***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2013 Thread***

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    Inside Job is far and away better than Sirens.

You can definitely tell the music for Sirens is some cheesy power ballad material that McCready is a sap for.

Last Soldier - now there is a McCready tune that should've turned up on a record.

The problem anymore seems to be isn't Eddie writing all the lyrics, but also letting him be the starting point for most of the music, too. Stone, Matt, and Jeff (in that order) should be doing mostly the music. I'd say the albums really started to become "Eddie-centric" with Riot Act, but even moreso with Avacado. I'd say Riot Act is the last album I really went nuts on when it comes to listening over and over.

i guess it's cool that fans have such varying opinions of this band. there's not a lot of consensus. i think this is their best work since, probably binaural. except for 2-3 songs (i'm especially looking at you, ltrp), i think the writing is very strong.

to me, matt needs to stay as far away from the writing of songs as is humanly possible. when he is super involved, you get backspacer...his lack of involvement is probably one of the reasons i like this album so much.

not saying sirens is a great, or even good song. i just think it's better than inside job, which i've never cared for. and it did not sound good on falon last night. kinda flat. hoping lb is a better performance tonight.

Are you saying writing lyrics or music for Matt? Because You Are is a perfect example when they go weird in the right direction. Riot Act is the last time they went weird, and I don't know why that album gets so much flack.

I find this album solid as a whole, but at the same time forgettable, if that makes sense.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    This thread is awesome.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This thread is awesome.

Start adding something ya fuckin curmudgeon. Especially something you hate, or you hate and someone else likes. Now.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This thread is awesome.

Start adding something ya fuckin curmudgeon. Especially something you hate, or you hate and someone else likes. Now.

Water ice and tomato pie blow
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This thread is awesome.

Water ice and tomato pie blow

Now there's some hate. Idiotic, misguided, hate. But hate nonetheless.

Now there's some hate. Idiotic, misguided, hate. But hate nonetheless.

Pure unadulterated hate. A hate of pointless food
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466

You can definitely tell the music for Sirens is some cheesy power ballad material that McCready is a sap for.

Last Soldier - now there is a McCready tune that should've turned up on a record.

The problem anymore seems to be isn't Eddie writing all the lyrics, but also letting him be the starting point for most of the music, too. Stone, Matt, and Jeff (in that order) should be doing mostly the music. I'd say the albums really started to become "Eddie-centric" with Riot Act, but even moreso with Avacado. I'd say Riot Act is the last album I really went nuts on when it comes to listening over and over.

i guess it's cool that fans have such varying opinions of this band. there's not a lot of consensus. i think this is their best work since, probably binaural. except for 2-3 songs (i'm especially looking at you, ltrp), i think the writing is very strong.

to me, matt needs to stay as far away from the writing of songs as is humanly possible. when he is super involved, you get backspacer...his lack of involvement is probably one of the reasons i like this album so much.

not saying sirens is a great, or even good song. i just think it's better than inside job, which i've never cared for. and it did not sound good on falon last night. kinda flat. hoping lb is a better performance tonight.

Are you saying writing lyrics or music for Matt? Because You Are is a perfect example when they go weird in the right direction. Riot Act is the last time they went weird, and I don't know why that album gets so much flack.

I find this album solid as a whole, but at the same time forgettable, if that makes sense.

both. i am really not much of a fan of any of the songs he's been a main contributor on.

my beef with riot act was that it was way too inconsistent. it has classics, like can't keep, save you, i am mine, and to a lesser extent; lbc, all or none, and help help. but songs like ghost, god's dice, crop duster, get right-i could do without all of them. thumbing sounds like it should've been on an eddie solo album. i don't really like you are that much either.

i think we've had this same discussion before on the old board...
    www.myspace.com
  • You know...I think I may be "over" PJ in Philly. I always go cause it's like a 15 minute drive. But now I've been to 13 Philly/Camden shows and was kinda let down by this year's Philly 2 despite having my second best seats ever. Maybe it was because it was a lame Tuesday or maybe it's because I saw a VERY similar setlist at Brooklyn 2. But after Spectrum '03, the 2005 show, and the four 2009 Spectrum shows (night 4 in particular), I think I've seen by far the best of Pearl Jam in Philly and everything from here on out won't come close to those shows. It's just hard to not go when you know there's a Pearl Jam concert a few miles away.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    You know...I think I may be "over" PJ in Philly. I always go cause it's like a 15 minute drive. But now I've been to 13 Philly/Camden shows and was kinda let down by this year's Philly 2 despite having my second best seats ever. Maybe it was because it was a lame Tuesday or maybe it's because I saw a VERY similar setlist at Brooklyn 2. But after Spectrum '03, the 2005 show, and the four 2009 Spectrum shows (night 4 in particular), I think I've seen by far the best of Pearl Jam in Philly and everything from here on out won't come close to those shows. It's just hard to not go when you know there's a Pearl Jam concert a few miles away.

