Options

New Lottery System

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Amazing !! After 7 years finally got 10c tix. GA!! Thanks 10c. So happy!! It's going to be magical!!
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: \

fuck yeah..thats im talking about...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    edited August 2013
    MG79478 wrote:
    First you have an increase in members with multiple membership... that doesn't help. You have an increase in scalpers... that doesn't help. You have people who win tickets colluding with others who won tickets to trade their extras... that doesn't help. People putting in "long shot" entries, and making the trip if they happen to win... that doesn't help.

I agree with this. I feel that the system needs to be ratcheted up a bit if they want to promote fairness.
    Multiple memberships are king now. Same with the ticket "trade/upgrade" community. The amount of ticket swapping over the past few weeks is off the charts.

I like the "idea" of the lottery... but it seems like unfair advantages can be leveraged more here than f5. Also, new memberships become very valuable with the addition of GA areas.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    MayDay10 wrote:
    MG79478 wrote:
    First you have an increase in members with multiple membership... that doesn't help. You have an increase in scalpers... that doesn't help. You have people who win tickets colluding with others who won tickets to trade their extras... that doesn't help. People putting in "long shot" entries, and making the trip if they happen to win... that doesn't help.

I agree with this. I feel that the system needs to be ratcheted up a bit if they want to promote fairness.
    Multiple memberships are king now. Same with the ticket "trade/upgrade" community. The amount of ticket swapping over the past few weeks is off the charts.

These trades all went on in the past as well. Many people had multiple memberships in the past too.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    what advantage did multiple memberships really have without lottery "ping pong balls" and without GA? Get a new member number in the 500XXXs and you are better off with the public sale. Now you can get 4 digital accounts in the 500XXXs for $80 and go hogwild on GA tickets, while saving your good number for hitting reserved. Find a buddy here with the same mindset in the same area and you are rolling huge. Sell/trade any extras to finance your tour.
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:

These trades all went on in the past as well. Many people had multiple memberships in the past too.
    and there was no tweet,or anything to let you know tour announcement is coming like the past cos renew membership is automatic now
    so that theory that scalpers can buy newmemebrship and more can try for tickets isnt exist..
    before,you just buy a memebrship a day before the tour u was suppose you can buy and flip the ticket
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    MayDay10 wrote:
    what advantage did multiple memberships really have without lottery "ping pong balls" and without GA? Get a new member number in the 500XXXs and you are better off with the public sale. Now you can get 4 digital accounts in the 500XXXs for $80 and go hogwild on GA tickets, while saving your good number for hitting reserved. Find a buddy here with the same mindset in the same area and you are rolling huge. Sell/trade any extras to finance your tour.
    you just try the same time to score with different acounts..f-5 witrh multiple..so u can flip the extras.
    had firefox open to one acount,IE to the other,Chrome to the third etc..
    if u want to flip the tickets,you can find the way with every selling system

only with lottery you dont have the power on your hands..
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    MayDay10 wrote:

I agree it is easier, and maybe 10c will look into it. But I think some of it is being blown out of proportion too.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Thanks for not taking it as a Waaaaaah Lottery! point of view.

I just know how fanatical and adaptable we all are... and how cunning and on their game the scalpers are. It may not be quite as abused this time around, but if/when there is another US tour, I can see a lot of the abuse I mentioned going into practice.

So Im cool with the lottery, but I am hoping the 10c is thinking ahead of ways people will invent to abuse it and are working toward ways to encourage the 1-membership per member/rank your entries straight-up lottery.
    I dont even know how to do it. Shooting completely from the hip: No GA? Have to be a member for >1 year? Multiple uses of the same credit card are voided? 1 membership per address? Paperless tickets for 10c tickets? Members only can get 1 show?
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:

and there was no tweet,or anything to let you know tour announcement is coming like the past cos renew membership is automatic now
    so that theory that scalpers can buy newmemebrship and more can try for tickets isnt exist..
    before,you just buy a memebrship a day before the tour u was suppose you can buy and flip the ticket

To me the lottery coupled with unrestricted GA is a disaster waiting to happen. Sure it may not have hit for this tour but I'm worried about future ones. In the past, the US tours were all reserved seating with senority. Sure there were the 1-2 and 9-10 row lotteries but those were very low probabilities. Its possible that scalpers joined hoping to score these great seats by chance. But the probability of a big payout just wasn't there.

