Options

New Lottery System

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    JimmyV wrote:
    My buddy Billy is a high school teacher. A few of you have met him at shows. Fan since the beginning, in and out of the club since the nineties. Because of his profession he has never before been able to score tickets. That is, until the recently concluded Second Chance lottery for Worcester 2. For the first time he will be the one picking up tickets at will call. I love the lottery for many reasons, not the least of which is that it is succeeding at spreading tickets around to as many fans as possible. It is not perfect and it can be improved, for sure, but so far it is a success.

Thank you for bringing this up. . . . I also work a job that doesn't allow for me to sit at a PC hitting F5 for as long as it takes. That doesn't mean I'm lazy like other people have suggested, nor does it make me less of a fan, it flat out means that the F5 system doesn't work for me when the sales are on weekdays, which they traditionally have been. If it was on a Saturday, I would be fine with it, but on a Tuesday or other weekday, it's an issue for me, period. (please don't tell me a big enough fan would take the day off. . . what happens when the servers crash & the sale is postponed 24 hours? Then I'm out a vacation day & STILL didn't get tickets - that's a lousy scenario too)

I've had more success getting 10c tickets with the lottery than I ever had with the F5 system, so why shouldn't I like the lottery more? I don't have to take time away from work to have a chance to get tickets, and that's the most important thing for me. At some point the lottery won't choose me, then I'll go to ticketmaster. Or I just won't go to the show. I've missed shows before, and will miss them in the future. Life will go on.

FWIW, I think the whole scalper argument is blown way out of proportion. I understand that scalpers can get multiple accounts etc, but I don't see how any of that is beneficial when they can't get their hands on the tickets until the day of the show. I looked through Stubhub a few nights ago, and found a total of 6 pairs of GA tickets for shows on the 1st leg. All of those tickets will be delivered to the buyer in advance of the show date. How could those be 10c tickets? Someone on the inside at the venue is doing that, not someone buying 10c tickets through the lottery, I would think. I know GA is supposed to be all 10c, but how would a person explain the whole tickets in advance?
    I also don't know too many people willing to pay resale prices for tickets they can't pick up until the day of the show, never mind reserved seats: the locations of which are unknown, also until the day of the show. I DEFINITELY don't see people dropping hundreds of dollars if they don't know where their seats are. Sure, plenty of scalpers will still buy, go there on the day of the show & sell them outside on the sidewalk, but that's the old tried & true method, that has always happened, and always will. If anything, PJ does cut back on scalpers, since only local agencies, who can go to the venue on the day of the show & sell there will try for it. (Scalpers had a leg up on me with the F5 system too, they can sit there on a Tuesday hitting F5 for 6 hours, I can't)

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, that's mine.

Congrats to those who scored, sorry for those who didn't, I hope the lottery picks you next time.
    nicely said...and as for GA you saw..no legit,the first day of the sale was 17 venues had GA tikes,not are like 4?
    scalpers start learning their lessons..cant access GA tix..10c has all
    not to mention,the fine print has delivery the day before the show...10c pick up is the day of the shoiw
    and,we all saw whay happen to wrigley..
    no 10c Wristband,no GA...cant get in the pit with out 10c wristband even if u have a tix says GA
    you have to have both...
    no 10C wristband..no GA...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    My buddy Billy is a high school teacher. A few of you have met him at shows. Fan since the beginning, in and out of the club since the nineties. Because of his profession he has never before been able to score tickets. That is, until the recently concluded Second Chance lottery for Worcester 2. For the first time he will be the one picking up tickets at will call. I love the lottery for many reasons, not the least of which is that it is succeeding at spreading tickets around to as many fans as possible. It is not perfect and it can be improved, for sure, but so far it is a success.
    that was the plan....spreading tickets around to as many fans as possible.
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    JimmyV wrote:

Probably, but I bet a big part was the fact that they couldn't get a sale done for popular shows on this website or with partners without it turning into a trainwreck or getting sabotaged.
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

Probably, but I bet a big part was the fact that they couldn't get a sale done for popular shows on this website or with partners without it turning into a trainwreck or getting sabotaged.
    true..so instead to give their product to ticketsale company,find lottery method and solve the problem..the ticket will be sold anyway..now more different fans get them,they keep the sale in their store and the lottery went smotth,no crasing no nothing..
  • Options
    fcbittencafcbittenca Posts: 345
    I never participated on the old system, I can't argument.

