Options

New Lottery System

Comments

• Options
    Paul, working with computers, is there any special system or set up, server, to help you get tickets faster? I know they put those two words your supposed to type but couldn't people find a loop hole for something like that
  • Options
    Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    Paul, working with computers, is there any special system or set up, server, to help you get tickets faster? I know they put those two words your supposed to type but couldn't people find a loop hole for something like that

About the best you can do is have a good internet connection, a modern browser that is functioning properly and patience. Setting your clock to the world atomic clock probably helps so your time is most likely the same as the server time (if they use that as their clock).

Thing is, all these tricks people use, like running bots, auto refresh plugins, opening multiple windows in different browsers and machines just means that the load on the site increases; furthering the chance of the site crashing under the load.

If everyone just hit the site once and waited, you'd probably find the site would slow down but cope. Hitting F5 over and over just makes it worse for everyone.
  • Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    vant0037 wrote:
    Your "control" was an illusion.

I felt like Morpheus saying that, but it's true.

Yes, and those of us who NEVER missed out on 10C tickets, that's all just a coincidence. Having one person go 100% over 20-30 shows would be a statisical anomoly, having many is impossible. It may make you feel better to think that we didn't control our own destiny, but in fact we did.
    RE4790 wrote:
    rival. wrote:
    i am still confused how people think that the F5 method was NOT a lottery.

you were either lucky enough or not to get into 10C's crashed site. same odds as the new system.

We make a distinction between a functioning system vs. a crashing one. The system only crashed for a handful of shows. For the first half dozen in 2010, it was easy.

Also, please remember that making the system easy means more people will try. Thus the odds are not the same.

F5 was a lottery for those who didn't want to put a lot of effort and time in to it. For those fans who refused to not get tickets and would put in the time and effort required... you were pretty much garaunteed tickets. Everyone had equal opportunity to put in time and effort in to the F5 system. It was honestly a best of both worlds, as close to perfect system as could get. People also love to use PJ20 as an example, that was the only bad ticket experience I ever had. I scored most 10C tickets instantly, or within a few minutes... nearly all within an hour.

I do agree that the odds are worse for all now, because of the ease of entry in to the lottery. I just hope that 10C hears the masses and positive change back to F5 can occur.
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,843
    BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

The new system ROCKS!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    MG79478 wrote:

Those of us who NEVER missed out on 10C tickets, that's all just a coincidence. Having one person go 100% over 20-30 shows would be a statisical anomoly, having many is impossible. It may make you feel better to think that we didn't control our own destiny, but in fact we did.
    RE4790 wrote:
    rival. wrote:
    i am still confused how people think that the F5 method was NOT a lottery.

you were either lucky enough or not to get into 10C's crashed site. same odds as the new system.

We make a distinction between a functioning system vs. a crashing one. The system only crashed for a handful of shows. For the first half dozen in 2010, it was easy.

Also, please remember that making the system easy means more people will try. Thus the odds are not the same.

F5 was a lottery for those who didn't want to put a lot of effort and time in to it. For those fans who refused to not get tickets and would put in the time and effort required... you were pretty much garaunteed tickets. Everyone had equal opportunity to put in time and effort in to the F5 system. It was honestly a best of both worlds, as close to perfect system as could get. People also love to use PJ20 as an example, that was the only bad ticket experience I ever had. I scored most 10C tickets instantly, or within a few minutes... nearly all within an hour.

I do agree that the odds are worse for all now, because of the ease of entry in to the lottery. I just hope that 10C hears the masses and positive change back to F5 can occur.

Thank you. That was well said and I feel like I've been writing a variation of it since the lotto started but it's almost impossible to get through to anyone on here. How can people say they are both equal lotteries when I was able to f5 my way to over 20 shows? Never missed once. This also includes all my friends. We simply prepared ourselves for the worst and hung in there. Most times is was only about 15 minutes or so, sometimes a little longer but whatever. I remember coming no here the instant I scored and seeing several threads of people already complaining that they lost when the sale wasn't even over yet!!!

Also, everyone's odds of winning have gone down because more people are throwing their hat in. I know this to be true not only because it's obvious that if you make something easier, more people will enter, but also because it's caused me to alter my behavior as well. I'm only going to Chicago because of the lotto system. With the old system, my brother and I knew we could pretty much get 10C tickets to any show we wanted so we would have waited for the fall tour. However, knowing that our odds will be complete shit when they play the New York area we decided to enter for Chicago. If we won, we won. If not, whatever. Turns out, we won GA and Lower Bowl so now there are FOUR dickheads from New York going to a Chicago show that they never would have even tried for if not for the lottery decreasing one's odds and sense of security that you'll score when they come to your hometown. We got super lucky but that doesn't change how I feel about it because I disagree with it on principal and I won't change my mind because of my personal good fortune (which will almost certainly run out when they play my city). And I guarantee the number of entrants in the lotto vs. people who sat in front of their computers during the f5 system will skyrocket when they come to NYC and Boston.

