Options

Edit: Mayor Rob Ford admits to smoking crack

Comments

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Sounds like an intervention is in order. Polaris and fife? ;)
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    lukin2006 wrote:

the sad part is that I work in a non-profit in Toronto where I deal with people who have addiction issues and mental health issues among other things. this mayor has been the worse mayor I have ever seen. he cuts funding for addictions in Toronto and talks about being a no bullshit guy against drugs and gangs and yet he doesn't even follow his own bullshit.

he is so far gone now and past the point of being serious. I just feel sad for his kids.
  • Options
    fife wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

the sad part is that I work in a non-profit in Toronto where I deal with people who have addiction issues and mental health issues among other things. this mayor has been the worse mayor I have ever seen. he cuts funding for addictions in Toronto and talks about being a no bullshit guy against drugs and gangs and yet he doesn't even follow his own bullshit.

he is so far gone now and past the point of being serious. I just feel sad for his kids.

He appears to close to hitting rock bottom ... And for some that what it takes to seek help.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    lukin2006 wrote:
    fife wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

He appears to close to hitting rock bottom ... And for some that what it takes to seek help.
    He's the mayor of Toronto... how is he even close to hitting bottom? Wouodn't that be when he loses his job, his wife leaves him, he's broke, etc? The dude just landed a TV show. He has a LOT more spiraling to do before hitting rock bottom!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,766
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    fife wrote:

He's the mayor of Toronto... how is he even close to hitting bottom? Wouodn't that be when he loses his job, his wife leaves him, he's broke, etc? The dude just landed a TV show. He has a LOT more spiraling to do before hitting rock bottom!
    sometimes the bottom hits you and sometimes you decide you've dug far enough down and put the shovel down. Some people dont care what kind of attention they get as long as they get it.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

yeah, I don't get all this "addict" and "he needs help" shit either. he's a high functioning politician of one of the biggest cities in the world. I don't think he's even close to hitting rock bottom.

he's a fucking doofus, but a crack addict, he ain't.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Have you seen his press conference's? He's elected ... As of now there is no way to remove him or I'm pretty sure he'd be out of office. But to call him high functioning is a little over doing it ... Polaris has been saying for quite some time that he is mayor in name only, and they pretty much made him a figure head today, my guess is that's unprecedented ... So how is that not getting close to rock bottom? He's being stripped of all his power, an embarrassment to himsel and Toronto, making negative headlines in the USA, in a country that barely knows we exist, it appears he has only 1-2 allies left on council, and a new poll has him not getting re-elected.

If this was a CEO of a corporation ... He'd have been fired long ago, the ONLY reason he's still mayor is quite simply the tools to REMOVE him from office aren't in place YET.

And he has addiction issues ... That's obvious to anyone.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Have you seen his press conference's? He's elected ... As of now there is no way to remove him or I'm pretty sure he'd be out of office. But to call him high functioning is a little over doing it ... Polaris has been saying for quite some time that he is mayor in name only, and they pretty much made him a figure head today, my guess is that's unprecedented ... So how is that not getting close to rock bottom? He's being stripped of all his power, an embarrassment to himsel and Toronto, making negative headlines in the USA, in a country that barely knows we exist, it appears he has only 1-2 allies left on council, and a new poll has him not getting re-elected.

If this was a CEO of a corporation ... He'd have been fired long ago, the ONLY reason he's still mayor is quite simply the tools to REMOVE him from office aren't in place YET.

I know people with addiction issues. they barely function in life at all, never mind being the mayor of millions. I don't care if now he's mayor in name only; when that video was made, he wasn't. he was high functioning. that's not the way it works with addicts.

of course he would have been fired. there should be a way to get rid of him. but there isn't. that's not the issue we're talking about. being publicly disgraced is not the same as hitting rock bottom. if you knew my brother in law, you'd know THAT is hitting rock bottom. Rob Ford seems to do quite well for himself, especially considering everything.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

I know people with addiction issues. they barely function in life at all, never mind being the mayor of millions. I don't care if now he's mayor in name only; when that video was made, he wasn't. he was high functioning. that's not the way it works with addicts.

of course he would have been fired. there should be a way to get rid of him. but there isn't. that's not the issue we're talking about. being publicly disgraced is not the same as hitting rock bottom. if you knew my brother in law, you'd know THAT is hitting rock bottom. Rob Ford seems to do quite well for himself, especially considering everything.