This entire thing makes zero sense, so congratulations for that. You are not going to see the Phillies win the world series every time you go to CBP park either, but you still go, don't you?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    You know...I think I may be "over" PJ in Philly. I always go cause it's like a 15 minute drive. But now I've been to 13 Philly/Camden shows and was kinda let down by this year's Philly 2 despite having my second best seats ever. Maybe it was because it was a lame Tuesday or maybe it's because I saw a VERY similar setlist at Brooklyn 2. But after Spectrum '03, the 2005 show, and the four 2009 Spectrum shows (night 4 in particular), I think I've seen by far the best of Pearl Jam in Philly and everything from here on out won't come close to those shows. It's just hard to not go when you know there's a Pearl Jam concert a few miles away.

This entire thing makes zero sense, so congratulations for that. You are not going to see the Phillies win the world series every time you go to CBP park either, but you still go, don't you?

agreed. if i ever start to feel that way, that's when it's probably time to find a new favorite band.
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

When you say "the entire thing makes zero sense", I think to myself "Well alright fine." But when you say "so congratulations for that"....god....you sound like such a douche.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make here is that the moment there's any prospect of a Philly show, I'm getting tickets immediately. But I think I'd be better suited in the future to travel to new places than to the same Philly sports complex I've been to a thousand times. Like, if I could do it over, I'd have gotten Brooklyn and Baltimore tickets. A full week apart and both easy drives. I wanted to go to Brooklyn cause it's a new PJ venue...oh but I HAVE TO MAKE PHILLY MY FIRST PRIORITY FOR THE LOTTERY!!!!!! That's how I've always thought...but I'm gonna change up that thinking a bit going forward.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

When you say "the entire thing makes zero sense", I think to myself "Well alright fine." But when you say "so congratulations for that"....god....you sound like such a douche.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make here is that the moment there's any prospect of a Philly show, I'm getting tickets immediately. But I think I'd be better suited in the future to travel to new places than to the same Philly sports complex I've been to a thousand times. Like, if I could do it over, I'd have gotten Brooklyn and Baltimore tickets. A full week apart and both easy drives. I wanted to go to Brooklyn cause it's a new PJ venue...oh but I HAVE TO MAKE PHILLY MY FIRST PRIORITY FOR THE LOTTERY!!!!!! That's how I've always thought...but I'm gonna change up that thinking a bit going forward.

You know, I originally wrote just the first part but then realized I was a prick and added the second.

Ah, fair enough. I didn't get that from the first post. I enjoy travelling to see them. Only done it a couple times (Austin, Wisconsin, MSG, if that counts) but always had fun. Different experience.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417

Monday night was a great show. To me it was way better than 2005. I think 2005 is the most overrated show I've ever been to.

I do understand the sentiment about Camden though. I hope they never play there again. If they do I'll probably end up going but I don't have a lot of desire for that place venue or that parking lot anymore.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    Decent article on the Phils possible new TV contract. Sounds like they expect a deal to be announced in the next month with at least a $150 million per year.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phi ... tract.html
    I kinda feel what the guy is saying - hence my want to make my next show in another country. Somewhere where they are absolutely batshit during a show.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

Sirens is the worst PJ song to ever make an album. It's horrid. Reminds me of Kings of Leon. I refuse to listen to it...cannot hit skip quickly enough when it comes on my ipod.

I do like most of the album, but stuff like sirens, future days, just breathe, the end, etc...no thank you
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

You know, I originally wrote just the first part but then realized I was a prick and added the second.

Ah, fair enough. I didn't get that from the first post. I enjoy travelling to see them. Only done it a couple times (Austin, Wisconsin, MSG, if that counts) but always had fun. Different experience.

traveling, yes. going to shows with different people is cool too. dude I went with on Tues had only seen them once...and we had money seats so he was all geeked up. My wife is the best, but if I went to every show with her it just wouldn't be as enjoyable (not saying anyone here does this...just not sure how a lot of people do). Now that I have two kids, a wife, and a more responsibility at work I wasn't as excited leading up to this mini tour I'm in the middle of. But then you get to the venue and feel all the energy and that crap dissipates. Their shows are still awesome, even if they do have a growing list of songs I don't care to ever see live.

sunday night is going to be awesome. really can't wait to check out this tiny shithole arena

also, you never know how many times you will get to see a band play live. they don't have expiration dates. rare for acts to be around as long as PJ has. My advice would be to enjoy it while you can...never know when it's the last time you will get to experience them.

I think too many people waste time ranking shows or trying to find an 'epic' setlist. I'm guilty of this at times (saying I thought monday was better than tuesday) and then I realize what a turd I sound like.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

Figured that was the case. No big deal.
    agreed. if i ever start to feel that way, that's when it's probably time to find a new favorite band.