Anyway, I realize we're talking about tickets to a rock concert and it's obviously not the most important thing in the world but I feel compelled to respond to this stuff sometimes.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    october22 wrote:
    Thank you. That was well said and I feel like I've been writing a variation of it since the lotto started but it's almost impossible to get through to anyone on here. How can people say they are both equal lotteries when I was able to f5 my way to over 20 shows? Never missed once. This also includes all my friends. We simply prepared ourselves for the worst and hung in there. Most times is was only about 15 minutes or so, sometimes a little longer but whatever. I remember coming no here the instant I scored and seeing several threads of people already complaining that they lost when the sale wasn't even over yet!!!

i don't know, i guess i am just the unlucky 1% that has been shut out on a constant basis since the F5 system became THE system. lost out on the two NJ shows in 2006, two MSG shows in 2008, two MSG shows in 2010. and this is after preparing for the worst (taking off from work), and hanging in there (F5'ing for 6/7 hours ).

i never once complained about that system, i just chalked it up to being unlucky and i was still able to go to all of those shows as i was able to score during the public sale.

there is no way the 10C can go back to that system without upgrading their site and servers though.

this picture was my enemy:
    load01ton.jpg
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    rival. wrote:

i don't know, i guess i am just the unlucky 1% that has been shut out on a constant basis since the F5 system became THE system. lost out on the two NJ shows in 2006, two MSG shows in 2008, two MSG shows in 2010. and this is after preparing for the worst (taking off from work), and hanging in there (F5'ing for 6/7 hours ).

One of the reasons for the lottery could be right there, people traveling to shows and everyone just wants the 2 most in demand shows of the tour. It seems outside of the NYC/Boston/Philly corridor, Seattle, and maybe LA, tickets were not that hard to come by before. Not counting PJ20. They could probably sell every other show on the site and just hold lotteries for those cities.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    So this is still a issue.

Move on and get over it.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    lather
    rinse
    repeat
    lather
    rinse
    repeat
    lather
    rinse
    repeat
    lather
    rinse
    repeat
    lather
    rinse
    repeat
    lather
    rinse
    repeat
    lather
    rinse
    repeat
  • Options
    october22 wrote:

Also, everyone's odds of winning have gone down because more people are throwing their hat in. I know this to be true not only because it's obvious that if you make something easier, more people will enter, but also because it's caused me to alter my behavior as well. I'm only going to Chicago because of the lotto system. With the old system, my brother and I knew we could pretty much get 10C tickets to any show we wanted so we would have waited for the fall tour. However, knowing that our odds will be complete shit when they play the New York area we decided to enter for Chicago. If we won, we won. If not, whatever. Turns out, we won GA and Lower Bowl so now there are FOUR dickheads from New York going to a Chicago show that they never would have even tried for if not for the lottery decreasing one's odds and sense of security that you'll score when they come to your hometown. We got super lucky but that doesn't change how I feel about it because I disagree with it on principal and I won't change my mind because of my personal good fortune (which will almost certainly run out when they play my city). And I guarantee the number of entrants in the lotto vs. people who sat in front of their computers during the f5 system will skyrocket when they come to NYC and Boston.

Anyway, I realize we're talking about tickets to a rock concert and it's obviously not the most important thing in the world but I feel compelled to respond to this stuff sometimes.

You’re preaching to the choir here! Unfortunately I find that most don't want to hold intelligent and thoughtful debate, their goal is to hurl personal attacks at you and drag you down to their level, and then report you to the mods. It's childish and sad.

We have very similar experiences; I simply refused to give up on tickets. I put in the necessary time and effort to achieve my goal. That included pre-work to understand the system, enlisting friends and family to help, moving around meetings at work, etc. I have a life, family, and extremely demanding career, yet I could still make it work 100% of the time. (Many STILL use family/life/job as an excuse for not liking F5, I simply refused to make excuses, and always found a way.) Unfortunately some on here see these actions as "cheating", but it's no more cheating than the athlete who spends more time in the gym than anyone else. In the future, I’ll try for shows that I wouldn’t have in the past, and plan a trip if I win. It’s just the nature of the system.
    DURP wrote:

Move on and get over it.

So it was OK for people who hated F5 to complain until we got a lottery... and now despite the massive backlash against the lottery, and the unforeseen consequences, the debate is over simply because you got your way?

It is still an issue, and will be until positive change can occur, so move on and get over it.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,969
    I missed out on tickets to the Hartford show in 2010. I was in front of my computer at 6pm when they went on sale, F5'd like madman for ninety minutes, kept F5ing through a period of Temporarily Out Of Stock...and then after about two hours all tickets were gone. No one who scored tickets that day worked harder than I did. That argument is complete bunk. I was unlucky that day, nothing more.