But, with GA all of the tickets have the potential to be great (depending on how long you want to wait in line). And every member has an equal opportunity to win these tickets. So, why wouldn't a scalper buy 10 memberships right before the tour is announced. This would give them at least 20 valid chances (between 1st and 2nd choices). Even if they hit on only 25% that would still yield 10 tickets. That should be more than enough to warrent the $200 for memberships. I understand that the tickets would need to be picked up by the person on the membership. But the opportunity for profit is there.

Don't get me wrong, I like the lottery. I'm not so much of a fan of GA but I'm willing to give it a shot. I just think that the two of them together has the potential to cause real issues.
    Boston (4/10/94), Hartford (10/2/96), Barre (8/22/98), Hartford (9/13/98), Mansfield (9/15/98 + 9/16/98), Mansfield (8/29/00 + 8/30/00), Mansfield (7/2/03 + 7/11/03), Boston (9/28/04), Hartford (5/13/06), Boston (5/24/06 + 5/25/06), Hartford (6/27/08), Mansfield (6/28/08 + 6/30/08), Philadelphia (10/31/09), Hartford (5/15/10), Worcester (10/15/13 + 10/16/13), Hartford (10/25/13), New York (5/1/16), Boston (8/5/16 + 8/7/16), Boston (9/2/18 + 9/4/18)
  • Options

To me the lottery coupled with unrestricted GA is a disaster waiting to happen. Sure it may not have hit for this tour but I'm worried about future ones. In the past, the US tours were all reserved seating with senority. Sure there were the 1-2 and 9-10 row lotteries but those were very low probabilities. Its possible that scalpers joined hoping to score these great seats by chance. But the probability of a big payout just wasn't there.

But, with GA all of the tickets have the potential to be great (depending on how long you want to wait in line). And every member has an equal opportunity to win these tickets. So, why wouldn't a scalper buy 10 memberships right before the tour is announced. This would give them at least 20 valid chances (between 1st and 2nd choices). Even if they hit on only 25% that would still yield 10 tickets. That should be more than enough to warrent the $200 for memberships. I understand that the tickets would need to be picked up by the person on the membership. But the opportunity for profit is there.

Don't get me wrong, I like the lottery. I'm not so much of a fan of GA but I'm willing to give it a shot. I just think that the two of them together has the potential to cause real issues.
    what stoped a scalper to buy 10 memebrships before..and WIN always cos he knew to win the f-5 system??
    fan club tickets are always better than the rest of the seats..
    and how many id a scalper has,to pick up from the box office?
    and the scalper from ny,will fly to scopane to pick just a pair to sell them?

the only difference now is the scalpers,cant win the lottery..can put his hands and win instead of other members..has the same chances

its a win win..
    10c find the way to kill more than 2 birds with one bullet her..
    keep the sale here,than give it to sale company..take power from scalpers and cheaters so they cant score always the same people tix,more different members win tickets cos of priority,with GA secure more ticket at the venue and now has reserved tic and at the floor and at the sides to ALLthe shows,site not crash during sales,people have a week to decide,no need to be at specific time at the internet and alot more reasons.

all reserved seating are still based with senority.nothing change to that so After memebrs scored reserved tix,they rewared with better seats than new member

10c must give to the guy thought the lottery double money
  • Options

what stoped a scalper to buy 10 memebrships before..and WIN always cos he knew to win the f-5 system??

the only difference now is the scalpers,cant win the lottery..can put his hands and win instead of other members..has the same chances

its a win win..
    keep the sale here,than give it to sale company..take power from scalpers and cheaters so they cant score always the same people tix,more different members win tickets cos of priority,with GA secure more ticket at the venue and now has reserved tic and at the floor and at the sides to ALLthe shows,site not crash during sales,people have a week to decide,no need to be at specific time at the internet and alot more reasons.

all reserved seating are still based with senority.nothing change to that so After memebrs scored reserved tix,they rewared with better seats than new member

You bring up some valid points and have partially converted me to your line of thinking. But I don't think that the intention of my scenario would be to have the scalper who lives in Boston try to purchase tickets for a show in Spokane. He would devote all of his choices to the show closest to his location. Remember he has multiple memberships so this is feasible.

