Options

Edit: Mayor Rob Ford admits to smoking crack

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    read this post again: HE WAS HIGH FUNCTIONING UP UNTIL THE STORY BROKE. I'm not talking about "since" when all of a sudden people have been distancing themselves from him. BEFORE that.

no ... he was definitely not high functioning ... he is what they call a "train wreck" ... you have to factor in that a) he was busted for pot and dui in florida while he was a councillor and that his staff is made up of a lot of people he knew that he knew would be loyal to him ... you also have to factor in that he doesn't do a whole lot for the city except embarrass it ...

also - despite what some may think of city council ... they are not as adversarial as some may think ... councillors from all political positions will meet for drinks and for the most part - the city has operated well the past few years because of the willingness of council to put the city first ... on this note - many of these councillors have privately asked the mayor to seek help because his behaviour is well known amongst people who work close to him ... it's just that now that the story has blown apart that these revelations are known to the public ...
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Like I said I'll wait and see what Polaris or fife has to say on if he's high functioning or not. He might have been functioning at one time ... But wasn't one of his big election promises to get rid of the land transfer tax, I believe it's still in place. I don't follow TO politics closely enough to know how much of a functioning mayor he is. Also just so you know I do not consider ANY politician or MANAGERS in government high functioning people, these people leach off the productivity of other people. So barking at me and trying to convince me that Rob Ford is high functioning is an extremely moot point with me.

So we'll just have to agree to disagree on this subject.

not coming through on campaign promises is not the definition of not being a functioning person.

ok, so now we know you have a bias towards all politicians, I guess yes, we can call this point moot.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I'm hopeful Polaris and fife will pop in and inform me or us about how much Rob Ford has been doing. I'm under the impression he has been mayor in name only for a while.

i mentioned this early in the thread ... he had some wins early on his tenure (garbage privatization) but i believe transit was the issue where he started losing his allies ... i think about a year into his term - he basically started losing all his votes ... like i said, council has been running the city for some time now ... the one thing that people don't recognize, especially his supporters, is that he didn't actually come to work that often ... he is the first mayor to not provide his schedule to the public ... it's all marked with private appts ... and now, we know what some of those appts are ... if you read the second set of documents released ... a lot of the surveillance on ford was done during supposed work hours ...

the man is a moron, has a substance abuse issue and is a perpetual liar ... pretty much all the bs he spews in news conferences are lies ... his "record" is shadier than your average online dating profile ...

Council will be stripping him of even more powers today. So he'll just be collecting a pay check and doing less than before, well he show up to council meetings to make an ass out of himself. The good news is the latest poll had him losing.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Like I said I'll wait and see what Polaris or fife has to say on if he's high functioning or not. He might have been functioning at one time ... But wasn't one of his big election promises to get rid of the land transfer tax, I believe it's still in place. I don't follow TO politics closely enough to know how much of a functioning mayor he is. Also just so you know I do not consider ANY politician or MANAGERS in government high functioning people, these people leach off the productivity of other people. So barking at me and trying to convince me that Rob Ford is high functioning is an extremely moot point with me.

So we'll just have to agree to disagree on this subject.

not coming through on campaign promises is not the definition of not being a functioning person.

ok, so now we know you have a bias towards all politicians, I guess yes, we can call this point moot.

I'm not a big fan of politicians or government in general. It seems politicians and mangers in the government no longer care about accountability. They would all rather hire there incompetent friends and family members than seek out the best for each job ... and IMO is why we are in such a sad state of affairs.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Council will be stripping him of even more powers today. So he'll just be collecting a pay check and doing less than before, well he show up to council meetings to make an ass out of himself. The good news is the latest poll had him losing.

also ... like i said before - we just need to get to the next election ... norm kelly is our new defacto mayor ...
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    This guy is a gold mine for journalists and tabloid rags. Why won't he shut the fuck up for 10 minutes? I find him to be very entertaining.
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I'm hopeful Polaris and fife will pop in and inform me or us about how much Rob Ford has been doing. I'm under the impression he has been mayor in name only for a while.

Ford started off with some wins in the city counsel but if you look at his record in the past 2 years he has not passed anything. he lost out on public transportation. one of his main jobs to is to preside over (chairs) meetings of council so that its business can be carried out efficiently and effectively. Rob ford misses most of these meeting. I used to have a record of how many motions he has put up but can't seem to find it now.

the other main job of the mayor is to provide leadership to counsel. again Rob Ford (even tho he claims to always be at work) doesn't go to the majority of counsel meeting. Counsel has taken to call all the agenda pieces which the mayor is supposed to work on.

I can't say that he has been Mayor in name only but I can say that he doesn't have the backing of most city counselor which is needed in order to do anything. City Counsel is the group who has passed most by-lawys.
  • Options
    so ... mr. honest mayor ... went and hired a new assistant and gave raises to his cronies right before they cut his budget ... :fp: :fp: ... yet another thing that will be overlooked by ford nashun
  • Options
    Reporter's notebook: In the heart of Ford Nation with Toronto's embattled mayor

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/18/world/wei ... index.html

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

• Options
    the fords want to call a snap election on the mayor ...

altercation broke out today and ford ran over a female councillor giving her a swollen lip ...
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    ROB FORD FOR PRIME MINISTER

http://video.foxnews.com/v/284890807000 ... -minister/

Forgive me for the Fox news link.
  • Options
    fife wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Ford started off with some wins in the city counsel but if you look at his record in the past 2 years he has not passed anything. he lost out on public transportation. one of his main jobs to is to preside over (chairs) meetings of council so that its business can be carried out efficiently and effectively. Rob ford misses most of these meeting. I used to have a record of how many motions he has put up but can't seem to find it now.

the other main job of the mayor is to provide leadership to counsel. again Rob Ford (even tho he claims to always be at work) doesn't go to the majority of counsel meeting. Counsel has taken to call all the agenda pieces which the mayor is supposed to work on.