Unless, of course, someone found a "shortcut" or a way to "cheat the system". Then that is a different story. Cheating should never be rewarded. That the lottery has eliminated such cheating makes it all the more worthwhile.

And before any phony offense is taken, I am not saying everyone who got tickets through the F5 method was cheating. But some of us were.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    MG79478 wrote:
    DURP wrote:

Move on and get over it.

So it was OK for people who hated F5 to complain until we got a lottery... and now despite the massive backlash against the lottery, and the unforeseen consequences, the debate is over simply because you got your way?

It is still an issue, and will be until positive change can occur, so move on and get over it.

Lotto or F5 I don't care. Hey guess what at the end of the day it's just a rock bands fan club. Nothing more nothing less. It has zero impact on my daily life. I'm not laying in bed at night sweating through the sheets worrying if I will be able to obtain 10c tixs ever again.

And what unforeseen consequences? One show sold out and somehow this is ten club and Pearl Jams fault. Nobody here is owed anything. You want to point a finger throw one at wrigleyville. Really each eligable member could buy six tickets. No wonder this thing sold out quick. Then you have season ticker holders. Then your corporate areas. Everyone heard Wrigley and just assumed that everyone would get a ticket. Well we all know what happens when you assume.

I don't know about saying the debate is over. If you mean not getting 10c tickets or gen public tixs then yes I got my way. Did the lotto suck for me? Yup this time it did.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Curious to see if anyone else filled out the feedback survey on the new lottery system. As I know must of you probably feel the same way I do and wish they went back to the old system. At least then I felt like I had a better chance when I was actually hitting the keyboard instead of waiting in some virtual waiting room. Would love some feedback.

Jeff

The new system is way easier for the 10 club. No server crashes, and it is convenient for all members and gives everyone equal shot at tickets. Its not going anywhere and I don't see any changes coming, at least until it has gone through one tour. People need to accept it.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    I really hopes it goes away. The earlier comment said it all, the new system makes it way easier for people to participate. The more people involved, the less chance to score great seats. I would say some of the people who entered the lottery, wouldn't sit in front of the computer pressing a button for several hours. Like I said when I initially posted the comment, I was just curious what other members thought that's all. Also to gripe that I didn't get Chicago tickets, by the way anyone who reads this and might have an extra or an in PM me.

Jeff
  • Options
    The new system is way easier for the 10 club.
    How so, it's not like the 10C needs to do anything else before/during/after an F5 sale? They simply have to deal with the complaints, of which there are surely more with the lottery. Depending on whether the lottery is completely automated or not, they might actually have significantly more work required to choose and notify winners, and run second chance lotteries.
    No server crashes, and it is convenient for all members and gives everyone equal shot at tickets.

Server crashers were RARE, and not even worth discussing. The lottery is more convenient for the members who win; it’s much less convenient for those shut out. Everyone had an equal shot to put in time and effort in the F5 system. Odds are worse now in the lottery, due to how easy it is to enter, so while everyone may have equal odds of winning, those odds are significantly reduced from F5.
    Its not going anywhere and I don't see any changes coming, at least until it has gone through one tour. People need to accept it.

This is simply conjecture on your part. This could have been a short time trial, and we are going to something much better soon. The lottery has been an utter failure, and many want to see it go away. People need to accept it.
  • Options
    DURP wrote:
    Lotto or F5 I don't care.

You at least cared enough to make a post on the topic.
    DURP wrote:
    And what unforeseen consequences?

Let me preface this by saying "unforseen by most", some of us saw this coming. But most didn't expect to have their odds actually decrease due to the ease of entry. Most didn't expect scalpers to get their hands on more 10C tickets and drive up prices on the secondary market. Most didn't expect to have problems with the lottery rules. To name a few.
    DURP wrote:
    Nobody here is owed anything.

I'm pretty sure that all paying members of the 10C are owed stuff, even if that is just a crappy T-shirt or a sheet of stickers.
    DURP wrote:
    I don't know about saying the debate is over.

Well then you probably shouldn't have said it:
    DURP wrote:

Move on and get over it.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,756
    MG79478 wrote:
    The lottery has been an utter failure, and many want to see it go away. People need to accept it.

How was the lottery a failure? It seemed to be a pretty smooth operation to me.
  • Options
    The new lottery system ROCKS!!!!
  • Options
    RE4790RE4790 Posts: 795
    MG79478 wrote:
    The lottery has been an utter failure, and many want to see it go away. People need to accept it.

How was the lottery a failure? It seemed to be a pretty smooth operation to me.

This.

