***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2013 Thread***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    i think i'm gonna be listening to lost dogs all day at work tomorrow.
    www.myspace.com
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    i think i'm gonna be listening to lost dogs all day at work tomorrow.

I listened to that all weekend a few weekends ago.

I'll have to check out that Puzzles and Games, don't think I've ever heard it.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I would guess that most people just want the new stuff to be good so they tolerate it more than they would other bands. There are a few good songs. I've heard a lot worse stuff on the radio.

Since the shows I've been listening to the 4 Spectrum shows. Good times.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    I have to agree that 2 albums in 7 years is a pretty low output. in today's world where a song can be put out fairly quickly it doesn't make a lot of sense. I think in some ways PJ has become a way for these guys to make their money and not such a passion anymore with recording new stuff. obviously they bring it every night live which is fantastic especially for us in the Northeast who get to see them almost every year. as for Lightning Bolt I think one of the problems is the sequencing of this album is awful. there isn't a great flow to it. I've already whittled this album down to about 6 or 7 of the songs and pretty much skip the rest but that happens on most albums. Other than Vs. I don't think there has been a PJ album that hasn't had a few songs to skip on it. as for me other than when an album just comes out I usually don't listen to the studio versions very often anyways. I much prefer the boots.
    found the lyrics for Puzzles and Games but can't find a link to hear it? Can anyone help with that?

I agree with PJhawks too, I think they've lost that desire to record new stuff. Let's face it, it's not easy to write music and lyrics. They still do have the passion to play live and I guess we have to accept that for what it is.

Think about it, they're all older, raising families, and they don't need the money. If you had the opportunity to do whatever you wanted daily and spend all the time you want with your family, I think you would choose that path as well.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    Yeah, I used to wear out their albums, but the last 3 that's definitely not true.

And I completely understand that they're getting older, have families, etc etc. I'm just saying the albums seem like half-assed efforts. If they can't actually form an album organicially then stop making albums and just tour and do solo stuff. Because I actually like their solo stuff lately better than the group stuff. You can't just walk into a studio individually and fill in parts to complete a song as a whole - you end up with albums that are all over the place, like the past 3.

You should be able to get Puzzles & Games off of gremmie.net or it's on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq30onC7l0c
    found the lyrics for Puzzles and Games but can't find a link to hear it? Can anyone help with that?

I agree with PJhawks too, I think they've lost that desire to record new stuff. Let's face it, it's not easy to write music and lyrics. They still do have the passion to play live and I guess we have to accept that for what it is.

Think about it, they're all older, raising families, and they don't need the money. If you had the opportunity to do whatever you wanted daily and spend all the time you want with your family, I think you would choose that path as well.

i wish i was better at this stuff. you know what, pm norm to send you a link to download it. :lol: that dude has everything. it's a great song.

you're right. they are all about 50 years old. i cannot think of many band's who, over 2 decades in, still churn out music as good as this. it's not what it was, but it's still good. they will probably never be able to match anything as good from their first 10 years. but i think this is their best one since binaural. and i think they're still great live, different-but still great (a pj show is more of a celebration now than the shear raw energy it was back in the day). i mean, i'll take that at this point in their career. expectations have to be a little different now than they were in 1998, right?

.....however, yes--if they go another 4 years until their next album, i'd much prefer something different. like a double album or something. more experimental. get back to not exactly caring that it makes it to the top of the charts. they might still have something like this in them, if they put in the time. they showed glimpses of it on lb.
    www.myspace.com
    You should be able to get Puzzles & Games off of gremmie.net or it's on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq30onC7l0c

Thanks, that worked. I hear the similarities music wise to Light Years and also Thumbing as someone else mentioned, but this is a song in and of itself. I really liked it.
    Yas got me listening to Lost Dogs now. Never a bad time...
    let's continue the non phillies talk...anyone like the new arcade fire? i like the new sound. like it a lot.
    www.myspace.com
  • let's continue the non phillies talk...anyone like the new arcade fire? i like the new sound. like it a lot.