I can't say that he has been Mayor in name only but I can say that he doesn't have the backing of most city counselor which is needed in order to do anything. City Counsel is the group who has passed most by-lawys.

thanks for your insight ...

• Options
    dignin wrote:
    ROB FORD FOR PRIME MINISTER

http://video.foxnews.com/v/284890807000 ... -minister/

Forgive me for the Fox news link.

:lol::lol::lol:

Could you imagine ...

• Options
    For those that skip Grantland during your morning surf, more Ford inspired comedy...

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/83032/about-last-night-cat-scratch-fever

"In a battle of hockey teams from Canadian cities that Rob Ford does not preside over, the Calgary Flames registered a 5-4 shootout win over the Winnipeg Jets. "It's good to draw the world's attention away from that buffoon, and back toward the unknown greatness of Canada," Flames rookie Sean Monahan said after the game. "I mean, we're not just crack smoking and morbid obesity up here. We also play hockey quite well." When asked if there were any other unknown great things about Canada, Monahan replied, "Sure, sure, we play hockey quite well. Quite well. Did I say that already? Hmmm. Rick Moranis? Also, we're very good at hockey."
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    fife wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

thanks for your insight ...

here is an interesting article.

http://metronews.ca/voices/ford-for-tor ... -be-mayor/
  • Options
    again - the real story here isn't the Fords ... it's the people who continue to support them ...

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canada-p ... 45739.html
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    again - the real story here isn't the Fords ... it's the people who continue to support them ...

Rick Mercer's great

• Options
    polaris_x wrote:

I don't know if people are supporting ford as much as they are not liking anyone else. right now 20% of the people would vote for him. Ford and co have done a good job in selling to the public that they have done anything and that it is the big bad left-wing media and the pinko in council who are going to raise taxes.

the truth is that he has raise taxes and also increased user fees for the public.

I can still see a right-wing leaning mayor winning the next election to be honest.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    lukin2006 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

Rick Mercer's great
    Loooooove Rick Mercer!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    fife wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

I don't know if people are supporting ford as much as they are not liking anyone else. right now 20% of the people would vote for him. Ford and co have done a good job in selling to the public that they have done anything and that it is the big bad left-wing media and the pinko in council who are going to raise taxes.

the truth is that he has raise taxes and also increased user fees for the public.

I can still see a right-wing leaning mayor winning the next election to be honest.
    I saw that woman who ran against him I guess on Pieres Morgan last night..... She seems like a real idiot. It actually made me feel a little less perplexed about why Ford has more support that one might think.

Piers Morgan also said something along the lines of "I'm just shocked... Rob Ford just managed to walk from his office to his car without doing something totally insane! Very impressive!" :lol: He also called him the gift that keeps on giving as far as the media is concerned. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    fife wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

I saw that woman who ran against him I guess on Pieres Morgan last night..... She seems like a real idiot. It actually made me feel a little less perplexed about why Ford has more support that one might think.

Piers Morgan also said something along the lines of "I'm just shocked... Rob Ford just managed to walk from his office to his car without doing something totally insane! Very impressive!" :lol: He also called him the gift that keeps on giving as far as the media is concerned. :lol:

oh yes sarah Thompson is in idiot. I still say you have about 3 people who if they run would beat Ford easily. I think the main thing is that City counsel can't do anything stupid which sometimes they do.

as for Ford, hell i guess he did enough stupid things at counsel yesterday anyway. maybe he was tired on the walk to his car.
  • Options
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/r ... -1.2431946

somewhat good article on the cbc today based on their interview with Rob Ford. why is his brother always with him. also was this not the same brother who said that his brother needs help?

I can see the 2 brother trying to become the palins of Canadian politics. become a big mouth with a following and make a shit load of money on TV or radio,
  • Options
    fife wrote:

well ... supporting ford is based on their ability to make voters hate the other "guys" ... so, it's kind of one and the same ...

in any case - his support level is still way too high for what he has done and what he hasn't done (like actually work) ...
  • Options
    MAY3294-770x595.jpg

• Options
    Apparently his TV talk show was cancelled after one episode because "Ford Nation was too hard to control," whatever that means.... I guess the crazies came out of the woodwork for it? Not sure what actually happened. However, the station got its highest ratings ever on that one episode.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Apparently his TV talk show was cancelled after one episode because "Ford Nation was too hard to control," whatever that means.... I guess the crazies came out of the woodwork for it? Not sure what actually happened. However, the station got its highest ratings ever on that one episode.

you heard different6 reports on that one. the ford camp said that it ws supposed to be a one time thing but sun TV said it was cancelled. apparently having one camera was too expensive for sun tv.
  • Options
    Ron Burgundy Sings Mayor Rob Ford's Campaign Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhhpz9pKyj8

Jon Stewart takedown of Mayor Rob Ford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYjwEI4QxI4

• Options

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol: Starring the late Chris Farley. That is hilarious. But Chris Farley is WAY better looking than Rob Ford!
  • Options
    Hello,
    I'm a proud Canadian and I just want to say how much this Mayor Ford scandal sickens me. There are things going on up here in Canada that deserve way more attention then a Mayor smoking crack.

- NORTHERN GATEWAY PIPELINE. (That threatens the province of British Columbia and the North West)
    - P.M. Steven Harpers deregulation of science programs that in turn allows foreign oil and gas companies to come in rape and destroy Canada.

So don't let this diversion in tabloid news fool you as to what's really going on in The Great White North.

Thanks Bricer