***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2013 Thread***

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Cliffy congrats and have a great honeymoon!

Thanks, brother. Hope all is well with you. Sorry we didn't get to meet up. We got there pretty late, went woman and of course we didn't pull into the parking lot till 7:30.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy congrats and have a great honeymoon!

Thanks, brother. Hope all is well with you. Sorry we didn't get to meet up. We got there pretty late, went woman and of course we didn't pull into the parking lot till 7:30.

Maybe one of these shows...
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    2 great shows. N1 spoiled N2 a little with the 11 repeats but there's nothing I can do about it. It was great hearing Brain of J and Wash. I wanted My Father's son a little more Ten. I had to take off yesterday. I'm getting old.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    Being on the floor for night 2 was pretty friggin sweet. Awesome atmosphere down there.

Solid show on night 2, but definitely got spoiled after night 1. And, honestly, there were way, way too many repeats. I'm assuming because Ed was shit hammered...

I wish the new album was released about a month earlier to let those songs sink in for the shows. Too new and too much of it throwing a wet blanket on the set - not for the band, specifically, but more for the energy of the crowd. Philly crowd was still on top of their shit both nights though.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    man, i think you guys are crushing them too much for the repeats. they played close to 60 unique songs in 2 nights. most of the repeats were from the new album which they're promoting.

i do wish they didn't release the album so close to the tour as i agree it sapped some of the energy....
    but i think all the new ones sounded great, except for let those records play, which is a fucking terrible song to begin with. i can't believe that's a stone tune. you're so much better than that gossard! :x
    www.myspace.com
  • man, i think you guys are crushing them too much for the repeats. they played close to 60 unique songs in 2 nights. most of the repeats were from the new album which they're promoting.

i do wish they didn't release the album so close to the tour as i agree it sapped some of the energy....
    but i think all the new ones sounded great, except for let those records play, which is a fucking terrible song to begin with. i can't believe that's a stone tune. you're so much better than that gossard! :x

I enjoyed Records quite a bit and think it's a cool song. Also happy it doesn't sound like any other PJ song. On an album with Future Days & Sleeping by Myself I find it odd all the complaints about Records. :lol:

Infallible is decent on the album but I thought it really dragged down the energy in the live show, especially Night 2.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    man, i think you guys are crushing them too much for the repeats. they played close to 60 unique songs in 2 nights. most of the repeats were from the new album which they're promoting.

I enjoyed Records quite a bit and think it's a cool song. Also happy it doesn't sound like any other PJ song. On an album with Future Days & Sleeping by Myself I find it odd all the complaints about Records. :lol:

Infallible is decent on the album but I thought it really dragged down the energy in the live show, especially Night 2.

yeah infallible sounded much better night 1.

allow me to ruin ltrp for you, mr abruzzo....jeeeeeeeeeeeeeepers, creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepers, where'd you get them peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepers? .............let those records plaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

--first thing i thought of when i heard it. that and the shania twain-ish guitar licks. you hear it?

i like spbm. didnt like future days at first...but then it suddenly clicked with me. however that should clearly be a b side. as a whole, this is my fav album since binaural. love it.
    www.myspace.com
    I thought Future Days was great live. I liked it much more than the album version. I just feel that with the breadth of songs they have it was too many repeats. I'm not mad about, it's just how I feel.

I started listening to all the 2009 Spectrum shows yesterday.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    Future Days is a great love song. just not something I expect on a PJ album.

I dig Sleeping By Myself.

Lightning Bolt the song is really good and was great live.

Really like Pendulum both studio and live.

Sirens and Infallible are really good on the studio version but I think are good but not great live.

Yellow Moon both nights was a disappointment. find it to be pretty boring.

can't believe they haven't played Getaway yet.

I think the album itself has a strange sequencing though.

one thing I noticed on the WMMR interview with Ed is how much Ed's voice sounds like a young Springsteen.

2 great fucking shows though. Thought Monday was fantastic. Tuesday was very good. Back to work today and still voice is a little shot. got to love 2 day work weeks though even if kind of hard to get motivated today.