No, it's time to start looking into new and exciting ways to enjoy my favorite band. When Wrigley was announced, I was like "why bother with that when there will certainly be a Philly show right in my backyard?" And I need to stop that way of thinking. I need to go to new places and enjoy PJ with new crowds. That's what I loved so much about Lollapalooza '07 and PJ20. They were so far from my usual stomping grounds (Philly, NYC, Baltimore/Washington)

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Cliffy is correct this post is beyond nuts.
    Go Birds!!!!

No, it's time to start looking into new and exciting ways to enjoy my favorite band. When Wrigley was announced, I was like "why bother with that when there will certainly be a Philly show right in my backyard?" And I need to stop that way of thinking. I need to go to new places and enjoy PJ with new crowds. That's what I loved so much about Lollapalooza '07 and PJ20. They were so far from my usual stomping grounds (Philly, NYC, Baltimore/Washington)

I get where he is coming from. I don't necessarily agree, but I get what he's saying.

kinda like going to the same local bar all the time. you might still be excited to drink and get fucked up, but you're not thrilled about the locale

Makes sense
    pjhawks wrote:

Monday night was a great show. To me it was way better than 2005. I think 2005 is the most overrated show I've ever been to.

I do understand the sentiment about Camden though. I hope they never play there again. If they do I'll probably end up going but I don't have a lot of desire for that place venue or that parking lot anymore.
    http://pearljam.com/setlists/1020/2005/ ... via_center Amazing,amazing set dude.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • The Fixer wrote:

I get where he is coming from. I don't necessarily agree, but I get what he's saying.

kinda like going to the same local bar all the time. you might still be excited to drink and get fucked up, but you're not thrilled about the locale

Makes sense

Yeah that's all I'm saying. I've always felt like I NEED to be at the Philly show cause it's right here. But traveling for any reason is fun. Traveling for a PJ show is as good as it gets. I need to do more of that. Lolla '07 and PJ20 are the only shows I've seen that weren't on the East Coast.

Also, I had to post this lament in this Philly-related thread because I can't go to The Porch and say "I'm sick of having SO MANY SHOWS in my area! I want to travel!" That probably wouldn't go over well with people that never get to see them.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    The Fixer wrote:

Makes sense

Yeah that's all I'm saying. I've always felt like I NEED to be at the Philly show cause it's right here. But traveling for any reason is fun. Traveling for a PJ show is as good as it gets. I need to do more of that. Lolla '07 and PJ20 are the only shows I've seen that weren't on the East Coast.

Also, I had to post this lament in this Philly-related thread because I can't go to The Porch and say "I'm sick of having SO MANY SHOWS in my area! I want to travel!" That probably wouldn't go over well with people that never get to see them.

Yeah. I have seen them in places like cleveland and west palm beach (still the east coast, but not NE). Those crowds make me appreciate seeing them in places like philly and nyc, where the energy is unmatched (the united center crowds in chicago are also awesome...love that city).

what did you think of barclays vs msg?
    Still kicking myself in the ass for not going to that Costa Rica show.

Away Philly games and PJ concerts in other cities are the best.
  • The Fixer wrote:

Yeah. I have seen them in places like cleveland and west palm beach (still the east coast, but not NE). Those crowds make me appreciate seeing them in places like philly and nyc, where the energy is unmatched (the united center crowds in chicago are also awesome...love that city).

Chicago crowds are pretty great, huh? I'm heading out west to SD and LA next month...interested to se how those crowds will be. I think the SD show should be good since it's in a smaller venue...I think only 11-12K.

There's still Soto nite 1 S/N A/P's Posters left for those who want one.
    Go Birds!!!!

I don't know. I gotta admit I enjoy watching vedder cream himself when talking about how much he appreciates the philly crowds.

Traveling, home games/shows...they both have their benefits.

There's still Soto nite 1 S/N A/P's Posters left for those who want one.

Website is blocked at work. And I'm not that big of a fan of it - but, at some point I gotta get the posters to these shows...
    The Fixer wrote:

Chicago crowds are pretty great, huh? I'm heading out west to SD and LA next month...interested to se how those crowds will be. I think the SD show should be good since it's in a smaller venue...I think only 11-12K.

yeah. you dirtbags get a pass for the wrigley crowd. lot of outta towners and the weather killed the vibe
    The Fixer wrote:

I don't know. I gotta admit I enjoy watching vedder cream himself when talking about how much he appreciates the philly crowds.

Traveling, home games/shows...they both have their benefits.

Well, of course. Because we're fucking awesome.

They're excuses to see other parts of the world while still having something in common with those people - it's a cool thing.
This discussion has been closed.