(A litle off topic I know)
    I am a little disappointed on the GA thing. I know a lot of people in the US will love it. But I am was hoping to have that front row experience. I always has that curiosity on how people have SEATS?!?! in front of a Rock Concert.

It's like ALIVE's jacket back photo. People are about to see Kiss and everybody is comfy on their chairs. Always thought that was amazing. The notion to arrive 15 minutes prior to the start and have a chair there, marking your spot.

Now I am going to Worcester and will have to stay in like for hours and hours if I want to get close to the rail.
    That's life. :(
    In love with music
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,510
    fcbittenca wrote:

I am a little disappointed on the GA thing. I know a lot of people in the US will love it. But I am was hoping to have that front row experience. I always has that curiosity on how people have SEATS?!?! in front of a Rock Concert.

It's like ALIVE's jacket back photo. People are about to see Kiss and everybody is comfy on their chairs. Always thought that was amazing. The notion to arrive 15 minutes prior to the start and have a chair there, marking your spot.

Now I am going to Worcester and will have to stay in like for hours and hours if I want to get close to the rail.

I see your point, but if you think about it, your chances of getting up to the rail, or at least 2-3 people removed from the rail are that much higher as a result of a GA section. Granted, it will be much less comfortable conditions, but your chances of getting closer to the band are increased greatly with GA tickets, obviously depending on on how much unwanted physical contact you are willing to put up with. If you don't mind being SUPER close to a bunch of other people, you have a good chance of getting close to the stage by the end of the show.

I have GA tix for Worcester 2, I bet I will get closer to the stage that night than I ever would have if it was reserved seats.
  • Options
    fcbittencafcbittenca Posts: 345
    fcbittenca wrote:

I see your point, but if you think about it, your chances of getting up to the rail, or at least 2-3 people removed from the rail are that much higher as a result of a GA section. Granted, it will be much less comfortable conditions, but your chances of getting closer to the band are increased greatly with GA tickets, obviously depending on on how much unwanted physical contact you are willing to put up with. If you don't mind being SUPER close to a bunch of other people, you have a good chance of getting close to the stage by the end of the show.

I have GA tix for Worcester 2, I bet I will get closer to the stage that night than I ever would have if it was reserved seats.

I have been to over 100 GA shows in South America... If you have seen any videos, you know we don't mind been close to one another... all the heat, the sweat, the smells... HAHAHAHAHA It's not like we are going to a fancing restaurant after the show. We go home for a shower HAHAHAHA

I just wanted the experience, you see? That All American way of doing stuff... but it's OK. I can get that in another band in a different time.

See you in Worcester, man... will be flying from Brazil to Boston on Oct, 13rd.
    In love with music
  • Options
    @fcbittenca, I 100% know what you're talking about. If I had a choice of having a front row seat, with my personal area clearly defined, or be pushed up against the rail with upwards of 1000 people pushing against me, well that's not a decision at all for me. Obviously I would take the seat.

Safe travels bro, see you in the pit in Worcester!
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I would love a front row seat.

Never happened in about 20 shows...

If/when I do get GA... I plan on doing it right and showing up in the early AM.
  • Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    JimmyV wrote:

Thank you for bringing this up. . . . I also work a job that doesn't allow for me to sit at a PC hitting F5 for as long as it takes. That doesn't mean I'm lazy like other people have suggested, nor does it make me less of a fan, it flat out means that the F5 system doesn't work for me when the sales are on weekdays, which they traditionally have been. If it was on a Saturday, I would be fine with it, but on a Tuesday or other weekday, it's an issue for me, period. (please don't tell me a big enough fan would take the day off. . . what happens when the servers crash & the sale is postponed 24 hours? Then I'm out a vacation day & STILL didn't get tickets - that's a lousy scenario too)

I've had more success getting 10c tickets with the lottery than I ever had with the F5 system, so why shouldn't I like the lottery more? I don't have to take time away from work to have a chance to get tickets, and that's the most important thing for me.

What type of job prohibits you from taking vacation to get tickets, and from arranging for someone else with computer access to get them for you? (As for the "server crash" excuse, that was the exception, not the norm... and isn't a big enough factor to be worthy of mention.) And if such a job exists (it doesn't), why do you keep it? And why do you want to punish those who aren't stuck in such crappy jobs?