I don't know, man. I get they're promoting the album, but I can't think of their previous tours playing that much of the new album each night, and moreso to playing the same songs from the new album over and over, instead of mixing it up (I'm probably wrong about that with previous tours, but no one needs to go back and prove that to me). If you're promoting the new album, then play the ones that just came out single-wise (which I get) and infuse a new one here or there, instead of the same 5 or 6 every night (like My Father's Son would be a good start). I do like the new album, I do, but I don't think they know what works and what doesn't yet and how to tie it into a good set. I just feel like some songs were killing a tight set - specifically, Infallible, Yellow Moon, and Future Days. A lot of this new album seems to play better studio-wise instead of live, but that could just be me.

And sure, I might be killing them with the repeats, but I just feel like the high points of this show could have really went to another level instead of playing Even Flow and Alive twice when even simple songs like Black and Daughter stayed on the shelf altogether.

I know, I know. I'm being a dick, but the thing that's make these shows unique are the differences in those ending moments - the encores, and they were just too similar for me. I guess I was expecting too much, and like I said, was spoiled by that 1st night. There's just too much music they have now up their sleeve to ever repeat that much in one city over two nights.

I get it - I'm spoiled.
    Anyone get an extra N1 XL Philly shirt that wants to trade for a N2 XL?
    Tom O.
    -The Writer

I don't know, man. I get they're promoting the album, but I can't think of their previous tours playing that much of the new album each night, and moreso to playing the same songs from the new album over and over, instead of mixing it up (I'm probably wrong about that with previous tours, but no one needs to go back and prove that to me). If you're promoting the new album, then play the ones that just came out single-wise (which I get) and infuse a new one here or there, instead of the same 5 or 6 every night (like My Father's Son would be a good start). I do like the new album, I do, but I don't think they know what works and what doesn't yet and how to tie it into a good set. I just feel like some songs were killing a tight set - specifically, Infallible, Yellow Moon, and Future Days. A lot of this new album seems to play better studio-wise instead of live, but that could just be me.

And sure, I might be killing them with the repeats, but I just feel like the high points of this show could have really went to another level instead of playing Even Flow and Alive twice when even simple songs like Black and Daughter stayed on the shelf altogether.

I know, I know. I'm being a dick, but the thing that's make these shows unique are the differences in those ending moments - the encores, and they were just too similar for me. I guess I was expecting too much, and like I said, was spoiled by that 1st night. There's just too much music they have now up their sleeve to ever repeat that much in one city over two nights.

I get it - I'm spoiled.

i think they usually play about that many repeats over a 2 night span. i guess the issue is what songs they are repeating now and it's the one's from the new album which they're promoting. with that said, yeah i would have liked my father's son and getaway over infallible again and future days.

i dont' know the exact number but to play close to 60 unique songs in a 2 night span...that's pretty fucking good. how many other bands do that? can't be more than a handful.

what did you think of the dude from fleet foxes cover of corduroy on fallon the other night? i think i'm the only one who liked it.
    www.myspace.com

I get it - I'm spoiled.

i think they usually play about that many repeats over a 2 night span. i guess the issue is what songs they are repeating now and it's the one's from the new album which they're promoting. with that said, yeah i would have liked my father's son and getaway over infallible again and future days.

i dont' know the exact number but to play close to 60 unique songs in a 2 night span...that's pretty fucking good. how many other bands do that? can't be more than a handful.

what did you think of the dude from fleet foxes cover of corduroy on fallon the other night? i think i'm the only one who liked it.

I hear you on this, but I dunno.....this album needs to find it's way into the set in a better way is all I know. The highs and lows of the show just didn't feel to have a rhythm, which is something I think they pride themselves on to an extent. 60 "unique songs" sounds like a term PJ fans made up, doesn't it? I would hope so when you've got 10 albums and a shit load of B-sides/covers/what-have-you.

I really think it's because he was intoxicated. That Bruce cameo would've been nice too...(spoken like a spoiled asshole).

