Options

New Lottery System

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    I have a few points to add to this discussion.

First, multiple memberships are most definitely an advantage under the new lottery system. Under the F5 system you could attempt to get tickets to as many shows as you wanted. Your odds were determined by a combination of the demand for the show, your proficiency with the system, and your internet connection. But, unless you wanted more than two tickets to a specific show there was no need for another membership since this didn't appreciably increase your chances of winning.

With the lottery, that's just not true. Multiple memberships are a significant benefit. And I'm not talking anything against the rules (using multiple addresses, fake ID's, etc). It's a simple as signing up your +1. This could be your friend, spouse, or family member. Most of us will be going to the show with someone else we know. If that person is going to be at the event then they can easily pick up the tickets.

In the F5 system your friend wouldn't need to be in the club. He could rely on you to get all the tickets. But, with the lottery both you and he would have equal chance to get tickets. So, for $20 you could double the chances of getting a single show OR more than double your chance of getting multiple shows. Sure, you may risk getting multiple pairs to a single show but with the high demand these should be relatively easy to get rid of.

Unrestricted GA access just makes this worse. Want to try for GA and not risk not getting tickets to a specific show? Just have your ticket partner add a membership right before the lottery is announced. Have him choose GA as #1 priority and choose reserved for your #1 priority. You have a very good chance to get at least one pair.

All of this reminds me of the old days when the club offered only one pair of tickets to one show. I went to all the Pearl Jam shows with two of my friends and we all put in for different shows and shared the tickets so that we'd be able to go to more than one show. Again, all within the rules.
    so...you sign 5 dif memberships..lottery..won all..5 different people..5 different cities..you-mother-dad-granma-sister..you will drive anyone to all those places,to pick up the tickets??
    dad to hartford,mom to buffalo,grand ma to spokane,sister to pitsburg, you to ny shows??

what if u loose all??

just lost 100 per year...at memberships..and what if they dont tour at usa for the next 2-3 years?
    you spent 300 for no shows..
    sure..can happen..

I never stated that a normal member would be looking to sign up for 5 or 6 memberships. Obviously the logistics of that make it impossible. But I believe that the vast majority of fans go to only one or two shows a tour. Sure, lots of fans travel to shows but I think that they are the exception rather than the rule.

I also think that most fans know who they plan to take to their show or shows. If that's the case for you, then under this lottery you can significantly increase your chances of getting tickets by purchasing a membership for that person. Not 5 memberships with your wife, your sister, your Dad, your Mom, and your college buddy. Just one extra membership.... $20. And there is nothing to force you to renew it every year.
    Boston (4/10/94), Hartford (10/2/96), Barre (8/22/98), Hartford (9/13/98), Mansfield (9/15/98 + 9/16/98), Mansfield (8/29/00 + 8/30/00), Mansfield (7/2/03 + 7/11/03), Boston (9/28/04), Hartford (5/13/06), Boston (5/24/06 + 5/25/06), Hartford (6/27/08), Mansfield (6/28/08 + 6/30/08), Philadelphia (10/31/09), Hartford (5/15/10), Worcester (10/15/13 + 10/16/13), Hartford (10/25/13), New York (5/1/16), Boston (8/5/16 + 8/7/16), Boston (9/2/18 + 9/4/18)
  • Options
    Whipping_BoyWhipping_Boy Plantation, FL Posts: 138
    I'll go with the flow with the new lottery system with it's inherent flaws.
    Would just love for them to mix it up every tour and play some 10c only, seniority seating gigs!

All they have to do is apply seniority status via a weighted formula to the odds of winning the lottery. That is the only thing that I can think of that would bring things back in line and could justify keeping the lottery system.

I do like one thing about the new system and that is allowing for all members to have a chance at GA/pit. That was a nice twist which essentially elaborated on the previous lottery system for rows 1, 2, 10, and 11. I do think its a good idea to give newer members a shot at the pit.

But you simply can't have members of 15+ years being shut-out completely in place of members with 1 year or less. Giving members with seniority a better chance at winning the lottery ensures that 1.) everyone has a chance at tix and 2.) long time members have better odds.

And contrary to what others are saying - access to tix is the main reason why people join in the first place and seniority is the only reason people pay their dues every year. But the importance of seniority took a major blow with the implementation of the lottery - at least in its current form.
  • Options
    Why would you and your ticket buddy both having memberships be a big deal? Actually sounds like what you would have liked for everyone. Why even allow non 10c members access to any ticket they sell? Isn't that more in line with your thinking? So what if your ticket buddy joins and you both get tix to different shows? Sounds fair and fine to me. And you get 2 shows.

And enough with the seniority. It was never used in GETTING tix. Only where you sat once you did. No different than now. So, to get back to the way it was is equal footing for any member to get tix. the way it still is.

Your logic is hypocritical at best.

Ps and please everyone stop posting your win %. Your calculations are off 100% of the time. It's stunning the lack of ability to understand rules and simple statistics.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,928
    This thread is done. See the Posting Guidelines.

Posting Guidelines
    1. Be nice. We're very big on RESPECT here. Respect for each other, the band and the Ten Club Community forum environment. Please think of it as if you are as a guest in someone else's home. Please do not put your posting privileges at risk.

2. Discuss, disagree and debate politely. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here. This includes abusive Private Messages.

a. We operate on the "I'm rubber, you're glue" philosophy so if you make a wonderful, thoughtful post with good points and call the other guy a moron while you're at it, it'll be removed. See #3.

3. There are people bashing and insulting each other all over the internet. We feel it can be better here.

4. Please respect topic integrity by not derailing discussions from the original poster’s intent (OP).
This discussion has been closed.