Options

Boston Marathon - explosion

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,995
    Wow...I really didn't think the jury would do it. Thought life was more likely.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,341
    Judge could still sentence life though cant he?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Judge could still sentence life though cant he?

Yes, but I don't think it is likely.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Dead man walking.
  • Options
    Well now for the drawn out appeal phase
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    All appeals will take place in higher courts in other places. Seems like a small thing, maybe more symbolic than anything, but he will never set foot in the city of Boston again.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Gues it moves to NY?
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Jason P said:

Dead man walking.

Fitting, Jason - considering Sister Helen Prejean seems to have become his advocate.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Gues it moves to NY?

I don't know for sure. Have heard he himself has been moved to Terre Haute, IN.

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited May 2015
    Real tragedy all around.

Interesting to watch human nature. Bare.

Also how some victims didn't want DP and others did.

So glad the police did a great job and caught these sorry ass humans. We sometime don't give them credit.

Now if we just understand all collateral damage caused by our war mongering.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Jason P said:

Dead man walking.

Fitting, Jason - considering Sister Helen Prejean seems to have become his advocate.
    Seriously?

Has she suffered a head injury? So many worthwhile people to advocate for... and you seek this guy out? I guess for headlines and fame... sure.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

hedonist said:

Jason P said:

Dead man walking.

Seriously?

Has she suffered a head injury? So many worthwhile people to advocate for... and you seek this guy out? I guess for headlines and fame... sure.
    I know, Thirty.

I hadn't realized it before - maybe missed it in one of the many stories of this trial I've read - somehow I hadn't seen that Martin's father had to leave his son as he was dying so he could take care of his little girl who lost her leg.

My god...talk about remorse.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

mickeyrat said:

Gues it moves to NY?

huh. Wonder if he will make his way to Marion Illinois.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    mickeyrat said:

JimmyV said:

mickeyrat said:

Gues it moves to NY?

medium security facility. http://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/tha/index.jsp

might have expected a max security with protective custody isolation units IF he was to be kept silenced about things like his lawyers agreed to.

had the wrong specific prison. both high and medium security at this location.

• Options

hedonist said:

Jason P said:

Dead man walking.

Seriously?

its a DP case. Funny, you think a NUN (non judging of people , only love) who is a STAUNCH advocate AGAINST the dp wouldn't stand to her principles on this.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

JimmyV said:

mickeyrat said:

Gues it moves to NY?

medium security facility. http://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/tha/index.jsp

might have expected a max security with protective custody isolation units IF he was to be kept silenced about things like his lawyers agreed to.
    Terre Haute houses death row inmates for federal crimes. From wiki:

On July 19, 1993, the federal government designated USP Terre Haute as the site where federal death sentences would be carried out, including the establishment of the "Special Confinement Unit," the federal death row for men. The Bureau of Prisons modified USP Terre Haute in 1995 and 1996 so it could house death row functions. On July 13, 1999, the Special Confinement Unit at USP Terre Haute opened, and the BOP transferred male federal death row inmates from other federal prisons and from state prisons to USP Terre Haute.[4] There are currently 58 inmates on death row.[5][6] The federal government chose Terre Haute as the location of the men's death row due to its central location within the United States.[7]

USP Terre Haute houses federal death row. Among those most recently executed at USP Terre Haute were Timothy McVeigh and Juan Raul Garza in 2001, and Louis Jones, Jr., in 2003. McVeigh, who was convicted for his responsibility for the Oklahoma City bombing, was the first prisoner executed by the U.S. Government since the moratorium on the death penalty was lifted in 1976. The method of execution used by the federal government is lethal injection. On May 15, 2015, Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was sentenced to die via lethal injection. [8] His execution will presumably be performed at USP Terre Haute. [9]

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,749
    edited May 2015
    As someone who is strongly against the death penalty, I am disappointed about the sentence (not for the guilty party's own sake). The sentence means that the process will continue for years. The victims will have to keep on dealing with it during all the appeals. If he just had life without parole, chances are they could all start trying to move on from this right now.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Sister Helen testified Tsarnaev should be spared not just because of her beliefs, but because he allegedly told her of his sympathy for the victims and remorse for his crimes. There is legitimate doubt held by many about whether this actually happened or not.

• Options
    JimmyV said:

mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

JimmyV said:

mickeyrat said:

Gues it moves to NY?

Terre Haute houses death row inmates for federal crimes. From wiki:

On July 19, 1993, the federal government designated USP Terre Haute as the site where federal death sentences would be carried out, including the establishment of the "Special Confinement Unit," the federal death row for men. The Bureau of Prisons modified USP Terre Haute in 1995 and 1996 so it could house death row functions. On July 13, 1999, the Special Confinement Unit at USP Terre Haute opened, and the BOP transferred male federal death row inmates from other federal prisons and from state prisons to USP Terre Haute.[4] There are currently 58 inmates on death row.[5][6] The federal government chose Terre Haute as the location of the men's death row due to its central location within the United States.[7]

USP Terre Haute houses federal death row. Among those most recently executed at USP Terre Haute were Timothy McVeigh and Juan Raul Garza in 2001, and Louis Jones, Jr., in 2003. McVeigh, who was convicted for his responsibility for the Oklahoma City bombing, was the first prisoner executed by the U.S. Government since the moratorium on the death penalty was lifted in 1976. The method of execution used by the federal government is lethal injection. On May 15, 2015, Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was sentenced to die via lethal injection. [8] His execution will presumably be performed at USP Terre Haute. [9]

Yeah, I was poking around the BOP website.