The next show I see will be in another country - I'm thinking somewhere Spanish...South America would be nice too. Somewhere where they're nuts during shows - that's where I'm at now.

I missed this Fallon stuff. I've either been camping or going to these shows. Gotta check it out...
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    there were 5 non-Lightning Bolt repeats over the 2 nights. Even Flow, Alive, Given to Fly, Unthought Known and Porch. that's a lot for the a non-current album for Pearl Jam. granted most bands would probably have more but PJ isn't most bands.
    Unthought Known was repeated?...now THAT should be what's upsetting you guys the most. :lol:

I'm now tempted to check that pj stat tracker app to see what previous Phill stops looked like
    www.myspace.com
  • Unthought Known was repeated?...now THAT should be what's upsetting you guys the most. :lol:

I'm now tempted to check that pj stat tracker app to see what previous Phill stops looked like

I've gotten Unthought Known at all 5 of my PJ shows. That's the only such song. :lol: I still enjoyed it on Tuesday, and if they play it Sunday I'll enjoy it again. Of course, I'd rather hear Force of Nature...

I'm aware that the lyrics of LTRP are stupid. I don't really pay attention to lyrics all the time. Shania Twain guitar riff? Ok, whatever, you just don't like the song and you want to make more fun of it, but the guitars are awesome in that song. It's a blues song. If you don't like blues songs that's fine but PJ is allowed to make one of them in their whole freakin career.

Here's my take on repeating songs. Probably a lot of fans (like myself) have mathematical minds and would've carefully planned out setlists ahead of time to minimize repeats and try out as many new songs as possible. But musicians aren't necessarily mathematically minded. They are artists, and they play what they feel like playing. I think EV draws up the setlist right before the show. He might not even realize that they just played Even Flow the night before, or might not care. Maybe he wants to play Porch every night so he can swing on that globe thing. I don't know what makes these guys tick, but we have to put up with it because that's also the same thing that makes them so awesome at what they do. End of random rant.

Unthought Known was repeated?...now THAT should be what's upsetting you guys the most. :lol:

I don't get it; I get not being able to keep doling out quality songs so I understand a miss here and there, but this song in particular I'm not a big fan of and it's one that a lot of people like. This song, Sirens (which the lyrics at least are growing on me a bit....a tiny bit), and Ole' are just awful songs in my opinion. Like, I said, I understand a miss here and there but it's starting with much more regularity lately.
  • Unthought Known was repeated?...now THAT should be what's upsetting you guys the most. :lol:

I don't get it; I get not being able to keep doling out quality songs so I understand a miss here and there, but this song in particular I'm not a big fan of and it's one that a lot of people like. This song, Sirens (which the lyrics at least are growing on me a bit....a tiny bit), and Ole' are just awful songs in my opinion. Like, I said, I understand a miss here and there but it's starting with much more regularity lately.

Agree that Ole' is terrible. I can't really get into Sirens. Unthought Known album version is annoying with all the BoB piano, but it works well live. That said, yeah it doesn't need to show up every show.

can we agree that lightning bolt (the song) sounds awesome live though? think it sounds way better than the album version.
    www.myspace.com

Agree that Ole' is terrible. I can't really get into Sirens. Unthought Known album version is annoying with all the BoB piano, but it works well live. That said, yeah it doesn't need to show up every show.

Lends itself too much to a Dave Matthews-type vibe, if ya feel me. And the "nothing there, nothing left" bridge just goes on too long - it's what really has always killed that song for me.

If you heard Chad Whatever-the-fuck-his-name-is and Nickelback performing Sirens everyone would shit all over that song.....cause this could easily be their song. There. I said it.
    can we agree that lightning bolt (the song) sounds awesome live though? think it sounds way better than the album version.

No. No one is allowed to uniformly agree on anything in here - that's the rule.

They gotta get that stat tracking app on droids....now.
  • can we agree that lightning bolt (the song) sounds awesome live though? think it sounds way better than the album version.

