Boston Marathon - explosion

Comments

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,548
    JimmyV wrote:
    if u are a person lived in a country that usa went to war and bomb them.,.well,i understand the hate for usa..
    maybe u lost relative,friends at war..i get it,to have hate.,.no matter is right or wrong the hate....
    but live in usa,go to school,work,have benefits,be american citizen..well..to put bombs to kill civilians..
    i dont get it..

i know alot think is that muslim have hate for usa..but still..
    you live there..have friends,u talk all day english,deal with people..
    i dont get it..why you are there in the first place??

Exactly. I am not one to argue that the US is perfect because we are not, or that there are not those in the world who have a right to be pissed at us because there are. But if you are not only living and here and enjoying all the freedoms that we enjoy but living off the government while you do it...then you are not someone who has any reason to be upset with America.

And there is no justification in this world for deliberately targeting spectators at a road race. None.
    ofcourse,there will never be a logic reason to put bombs to kill civilians..
    the crazy is that they didnt come last 2 weeks to usa with the goal to kill people cos they are in a war with usa..
    they are usa citizens..how can u live in a place that you hate??that isnt home?that u dont believe to it??

seems the benefits was great to make you love what you hate..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    nice story and pic:

"True hero Jeff Bauman gives 18th birthday gift to fellow victim"

http://now.msn.com/jeff-bauman-gives-a- ... iral-photo
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    nice story and pic:

So inspiring.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    nice story and pic:

thats great..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    unsung wrote:
    There is no excuse for targeting civilians, ANYWHERE. That includes drone strikes in Pakistan just to get one guy.

No one wants to see civilians killed but unfortunately we're dealing with cowards who use them as shields to protect themselves. If we locate a terrorist who is hiding out with his family should we do nothing?

Would you rather we send a seal team in and risk the lives of American soldiers to take out these terrorists when a air/drone strike will do the same thing albeit with the possibility of collateral damages of the people that choose to shelter them?
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Would you rather we send a seal team in and risk the lives of American soldiers to take out these terrorists when a air/drone strike will do the same thing albeit with the possibility of collateral damages of the people that choose to shelter them?

Yes. Because that is what SEAL teams are for. Every time we blow up a building and kill 10 innocent people including women and children we create more terrorists. We perpetuate the image that we are evil. Our enemies use it to recruit.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • vant0037 wrote:

Lawyers disagree with lawyers all the time. The fact that one might have a different view than me is of no consequence here. I would, out of curiosity, like to know if Mr. Rosenbaum would agree that the bloodthirsty calls for the defendant's head fit within his view of justice. My guess? Not a chance in hell. Arguing that justice is really about retribution is not at all synonymous with arguing that we should inflict retribution prior to due process.

My point is not and has not been to argue about what appropriate justice is. That's a whole other issue, one you've raised in response to an argument I didn't make. My point is and always has been about whether or not emotional pleas for violence against an untried defendant is a good, healthy or just thing. I submit that they are not. I don't care how guilty the person looks. You may cite all the examples of inappropriate sentencing you wish, and you may quote any number of law professors you believe will endorse that view (if they exist at all, I can virtually guarantee they are in the minority).

So whether the criminal justice system in civil societies is or should be about retribution or restoring order is ultimately irrelevant. I engaged you on two levels to prove the same point each time: emotional pleas for violence against an untried defendant, whether said just to "blow off steam" or whether said in all sincerity, is a very dangerous form of mob mentality, and one that should be resisted at all costs.

My point is not and has not been to argue about what appropriate justice is. That's a whole other issue, one you've raised in response to an argument I didn't make.

I need to take a step back here. I have been in poor form.

I'm going to agree with you regarding violence against an untried defendent is a very dangerous form of mob mentality. I did twist the argument and spin it to something else. I apologize for that.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    unsung wrote:
    There is no excuse for targeting civilians, ANYWHERE. That includes drone strikes in Pakistan just to get one guy.

No one wants to see civilians killed but unfortunately we're dealing with cowards who use them as shields to protect themselves. If we locate a terrorist who is hiding out with his family should we do nothing?

I agree
    btw..this thread remind me the conversation i had this morning at work with a coeorker....
    we was on a F-16 Aircraft and talking about the pressure the wings gets during flight,and we start talking about the pressure during fireing missles..and what damage a missle can do and how many could be killed from the blast..
    and then i said,how lucky was at Boston,cos the bombs could kill away more people that killed ..
    and then the guy i was with said"well,how many Americans would be alive today if the last 20 years USA didnt involved to any wars at middle east and stay in peace in their country??"
    well.i dint have an answer..but im sure..the right answer must be Thousands...
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    .... collateral damages of the people....

Wow... collateral damage... women and children and just other human beings that happened to be in the area. Dispensable. How sad to think that way.

