***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2013 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited August 2013
    pjhawks wrote:

yes the hipsters started by fucking with coffee and now we have at least 50 different fucking flavors of coffee. there should be 2, caffeinated and decaf (and decaf is for pussies as the move line goes). then they moved onto beer and starting putting freaking fruit in beers and thought they were cool, now they've even moved onto alcohol and we've gotten up to orange flavored vodka. I stand by my comment. America has gone completely to shit.

as for me well i'm irish so I can pretty much drink plenty of alcohol. right now i'm drinking a lot of vodka instead of beer. and used to love me some tequila but those days are mostly over.

like Asche as he is coming into his own. be interesting to see what they end up doing between him and Franco down the line though. good problem to have I guess.

the fact that the majority of americans will still opt for mass produced, watered down slop like budweiser over a more innovative and tastier craft beer is more a sign of this country being in the shitter if you ask me. people in this country are afraid to open up their minds even when it comes to their fucking beer. :lol: thankfully that's changing a bit.

but pumpkin ales are distinctly american, man. they date back to the 1700's here. it's actually a native american plant. colonials used pumpkin instead of malt due to the abundance of pumpkins at the time. this kind of beer is in this country's roots. it's become pretty popular again in recent years and i can see how that can be annoying to some. but they're fucking delicious and have a lot more alcohol than the main stream watered down beers in this country that, i'm guessing you drink. plus, when you see them on the shelves it's a sign that the best time of year is right around the corner. that's always fun. and they all taste a bit different.

what kind of beer do you like? budweiser? coors?

i wish asche was right handed. franco looks like he could be a solid pro but still a year away, probably. i read somewhere this summer that they think asche could also play 2nd or possibly a corner outfield position.

they tried asche at 2nd in the minors. mixed reviews. from what I have seen, I think he's small/quick enough to play 2b...and his hands look solid. without seeing someone try to pivot on a dp (arguably the toughest thing of an IF to do), it's pretty much impossible to know how he'd be there. fact that phils moved him back to 3b probably gives us an idea though.

no way he hits enough to play a corner OF spot on a good team...which means amaro will move him to RF next year (even though that's where brown should be)
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    pjhawks wrote:
    DeFratus reminds me of a pre-2008 Ryan Madson. Guy seems to have good stuff but just gets knocked around too often. Madson pre about august 2008 was like this. Hope they don't give up on him too soon.

and Madson has now missed two years in a row. what a shame. he might end up being one of the forgotten heroes of the 2008-2011 era.

rosenberg also looks much improved since sandberg took over. amazing what a manager who knows what he's doing can do with young players

and for the record...I definitely agree with pjhawks on flavored vodka and coffee (gay), but totally disagree with craft beers. So much good stuff out there. I think dogfish and sam adams are most overrated (esp the awful PJ beer)...while anything by victory, rogue, and brooklyn brewery are awesome.

if you have a wegmans near you, check out their beer section. awesome place to experiment with tons of different types of beers from all over the world and in our own backyard.

only decent place in the state of PA to buy 'take home' beer. PA sucks...
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    The Fixer wrote:

if you have a wegmans near you, check out their beer section. awesome place to experiment with tons of different types of beers from all over the world and in our own backyard.

only decent place in the state of PA to buy 'take home' beer. PA sucks...

Wegman's has a nice selection, but we have a pizza shop that blows Wegman's away. There's a little pizza area where you can grab a slice, but connected to that is a big bar and dining area.

They have 44 taps and huge coolers for take out. Generally, I'm a Sam Adams guy...a case of Molson Canadian every now and then. When I want some really good stuff, I hit up Al's pizza
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Sweet. That place Mahogany is no longer open is it?

And where'd yous fill out this Phils season ticket survey? Would I have gotten it in an email?

yeah, one of the 2,000 emails the phillies send you each week. not only do they suck, but they annoy you as well (no, these emails didn't bother me from 2007-2011)

Funny right after I asked about this I received it in my Inbox. I spent a good hour at work on that 'comments' section...
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Sounds like Young could be dealt today.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    Jeags -

Speaking of Wegmans - gimme some recommendations for dinner after work tonight. Everything in the suburbs has been really letting me down when it comes to mixing it up.

out this way?.....we've been craft ale housing it up a lot this summer. i would just go there. black lab bistro is decent in p'ville. byob. we like it there. you ever been to that one? and hacienda la michoacana is that mexican place in that big old building---not too bad.

