***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2013 Thread***

Comments

• jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    I liked the Delmon Young signing because it only cost 750K. It was a make or break deal for a free agent who had 31 other teams to impress. It didn't work out. I always stated that RUF should have been on the team. I don't have to defend myself to a dude I could care less about. Amaro sucks has sucked and will probably continue to suck. Not even sure why I'm wasting my time explaining myself to someone who doesn't exist anyway.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752
    The Fixer wrote:
    mccarthy somehow takes all of the enjoyment out of walk off wins.

god he's terrible

i didn't mind it too much. Still fun to watch back to back walk off wins :thumbup:

3 walk off wins in a row :o :corn:

Ok not as exciting as previous nights, but a bases loaded walk will do.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    The Fixer wrote:
    mccarthy somehow takes all of the enjoyment out of walk off wins.

god he's terrible

i didn't mind it too much. Still fun to watch back to back walk off wins :thumbup:

3 walk off wins in a row :o :corn:

Ok not as exciting as previous nights, but a bases loaded walk will do.

they are on a tear! :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    Pumpkin ales...set to be everywhere.

God bless America.
    www.myspace.com
    18 innings so far. I thought they said this was the Phillies longest game ever time-wise, not innings (yet anyway). So far over 6 1/2 hours. Arizona's longest game as well. I'm gonna try and stick it out. Hoping for another walk off win :yawn:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    18 innings so far. I thought they said this was the Phillies longest game ever time-wise, not innings (yet anyway). So far over 6 1/2 hours. Arizona's longest game as well. I'm gonna try and stick it out. Hoping for another walk off win :yawn:

well over 7 hours last night. Actually thought the game was gonna last longer. 2 outs in the 18th and just couldn't get that last one and the D-Backs paid for the Phills brining in a non-pitcher.

Doc Halladay makes his return on the mound today
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    BPVXUPwCYAA4c9K_crop_north.jpg?w=340&h=234&q=75

Beast
    www.myspace.com
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,311
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Cool.

I blasted Amaro in the season ticket holders survey. Got a call back and I begged her to tell her boss that Amaro needs to be fired.

Overheard: "Cody Asche. Is that the guy who eats all the hot dogs?"
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Cool.

I blasted Amaro in the season ticket holders survey. Got a call back and I begged her to tell her boss that Amaro needs to be fired.

Overheard: "Cody Asche. Is that the guy who eats all the hot dogs?"

Dude, I did same thing in my survey. Would LOVE for them to call me.

I get a ton of emails from the phillies (I'm sure other season ticket holders do as well). I have been responding to all of them with the following.

'I don't care until you fire amaro'
    I think this is funny. Amaro is obviously feeling the heat...about time he got a clue in regards to player analysis...realized it's not 1986 anymore. Most here are probably upset to read this.

This article by Tyler Kepner of the NY Times has an interesting quote from GM Ruben Amaro, who suggests the organization may finally get into the analytics game:

The Phillies have been slow to adapt to the analytics revolution in baseball, seeming to overvalue statistics like saves and runs batted in. Now is the time to learn.

“We may be looking to fortify some of our information with some more statistical analysis,” Amaro said. “We have to look at the way we do things and try to improve. That’s our job, to try to get better every year. I’m not so stubborn that we can’t try to do things a little bit different, or think that we can’t make better decisions. That’s what I’ll challenge our people to do, and I think they understand that. That’s part of what I expect of my staff, and of myself.”

While there are some aspects of Amaro’s statement that I take issue with, I am certainly not going to nitpick right after he makes the one move I’ve been begging the organization to make for years. They are one of the last remaining teams that does not officially make use of analytics. While a deeper appreciation of the numbers is no panacea for all that ails the Phillies, it should noticeably cut down on the more egregious errors, like giving Ryan Howard a five-year, $125 million contract extension two years before he becomes eligible for free agency, non-tendering Nate Schierholtz, vastly overpaying veteran relievers, and not trading anyone both by the July 31 trade deadline and the August 31 waiver deadline (this may change, but it seems unlikely).

Again, this is only one step in the hike that awaits the Phillies in their quest to return to National League superiority, but it is a necessary step and one that was well overdue.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,311
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Phillies have been slow to adapt to the analytics revolution in baseball, seeming to overvalue statistics like saves and runs batted in. Now is the time to learn.