But then again, maybe that's exactly what the bombers were thinking of the people that just happened to be in the vicinity of their bombs in Boston. Collateral damage. Doesn't sound 'acceptable' this way, does it?
    redrock wrote:
    .... collateral damages of the people....

Wow... collateral damage... women and children and just other human beings that happened to be in the area. Dispensable. How sad to think that way.

But then again, maybe that's exactly what the bombers were thinking of the people that just happened to be in the vicinity of their bombs in Boston. Collateral damage. Doesn't sound 'acceptable' this way, does it?
    ofcourse is not Rita
    i said it alot of times here..WAR is the fuckin problem and not who get killed,how many and from which side..
    we always talking about the tree and we loose the fuckin forest..
    The American military is easy to hate, especially from afar, but it does factor how few innocents are killed and wounded into how successful a mission is. It is tragic and heartbreaking whenever an innocent is killed.

The Tsarnaev Brothers and every other piece of shit terrorist in this world judges success by how many innocents are killed. The innocents are their targets...in this case families who were watching a road race. There is no collateral damage, only the damage they were hoping to cause.

The victims of the Marathon attack were not killed and wounded inadvertently or accidentally. They were deliberately targeted. That is not collateral damage.

• vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,108

I'm going to agree with you regarding violence against an untried defendent is a very dangerous form of mob mentality. I did twist the argument and spin it to something else. I apologize for that.

No worries Thirty!
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
    JimmyV wrote:

The victims of the Marathon attack were not killed and wounded inadvertently or accidentally. They were deliberately targeted. That is not collateral damage.
    yep..cos the goal is to hit your way of life and make you feel fear..cos for sure cant fight your army..
    so they go to the easy target,civilians..so sad the whole..
    edited April 2013
    Sorry JimmyV but innocents are deliberately targeted as well with these drone attacks or any other sort of attack coldly bombing a home, a neighbourhood, a wedding, etc. wanting to get one person, knowing damn well there will be many others there. These innocents are factored in the 'risk assessment' and killing or maiming deemed acceptable to achieve their goal. If it's more than expected, we get the 'oops' response or the 'it had to be done' response. That is simply evil.

I don't hate the American military and I am not 'from afar' either. I know the American military very well. I do have an issue with those (whoever they may be) finding 'collateral damage' perfectly acceptable.

A terrorist (homegrown like McVeigh or foreign) may very well consider the innocents they kill with their bombs as collateral damage. Collateral damage necessary to further their cause. Necessary to achieve their goal.
    Post edited by redrock on
  • JimmyV wrote:
    The American military is easy to hate, especially from afar, but it does factor how few innocents are killed and wounded into how successful a mission is. It is tragic and heartbreaking whenever an innocent is killed.

The Tsarnaev Brothers and every other piece of shit terrorist in this world judges success by how many innocents are killed. The innocents are their targets...in this case families who were watching a road race. There is no collateral damage, only the damage they were hoping to cause.

to me, intent doesn't matter.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    edited April 2013
    redrock wrote:
    Sorry JimmyV but innocents are deliberately targeted as well with these drone attacks or any other sort of attack coldly bombing a home, a neighbourhood, a wedding, etc. wanting to get one person, knowing damn well there will be many others there. These innocents are factored in the 'risk assessment' and killing or maiming deemed acceptable to achieve their goal. If it's more than expected, we get the 'oops' response or the 'it had to be done' response. That is simply evil.

I don't hate the American military and I am not 'from afar' either. I know the American military very well. I do have an issue with those (whoever they may be) finding 'collateral damage' perfectly acceptable.

A terrorist (homegrown like McVeigh or foreign) may very well consider the innocents they kill with their bombs as collateral damage. Collateral damage necessary to further their cause. Necessary to achieve their goal.

I am not saying that any of that is perfectly acceptable, I am saying it is not the same as what happened in Boston. You mention McVeigh and that goes to my point. He attacked the Federal building in OKC, not a sporting event. I am sure you are correct in what his assessment of collateral damage would have been, but he had another target that he was after. In each of the drone strikes there is a particular target they are after. There was no other target in Boston. There was no government building, there was no military target. There was ONLY the spectators watching the race. That is not collateral damage.
    Post edited by JimmyV on

JimmyV wrote:

So we disagree.

vant0037 wrote:

No worries Thirty!

There may have been poor form earlier but you are both in fine form this morning. Well played. :clap:

JimmyV wrote:
    redrock wrote:

I am not saying that any of that is perfectly acceptable, I am saying it is not the same as what happened in Boston. You mention McVeigh and that goes to my point. He attacked the Federal building in OKC, not a sporting event. I am sure you are correct in what his assessment of collateral damage would have been, but he had another target that he was after. There was no other target in Boston. There was no government building, there was no military target. There was ONLY the spectators watching the race. That is not collateral damage.