That new album is fucking awesome. Wasn't crazy about it the first listen, but now I can't stop listening to it. "Normal Person" is my favorite on the album. Can't wait to check these guys out live.
    This thread is about the Phils in title only...

I gotta get on buying more albums lately...Last thing I bought I think was Daft Punk's new album. Other than that, I've been mostly going the Pandora route with weird mixes.
  • Yeah, I get that feelin too. Maybe they can take that time to actually make an album.

I changed my mind after listening to this album for the umpteenth time.....yeah, it fuckin sucks.

Awesome songs-
    Getaway
    My Father's Son
    Pendulum

Good songs -
    Sleeping Byf Myself
    Lightning Bolt
    Future Days
    Mind Your Manners

Shit -
    Sirens
    Let The Records Play (definitely hear that Jeepers Creepers)
    Yellow Moon
    Swallowed Whole
    Infallible (this should be good, but its not)

Sorry for being a dick, but this album is screaming dog poop to me and I can't help it.. Way too many shit songs.

I love people on The Porch eatin this stuff up. The band could, literally, infuse their own feces into a vinyl album and people would say it was their best work yet.

Again, sorry for being a dick, but this album sucks, so it disappoints me. The last 3 albums they've averaged about 4-ish years between albums and this is what they've been coming up with. Christ.

End of rant.

How could it suck if you think three songs are awesome and four songs are good? 7 out of 12 isn't bad at all. And even that's just opinion. I think My Father's Son is horrible but you think it's awesome. I think Mind You Manners is awesome and you just think it's good. I think Infallible is good and you think it's shit. All opinions. But digging 7 out of 12 songs isn't half bad at all. I liked ONE Backspacer song. And even the one isn't all that great.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Yeah, I get that feelin too. Maybe they can take that time to actually make an album.

I changed my mind after listening to this album for the umpteenth time.....yeah, it fuckin sucks.

Awesome songs-
    Getaway
    My Father's Son
    Pendulum

Good songs -
    Sleeping Byf Myself
    Lightning Bolt
    Future Days
    Mind Your Manners

Shit -
    Sirens
    Let The Records Play (definitely hear that Jeepers Creepers)
    Yellow Moon
    Swallowed Whole
    Infallible (this should be good, but its not)

Sorry for being a dick, but this album is screaming dog poop to me and I can't help it.. Way too many shit songs.

I love people on The Porch eatin this stuff up. The band could, literally, infuse their own feces into a vinyl album and people would say it was their best work yet.

Again, sorry for being a dick, but this album sucks, so it disappoints me. The last 3 albums they've averaged about 4-ish years between albums and this is what they've been coming up with. Christ.

End of rant.

How could it suck if you think three songs are awesome and four songs are good? 7 out of 12 isn't bad at all. And even that's just opinion. I think My Father's Son is horrible but you think it's awesome. I think Mind You Manners is awesome and you just think it's good. I think Infallible is good and you think it's shit. All opinions. But digging 7 out of 12 songs isn't half bad at all. I liked ONE Backspacer song. And even the one isn't all that great.

It's more about what's awful about it - so solid, good, albums shouldn't have 5 shitty songs on it. And I sure mean shitty.
    Speakin of the Phils, I just got off the phone with my sales rep regarding my season tickets. Definitely sounds like they're gonna go hard after an outfielder and some pitching....
    congrats to shane on winning another one and playing a big role.

but f boston. can't believe that city won another fn title.

sox winning a title after a 93 loss season at least gives a phils a glimmer. ryan come back healthy. get a good right handed bat (somehow get Giancarlo Stanton...we can only hope) and about 4 new bullpen guys.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited October 2013
    Speakin of the Phils, I just got off the phone with my sales rep regarding my season tickets. Definitely sounds like they're gonna go hard after an outfielder and some pitching....