Again, I have no beef with the lottery. Though I think it is a bit overcomplicated, I think that its fair. My issue is with GA and the lottery. If there was a lottery with no GA then those who joined just before the deadline would get the worst Ten Club seats. As you stated, these are still very good seats. But I don't believe that anyone would argue that a GA ticket has more value than a high number reserved seat. Sure a scalper who joined right before the deadline was eligible to buy tickets under the F5 system. But now the potential reward of a late membership has improved.

Seems simple to solve to me. Restrict GA tickets to only those who have been active members for a year. Those with less than a year of senority would still get to buy tickets but they would have to choose reserved seating.
    Boston (4/10/94), Hartford (10/2/96), Barre (8/22/98), Hartford (9/13/98), Mansfield (9/15/98 + 9/16/98), Mansfield (8/29/00 + 8/30/00), Mansfield (7/2/03 + 7/11/03), Boston (9/28/04), Hartford (5/13/06), Boston (5/24/06 + 5/25/06), Hartford (6/27/08), Mansfield (6/28/08 + 6/30/08), Philadelphia (10/31/09), Hartford (5/15/10), Worcester (10/15/13 + 10/16/13), Hartford (10/25/13), New York (5/1/16), Boston (8/5/16 + 8/7/16), Boston (9/2/18 + 9/4/18)
  • Options

its a win win..

You bring up some valid points and have partially converted me to your line of thinking. But I don't think that the intention of my scenario would be to have the scalper who lives in Boston try to purchase tickets for a show in Spokane. He would devote all of his choices to the show closest to his location. Remember he has multiple memberships so this is feasible.

Again, I have no beef with the lottery. Though I think it is a bit overcomplicated, I think that its fair. My issue is with GA and the lottery. If there was a lottery with no GA then those who joined just before the deadline would get the worst Ten Club seats. As you stated, these are still very good seats. But I don't believe that anyone would argue that a GA ticket has more value than a high number reserved seat. Sure a scalper who joined right before the deadline was eligible to buy tickets under the F5 system. But now the potential reward of a late membership has improved.

Seems simple to solve to me. Restrict GA tickets to only those who have been active members for a year. Those with less than a year of senority would still get to buy tickets but they would have to choose reserved seating.
    i see your point..but 2 things..noone knows when is the annopuncement,so you just become memebr the day before..automatic renew solve that..
    and as for the atleast one year member....the guy who is 6 months member only is out of the change for tix..he paid his money for the mmebrship of this year,must have a chance for this year tix..
  • Options
    so nobody anywhere had any idea there was going to be a tour announcement and it came out of the blue?

Cmon.
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    so nobody anywhere had any idea there was going to be a tour announcement and it came out of the blue?

Cmon.

Its not like they had a huge digital clock counting down to the announcement. :D

I agree, if all of the fans can "read the tea leaves" then I'm positive the scalping community could too. Plus, its not like they have to wait to the last minute. There has been info out there since the beginning of the year that there would be a tour in the US this year. Members have even compiled lists of rumored dates right on this forum. What could be easier to figure out?
  • Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628

First off, there istoo much focus on scalpers here, they are the LEAST of the problems with the lottery. Focusing solely on scalpers detracts from the many other lottery flaws. Scalping just needs to be a part of the conversation, not the sole topic.

What stopped a scalper from buying 10 memberships before? The inability to hit F5 on 10 computers simultaneously. Plus the F5 system actually took effort to score one set of tickets, no way someone could do it 10 times.

Fan club tickets are not always better than the rest of the seats. Anyone who has been 50 rows back on the floor can tell you that.

You could get fake IDs past the 10C windows easily, they are not checking the validity of your ID. You just space out the names so you are always going to a new window.
  • Options
    RE4790RE4790 Posts: 795
    MG79478 wrote:
    What stopped a scalper from buying 10 memberships before? The inability to hit F5 on 10 computers simultaneously. Plus the F5 system actually took effort to score one set of tickets, no way someone could do it 10 times.

Software can do this, the problem would be handling the various timeouts for high demand shows. You would need pretty smart to code be able to react to the multiple failure points. But I agree that the rare instances when the server crashed acted as a deterrent to the type of large scale automated scalping we see with TM/LiveNation.

