Boston Marathon - explosion

Comments

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    chadwick wrote:
    i gotta say there is some unreal debating going on in this here thread. confusion has set in. do not be the guy looking for some kind of bullshit sympathy or whatever it is. do not be the guy who cannot admit they are wrong. admitting you are wrong take only a moment & then you move forward. simple shit. admitting to one's misunderstanding of the way things work, admitting to one's mistakes, admitting to simply being an ass,
    admitting your weaknesses, admitting you may not be the smartest, fastest, quickest & the sharpest tool in the tool bucket is physically & mentally good for us all.

many comical comments in this thread. i see a great deal of comedic genius here. i also see a lot of bullshit & hot air. get your fucking acts together. do not make me come over there

:lol:

After a couple hours of internet research, I have found that in most cases that the death penalty is more expensive than life in prison. Therefore, I admit that I was wrong and will impose a much needed one day ban on the train.
    you're the best we got, general! please bobby, please do not go ahead with the banning
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • unsung wrote:
    What scares me is the people cheering for military occupation of the streets.

It only took one citizen that was paying attention to capture this guy.

Yah. No dragnet at work forcing the guy into a weak hiding spot from a really slim selection. Unsung... it was only a short matter of time before the authorities, using their extremely effective tactics, were going to apprehend this loser.

Just think... this is one of the 'brighter' voices insisting on the right to bear arms and opposing any gun control measures.

I've said it once before and I'm going to say it again... the inmates are running the asylum.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • unsung wrote:

unsung...This is the best comment in the entire thread.

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety” ~Benjamin Franklin

Without question, Watertown, MA was a police state for a day.
  • unsung wrote:

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety” ~Benjamin Franklin

so are you willing to sacrifice more innocent lives in the name of liberty??
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    unsung wrote:

Seriously, yes. Sometimes that's the price of liberty.
  • dignin wrote:

to me, that sounds like the mantra of an extremist.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • dignin wrote:

Wow. You would sacrifice another bomb going off and more people dying to keep people from being inconvenianced? You need a 'control-alt-delete'.
  • dignin wrote:

Wow. You would sacrifice another bomb going off and more people dying to keep people from being inconvenianced? You need a 'control-alt-delete'.

:clap:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,548
    dignin wrote:

:thumbup:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    After a couple hours of internet research, I have found that in most cases that the death penalty is more expensive than life in prison.
    Put me in charge. Costs will go down. :geek:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlWvdN4zeH2Om1zdQ_kKEgYM70TOB3P2pUzDo8CjRCwHVbmzUz

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmyTNjOyKwGgNqeLyC5PIArx3XL_o9Wl4URfgtpOLmWwVnoeyS
    JimmyV wrote:
    People who hide behind a 200 year old piece of paper and don't use their fucking heads and COMMON SENSE are a HUGE problem in our country. HUGE!

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-a ... ershare_fb
    dignin wrote:

Locking down an entire city and in some cases being hulled out of your house at gunpoint is not my definition of inconvenienced.

I hate to use the slippery slope argument here but I truly believe we are giving far to many powers to the police, and after what they did in Boston I feel they will try to take more. The police becoming more militarized worries me, and the fact that it doesn't seem to give you pause worries me even more.
    dignin wrote:

Go back and look at anything I have posted on this forum. I am far from an extremest on anything. Maybe I could have used a better phrase like "Unfortunately" that's the price of liberty.

Saying I sound like an extremist is over the top and over-dramatic and adds nothing to this debate.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    dignin wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:
    People who hide behind a 200 year old piece of paper and don't use their fucking heads and COMMON SENSE are a HUGE problem in our country. HUGE!

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-a ... ershare_fb

You are not rebutting ofthegirl99's point with that clip. The point being discussed was what happened in Watertown and the extremists who are vilifying the police and national guard and believe they should have done...well, what they think should have been done remains unclear.

At least some this morning are being honest enough to admit they do believe we should have just let more people die in Watertown. I believe that is insane, but at least now the logic is being followed through to its endpoint. Those are the people ofthegirl99 was referring to and why I applauded.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • dignin wrote:

Go back and look at anything I have posted on this forum. I am far from an extremest on anything. Maybe I could have used a better phrase like "Unfortunately" that's the price of liberty.

Saying I sound like an extremist is over the top and over-dramatic and adds nothing to this debate.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but this is not a debate. To me, this is more a case of some people grounded in common sense responding to the musings of a few highly paranoid conspiracists.

But hundreds of pages on this forum tell me there is no talking sense to some. There's no talking my sense to you as there is no talking your sense to me. So... here's what I offer you: if a takeover occurs... I'll eat my words and play the fool until the end. We will give you to the final, peaceful moments of hopefully a long and lovely life: if on this peaceful day of reckoning you look back at your life and realize there never was any intent for a government takeover... how about you come to terms with how you lived? No face palm necessary!
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Jason P wrote:
    Put me in charge. Costs will go down. :geek:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlWvdN4zeH2Om1zdQ_kKEgYM70TOB3P2pUzDo8CjRCwHVbmzUz

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmyTNjOyKwGgNqeLyC5PIArx3XL_o9Wl4URfgtpOLmWwVnoeyS
    :mrgreen:
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,362
    unsung wrote:

Somehow I think Benjamin Franklin would have used a bit of common sense If a crazed bomber would have been around when he made this quote......
  • riotgrlriotgrl Posts: 1,895
    unsung wrote:

Somehow I think Benjamin Franklin would have used a bit of common sense If a crazed bomber would have been around when he made this quote......