Couldn't tell if you were being facetious, but If your ticket sales rep knows what this team is going to do in the offseason then this organization is even more fucked up than I thought. which is really saying something. I'm not renewing my season tickets until amaro is gone. First time since they signed thome that I won't have season tix...and I really don't care because before the offseason even takes place I already know they are going to suck.

Seeing PJ at Baltimore arena was pretty fucking cool. Place is a complete dump...felt like I was watching a show in a high school gym. Loved it.

Agree with consensus about new album. I didn't understand all the fawning over MYM when it came out...it's OK, but pretty generic to me. And like I said before, Sirens is the worst song to ever be included on a PJ album. KOL-esque.

I do still love seeing this band live. Last 10 days have been awesome
    Post edited by The Fixer on

I stay out of The Porch and argue with people here instead. At least I know the people who argue in here aren't complete fanboys (though, c'mon, we really are). I'm just not stupid. Ya ever argue with a crazy religious person? That'll be the same thing that happens there.

Funny.

You were wearing your PJ Halloween shirt when you posted your rant weren't you?
    The Fixer wrote:

I stay out of The Porch and argue with people here instead. At least I know the people who argue in here aren't complete fanboys (though, c'mon, we really are). I'm just not stupid. Ya ever argue with a crazy religious person? That'll be the same thing that happens there.

Funny.

Huh? Is that what the kids are wearing?
  • Nice discussion. Agree that the last two albums have been kind of mediocre. On Backspacer I like Got Some (specifically Matt's drumming which is crazy) and Force of Nature. I actually enjoy live versions of The End but the studio version is syrupy and awful.

Riot Act started to click with me when I heard some of the songs in bootlegs. They really translate well live and that in turn makes the studio versions click a little bit.

As far as the Avocado album, I simply don't understand the dislike for it. Listened to it on the way to Baltimore (although they didn't play any of it :evil: ) and confirmed again it's a phenomenal album. Great rocking songs, some cool mid-tempos, a weird song in Army Reserve, a soulful EV death song that could be played at a funeral, and Mike's amazing life story epic to end it. It's not experimental like Binaural & Riot Act but it sounds like Pearl Jam, it rocks and the songs all sound great live. What else could you want? I put it right up there with the 90s albums.

If they had put Sad & Fatal on Binaural I'd have that up there too; could've jetissoned Evacuation and Soon Forget (maybe made this a hidden track). I said all this on the Porch and got beat up on by the religious crazies. :lol:

I've listened to LB probably 4 or 5 times and, yeah, it's really not that good. Unfortunately at this point we need to think of Pearl Jam as more of a touring band that puts out an occasional so so album. I don't know if I expect to ever hear anything great from them again along the lines of, ahem, AVOCADO! :mrgreen:

Started to listen to Reflektor but it's been hard to find time. Just heard layers and layers of intricate awesome music. I'm really looking forward to burying myself in that album. They are reputed to be a legendary live band. Last time around my wife was really pregnant when they came and the timing wasn't good. Really want to see them this time.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    pjhawks wrote:

sox winning a title after a 93 loss season at least gives a phils a glimmer. ryan come back healthy. get a good right handed bat (somehow get Giancarlo Stanton...we can only hope) and about 4 new bullpen guys.

No, it doesn't give them hope. Not sure why people keep saying this.

Also not sure why people want stanton so badly. Dude isn't even 25 yet and cannot stay on the field. No thanks
    The Fixer wrote:

Funny.

Huh? Is that what the kids are wearing?

that's what the true fanboys wear. was a bad joke
  • The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

Also not sure why people want stanton so badly. Dude isn't even 25 yet and cannot stay on the field. No thanks

Right. No hope as far as I can see.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Nelson Cruz?
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

why do people keep saying this? for one because a team just won it all after losing 93 games...and most people choose not to live their lives as a miserable f--- who puts everything and everyone down (except the flyers who I see you've abandoned that thread after your 'I feel good about where this organization is' statement last year)

I'm guessing you were one of those guys who probably would have wanted the Red Sox to release Oritz back in 2010 when he was coming off injuries and struggling mightily. boy are the sox glad they didn't do that.

as for Stanton - what are the alternatives? best 2 free agents are Ellsbury who is another lefty and who is going to be substantially overpaid in free agency and beltran who is older and not much healthier.
    And Choo.

