Boston Marathon - explosion

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    The Associated Press ‏@AP
    BREAKING: White House says surviving suspect in Boston bombings will not be tried as an enemy combatant.

Good to see

Agreed. I think this was the only way to play it. I am very uncomfortable with the possibility that he may have become a citizen with this crime in mind...but I don't think there is anything that can be done.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,548
    redrock wrote:
    BREAKING: White House says surviving suspect in Boston bombings will not be tried as an enemy combatant.

Good to see

Hmmm... interesting. So... whatever he may have told the authorities whilst being 'interrogated' will be null and void since he hadn't been read his miranda rights???
    oh..i really want an answer to that....you know Rita..after the human in this whole..people die,suspect hunt..
    now the politics will take over...that means alot of bullshit..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    JimmyV wrote:

Good to see

Agreed. I think this was the only way to play it. I am very uncomfortable with the possibility that he may have become a citizen with this crime in mind...but I don't think there is anything that can be done.
    yes,seriously,i dont think they could say anything else..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    edited April 2013
    oh..i really want an answer to that....you know Rita..after the human in this whole..people die,suspect hunt..

Politics have long taken over already Dimi.

I'm just really wondering about that fact. One hears so many trials, evidence, etc. going to pot because procedure (eg Miranda) was not followed (or am I just watching too many crime series on TV?? :lol: ). I'm sure they wouldn't let anything like that happen in this case. They're going to make it air-tight.
    Post edited by redrock on
    redrock wrote:

Good to see

Hmmm... interesting. So... whatever he may have told the authorities whilst being 'interrogated' will be null and void since he hadn't been read his miranda rights???

I don't know how much interrogating has actually happened yet.

edited April 2013
    JimmyV wrote:
    It would seem they zoomed in on him as soon as they could. Apparently, he was writing his responses...
    Maybe not much was said at all, but maybe what was said was crucial.

We'll never know so it's all speculation.
    redrock wrote:

Politics have long taken over already Dimi.
    they always do,but till the moment they arrested him,my attention was to the work the authorities was doing..
    now..all will be a fuckin mess,with theories,and what,and why,and how,and that and this..they will bomb tv and radios with interview,with so many bullshit..
    redrock wrote:

I'm just really wondering about that fact. One hears so many trials, evidence, etc. going to pot because procedure (eg Miranda) was not followed (or am I just watching too many crime series on TV?? :lol: ). I'm sure they wouldn't let anything like that happen in this case. They're going to make it air-tight.
    Riat,now we posting here ...there are 50 already witness ,policeman and civilians that "Heard" they read his rights..
    not worry,they cover this already if didnt happen for real..
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    redrock wrote:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTm4RcvT5TfiEOWutFRqb1u0gwaY5SjsjoXst7OBqNdQcq3FX07
    redrock wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:
    It would seem they zoomed in on him as soon as they could. Apparently, he was writing his responses...

I assume if he is in as bad shape as they say then he is also on pain medication. I think most questioning would have to wait until he is at least sober enough to answer coherently.

I could be wrong, but I think most of the questioning is going to be in regards to who he was working with, what further plans did he have, etc. I think they have more than enough to convict just based on what happened in Watertown. He doesn't need to say much.

JimmyV wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

I assume if he is in as bad shape as they say then he is also on pain medication. I think most questioning would have to wait until he is at least sober enough to answer coherently.

I could be wrong, but I think most of the questioning is going to be in regards to who he was working with, what further plans did he have, etc. I think they have more than enough to convict just based on what happened in Watertown. He doesn't need to say much.
    the have the best drugs to make him say everything..
    actually,this is more important about his right..than if a policeman slap him during the arrest
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    JimmyV wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

And not one of those locked down civilians was killed, or kidnapped, or caught in a crossfire. We don't know if the same could be said had people been allowed to wander freely.

You can also suggest people stay indoors, warn people of the dangers and if they choose to venture out and end up getting caught in something ... at least it was their choice. Would not surprise me if the authorities used the incident as a trial run to see how far they could go to abusing civilians rights ... and from what I can see apparently it's ok.

And if their getting caught in something makes the situation worse? If instead of just a terrorist on the loose suddenly there is a terrorist holding hostages somewhere? Or if police officers are killed because they are trying to save someone who wandered out of their house because it was their right to do so?

Friday was not a trial run to see how far they could go in abusing civilian's rights. That is conspiracy theory nonsense. As soon as the guy was apprehended the lock down was lifted. No one's freedoms were taken away nor will they be.

it's just my opinion ... and on this issue we'll just have to agree to disagree ...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    unsung wrote:
    Did I ever say that is right?
    i thought we was talking here about facts anf reality and what happens in real world..
    if we talking about dreams and ideal situations,then i want only one thing

Monica Belluci with me in my bed..and ill be the happiest man on earth..
    :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Well I'll have to let this discussion go for now as i'm off to do other things ... just want to say that this thread is over a 100 pages with many opinions and people being respectful ... good job :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Well I'll have to let this discussion go for now as i'm off to do other things ... just want to say that this thread is over a 100 pages with many opinions and people being respectful ... good job :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    i try to post this,and didnt let me cos you post first!!

i dont believe this is a thread at AMT thread and its over 100 pages ,isnt locked and the conversation is in so high level!
    lukin2006 wrote:

it's just my opinion ... and on this issue we'll just have to agree to disagree ...