I wonder the same. We often ignore the context in which many of our founding fathers existed and apply those principles to our current situations without taking their situations into account when quoting them. Sometimes the context fits, other times not so much.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,108
    This thread is getting really weird.

But for what it's worth: the Constitution is important, and it's meaning and import has evolved into so much more than just a "200 year old document." The discussion should not be then a "200 year old document" vs. "Common Sense." The two don't have to be exclusive of one another. In fact, considerable case law has been developed by the Supreme Court addressing the very issue of how the Constitution applies to modern situations (yes, even Scalia's done it); in short, the document has been interpreted to adapt to modern situations (as it should be).

So the Constitution is as viable as it's ever been.

Now, does that mean it's been abused here? I don't know. What are the complaints being lodged here in this thread?

That Boston police used humvees or weapons or tanks or whatever to track down a bombing suspect? Ok...don't most of you anti-government types (yes, you're a type) support the right to bear arms?

That people were told they couldn't leave their homes? Ok...where are the citizens who are complaining? To file a suit, claiming some unwarranted deprivation of Constitutional rights, there has to actually be an injury or harm. Last I checked, most people willingly stayed in doors while cops chased down a bombing suspect who had also killed a cop. If someone is pissed off and thinks their rights were violated then they need to file a lawsuit, and convince a court that their rights were violated under the existing circumstances of April 15, 16, 17, and 18. Good luck.

Is it because police entered homes without a warrant? Sure, the Constitution protects against unreasonable searches and seizures. Key word: unreasonable. Case law has interpreted this to mean that there are situations where warrantless searches ARE reasonable and therefore fine under the Constitution. Those are called warrant exceptions. One of them is the exigent circumstances exception. It means that under certain situations, police may search or seize someone without a warrant. Like, say, a house to house gun fight with a suspected terrorist.

There are some facts I'm probably missing, because I haven't really given any credence to the idea that the police somehow violated people's rights when they were attempting to apprehend this guy. I think most of the arguing is about the aesthetics of the situation: the image of police with military-style weapons or tanks in city streets, out of context, is not pleasing aesthetically to most people. Put it in the context that I've described above (a house to house gun fight with a cop killer and a suspected bomber): it's only unappealing to people with an ax to grind.

Quite frankly, I'm sick of seeing this thread popping up in my posts, and reading it to find that some new weird unsupported conspiracy has been leveled. Sure, there are police officers who abuse their discretion and violate the law all the time. I'm not convinced that's the case here. At all, in fact.

Before, my only point in all this had only been: Calm down with the bloodlust before this guy's been convicted. But now I add: Quit using a tragedy to continue your ridiculous tirades against "big government."

Can we move on with the process?
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
  • vant0037 wrote:

But for what it's worth: the Constitution is important, and it's meaning and import has evolved into so much more than just a "200 year old document." The discussion should not be then a "200 year old document" vs. "Common Sense." The two don't have to be exclusive of one another. In fact, considerable case law has been developed by the Supreme Court addressing the very issue of how the Constitution applies to modern situations (yes, even Scalia's done it); in short, the document has been interpreted to adapt to modern situations (as it should be).

Now, does that mean it's been abused here? I don't know. What are the complaints being lodged here in this thread?

That Boston police used humvees or weapons or tanks or whatever to track down a bombing suspect? Ok...don't most of you anti-government types (yes, you're a type) support the right to bear arms?

That people were told they couldn't leave their homes? Ok...where are the citizens who are complaining? To file a suit, claiming some unwarranted deprivation of Constitutional rights, there has to actually be an injury or harm. Last I checked, most people willingly stayed in doors while cops chased down a bombing suspect who had also killed a cop. If someone is pissed off and thinks their rights were violated then they need to file a lawsuit, and convince a court that their rights were violated under the existing circumstances of April 15, 16, 17, and 18. Good luck.

Is it because police entered homes without a warrant? Sure, the Constitution protects against unreasonable searches and seizures. Key word: unreasonable. Case law has interpreted this to mean that there are situations where warrantless searches ARE reasonable and therefore fine under the Constitution. Those are called warrant exceptions. One of them is the exigent circumstances exception. It means that under certain situations, police may search or seize someone without a warrant. Like, say, a house to house gun fight with a suspected terrorist.

There are some facts I'm probably missing, because I haven't really given any credence to the idea that the police somehow violated people's rights when they were attempting to apprehend this guy. I think most of the arguing is about the aesthetics of the situation: the image of police with military-style weapons or tanks in city streets, out of context, is not pleasing aesthetically to most people. Put it in the context that I've described above (a house to house gun fight with a cop killer and a suspected bomber): it's only unappealing to people with an ax to grind.