Saves. :lol::lol::lol: I can see them using saves as an important stat. "Sure Papelbon is worth $50M - look at all the saves!" :roll:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    The Fixer wrote:

Saves. :lol::lol::lol: I can see them using saves as an important stat. "Sure Papelbon is worth $50M - look at all the saves!" :roll:

Yeah. Read this if you want a good laugh...and to get even more frustrated with the dipshits running this franchise. Dark, dark days ahead

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phi ... trics.html
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,890

God bless America.

:fp:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:

God bless America.

really? geez rob, i didn't know you were a giants fan AND a communist.

:lol:

i'm enjoying a nice Post Road right now....
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    imalive wrote:

God bless America.

really? geez rob, i didn't know you were a giants fan AND a communist.

:lol:

i'm enjoying a nice Post Road right now....

if thinking pumpkin beer is further evidence of the wussification of American then label me a communist as well. :roll: hipsters make me laugh

good thing Ruf started the year in the minors. it's not like we could have used double digit home runs from a right handed bat before the all-star break.

and chooch is hitting just enough now to get himself another contract.
    Pumpkin beer is AMAZING.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Pumpkin beer is AMAZING.

wussification.... :lol: .....guy probably hasn't drank a beer with more than 4% alcohol in it in his whole life.

hoping young cody is okay. looks like a pulled hammy. really liked his at bat in the 5th. worked an 0-2 count into a walk then scored a run.
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Sweet. That place Mahogany is no longer open is it?

And where'd yous fill out this Phils season ticket survey? Would I have gotten it in an email?
    Pumpkin beer is AMAZING.

wussification.... :lol: .....guy probably hasn't drank a beer with more than 4% alcohol in it in his whole life.

hoping young cody is okay. looks like a pulled hammy. really liked his at bat in the 5th. worked an 0-2 count into a walk then scored a run.

yes the hipsters started by fucking with coffee and now we have at least 50 different fucking flavors of coffee. there should be 2, caffeinated and decaf (and decaf is for pussies as the move line goes). then they moved onto beer and starting putting freaking fruit in beers and thought they were cool, now they've even moved onto alcohol and we've gotten up to orange flavored vodka. I stand by my comment. America has gone completely to shit.

as for me well i'm irish so I can pretty much drink plenty of alcohol. right now i'm drinking a lot of vodka instead of beer. and used to love me some tequila but those days are mostly over.

like Asche as he is coming into his own. be interesting to see what they end up doing between him and Franco down the line though. good problem to have I guess.
    pjhawks wrote:

yes the hipsters started by fucking with coffee and now we have at least 50 different fucking flavors of coffee. there should be 2, caffeinated and decaf (and decaf is for pussies as the move line goes). then they moved onto beer and starting putting freaking fruit in beers and thought they were cool, now they've even moved onto alcohol and we've gotten up to orange flavored vodka. I stand by my comment. America has gone completely to shit.

as for me well i'm irish so I can pretty much drink plenty of alcohol. right now i'm drinking a lot of vodka instead of beer. and used to love me some tequila but those days are mostly over.

like Asche as he is coming into his own. be interesting to see what they end up doing between him and Franco down the line though. good problem to have I guess.

the fact that the majority of americans will still opt for mass produced, watered down slop like budweiser over a more innovative and tastier craft beer is more a sign of this country being in the shitter if you ask me. people in this country are afraid to open up their minds even when it comes to their fucking beer. :lol: thankfully that's changing a bit.

but pumpkin ales are distinctly american, man. they date back to the 1700's here. it's actually a native american plant. colonials used pumpkin instead of malt due to the abundance of pumpkins at the time. this kind of beer is in this country's roots. it's become pretty popular again in recent years and i can see how that can be annoying to some. but they're fucking delicious and have a lot more alcohol than the main stream watered down beers in this country that, i'm guessing you drink. plus, when you see them on the shelves it's a sign that the best time of year is right around the corner. that's always fun. and they all taste a bit different.

what kind of beer do you like? budweiser? coors?

i wish asche was right handed. franco looks like he could be a solid pro but still a year away, probably. i read somewhere this summer that they think asche could also play 2nd or possibly a corner outfield position.
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:

pumpkin ales are distinctly american, man. they date back to the 1700's here. it's actually a native american plant. colonials used pumpkin instead of malt due to the abundance of pumpkins at the time. this kind of beer is in this country's roots. it's become pretty popular in recent years and i can see how that can be annoying to some. but they're fucking delicious and have a lot more alcohol than the main stream watered down beers in this country that, i'm guessing you drink. plus, when you see them on the shelves it's a sign that the best time of year is right around the corner. that's always fun.

what kind of beer do you like? budweiser? coors?

i wish asche was right handed. franco looks like he could be a beast. i read somewhere this summer that they think asche could also play 2nd or possibly a corner outfield position.

as mentioned right now I go more for vodka than beer.