And I also agree tickets are way easier to scalp with the lotto. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. If you have 9 accounts with NYC2-GA is your first, you only need one to win to break even if sold at face. If sold at market price, you could go up to 90 accounts all with NYC2-GA as #1 and break even. A frat could just sign-up all their pledges and make some easy cash flipping tickets to distraught 10c'ers.
  • Options
    now...NOW....10c..pay more money to the guy thought the lottery!..cant loose this guy..
    epic..zero power to anyone...
    and the ones knew the "advantages" "the tricks".."the efforts"...can kiss my fat ass!!

all the same chances...bullshit is over!!!new sherriff in town!!!!!
  • Options
    I think people have pointed out legitimate situations where it would be advantageous to have multiple accounts, thus not giving "all the same chances". This system can be abused just as bad, if not worse than the F5 system. The appeal for abuse is enhanced 10 fold with the advent of GA.

Stomping feet and saying this is perfect and the way it is and always should be is naive. Same with F5. It obviously had many flaws.

The lottery can, should be, and needs to be improved in order to eliminate/reduce these obvious holes.
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I think people have pointed out legitimate situations where it would be advantageous to have multiple accounts, thus not giving "all the same chances". This system can be abused just as bad, if not worse than the F5 system. The appeal for abuse is enhanced 10 fold with the advent of GA.

Stomping feet and saying this is perfect and the way it is and always should be is naive. Same with F5. It obviously had many flaws.

The lottery can, should be, and needs to be improved in order to eliminate/reduce these obvious holes.

Obviously the best case is to get rid of the lottery, but if we are stuck with it, you are absolutely correct. There needs to be change. Some suggestions.

- There should be only one priority list, not a list per leg.
    - Get rid of GA, or let people enter a GA lottery for shows they have won tickets for.
    - Crack down on multiple membership.
    - Put names on tickets, check IDs at the door.
    - Make Seniority mean something. Rather than a true lottery, 10C should start assigning first choices down the seniority list. If you are low in seniority, you might not get your first choice.
  • Options
    Paperless tickets (enter the venue with your CC) IMO would alleviate a lot of my concern.
    Maybe that paired with some sort of algorhythm that catches and disqualifies address/cc matches.

The multiple account issue is tough. I really cant think of a good reason not to get my wife and 4 month old son digital accounts before the next US or Canadian tour.
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Paperless tickets (enter the venue with your CC) IMO would alleviate a lot of my concern.
    Maybe that paired with some sort of algorhythm that catches and disqualifies address/cc matches.

The multiple account issue is tough. I really cant think of a good reason not to get my wife and 4 month old son digital accounts before the next US or Canadian tour.

This is a good point. I guess the only cavaet would be that your wife or 4 month old son would have to be the one picking up the tickets the day of the concert.
    Pearl Jam
    May 10, 2006 - Toronto
    Aug 21, 2009 - Toronto
    Sept 11, 2011 - Toronto
    Sept 14, 2011 - Ottawa
    Oct 12, 2013 - Buffalo
    Oct 16, 2014 - Detroit
    May 8, 2016 - Ottawa
    May 10, 2016 - Toronto
    Eddie Vedder
    Aug 9, 2008 Montreal
  • Options

its a win win..

Isn't this like Kramer and Newmans empty bottle scheme? Even if they didnt lose their memberships when caught, the one time profits would have to out strip the membership costs. Right now tix arent going for enough across the board to make this profitable enough to make this scheme worth it. Unles they won 100% of the time
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    Isn't this like Kramer and Newmans empty bottle scheme? Even if they didnt lose their memberships when caught, the one time profits would have to out strip the membership costs. Right now tix arent going for enough across the board to make this profitable enough to make this scheme worth it. Unles they won 100% of the time

For scalpers, you might be correct. But for the fan with expendable cash, this is a cheap way to secure great tickets. The lottery is easier to abuse than F5, which will lead to more people abusing it.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Double P0ast
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    MG79478 wrote:

For scalpers, you might be correct. But for the fan with expendable cash, this is a cheap way to secure great tickets. The lottery is easier to abuse than F5, which will lead to more people abusing it.

Yes. We are a smart and adaptive bunch.
    You use your seniority-vested membership on reserve tickets, and you get a few extra memberships to go for all the GA tickets. You can team up with someone and go hogwild. Then you can trade any doubles you get here for additional 10c tickets. Or possibly arrange for sales and finance your "tour". (GA tickets still apparently go for a bucket of money).