How do you figure he is high functioning? Just because he is a mayor? He does nothing, this past week he was extremely vulgar, discusting and offensive.

Actually many addicts do function quite well, some do a better job at hiding it, but many do function ...

• Options
    I think the guy is an alcoholic (not a crack addict) and nowhere near rock bottom. Not even remotely close to it. The man still has friends in high places, money, a big loyal following, a family that is still supportive of him as much as they can be while on display, he lives in a nice house, just got a TV show, and is still the mayor of Toronto. Even if he was driven out of office or decided to resign he'd still be light years from rock bottom. Anyone who thinks he's nearing rock bottom in the context of addiction doesn't understand the meaning of the term at all. Christ, it's even still conceivable that he could get reelected because of cocksucking Ford Nation! Stranger things have happened!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I smoked crack once, before going out on a first date with a girl.

But that's another story.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I smoked crack once, before going out on a first date with a girl.

But that's another story.
    :corn: :lol:
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

How do you figure he is high functioning? Just because he is a mayor? He does nothing, this past week he was extremely vulgar, discusting and offensive.

Actually many addicts do function quite well, some do a better job at hiding it, but many do function ...
    yep, those with more to lose tend to work that much harder to keep it. Where as someone like myself back when, didnt have a pot to piss in So I didnt really care.

Takes all kinds Hugh. many different walks of life. It does a disservice to compare "bottoms" .

Addicted or not, the behavior thats come to light in no way is appropriate representation of the city and for that reason alone he should step down as it continues. Seriously? "I didnt eat her pussy, I get enough to eat at home" is how the city needs represented?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    lukin2006 wrote:
    ... but he's still getting paid, thats the sad part of this ordeal now. He knows he has no official power, probably been that way for a while, yet he's getting paid :? :? :?. And in my opinion all the provincial government has to do is introduce right to recall legislation ASAP, get it passed ASAP and let the voters of Toronto recall this guy ... IMO ... I do not understand what is wrong with giving the voters the right to recall rogue politicians?

I do agree with you that he needs out, but there are some pitfalls to recall legislation.

If you have the time check this out. You have to skip ahead to the second clip. Sorry, my Google skills are weak so I don't know how to link directly to the relevant clip.

http://www.thecomedynetwork.ca/shows/th ... age=140989
  • Options
    dignin wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    ... but he's still getting paid, thats the sad part of this ordeal now. He knows he has no official power, probably been that way for a while, yet he's getting paid :? :? :?. And in my opinion all the provincial government has to do is introduce right to recall legislation ASAP, get it passed ASAP and let the voters of Toronto recall this guy ... IMO ... I do not understand what is wrong with giving the voters the right to recall rogue politicians?

I do agree with you that he needs out, but there are some pitfalls to recall legislation.

If you have the time check this out. You have to skip ahead to the second clip. Sorry, my Google skills are weak so I don't know how to link directly to the relevant clip.

http://www.thecomedynetwork.ca/shows/th ... age=140989

Unless he resigns I see no where are you! he leaves ... thats why we need recall legislation ... personally if all the provincial parties work together then I think they could draft recall legislation that covers a lll politicians. I highly doubt if the legislation is done right it would not leave it open to abuse by voters.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

the video, as I have said before, of him smoking crack was not taken in the last week. obviously he's useless at the moment with everything being about the "scandal". But before everyone heard about this video, he was still an average joe that none of his co workers pegged as an addict.

if he really was, I find it next to impossible that people around him, nor the media, picked up on it.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    yep, those with more to lose tend to work that much harder to keep it. Where as someone like myself back when, didnt have a pot to piss in So I didnt really care.

Takes all kinds Hugh. many different walks of life. It does a disservice to compare "bottoms" .

Addicted or not, the behavior thats come to light in no way is appropriate representation of the city and for that reason alone he should step down as it continues. Seriously? "I didnt eat her pussy, I get enough to eat at home" is how the city needs represented?

of course he's a blooming idiot. doesn't make him a crack addict. have you ever known anyone to be a crack addict at the same time as:

1) weighing 400 pounds
    2) being a current high ranking politician

I'm guessing not.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    have you ever known anyone to be a crack addict at the same time as:

1) weighing 400 pounds

I'm guessing not.
    Baron Vladimar Haekonnen would come close ...