Quite frankly, I'm sick of seeing this thread popping up in my posts, and reading it to find that some new weird unsupported conspiracy has been leveled. Sure, there are police officers who abuse their discretion and violate the law all the time. I'm not convinced that's the case here. At all, in fact.

Before, my only point in all this had only been: Calm down with the bloodlust before this guy's been convicted. But now I add: Quit using a tragedy to continue your ridiculous tirades against "big government."

This is what's commonly referred to as a beatdown.

It's over. Conspiracists might do best chatting via private messages lest they look foolish from here on.
  • vant0037 wrote:

Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • dignin wrote:

oh calm down. did I say you were an extremist? NO. I said that statement sounds like the mantra of an extremist, which I stand by.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,548
    vant0037 wrote:

Nailed it...well done Sir.... :clap: :thumbup:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    “How to Make a Bomb in the Kitchen of Your Mom,” an article in the first issue of the English-language magazine. At least one of the Watertown bombs used an elbow pipe wrapped in black tape, as discussed in “Inspire.”

http://openchannel.nbcnews.com/_news/20 ... plans?lite
  • mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353

That is a loaded and unfair question. there does not have to be more innocent lives sacrificed in the name of liberty because NONE OF THOSE WHO DIED were sacrificed in the name of liberty. They were murdered, and not for liberty.

What happens if keeping people in their homes who would have normally left the area because of the danger that was perceived were killed by a bomb blast? Does that mean that those in favor of the police locking down the area were willing to sacrifice people in the name of safety? Of course not.

Freedom is inherently dangerous, you can harm yourself with it, you could harm others with it...it is dangerous.

I have already said in this thread earlier that I think the police, barring maybe a few incidents, acted with probable cause to do what they did. However, that doesn't excuse this type of argument. There are millions of people around the world who HAVE sacrificed their own lives for liberty and I am sure a large percentage would do it again.
    People who hide behind a 200 year old piece of paper and don't use their fucking heads and common sense are a huge problem in our country. HUGE!

that document has done more for the safety and well being of the people in this country than it EVER has done damage to. No one hides behind it...and the 200 year old document has a process to change and to review and interpret it...We rely on the 9 to interpret the document properly and I think they do a helluva job with probably the most thankless Gov't role. I think those who believe you can skirt the constitutional process and protections are a HUGE problem in this country(Blue or Red doesn't matter to me). HUGE!

But like was said a few posts ago, I think most people living in that area felt like the actions of the police were reasonable, and I also think that most judicial review of 99.9% of the police action on that day would find the same thing.
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • mikepegg44 wrote:

What happens if keeping people in their homes who would have normally left the area because of the danger that was perceived were killed by a bomb blast? Does that mean that those in favor of the police locking down the area were willing to sacrifice people in the name of safety? Of course not.

But like was said a few posts ago, I think most people living in that area felt like the actions of the police were reasonable, and I also think that most judicial review of 99.9% of the police action on that day would find the same thing.

As one who is completely in favor of the actions and strategies employed by the police, the first comment is- at a minimum- fair and worthy of some consideration.

The second comment speaks to the 'common sense' aspect of the whole ordeal. At least on this occasion... celebrate the work of the police who risked their lives getting this task done (some paid with their life). It would have to be a different, much much more benign stuation for anyone to take any suggestion of a threat to the constituion seriously.
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    The mother of the men who bombed the Boston Marathon was placed on a US terror watch list 18 months before the attack — and is now being eyed for potentially radicalizing her oldest son, officials said yesterday.

Zubeidat Tsarnaeva and her now-dead son, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, were put on the list in 2011 after Russian officials informed the CIA that the two ethnic Chechens were Islamic extremists who may pose a threat to their native Russia, officials said.

Officials have disclosed that Tamerlan’s name was listed, raising questions about whether authorities should have eyed him more closely before the April 15 attack that killed three and injured 260.

http://m.nypost.com/p/news/national/mad ... XoaOicRFxL

Stupid pig with her crocodile tears and her America did this my son bullshit.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    The mother of the men who bombed the Boston Marathon was placed on a US terror watch list 18 months before the attack — and is now being eyed for potentially radicalizing her oldest son, officials said yesterday.

Zubeidat Tsarnaeva and her now-dead son, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, were put on the list in 2011 after Russian officials informed the CIA that the two ethnic Chechens were Islamic extremists who may pose a threat to their native Russia, officials said.

Officials have disclosed that Tamerlan’s name was listed, raising questions about whether authorities should have eyed him more closely before the April 15 attack that killed three and injured 260.

http://m.nypost.com/p/news/national/mad ... XoaOicRFxL

Stupid pig with her crocodile tears and her America did this my son bullshit.
    string her wrinkly ass up!
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... story.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. officials say Russian authorities secretly recorded a conversation in 2011 in which one of the Boston bombing suspects vaguely discussed jihad with his mother.

Officials say a second call was recorded between the suspects’ mother and a man under FBI investigation living in southern Russia.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the ongoing case.

They say the Russians shared this intelligence with the U.S. in the past few days.

The conversations are significant because, had they been revealed earlier, there might have been enough evidence for the FBI to initiate a more thorough investigation of the Boston bombing suspects’ family.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."