It doesn't work that way, in fact now less fans get tickets. But hey... at least that was the plan!
  • Options
    MG79478 wrote:

It doesn't work that way, in fact now less fans get tickets. But hey... at least that was the plan!
    you dont have a clue..but who cares..10c knows better
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    MG79478 wrote:

I'm baffled by this. How do less fans get tickets?
  • Options
    eddiec wrote:
    MG79478 wrote:

He didn't get. So, that's 1 less. That's all that matters. Do you even exist?
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options

Wow, another incredibly insightful and intelligent response filled with facts and counterpoints. But hey, I guess with such a quantity of posts, you can't focus on quality.
    eddiec wrote:

How many times do we have to go over this? There is no proof that the lottery has gotten tickets in the hands of more fans, and in fact the lottery is more ripe for fraud than F5 due to the ease of entry.

- The lottery has caused:
    - More people to enter for shows they wouldn't have under F5 (hail mary for a popular show in the other leg)
    - More people to sign up for multiple memberships
    - More people who win tickets to trade their extra with other winners
    - More people to scalp tickets
  • Options
    MG79478 wrote:

How many times do we have to go over this? There is no proof that the lottery has gotten tickets in the hands of more fans, and in fact the lottery is more ripe for fraud than F5 due to the ease of entry.

- More people to enter for shows they wouldn't have under F5 (hail mary for a popular show in the other leg)

That's a lot of MORE's to support your argument that LESS people got tickets.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    MG79478 wrote:

Wow, another incredibly insightful and intelligent response filled with facts and counterpoints. But hey, I guess with such a quantity of posts, you can't focus on quality.
    you still dont have a clue,thats why more different fans scored tix with lottery and not the usual ones who scored always,and many of the fans scored tix for the 1st time after years at the club!!awesome..
    its time to learn the "tricks" of the lottery to score..
    oh wait..there is no tricks..no power..that crap ends..

and keep talking about me personally,like you think bringing the number of my post to the conversation will make your argument stronger..
    i dont give a fuck....i I've seen -heard all before..Bring it on cause I'm no victim...
    new sherriff in town..and you cant do anything about it...
  • Options
    @MG79478, please reread my post. I clearly stated my job doesn't allow me to sit at a PC hitting F5 for as long as it takes to get tickets, I have duties to attend to at work, it's not that complicated.

I can schedule vacation time whenever I want, I just won't do it when 3 sales in 2011 had to be postponed / rescheduled due to servers crashing. (EV solo, PJ20, and Canada). Were there any other ticket sales that year that went smoothly? If the answer is no, I would be inclined to think that was the new norm, not the exception. I have no interest in punishing people with "less crappy jobs", I was just stating the reasons why the lottery works for me.

While on the subject, isn't the server issue the main reason they went to the lottery in the first place?
  • Options
    MG79478 wrote:

That's a lot of MORE's to support your argument that LESS people got tickets.

Sigh... Did you read anything beyond the word "more"? How would someone with multiple memberships, help get tickets in to hands of other fans? How would an increase in scalping help get the tickets in to the hands of other fans? How does lottery winners trading with other lottery winners help get the tickets in to the hands of other fans? How does someone who already got a first priority show on one leg, throwing a "hail mary" first priority for the other leg help get tickets in to the hands of other fans?
    you still dont have a clue,thats why more different fans scored tix with lottery and not the usual ones who scored always,and many of the fans scored tix for the 1st time after years at the club!!awesome..
    its time to learn the "tricks" of the lottery to score..
    oh wait..there is no tricks..no power..that crap ends..

and keep talking about me personally,like you think bringing the number of my post to the conversation will make your argument stronger..
    i dont give a fuck....i I've seen -heard all before..Bring it on cause I'm no victim...
    new sherriff in town..and you cant do anything about it...

Haha... there are more tricks to the lottery! That's the irony of the situation.

I'm sorry you consider your post count to be something personal about you. That says a lot about what's important to you. I don't need to make my argument any stronger, unlike your close minded emotional responses, I post facts and counterpoints. It's like taking candy from a baby!

And yes, there is something that I and all the other lottery haters can do, and it is the EXACT same thing the F5 haters did for years... complain and hope for change. The lottery in it's current form is a failure, and at least needs to be fixed, if not eliminated.
  • Options
    @MG79478, please reread my post. I clearly stated my job doesn't allow me to sit at a PC hitting F5 for as long as it takes to get tickets, I have duties to attend to at work, it's not that complicated.

I can schedule vacation time whenever I want, I just won't do it when 3 sales in 2011 had to be postponed / rescheduled due to servers crashing. (EV solo, PJ20, and Canada). Were there any other ticket sales that year that went smoothly? If the answer is no, I would be inclined to think that was the new norm, not the exception. I have no interest in punishing people with "less crappy jobs", I was just stating the reasons why the lottery works for me.