I dislike the lotto and support a return to the old system for the reasons that have been outlined here and in countless other threads, but the lotto was executed very well. (We will see just how well when countless pairs of Wrigley tickets pop-up on Craigslist on the day of the show.)

I wouldn't get too comfortable with it though. If there are a series on NE tour dates this fall, the pro-lotto will see the consequences of their advocacy and the nerd-rage will go to 11. Ironically, pearljam.com now sits on AWS which allows for dynamic scaling and load balancing of processing resources should the 10C choose to switch back to the method that worked for nearly a decade before the "my opinion of fairness" crowd took over.
  • Options
    RE4790 wrote:

I dislike the lotto and support a return to the old system for the reasons that have been outlined here and in countless other threads, but the lotto was executed very well. (We will see just how well when countless pairs of Wrigley tickets pop-up on Craigslist on the day of the show.)

I wouldn't get too comfortable with it though. If there are a series on NE tour dates this fall, the pro-lotto will see the consequences of their advocacy and the nerd-rage will go to 11. Ironically, pearljam.com now sits on AWS which allows for dynamic scaling and load balancing of processing resources should the 10C choose to switch back to the method that worked for nearly a decade before the "my opinion of fairness" crowd took over.

Very true. You and MG79478 are right on. I'm very curious how they are going to section off a north east tour and allow you to "win" only one pair per show block. That's why my brother and I took four 10C tickets from the hands of local Chicago fans. Because I know the north east will be even more flooded now and my odds here will be even worse. So now to get the full benefit of the club in the way I used to enjoy it, I have to say, "fuck it, I'll try for almost every show until I get lucky and then I'll make a road trip out of it." With the old system, I'd get 10C tix from NYC right up through New England for all the shows I wanted. Some of my best memories. Of course no one is stopping those trips from happening again but in those days my friends and I ALL had 10C tickets.

We all prepared and stayed in communication for the purchasing process and helped each other if we could and we got "lucky" every time. Except it wasn't luck. We were the beneficiaries of planning and persistence. I don't know when that became such a horrible concept. People who claim that the odds of winning the lotto vs F5 are the same are completely wrong. It's bullshit to claim we had the "illusion of control" when that "illusion" awarded us tickets every time.

All that being said, judging from the nature of this board and this club, I really don't see them doing away with the lottery. They may make some kind of adjustments but sadly I think it's here to stay.
  • Options
    Fuck F5
  • Options
    Not liking the lottery is one thing. Can it be improved? Is it the best method for selling tickets? These are legitimate questions. But hitting f5 for hours on end was nowhere in the design of the old system. We were forced to do that because the system was broken. Lottery critics lose some support when they advocate for a return to a broken ticketing system.

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Fuck your lotto....i'm not entering it
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    JimmyV wrote:
    Not liking the lottery is one thing. Can it be improved? Is it the best method for selling tickets? These are legitimate questions. But hitting f5 for hours on end was nowhere in the design of the old system. We were forced to do that because the system was broken. Lottery critics lose some support when they advocate for a return to a broken ticketing system.

The F5 was a result of using a system running on a 386 processor.

get a real system to handle the sale and f5 goes away.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

And suggesting that makes perfect sense. Suggesting that the old system was perfect and that we should be sitting in front of our computers for hours on end does not.

• Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    81 wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

And suggesting that makes perfect sense. Suggesting that the old system was perfect and that we should be sitting in front of our computers for hours on end does not.

nobody likes hitting f5 endlessly...i view it more as a term to represent a normal sale process....log in, click buy, check out. use the TM process like they did for a few of the shows in 2011. that seemed to work pretty good.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,756
    81 wrote:
    nobody likes hitting f5 endlessly...i view it more as a term to represent a normal sale process....log in, click buy, check out. use the TM process like they did for a few of the shows in 2011. that seemed to work pretty good.

I get what you're saying, but hitting F5 for hours is nothing close to normal. Until they can fix the old system, I think the lottery is the best way to go.
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    81 wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

Who's suggesting that?
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

Based on some defenses of the previous system I have read there are at least a few who do think we should be required to hit f5 endlessly. I question whether some of those people actually were hitting f5 for hours or if they were exploiting some loophole to cheat the system, but only they know that for sure.

Agreed, the TM process we used for...was it Canada 2011?...worked like a charm. I had no hassles or issues getting my tickets. I would not be opposed to seeing that explored as an option in the future.

I used to love wearing my f5 t-shirt to shows but know if I do it now I am going to be in one debate after another about this. The preparty, the beer line, the bathroom...it' will never end! :lol:

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    With the old system I expected to get tickets to most shows I tried for, and was disappointed if I didn't.

With the new system, I expect to get shut out of tickets to all shows I try for and will be shocked if I win.

It is what it is now.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
This discussion has been closed.