30-faces-evil-curiosity-gallery-27.jpg
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

the video, as I have said before, of him smoking crack was not taken in the last week. obviously he's useless at the moment with everything being about the "scandal". But before everyone heard about this video, he was still an average joe that none of his co workers pegged as an addict.

if he really was, I find it next to impossible that people around him, nor the media, picked up on it.

All I've said is he's likely an addict, whether it's crack or alcohol.

But he's not high functioning ... he's a politician who can't be fired because no laws exist for his removal. People have abandoned him left and right, it appears the only people he has left in his life are his family and I would suspect they'd never abandon him.

• Options
    mickeyrat wrote:

of course he's a blooming idiot. doesn't make him a crack addict. have you ever known anyone to be a crack addict at the same time as:

1) weighing 400 pounds

I'm guessing not.
    Marion Berry Mayor Washington DC. Not 400 lbs but still.......

The crack use aside, he admits he bought illegal drugs(even once is too many in that position) he speaks of being "hammered" etc in describing some incidents of drinking like some fratboy or teenager. Paints Toronto in a bad light from where I sit. Not that that means much in the grand scheme of things.

• Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

1) weighing 400 pounds

I'm guessing not.

The crack use aside, he admits he bought illegal drugs(even once is too many in that position) he speaks of being "hammered" etc in describing some incidents of drinking like some fratboy or teenager. Paints Toronto in a bad light from where I sit. Not that that means much in the grand scheme of things.

This past week he admitted to drinking to driving ...

• Options
    I'm hopeful Polaris and fife will pop in and inform me or us about how much Rob Ford has been doing. I'm under the impression he has been mayor in name only for a while.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

But he's not high functioning ... he's a politician who can't be fired because no laws exist for his removal. People have abandoned him left and right, it appears the only people he has left in his life are his family and I would suspect they'd never abandon him.
    I would definitely call him a high functioning alcoholic. He gets up and goes to work everyday and speaks to people in the public eye and does public appearances and drives. If he is an alcoholic he is a high functioning one. And yeah, he's clearly not a crack addict. Have you ever seen one?? You can tell! 90% of people who do crack use it recreationally. Only about 10% of people who ever try it actually become addicts. It's about the same with most other hard drugs. Just because you do a drug itndoesn't automatically make you an addict.
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

1) weighing 400 pounds

I'm guessing not.

This past week he admitted to drinking to driving ...
    That guy has been drinking and driving since he was 16 years old. I think it's a family tradition.
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I'm hopeful Polaris and fife will pop in and inform me or us about how much Rob Ford has been doing. I'm under the impression he has been mayor in name only for a while.
    Pretty sure that's not true.
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

read this post again: HE WAS HIGH FUNCTIONING UP UNTIL THE STORY BROKE. I'm not talking about "since" when all of a sudden people have been distancing themselves from him. BEFORE that.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

read this post again: HE WAS HIGH FUNCTIONING UP UNTIL THE STORY BROKE. I'm not talking about "since" when all of a sudden people have been distancing themselves from him. BEFORE that.

Like I said I'll wait and see what Polaris or fife has to say on if he's high functioning or not. He might have been functioning at one time ... But wasn't one of his big election promises to get rid of the land transfer tax, I believe it's still in place. I don't follow TO politics closely enough to know how much of a functioning mayor he is. Also just so you know I do not consider ANY politician or MANAGERS in government high functioning people, these people leach off the productivity of other people. So barking at me and trying to convince me that Rob Ford is high functioning is an extremely moot point with me.

So we'll just have to agree to disagree on this subject.

• Options
    SNL funny stuff ...

Rob Ford sketch ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/11/17 ... lp00000008

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    lukin2006 wrote:

His staffers believed he was an alcoholic before this story broke. According to the interviews they gave to police. It just wasn't public till now.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    lukin2006 wrote:

i mentioned this early in the thread ... he had some wins early on his tenure (garbage privatization) but i believe transit was the issue where he started losing his allies ... i think about a year into his term - he basically started losing all his votes ... like i said, council has been running the city for some time now ... the one thing that people don't recognize, especially his supporters, is that he didn't actually come to work that often ... he is the first mayor to not provide his schedule to the public ... it's all marked with private appts ... and now, we know what some of those appts are ... if you read the second set of documents released ... a lot of the surveillance on ford was done during supposed work hours ...

the man is a moron, has a substance abuse issue and is a perpetual liar ... pretty much all the bs he spews in news conferences are lies ... his "record" is shadier than your average online dating profile ...