• Options
    JimmyV said:

Sister Helen testified Tsarnaev should be spared not just because of her beliefs, but because he allegedly told her of his sympathy for the victims and remorse for his crimes. There is legitimate doubt held by many about whether this actually happened or not.

I only have to go back to his reaction toward the testimony of those directly affected, and his "crying" when his aunt was in court.

Frankly, I don't care if he claims to have sympathy or regret now. Really? Good to know, thanks, and fuck you.

It means nothing and to me, on a tangent with Prejean. He was a cold fucker then, when it all went down. Seems she could put that energy toward a more worthy cause. Unless she honestly has found a sweet repentant little squirrel in Tsarnaev.

Pay for it, as deemed.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

As someine who is strongly against the death penalty, I am disappointed about the sentence (not for the guilty party's own sake). The sentence means that the process will continue for years. The victims will have to keep on dealing with it during all the appeals. If he just had life without parole, chances are they could all start trying to move on from this right now.

Absolutely a valid point. There are victims and families who are on record as feeling that same way. A good friend of mine was running the race that day and got caught in between the two bombs. She walked away OK physically but is struggling with it mentally and emitionally. She echoed a similar sentiment to your point last night.

• Options
    hedonist said:

JimmyV said:

I only have to go back to his reaction toward the testimony of those directly affected, and his "crying" when his aunt was in court.

Frankly, I don't care if he claims to have sympathy or regret now. Really? Good to know, thanks, and fuck you.

It means nothing and to me, on a tangent with Prejean. He was a cold fucker then, when it all went down. Seems she could put that energy toward a more worthy cause. Unless she honestly has found a sweet repentant little squirrel in Tsarnaev.

Pay for it, as deemed.
    Every account from the courtroom is the same. He showed no emotion, he looked at no one on the stand, he did his best to zone out when things got graphic, etc. This was not a kid full of remorse.

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I'm surprised they gave him the death penalty. Hopefully it won't take ten years to get it done. With the no brainers, you should only be allowed one appeal.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

hedonist said:

JimmyV said:

Pay for it, as deemed.
    Every account from the courtroom is the same. He showed no emotion, he looked at no one on the stand, he did his best to zone out when things got graphic, etc. This was not a kid full of remorse.
    not to defend or excuse but isn't it possible that the zone out was to shield himself from the reality of his actions? He certainly wasn't reveling in it was he?

• Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158

I'm surprised they gave him the death penalty. Hopefully it won't take ten years to get it done. With the no brainers, you should only be allowed one appeal.

I don't know - solitary confinement 23 hours a day, with no sunlight, living in that tiny cell, with a concrete slab and a thin mattress for a bed. When he's allowed outside his cell he's handcuffed and shackled. When he's fed, a tray of food is slid through the slot in the door. I like the idea of him living like this for 10 years before he's put down.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

hedonist said:

Jason P said:

Dead man walking.

Seriously?

its a DP case. Funny, you think a NUN (non judging of people , only love) who is a STAUNCH advocate AGAINST the dp wouldn't stand to her principles on this.
    It's not funny at all.

Of all the current DP cases to get behind and assert her principles... she feels compelled to get behind this super high profile one. Is this individual more worthy of the personalized support than other 'less prolific' offenders facing the DP... or is the super high profile case the draw here?

I think that's a fair question.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

mickeyrat said:

hedonist said:

Jason P said:

Dead man walking.

Seriously?

It's not funny at all.

Of all the current DP cases to get behind and assert her principles... she feels compelled to get behind this super high profile one. Is this individual more worthy of the personalized support than other 'less prolific' offenders facing the DP... or is the super high profile case the draw here?

of all the other DP cases , how many do we really know that she is advocating for? If not for the coverage this particular case we wouldn't have known she was asked to testify.

really its a matter of national news coverage as opposed to more or less worthy cases.

link to her website

http://www.sisterhelen.org/?doing_wp_cron=1431828969.3943800926208496093750

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

hedonist said:

Jason P said:

Dead man walking.

Seriously?

It's not funny at all.

of all the other DP cases , how many do we really know that she is advocating for? If not for the coverage this particular case we wouldn't have known she was asked to testify.

really its a matter of national news coverage as opposed to more or less worthy cases.

link to her website

http://www.sisterhelen.org/?doing_wp_cron=1431828969.3943800926208496093750
    The website doesn't reveal which cases she is active with. It does have a link where you can employ her to speak and another that asks for money for her ministry. There's another that details her staff too.

I would presume that getting national attention advocating for this scumbag would generate more awareness for her than the backwaters rapist murderer Robert Lee Willie she advocated for in the movie which ultimately made her famous.

Motives aside... she wants us to believe this idiot is sorry for what he did? She sees in him what she wants to see in him. But even if he was genuinely sorry... who gives a shit? Of course he's tucked his rat tail between his legs and wants everyone to forgive him now that he's killed people and been caught. He wants to live- just like his victims did before he blew them up.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,749

I don't know - solitary confinement 23 hours a day, with no sunlight, living in that tiny cell, with a concrete slab and a thin mattress for a bed. When he's allowed outside his cell he's handcuffed and shackled. When he's fed, a tray of food is slid through the slot in the door. I like the idea of him living like this for 10 years before he's put down.
    The government should not have the right to put down human beings. Ever. But i do like the idea of this guy and others like him living like that for the rest of their natural lives.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    At one point during closing the prosecutor told the jury, "If you sentence him to life in prison, you are giving him the lightest possible sentence allowed under the law." (I'm paraphrasing but that is close.) We argue here all the time whether life in prison is worse than death or not - making good points both ways - but the government's position is that it is not. After all this jury had seen and heard, hearing life in prison described that way had to resonate. I was surprised they came back with a sentence of death but I understand how they got there.