While on the subject, isn't the server issue the main reason they went to the lottery in the first place?

@Merkin Baller, please reread my post. I clearly never ask why you can't sit at a PC all day hitting F5, or get anywhere near talking about hitting F5 all day at work. Here, will quote it for you:
    MG79478 wrote:
    What type of job prohibits you from taking vacation to get tickets, and from arranging for someone else with computer access to get them for you? (As for the "server crash" excuse, that was the exception, not the norm... and isn't a big enough factor to be worthy of mention.) And if such a job exists (it doesn't), why do you keep it? And why do you want to punish those who aren't stuck in such crappy jobs?

So there were problems with 3 sales out of how many hundred? (Every lottery so far 1/1 has been a mess.) PJ20 was bad, but I still got reserved tickets on the original on sale date. I think the EV problems were in Europe, and the Canadian show were obviously in Canada. Having all 3 of those problems affect you had to be an extremely rare occurrence. And if you go to so many shows that all 3 of those did affect you, then chances are it is still 3 out of hundreds. That's not bad!

So if you can schedule vacation whenever you want, I don't see the problem. Other people thought that it was important enough to take vacation. With F5 and enough time and effort, you could guarantee yourself tickets, that was totally worth a day off.

Do you really think that even people who sit in front of a PC all day, that their job "allows" them to buy tickets? They have to take a risk to move around their work schedule, and do it on company time. So maybe it's harder for you to get away with than others, but that is your choice. No job really allows their employees to do something like that, that's not why they pay you.

What about getting someone else to help? You didn't address that. Is there no friend, or relative that would have helped you get tickets? Or could you buy on a smart phone? If it wasn't for these methods, I wouldn't have been 100% with the F5 system. But some people see dead ends, others see minor obstacles. Think about it in terms of the "good old days" of waiting in line for tickets. The person who waited the longest should get the best tickets. But the longer you wait the more impact it has on your life. Based on how high of a priority those tickets are to you, you re-arrange your life to wait in line longer. If someone was willing to take off from work all week, and have the grandparents watch the kids, to wait in line, and you didn't because you have other priorities.... you don't deserve the tickets.
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,344
    Think about it in terms of the "good old days" of waiting in line for tickets. The person who waited the longest should get the best tickets. But the longer you wait the more impact it has on your life. Based on how high of a priority those tickets are to you, you re-arrange your life to wait in line longer. If someone was willing to take off from work all week, and have the grandparents watch the kids, to wait in line, and you didn't because you have other priorities.... you don't deserve the tickets.[/quote]

Waiting in line early for a couple of hours (or more) at a ticketing location with friends and socializing while seeing tangible progress made in front of you is very different than the solitary, pride-swallowing, frustrating hours that were spent trying to get tickets to shows using the former ticketing system.

Many posts have been written in the past 6 months by fans that claim they had a perfect/near-perfect success rate using the former system - that's great. However, the fact that some fans claim they were virtually guaranteed to get tickets using the old system suggests to most non-selfish people that the system needed to be changed. When purchasing your 10C membership it is clearly stated that you're not guaranteed tickets as the demand often exceeds the supply.

Enjoy the music and shows.
  • Options
    BF89905 wrote:

Waiting in line early for a couple of hours (or more) at a ticketing location with friends and socializing while seeing tangible progress made in front of you is very different than the solitary, pride-swallowing, frustrating hours that were spent trying to get tickets to shows using the former ticketing system.

Many posts have been written in the past 6 months by fans that claim they had a perfect/near-perfect success rate using the former system - that's great. However, the fact that some fans claim they were virtually guaranteed to get tickets using the old system suggests to most non-selfish people that the system needed to be changed. When purchasing your 10C membership it is clearly stated that you're not guaranteed tickets as the demand often exceeds the supply.

well said
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    BF89905 wrote:
    When purchasing your 10C membership it is clearly stated that you're not guaranteed tickets as the demand often exceeds the supply.

but again.... back in the nineties (when a lot of people signed up) it was implied that if you wanted tickets to see the band you should join the fan club - just sayin
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    BF89905 wrote:
    Think about it in terms of the "good old days" of waiting in line for tickets. The person who waited the longest should get the best tickets. But the longer you wait the more impact it has on your life. Based on how high of a priority those tickets are to you, you re-arrange your life to wait in line longer. If someone was willing to take off from work all week, and have the grandparents watch the kids, to wait in line, and you didn't because you have other priorities.... you don't deserve the tickets.