If Ellsbury could actually stay on the field I would take him over anybody, then Choo.

What's overrated is this whole "too many lefties in the lineup" nonsense. Unless your lefties are all Ryan Howard this is a retarded notion - when the league is 70% right-handed when it comes to pitching I'll take a lefty lineup 1-8, thank you very much.

I'll always take a lefty hitter over a righty all things equal any day.

And what's also overrated is comparing the Red Sox losing season last season to that of the Phils this season. Two totally different situations. A completely dumb comparison, actually.

Fixer -

My thing about talking to the sales rep about them signing someone big had nothing to do with what the sales rep knew like they gotta line to Amaro. It's what they were saying in regards to season ticket invoices coming in - which they're not. I could get into the economics of this, but I think you know where I'm going with this. Short and long of it - they got squat in the minors, and to lock down tickets sales early they're gonna have to make a splash plain and simple.

All I know is I'm moving my aisle seats up some rows this season...
    I don't care if this is for nostalgia's sake, but fuck it, I'd love it...

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/ ... -phillies/
    edited November 2013
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

why do people keep saying this? for one because a team just won it all after losing 93 games...and most people choose not to live their lives as a miserable f--- who puts everything and everyone down (except the flyers who I see you've abandoned that thread after your 'I feel good about where this organization is' statement last year)

I'm guessing you were one of those guys who probably would have wanted the Red Sox to release Oritz back in 2010 when he was coming off injuries and struggling mightily. boy are the sox glad they didn't do that.

as for Stanton - what are the alternatives? best 2 free agents are Ellsbury who is another lefty and who is going to be substantially overpaid in free agency and beltran who is older and not much healthier.

Unlike you I choose to be realistic about the teams I like. Remember you said this team would win 90 games...and that they had the best rotation in the NL? Yeah. Have you ever been right in this thread?

Flyers are a mess. Bottom line is the young guys haven't taken the leap many (including myself), thought they would. I still believe they have a lot of talent and will make playoffs. Because I don't waste my time on here arguing with you doesn't mean I have abandoned them. I have better things to do than argue with people who I don't respect

Making a move for stanton is exactly the type of thing that put this franchise in their current predicament. If it were me I'd blow it all up and start over (similar to what boston did by trading away gonzalez/crawford...letting someone else overpay for papeldouche...etc). Just keep hamels and utley. Their farm system blows and so does their major league roster...throwing money at half assed free agents just compounds their issues, and so does further depleting their system by trading for guys who can't stay on the field (another current issue, not worth compounding). So I'd recommend rethinking your strategy and coming back with some semblance of a clue...for once
    Post edited by The Fixer on

Fixer -

My thing about talking to the sales rep about them signing someone big had nothing to do with what the sales rep knew like they gotta line to Amaro. It's what they were saying in regards to season ticket invoices coming in - which they're not. I could get into the economics of this, but I think you know where I'm going with this. Short and long of it - they got squat in the minors, and to lock down tickets sales early they're gonna have to make a splash plain and simple.

All I know is I'm moving my aisle seats up some rows this season...

Yeah, I hear you. Luckily they sucked badly enough where their first round pick is protected. So when the horseshit GM makes the inevitable overpay for declining free agent, at least they will still keep their first rounder.

They are screwed regardless of what they do because their farm system sucks and their current 40 man roster is a cesspool. To compare the 2014 phils to the 2013 red sox is just flat out stupid.
    This sums it up...