i'm actually moving out to the lansdale area in a month. kinda stoked to check out doylestown. never really explored that town but there's supposedly a lot of cool restaurants and bars. we shall see.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

the fact that the majority of americans will still opt for mass produced, watered down slop like budweiser over a more innovative and tastier craft beer is more a sign of this country being in the shitter if you ask me. people in this country are afraid to open up their minds even when it comes to their fucking beer. :lol: thankfully that's changing a bit.

but pumpkin ales are distinctly american, man. they date back to the 1700's here. it's actually a native american plant. colonials used pumpkin instead of malt due to the abundance of pumpkins at the time. this kind of beer is in this country's roots. it's become pretty popular again in recent years and i can see how that can be annoying to some. but they're fucking delicious and have a lot more alcohol than the main stream watered down beers in this country that, i'm guessing you drink. plus, when you see them on the shelves it's a sign that the best time of year is right around the corner. that's always fun. and they all taste a bit different.

what kind of beer do you like? budweiser? coors?

i wish asche was right handed. franco looks like he could be a solid pro but still a year away, probably. i read somewhere this summer that they think asche could also play 2nd or possibly a corner outfield position.

they tried asche at 2nd in the minors. mixed reviews. from what I have seen, I think he's small/quick enough to play 2b...and his hands look solid. without seeing someone try to pivot on a dp (arguably the toughest thing of an IF to do), it's pretty much impossible to know how he'd be there. fact that phils moved him back to 3b probably gives us an idea though.

no way he hits enough to play a corner OF spot on a good team...which means amaro will move him to RF next year (even though that's where brown should be)

well i think they ended up moving him to 3rd because he was close to being ready and chase is at 2nd. could also end up being trade bait if franco ends up being the real deal. but your boy keith law kinda ripped franco a while back. not sure if you saw that. said he has a bad approach. kid's only 21 or so though...
    www.myspace.com
    Jeags -

Speaking of Wegmans - gimme some recommendations for dinner after work tonight. Everything in the suburbs has been really letting me down when it comes to mixing it up.

out this way?.....we've been craft ale housing it up a lot this summer. i would just go there. black lab bistro is decent in p'ville. byob. we like it there. you ever been to that one? and hacienda la michoacana is that mexican place in that big old building---not too bad.

i'm actually moving out to the lansdale area in a month. kinda stoked to check out doylestown. never really explored that town but there's supposedly a lot of cool restaurants and bars. we shall see.

Yeah, I was looking specifically in the C-ville area. We just ended up going to The Trappe. Was going to check out that places Tortugas, but after reading up on the place it's not really Mexican but more Tex-Mex (smother everything in beans and cheese).

Big fan of Phoenixville's scene, but at 5:30 on a weekday it's a bitch to get into town. And, yes, have been to Black Lab - I like it a lot.

Moving out to Lansdale huh? Heard of good things in Doylestown, but I don't know if there's enough there to keep me amused for the rest of my days. Move back to the Wayne area, or Ardmore. At least you're closer to civilization.

And it's settled - going to Cochon or Supper for my birthday dinner this upcoming month.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Love the love for Upstate New York's own Wegmans.

Just wait till Dino BBQ gets to Philly.

You can thank us later

Yeah, I was looking specifically in the C-ville area. We just ended up going to The Trappe. Was going to check out that places Tortugas, but after reading up on the place it's not really Mexican but more Tex-Mex (smother everything in beans and cheese).

Big fan of Phoenixville's scene, but at 5:30 on a weekday it's a bitch to get into town. And, yes, have been to Black Lab - I like it a lot.

Moving out to Lansdale huh? Heard of good things in Doylestown, but I don't know if there's enough there to keep me amused for the rest of my days. Move back to the Wayne area, or Ardmore. At least you're closer to civilization.

And it's settled - going to Cochon or Supper for my birthday dinner this upcoming month.

i was never a fan of tortugas. their food always seemed bland. you ever order from wibs? it's that wing and ribs place next to primos outside of my old development. wings are decent if you're in the area and looking for that kind of food.

lansdale was never a place i envisioned living but we both work near there and her parents are in chalfont and sister and brother in law right there too. 202/309 and turnpike are right near the house so its just a little longer of a drive to places we like. real cool neighborhood though. can't wait to move in. wayne's way too expensive. :lol:
    www.myspace.com

I went to Supper a couple years ago for a work dinner. Was really good. Have obviously heard great things about Cochon but haven't been.