Think of how much anguish it was to plan your choices in order of preference. Now imagine how sweet it would have been to have 3-6 entries to fill out. Then if you are well connected and partner up, that is 6-12 entries, which is totally worth the $120 (only for years you know they will tour)...

People will absolutely do this and its going to leave Joe and Jane One Membership Fan with much, much longer odds, while we will see a ton of "will trade __________ for ___________ (which there already seems to be more than usual). Or people will re-sell, and who cares if you lose your 4th 525XXX membership.

This also will lead to abuse of 1-per-member merchandise.

And I also still believe it paves an easier road for scalpers with GA.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,930
    My buddy Billy is a high school teacher. A few of you have met him at shows. Fan since the beginning, in and out of the club since the nineties. Because of his profession he has never before been able to score tickets. That is, until the recently concluded Second Chance lottery for Worcester 2. For the first time he will be the one picking up tickets at will call. I love the lottery for many reasons, not the least of which is that it is succeeding at spreading tickets around to as many fans as possible. It is not perfect and it can be improved, for sure, but so far it is a success.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Im in favor of the lottery! Thats all.
    168dcfb.jpg
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,344
    Long live the lottery!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,310
    To me just the fact we're debating this topic speaks volumes of how really great this band is , i mean i've been chasing PJ tickets since 92 and here i am again seeing them three more times this yr there is no other band i would do that for ...i feel lucky as shit everytime i see this band perform ....... :mrgreen:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,510
    JimmyV wrote:
    My buddy Billy is a high school teacher. A few of you have met him at shows. Fan since the beginning, in and out of the club since the nineties. Because of his profession he has never before been able to score tickets. That is, until the recently concluded Second Chance lottery for Worcester 2. For the first time he will be the one picking up tickets at will call. I love the lottery for many reasons, not the least of which is that it is succeeding at spreading tickets around to as many fans as possible. It is not perfect and it can be improved, for sure, but so far it is a success.

Thank you for bringing this up. . . . I also work a job that doesn't allow for me to sit at a PC hitting F5 for as long as it takes. That doesn't mean I'm lazy like other people have suggested, nor does it make me less of a fan, it flat out means that the F5 system doesn't work for me when the sales are on weekdays, which they traditionally have been. If it was on a Saturday, I would be fine with it, but on a Tuesday or other weekday, it's an issue for me, period. (please don't tell me a big enough fan would take the day off. . . what happens when the servers crash & the sale is postponed 24 hours? Then I'm out a vacation day & STILL didn't get tickets - that's a lousy scenario too)

I've had more success getting 10c tickets with the lottery than I ever had with the F5 system, so why shouldn't I like the lottery more? I don't have to take time away from work to have a chance to get tickets, and that's the most important thing for me. At some point the lottery won't choose me, then I'll go to ticketmaster. Or I just won't go to the show. I've missed shows before, and will miss them in the future. Life will go on.

FWIW, I think the whole scalper argument is blown way out of proportion. I understand that scalpers can get multiple accounts etc, but I don't see how any of that is beneficial when they can't get their hands on the tickets until the day of the show. I looked through Stubhub a few nights ago, and found a total of 6 pairs of GA tickets for shows on the 1st leg. All of those tickets will be delivered to the buyer in advance of the show date. How could those be 10c tickets? Someone on the inside at the venue is doing that, not someone buying 10c tickets through the lottery, I would think. I know GA is supposed to be all 10c, but how would a person explain the whole tickets in advance?
    I also don't know too many people willing to pay resale prices for tickets they can't pick up until the day of the show, never mind reserved seats: the locations of which are unknown, also until the day of the show. I DEFINITELY don't see people dropping hundreds of dollars if they don't know where their seats are. Sure, plenty of scalpers will still buy, go there on the day of the show & sell them outside on the sidewalk, but that's the old tried & true method, that has always happened, and always will. If anything, PJ does cut back on scalpers, since only local agencies, who can go to the venue on the day of the show & sell there will try for it. (Scalpers had a leg up on me with the F5 system too, they can sit there on a Tuesday hitting F5 for 6 hours, I can't)

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, that's mine.

Congrats to those who scored, sorry for those who didn't, I hope the lottery picks you next time.
This discussion has been closed.