Poor people do not drive Cadillacs. World of Warcraft guild leaders do not date Victoria’s Secret models. And teams with mediocre farm systems do not try to trade for Giancarlo Stanton. It’s called “living within your means”.

Nick Cafardo of the Boston globe reports that the Phillies have attempted to acquire Stanton from the Miami Marlins at least ten times. If you have followed Phillies news throughout the year, this is the least surprising development of the year. The Phillies don’t have the requisite pieces to pull off such a trade. Their best pitching prospect, Jesse Biddle, is at best a #3, and aside from Maikel Franco, their best position player prospects are found at the lower levels of the system.

The Phillies actually made some progress during the year. Expect them to be more in the middle of the pack in Keith Law’s next organizational rankings rather than 27th, as they were back in February. But Cafardo lists a bunch of teams who would be competing with the Phillies for Stanton’s services, including the Tigers, Mets, Mariners, Yankees, Orioles, Angels, and Red Sox. They ranked 25th, 14th, 8th, 10th, 13th, 30th, and 17th, respectively. That’s five teams that can put together significantly more competitive offers than the Phillies could.

This all assumes that Stanton would be worth acquiring for the Phillies, and as obvious a “yes” as it seems, it might not be the case. He had knee surgery in July 2012 and he needed a stint on the DL this past season with a strained right hamstring. Tigers big-bodied first baseman Prince Fielder has logged at least 157 games per season since he started playing regularly and he has accrued at least 680 plate appearances in seven consecutive seasons. Comparatively, Stanton has played in more than 123 games once and he maxed out at 601 plate appearances.

Stanton, who turns 24 on November 8, is eligible for arbitration for the first time this off-season. He can become a free agent after the 2016 season, which means that if the Phillies do acquire Stanton, they would want to sign him to a long-term contract at some point in the next three years. Given his on-field performance and reputation, he would negotiate a rather rich deal. As an example, would you feel comfortable signing over $150 million over six years, taking him into his age-30 season? The most attractive feature of trading for Stanton is the opportunity to get not only his age 24-26 arb-eligible years, but his 27-29 post-free-agency prime as well. But if that’s not a relatively risk-free venture, it is likely not worth selling the farm to get him.

The Phillies have learned the hard way why it’s bad to bankrupt your Minor League system. They did exactly that to acquire Hunter Pence from the Houston Astros back in 2011. They sent prospects Jonathan Singleton, Domingo Santana, Jarred Cosart, and Josh Zeid to complete the deal. Going into the 2011 season, Singleton was the organization’s #2 prospect behind Brown; Cosart was #4, and Santana was #9. The trade was a gigantic failure because, first of all, it was a massive overpay. Secondly, the Phillies failed to capitalize on their 102-60 regular season record in 2011, getting ushered out of the NLDS in five games by the St. Louis Cardinals. The Phillies were a sub-.500 team in the first half of 2012, motivating them to recoup value on Pence by trading him to the San Francisco Giants for Nate Schierholtz, Tommy Joseph, and Seth Rosin, a markedly weaker package than they gave up for him a year prior — especially considering the Phillies non-tendered the most valuable piece of that deal several months later.

Selling the farm for Stanton would necessitate a win-now — or win-soon — approach, which the Phillies aren’t in a great position to do, frankly. This is especially true without knowing how they address their many nagging issues. Trading for Stanton would make sense if they also sign, for example, Jacoby Ellsbury and Ricky Nolasco, or Shin-Soo Choo and Brian McCann. The team as it’s presently constructed is patently a sub-.500 squad. Adding Stanton would be putting lipstick on a pig, and Amaro would be bankrupting the future to do it.

Maybe the Phillies can revisit a potential Stanton trade next year. Perhaps the Minor League system will have made even more progress and the team will be markedly closer to being a post-season contender. Right now, the Phillies are a Wendy’s fry cook trying to drive off the lot with a Cadillac.

Stop trying to make Giancarlo Stanton happen. It’s not going to happen.
This discussion has been closed.