Next on my list is that new spot called Serpico on South Street
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I went to Supper a couple years ago for a work dinner. Was really good. Have obviously heard great things about Cochon but haven't been.

Any plase based primarily around pig, AND is a BYO, I am down.

But I'm torn because I wanna try that sweet looking burger at Supper.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Any plase based primarily around pig, AND is a BYO, I am down.

But I'm torn because I wanna try that sweet looking burger at Supper.

Yeah, any place called Cochon will likely be good based on the animal alone.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    r

my wife hates it because it's always so crowded. i love it for the beer selection. luckily they are opening one about 5 minutes from our new house in a couple months. hey oh.
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    r

my wife hates it because it's always so crowded. i love it for the beer selection. luckily they are opening one about 5 minutes from our new house in a couple months. hey oh.

They only one I have been to in this area is Cherry Hill, but yeah, they are busy everywhere.

Next time you are there do yourself a favor and pick up a bottle of Salamida's State Fair Spiedie Sauce and some chicken breasts (or pork), cube those bad boys and marinate them in the spiedie sauce for about 24 hours. Throw them on metal skewers and pop them on the grill then eat those delicious little fuckers on a slice of italian bread. You won't be sorry. JP will likely be able to vouch for them after this weekend.
    So it looks like they finally inked up the Cuban pitcher for a 3 yr 12 mil contract, which is sweet. So:

1) It makes me feel a lot better with that contract

2) He's going to suck because they probably found out how close he is to Tommy John.
    Thanks for tip Cliff

Now just 3 years, 12 million for this Cuban dude. If he pans out as a number 3ish starter, that's quite a bargain. His arm will probably fall off in his first start though.
    www.myspace.com
  • Chase responds to Mac's love letter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnPBTozqdvY
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Somehow walked out of crazy horse when the sun was coming up over the desert.I gotta say, that may be legitimately be the best strippers I have ever come across. Best bodies and honestly coolest chicks. I only tired to fight one chick , she robbed me of $20, good thing it was only $20 :lol:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Somehow walked out of crazy horse when the sun was coming up over the desert.I gotta say, that may be legitimately be the best strippers I have ever come across. Best bodies and honestly coolest chicks. I only tired to fight one chick , she robbed me of $20, good thing it was only $20 :lol:

god bless america.
    --

loving what i am seeing out of young cody so far. enjoyable game tonight. and under 2 and a half hours, cliff. gotta love the national league. baseball, as god intended it. :)
    www.myspace.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

god bless america.
    --

loving what i am seeing out of young cody so far. enjoyable game tonight. and under 2 and a half hours, cliff. gotta love the national league. baseball, as god intended it. :)

yeah, Cody Asche looked great tonight as did Cliff Lee :)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    this article is the epitome of why I hate the philly media and fans. same dopes complaining about how well victorino and pence are playing are the same dopes who said you had to trade them last year to get value for them at the deadline. can't have it both fucking ways.

they had no chance to resign Werth at the price, and Ibanez was too old.

only even remotely able to complain about is Schierholtz.

http://the700level.com/top-posts/every- ... tpar=csnph
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I know the guy has his flaws but this is a very telling stat if it's true. I did not look it up.

The Phillies are 93-69 in the last 162 starts made by Ryan Howard
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I know the guy has his flaws but this is a very telling stat if it's true. I did not look it up.

I commented on here in august sometime how it was interesting that the phils just don't seem to win games at the same level when ryan is not in the lineup. wouldn't have guessed it was as high as 93-69 though.

the WAR guys have to hate this kind fact.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

I commented on here in august sometime how it was interesting that the phils just don't seem to win games at the same level when ryan is not in the lineup. wouldn't have guessed it was as high as 93-69 though.

I know. This is an interesting stat as well.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/play- ... i?id=SYyI2

Is Freddy juicing again? :lol:
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

I know. This is an interesting stat as well.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/play- ... i?id=SYyI2

Is Freddy juicing again? :lol:

Asche has such a nice swing. He is a keeper. Going to be interesting to see what they do with Franco.

In some ways I hate that Freddy is hitting homers. He should be concentrating on putting the ball in play and raising his average, not hitting .220 with a little power. sometimes I think it's counter productive for him.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752
    what's Ryne's record since he took over as manager i wonder?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    what's Ryne's record since he took over as manager i wonder?

14-10
    :lol::lol:
This discussion has been closed.