Enjoy the music and shows.[/quote]

It was rarely "hours" of frustration, but you know that.

You want to talk selfish... it's wanting a lottery because "it works for me, I have a shot at something for nothing". What kind of world do we live in when people could possibly think wanting to put effort out to achieve a goal is selfish?
  • Options
    new sherriff!!!!! bang bang bang!!
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,344
    MG79478 wrote:
    BF89905 wrote:
    Think about it in terms of the "good old days" of waiting in line for tickets. The person who waited the longest should get the best tickets. But the longer you wait the more impact it has on your life. Based on how high of a priority those tickets are to you, you re-arrange your life to wait in line longer. If someone was willing to take off from work all week, and have the grandparents watch the kids, to wait in line, and you didn't because you have other priorities.... you don't deserve the tickets.

It was rarely "hours" of frustration, but you know that.

You want to talk selfish... it's wanting a lottery because "it works for me, I have a shot at something for nothing". What kind of world do we live in when people could possibly think wanting to put effort out to achieve a goal is selfish?[/quote]
    Trying (unsuccessfully) to get 10C tickets for shows in NYC 2010, PJ20, and southern Ontario 2011 Canadian shows were hour(s)-long ordeals.

I have a shot at tickets because I paid for a 10C membership. I don't have a 100% success rate with the current lottery system and that's just fine - so long as hours of my personal time are not wasted refreshing a web page.

I agree with you that merit and effort should be determining factors for earning success in many areas of life.

You and I disagree that trying to get concert tickets through the 10C needs to/may require hours of personal time, computer-savviness unbeknownst to many members, and efforts from other family members and friends. That's fine, no hard feelings. Enjoy
  • Options
    I <3 the new system.
  • Options
    "MG79478 wrote:What type of job prohibits you from taking vacation to get tickets, and from arranging for someone else with computer access to get them for you? "

I never said my job prohibits me from taking vacation time to get tickets, I said I refused to take vacation time after going through 3 sales in 2011 in which the servers crashed and the sales got postponed. (I feel like if you had read it in its entirety you would have got that, apologies if it was unclear)

These were not problems with European concerts, these were right here in North America.
    I got my 10c tickets for Eddie Vedder in Hartford CT through the Bushnell theater website. I got my 10c tickets for Montreal in 2011 through Evenko (a Canadian version of Ticketmaster, maybe not as big). These companies (as well as Ticketmaster, and other ticket companies) had to facilitate the sales of numerous 10c tickets in 2011 because the website couldn't handle the traffic. I kind of feel like it was hard to be around here on the forum and not have heard about it, but maybe it wasn't as big a deal as I remember.

I was under the impression the 10c website couldn't handle the traffic anymore. For you to dismiss those server crashes and rescheduled 10c ticket sales as "not worth mentioning" is dismissing what I thought was a huge reason why they felt they had to come up with a new system. This way, they can still put 10c tickets into the hands of 10c members without going through companies like Evenko, Ticketmaster or whomever (for the obvious reasons of cost increase, fees etc.)

Please, somebody correct me if I'm wrong in thinking the server crashes were a huge reason for the lottery.

BF89905 also just brought up a great point.
    We shouldn't have to put in effort or time to get these tickets. As dues paying members we are guaranteed a chance to buy tickets. The lottery does just that. It guarantees me a chance.

You don't like it, that's your prerogative. If I like it, that's mine. To call people lazy and selfish and "wanting something for nothing" is a bit presumptuous. I don't want something for nothing, I want what I paid for with my dues, a chance to buy 10c tickets.

Good luck getting tickets to the shows you want to go to man, if the day of the show rolls around, and you're still empty-handed stay on Ticketmaster all day (if they handled the original sale)
    It's not uncommon for them to release tickets on the day of the show, even for high-demand shows like these.

Peace.
  • Options
    Merkin Baller

what a great post!!!!!
    i wish i could write so good English like you!!!

RESPECT!!!
  • Options
    I have been a faithful club member since 2006. Actually was one since 1998 but let me membership slip and re-upped in 2006, anyways, I tried getting 10c tix all these years and never got them til this year (GA Worcester 2) I have seen and experience the old and current system and I believe in my opinion that the new system is fairest. Thank you 10c. :D
    In my lifetime, I have conquered the Multiverse by force of trUth.
  • Options
    Oh.....I like Greek style... :lol::lol::lol: D!!
    In my lifetime, I have conquered the Multiverse by force of trUth.
This discussion has been closed.