Yeah, much better live. Don't know why it doesn't work as well on the album. Maybe it's BoB again.

Re: Sirens - yeah it's not their best output. When did they decide that Eddie was the only one in the band who could write lyrics? Is Inside Job the last song with lyrics by someone else in the band?

Yeah, much better live. Don't know why it doesn't work as well on the album. Maybe it's BoB again.

Re: Sirens - yeah it's not their best output. When did they decide that Eddie was the only one in the band who could write lyrics? Is Inside Job the last song with lyrics by someone else in the band?

sirens > inside job, for me.

as cheesy as people think sirens is, inside job's "running through the rain" shit makes me think of celine dion for some reason. like that one until ed starts singing.

wonder if they play getaway on fallon tonight...
    www.myspace.com
    by the way, this is about as bad as it gets around here sports wise huh? what a difference a few years makes.

good god almighty.
    www.myspace.com
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Inside Job is 10000X better then Sirens. And I like Sirens, but Sirens isn't even close to Inside Job. Nite 1 was way better, but #2 had it's moments. Breath,SOLAT,Unthought Known and Porch was a sick run.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • by the way, this is about as bad as it gets around here sports wise huh? what a difference a few years makes.

good god almighty.

Yeah I forgot the Flyers were on. They won! :o

Regarding Sirens vs Inside Job, I can't even begin to fathom why anyone could possibly form that opinion, but as they say they are like assholes. Tell me you think Sad and Of the Girl suck too.

by the way, this is about as bad as it gets around here sports wise huh? what a difference a few years makes.

good god almighty.

Yeah I forgot the Flyers were on. They won! :o

Regarding Sirens vs Inside Job, I can't even begin to fathom why anyone could possibly form that opinion, but as they say they are like assholes. Tell me you think Sad and Of the Girl suck too.

i've always thought inside job was weak. what do sad and of the girl have to do with it? they're not mccready songs. to me, they are examples of pj at their best. inside job pales in comparison to those two.

"let me run into the rain to shine a human light again?" no. and the music is a let down too. starts off sounding like it could be this big fucking epic song....then it just sputters into a typical mid tempo tune about half way through. not a fan.
    www.myspace.com
    Inside Job is far and away better than Sirens.

You can definitely tell the music for Sirens is some cheesy power ballad material that McCready is a sap for.

Last Soldier - now there is a McCready tune that should've turned up on a record.

The problem anymore seems to be isn't Eddie writing all the lyrics, but also letting him be the starting point for most of the music, too. Stone, Matt, and Jeff (in that order) should be doing mostly the music. I'd say the albums really started to become "Eddie-centric" with Riot Act, but even moreso with Avacado. I'd say Riot Act is the last album I really went nuts on when it comes to listening over and over.
    Inside Job is far and away better than Sirens.

You can definitely tell the music for Sirens is some cheesy power ballad material that McCready is a sap for.

Last Soldier - now there is a McCready tune that should've turned up on a record.

The problem anymore seems to be isn't Eddie writing all the lyrics, but also letting him be the starting point for most of the music, too. Stone, Matt, and Jeff (in that order) should be doing mostly the music. I'd say the albums really started to become "Eddie-centric" with Riot Act, but even moreso with Avacado. I'd say Riot Act is the last album I really went nuts on when it comes to listening over and over.

i guess it's cool that fans have such varying opinions of this band. there's not a lot of consensus. i think this is their best work since, probably binaural. except for 2-3 songs (i'm especially looking at you, ltrp), i think the writing is very strong.

to me, matt needs to stay as far away from the writing of songs as is humanly possible. when he is super involved, you get backspacer...his lack of involvement is probably one of the reasons i like this album so much.

not saying sirens is a great, or even good song. i just think it's better than inside job, which i've never cared for. and it did not sound good on falon last night. kinda flat. hoping lb is a better performance tonight.
    www.myspace.com

good god almighty.

It's fucking sad. Maybe another Big 5 team can go on a run.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
This discussion has been closed.