and excited for the show!

Again, I stress that I had no expectations. This was all new to me and had no idea what to expect. I managed to find myself 2nd row front and center in GA. And I would do it all over again. I think the key is to realize if you are kind/respectful to those around you, and keep your expectations low, you are in for a good night. The line is all part of the GA experience, IMHO. Some people don't have the flexibility with their time/schedule to wait in line and some do. I have GA for two more shows and yes, I will wait in line (for at least one more show), its totally worth it and I don't drink, so partying before hand is not a concern for me. I ate early in the day ( a good protein filled meal), kept super-hydrated the day before and was physically ready to wait in line, stand for hours and then rock out during the show. I work out 5 days a week, so rocking out at a PJ show was not that taxing on me physically. I am also in the over 40 crowd.

Hope this helps anyone thinking about the line... its all what you make of it. I had just has much fun in line as I did at the show. But then again, I could have fun anywhere... that's just how I roll... :corn:
  • Options
    KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    So I've been seeing pics of people with numbered hands all over FB. Some had waited in line from early in the morning, some strolled in late afternoon and some showed just before show time, but oh yes there were numbers. Unsure of any list. The interesting thing is that those who came in later ended up on rail or within 2 deep of the rail.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Options
    kc007kc007 USA Posts: 282
    So I've been seeing pics of people with numbered hands all over FB. Some had waited in line from early in the morning, some strolled in late afternoon and some showed just before show time, but oh yes there were numbers. Unsure of any list. The interesting thing is that those who came in later ended up on rail or within 2 deep of the rail.

My line had a list. Whether or not anyone really honored their number in line is another factor. One thing I will point out is when I waited in line, they separated the men and women into two lines for a pat down and purse check as they opened the GA entrance. I was immediately bumped up to be allowed through check point sooner than my hubby. So I got to the pit quicker than him, and I was not taking any smack talk from anyone when I called my husband to join me in that position in 2nd row. I had waited and so did he. If anyone got mad, not my problem. But everyone was cool. and I also allowed someone to muscle their way up through the crowd to be with their partner, so it was all good.

Edit to add, because of this, some females may have been bumped up closer to the front of the line because there were more males than females in line and the female checkpoint was going faster.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    I was in the "line" for Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 and Brooklyn 2. Also at Wrigley. Met some of the most wonderful people. The whole purpose of the numbering/list system is to maintain some order of people who are going to show up early to try to get as close as possible. It's not some sort of secret society where people get to "hold" their spot, and it shouldn't really concern anyone who's not interested in investing time and energy in getting as close to the rail as possible.

The people around me were all super respectful, and we all made sure everyone knew when we were leaving for a little while. The only times most of us left was to use the bathroom, get food, etc. Will there be people who abuse the system? For sure and shame on them, but I think the good outweighs the bad. Absent of a system, there would be a lot more anxiety.

I think Pitt and Buffalo didn't have a designated GA entrance, so those shows had people show up much later and get to the rail, but for Brooklyn and Worcester, most people went in through one entrance. I did hear of others getting closer without lining up from other entrances for Worcester and Brooklyn, but they were taking a chance entering through another door because security assured us that there was only one GA entrance that was getting let in early/on time.
  • Options
    From previous posts:
    "eat, grab a cocktail"
    "left for a "little while"

That's what this discussion is all about. What's fair in an amount of time away to do what's so innocently written here, and when does it become a bit abusive? Either you're in line waiting for what's worth waiting for, or you're not. Off to do what you want does not equate to waiting. We all know waiting sucks. Yes we all know you can make the wait as pleasurable as possible to ease its suckiness. But is going off "for a little while", and "quick bite to eat", honorably considered waiting? What do people think? I just think that the list makes people abusive of being off doing whatever they please rather than putting in the wait time. Then they get to return to their saved spot because they're on the list. I just think there shouldn't be a list because it just ends up enabling people to get out of the actual true waiting in line.
    1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
  • Options
    From previous posts:
    "eat, grab a cocktail"

That's what this discussion is all about. What's fair in an amount of time away to do what's so innocently written here, and when does it become a bit abusive? Either you're in line waiting for what's worth waiting for, or you're not. Off to do what you want does not equate to waiting. We all know waiting sucks. Yes we all know you can make the wait as pleasurable as possible to ease its suckiness. But is going off "for a little while", and "quick bite to eat", honorably considered waiting? What do people think? I just think that the list makes people abusive of being off doing whatever they please rather than putting in the wait time. Then they get to return to their saved spot because they're on the list. I just think there shouldn't be a list because it just ends up enabling people to get out of the actual true waiting in line.
    I think it is totally fine for people to take breaks from the line to get something to eat or grab a quick drink. The people who don't like that might feel less Grinchy about it if they also went and took a load off for a bit and had a drink! Maybe it would relax them! ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    From previous posts:
    "eat, grab a cocktail"

I think it is totally fine for people to take breaks from the line to get something to eat or grab a quick drink. The people who don't like that might feel less Grinchy about it if they also went and took a load off for a bit and had a drink! Maybe it would relax them! ;)

Yes, but alas, there are too many that are off for way too long. Is it waiting in line, or is it your name is on a list at the line? People do get worked up when they're waiting their asses of for 10+ hours and watching those ahead of them who eventually get better spots all while being off enjoying their day due to their spot on the list.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I think the "code" should be:
    People are considered pairs and at least one must be in line at all times.

Alone? pack a sandwich, and bathroom breaks only
  • Options
    From previous posts:
    "eat, grab a cocktail"

Are you asking because you've been in line and felt like you've been wronged? A theoretical discussion about this does not work. Every line is different and there are no rules. As long as everyone is acting in good faith and takes into consideration those immediately around them, the line works just fine. There will be people who abuse the line, but whatever. They will get it back in bad karma. Every GA line I've been in has been more than fine, and the US ones this year have all been fantastic. No complaints from me.
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I think the "code" should be:
    People are considered pairs and at least one must be in line at all times.