I agree that the intent is different. Does that really matter to the victims and their loved ones though. So say you live in Afghanistan and the US blows up your neighbors house and kills your child too(collateral damage). Do you think those people care that it was an accident? We used a 2000 lb bomb to blow up a mud hut because someone bad might be there. Sorry about your kid. You have no right to be mad at us or seek retribution because it was just collateral damage. Hmm, what would be good retribution for a person who believes their innocent civilian loved one was killed by Americans?
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    redrock wrote:
    Sorry JimmyV but innocents are deliberately targeted as well with these drone attacks or any other sort of attack coldly bombing a home, a neighbourhood, a wedding, etc. wanting to get one person, knowing damn well there will be many others there.

Why are all these "innocent" people in the same area with these terrorists to begin with?

In most cases they're either family members of the terrorist or are being sheltered by people who sympathize with their cause. These people are usually compensated for providing shelter to them. The terrorist or the sympathizers are the ones who choose to put their families in harms way and with that choice comes consequences.

What is your suggestion on how to capture or kill a terrorist embedded in a house in a remote village where sending in ground troops is not a option due to the location?

I agree that the intent is different. Does that really matter to the victims and their loved ones though. So say you live in Afghanistan and the US blows up your neighbors house and kills your child too(collateral damage). Do you think those people care that it was an accident? We used a 2000 lb bomb to blow up a mud hut because someone bad might be there. Sorry about your kid. You have no right to be mad at us or seek retribution because it was just collateral damage. Hmm, what would be good retribution for a person who believes their innocent civilian loved one was killed by Americans?

They don't and I don't expect them to, but that wasn't my point. I am not justifying using drones or dropping bombs. What I am saying is that for damage to be collateral there has to have been some other target in mind. The Tsarnaev Brothers were after no target other than those spectators. That is not collateral damage.

JimmyV wrote:

They don't and I don't expect them to, but that wasn't my point. I am not justifying using drones or dropping bombs. What I am saying is that for damage to be collateral there has to have been some other target in mind. The Tsarnaev Brothers were after no target other than those spectators. That is not collateral damage.

I agree. I was just extending the argument.
    redrock wrote:
    Sorry JimmyV but innocents are deliberately targeted as well with these drone attacks or any other sort of attack coldly bombing a home, a neighbourhood, a wedding, etc. wanting to get one person, knowing damn well there will be many others there.

Why are all these "innocent" people in the same area with these terrorists to begin with?

In most cases they're either family members of the terrorist or are being sheltered by people who sympathize with their cause. These people are usually compensated for providing shelter to them. The terrorist or the sympathizers are the ones who choose to put their families in harms way and with that choice comes consequences.

What is your suggestion on how to capture or kill a terrorist embedded in a house in a remote village where sending in ground troops is not a option due to the location?

It sounds to me like you have a predetermined idea of who these people are. That is a dangerous. I think it is important to not have such a black and white perspective on this.

There is no location that we can hit with a missile that we cant send troops into including so called ally countries. There are times when drone strikes are called for but we seem to be using them as a convenience at the expense of others. Every time we blow up people that happen to be near the target we create more hatred and more enemies of the United States. The results are more attacks on US targets, more support for attacks on US targets. Its like you kill one enemy and create 5.
    Every time we blow up people that happen to be near the target we create more hatred and more enemies of the United States. The results are more attacks on US targets, more support for attacks on US targets. Its like you kill one enemy and create 5.

“The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral
    begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it.
    Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth.
    Through violence you may murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate.
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars.
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”

Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • JimmyV wrote:

I'll comment on being as far as your north border!!!

Maybe those brothers thought that your president was in the "near vicinity" and just happened to get the wrong people. In your world, I'll just shrug my shoulders, "oops we missed" get on with life.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

JimmyV wrote:

Maybe those brothers thought that your president was in the "near vicinity" and just happened to get the wrong people. In your world, I'll just shrug my shoulders, "oops we missed" get on with life.

Yeah, maybe that's what they thought. :roll:

• JimmyV wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

Yeah, maybe that's what they thought. :roll:

Just as good as blindly going along with what your government tells you is right and wrong. I hope that nobody on this boards wedding happens to go awry, but if it does, please quote the above so i can have a smug smile on my face. Thanking you in advance.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

edited April 2013

Just as good as blindly going along with what your government tells you is right and wrong. I hope that nobody on this boards wedding happens to go awry, but if it does, please quote the above so i can have a smug smile on my face. Thanking you in advance.

What? You would have a smug smile on your face if someone on this board was killed by a drone strike?!?!

You may want to rethink what you just typed.
    Post edited by JimmyV on

• JimmyV wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

So we disagree.

I'm sure the hundreds of thousands of "collateral damaged" in Iraq and Afghanistan wouldn't.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014