Fair enough.

He has been charged...

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013/04 ... story.html

Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has been charged in a sealed complaint, and his initial court appearance was conducted today by a federal magistrate judge in his hospital room, a federal court official says.

The announcement by Gary H. Wente, circuit executive for the US courts for the First Circuit , came after a White House spokesman said earlier today that Tsarnaev, who is in serious condition at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, would be tried in the federal court system.

Speaking at a media briefing in Washington, spokesman Jay Carney said Tsarnaev would not be tried as an enemy combatant.

“He will not be treated as an enemy combatant. We will process this terrorist through our system of justice,” he said.

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I'm curious how they call him a terrorist but then will not be tried as an enemy combatant.

Is this a case of semantics? Aren't they essentially the same thing?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    unsung wrote:
    unsung wrote:
    military_zps4207e6d3.jpg

The police keeping us safe, just don't take any pictures.

Seriously, no opinions on this make me believe that this behavior is accepted here.
    There is nothing to comment on. There is no way that soldier is training his gun on someone in their home because they're taking a picture. It only appears that way, because it's a STILL PHOTO and he happened to be facing in that direction while doing his job.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • unsungunsung Posts: 9,487
    lukin2006 wrote:

You can also suggest people stay indoors, warn people of the dangers and if they choose to venture out and end up getting caught in something ... at least it was their choice. Would not surprise me if the authorities used the incident as a trial run to see how far they could go to abusing civilians rights ... and from what I can see apparently it's ok.
    [/quote]

Yep, exactly.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    unsung wrote:
    Yeah, it's ok to drag people out of their homes by gunpoint, that they were ordered to stay in. All in the name of keeping them safe. I know what Ben Franklin would say, he would say "fuck that".
    horse shit! I've saw one home filled with men being removed from the home. did it ever occur to you that one or both of the bombers frequented that house and was pals with the guys in there?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • unsungunsung Posts: 9,487
    Haha, that's why the guy was let go when he got out of the house, right?

If your scenario were true he'd have been planted on his back and restrained. Keep reaching.

And I thought the Democrats were supposed to be for civil rights, forgive me.
    edited April 2013
    hedonist wrote:
    I'm curious how they call him a terrorist but then will not be tried as an enemy combatant.

Terrorism is just a means of using violence for political reasons, to create fear. This can be done by anyone of any nationality. So a terrorist can be 'home grown' or foreign.

An enemy combatant would normally be a member of some armed forces from a country/state which is at war with your country. This has been extended to any foreigner who attacks the USA, I guess.

This guy is being charged with similar charges to McVeigh (except for the 8 deaths of McVeigh) - using weapon of mass destruction, destruction of property and causing death.
    Post edited by redrock on
  • I wanted to take a minute to thank everyone who prayed or kept Boston in there thoughts. Our City of Boston and Massachusetts really appreciated all the well wishes. We are Boston Strong.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    redrock wrote:
    hedonist wrote:

Terrorism is just a means of using violence for political reasons, to create fear. This can be done by anyone of any nationality. So a terrorist can be 'home grown' or foreign.

An enemy combatant would normally be a member of some armed forces from a country/state which is at war with your country. This has been extended to any foreigner who attacks the USA, I guess.

This guy is being charged with similar charges to McVeigh (except for the 8 deaths of McVeigh) - using weapon of mass destruction, destruction of property and causing death.
    Ahh, thank you!
    I wanted to take a minute to thank everyone who prayed or kept Boston in there thoughts. Our City of Boston and Massachusetts really appreciated all the well wishes. We are Boston Strong.

Agreed. The support has meant so much. Thanks to all who have reached out or just kept us in your thoughts.

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,620
    I wanted to take a minute to thank everyone who prayed or kept Boston in there thoughts. Our City of Boston and Massachusetts really appreciated all the well wishes. We are Boston Strong.

And thank you, Illridethewave20, for reminding us that the victims and their families and anyone close to this situation deserves as much attention and certainly more care than the perpetrators.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

81 wrote:
    peopel are really arguing agaist a lockdown with a nut job bomber loose in teh hood?
    yes they are because adding traffic & thousands & thousands of ppl to the mix is awesome stuff & makes for better success at catching nutjob bombers.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Thats their job to be vigilante in public spaces ... entering my home without cause or telling me I can't leave is not ok with me ... that is slippery slope ... a slope in which no one should want to be on.
    to bad. stay home or go out driving your car to screw with the manhunt... good idea you have there. go walking up & down the sidewalks as if nothing is going on, and you can because you are a u.s. citizen, right?

horse shit. how about let the cops have the city so they may physically hunt this clown down before another bombing?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    can i get that picture (military tank guy pointing gun at citizen) put on a t shirt?

im trying to come up with some captions above..

boston strong....until i pisshited my pants!!!

what a view from... boston(scratch that) fallujah
    looking out the window at lovely boston(strike thru line) tikrit
    what a nice view of the streets of boston (strike thru line) kandahar

anyone have any funny captions....?