Alone? pack a sandwich, and bathroom breaks only
    That I would agree with (although running to buy something from a passing food truck or a bottle of water or something should be okay too, as well as going to pick up your tix, because there really is no other option there).
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    Suziemay wrote:
    I was in the "line" for Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 and Brooklyn 2. Also at Wrigley. Met some of the most wonderful people. The whole purpose of the numbering/list system is to maintain some order of people who are going to show up early to try to get as close as possible. It's not some sort of secret society where people get to "hold" their spot, and it shouldn't really concern anyone who's not interested in investing time and energy in getting as close to the rail as possible.

The people around me were all super respectful, and we all made sure everyone knew when we were leaving for a little while. The only times most of us left was to use the bathroom, get food, etc. Will there be people who abuse the system? For sure and shame on them, but I think the good outweighs the bad. Absent of a system, there would be a lot more anxiety.

I think Pitt and Buffalo didn't have a designated GA entrance, so those shows had people show up much later and get to the rail, but for Brooklyn and Worcester, most people went in through one entrance. I did hear of others getting closer without lining up from other entrances for Worcester and Brooklyn, but they were taking a chance entering through another door because security assured us that there was only one GA entrance that was getting let in early/on time.

Amen.

I don't know what you're imagining here, but it's not like the secret line club meets at 8 am, has its evil little gathering, and disappears until 5 pm to claim their list spot back from everyone else. You hang out with those people, you see who's here and who isn't, and nobody's making a scene if you go to get food or water (you want clear estimates on how long that will take and what is allowed? depends on the venue and the area - take berlin last year, venue at least a 20 min walk away from the nearest food/drink/bathroom possibility at the subway station, nothing else around, excessive heat, people will take longer to go there and back. opposite example prague, with a mall right next to it, nice temperatures, a 10 min break will do). you all see the situation, you talk, you figure things out. it's not the illuminati or whatever else you want to make it out to be.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    I think there are a group of connected folks who work together and call themselves 'friends.' :lol:
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    LD_and happyLD_and happy Portland, OR Posts: 107
    crazygeo wrote:
    Re: THE LINE & "THE LIST"

Unread postby on2legs » 17 Oct 2013 19:16

CanNotStay wrote:I don't care at all if people want to line because they think it will help them get closer. I do care if someone feels entitled to someones spot because they have a number on their hand or they didn't see the guy in line. Everyones GA ticket is the same, no one has an assigned spot.

YOU CANNOT ENFORCE A RULE THAT YOU NEVER HAD THE AUTHORITY TO CREATE!!!

How do people not understand this?

^^^^^^ Amen.

If I could pick one thread to delete from the boards it would be this one hands down. The foul stench of entitlement is overpowering.
    = RIGHT ON THE MONEY

AMEN: When you are in GA PIT equals "Wherever I may ROAM"....go where you want, everyone have FUN, they are not going to bring you onstage like Courtney Cox in a Bruce video :lol:

shut this down :corn:
    Well, at least show respect and kindness to your fellow Jammer.
    I must admit I am a little anxious about the upcoming GA situation - but so excited to see my boys it will all be good!!!!!
  • Options
    crazygeo wrote:
    Re: THE LINE & "THE LIST"

Unread postby on2legs » 17 Oct 2013 19:16

CanNotStay wrote:I don't care at all if people want to line because they think it will help them get closer. I do care if someone feels entitled to someones spot because they have a number on their hand or they didn't see the guy in line. Everyones GA ticket is the same, no one has an assigned spot.

YOU CANNOT ENFORCE A RULE THAT YOU NEVER HAD THE AUTHORITY TO CREATE!!!

How do people not understand this?

^^^^^^ Amen.

If I could pick one thread to delete from the boards it would be this one hands down. The foul stench of entitlement is overpowering.
    = RIGHT ON THE MONEY

AMEN: When you are in GA PIT equals "Wherever I may ROAM"....go where you want, everyone have FUN, they are not going to bring you onstage like Courtney Cox in a Bruce video :lol:

shut this down :corn:
    Well, at least show respect and kindness to your fellow Jammer.
    I must admit I am a little anxious about the upcoming GA situation - but so excited to see my boys it will all be good!!!!!
    Don't be anxious. I had the exact same reaction after reading this or a similar thread before GA in Missoula. This thread has NOTHING to do with what it's actually like in person, which is basically simple and natural. I actually find this thread to be fear mongering to be honest!
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:
    From previous posts:
    "eat, grab a cocktail"

Are you asking because you've been in line and felt like you've been wronged? A theoretical discussion about this does not work. Every line is different and there are no rules. As long as everyone is acting in good faith and takes into consideration those immediately around them, the line works just fine. There will be people who abuse the line, but whatever. They will get it back in bad karma. Every GA line I've been in has been more than fine, and the US ones this year have all been fantastic. No complaints from me.

I've been involved in both, good and bad. The ones where fans have put themselves in control having arrived earliest using their own lists are the lines that I've seen the most abuse from. These lines have people farther back that get to watch some of those on the list who feel that it allows them to come and go all day rather than put in the true wait.
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:
    From previous posts:
    "eat, grab a cocktail"

I've been involved in both, good and bad. The ones where fans have put themselves in control having arrived earliest using their own lists are the lines that I've seen the most abuse from. These lines have people farther back that get to watch some of those on the list who feel that it allows them to come and go all day rather than put in the true wait.
    Which PJ tour did you experience the bad lines?