Budweiser is disgusting. can't drink that at all.

Coors and Coors light I'll drink if people have it but I don't ask for it. Coors Light is like water and can drink about 10 of them (and pee 5 times) before even getting any kind of buzz. Not really even worth drinking that.

at Phils games or a bar I usually just go for Amstel Light. I used to like Heineken some but not into it anymore. I'll occasionally go for Yuengling, Becks or Molson as well but that's rare that I buy those. Usually get those at friends or other family members' houses.

sorry I don't think we need to add flavor to coffee, beer or alcohol. their flavors are what they are, adding fruit and other tastes and smells (in mostly coffee) is ridiculous in my opinion.

Heard they were going to try Franco at 1st too. they said he is really slow. I'm interested to see if they play Hernandez in center in September. I think he is back playing now.

so far I'm liking Sandberg. I like moving the parts around a bit as he has done.
    so you like coors, coors light, amstel light, yuengling, becks, molson and used to like heineken?

to each his own. you sound like me 10-15 years ago. just drank the basics. i think my pallet for beer has grown as i've gotten older. i'll drink these kinds of beers when i'm tailgating, or playing beer pong (which i haven't played in forever), or just generally looking to drink a shit load of beer and not get too wasted.

i'd encourage you to try some of the craft brews that we have in this area. yards or victory would be a great place to start. and you will be shocked to learn that the do not all have fruit in them :o . not sure why you think they all do. yards pale ale is something you would like. nice session beer, similiar like the one's you mentioned in terms of alcohol content, but with a much more mature taste. you can even find this at cbp.

there are many different kinds of beers and there are many different ways to brew them. this has been the case for centuries. this is nothing new. they do not all taste like the watered down one's most are used to in this country.

if you have a wegmans near you, check out their beer section. awesome place to experiment with tons of different types of beers from all over the world and in our own backyard.
    www.myspace.com
    so you like coors, coors light, amstel light, yuengling, becks, molson and used to like heineken?

to each his own. you sound like me 10-15 years ago. just drank the basics. i think my pallet for beer has grown as i've gotten older. i'll drink these kinds of beers when i'm tailgating, or playing beer pong (which i haven't played in forever), or just generally looking to drink a shit load of beer and not get too wasted.

i'd encourage you to try some of the craft brews that we have in this area. yards or victory would be a great place to start. and you will be shocked to learn that the do not all have fruit in them :o . not sure why you think they all do. yards pale ale is something you would like. nice session beer, similiar like the one's you mentioned in terms of alcohol content, but with a much more mature taste. you can even find this at cbp.

there are many different kinds of beers and there are many different ways to brew them. this has been the case for centuries. this is nothing new. they do not all taste like the watered down one's most are used to in this country.

if you have a wegmans near you, check out their beer section. awesome place to experiment with tons of different types of beers from all over the world and in our own backyard.

I never said all those craft beers have fruit in them. I am against putting fruit in beer though. I don't get the point. I've had Victory at the ballpark...ehh was ok.

i'm moving away from beer pretty much. opposite of you i don't drink beer nearly as much anymore as I've gotten older. just socially now.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    Jeags -

Speaking of Wegmans - gimme some recommendations for dinner after work tonight. Everything in the suburbs has been really letting me down when it comes to mixing it up.

Craft beer is amazing. There's so much to choose from that there's something for everyone. I have 8 120 minute IPA's at the moment. 4 from 2011 and 4 from 2012. Anything from Laquintas is worth a try.
    Go Birds!!!!
    DeFratus reminds me of a pre-2008 Ryan Madson. Guy seems to have good stuff but just gets knocked around too often. Madson pre about august 2008 was like this. Hope they don't give up on him too soon.

and Madson has now missed two years in a row. what a shame. he might end up being one of the forgotten heroes of the 2008-2011 era.
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329

God bless America.

Southern Tier Pumking. Absolutely fan-fucking-tastic

Edit: "hipsters" - :lol::lol:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    This thread never fucking disappoints :lol:

I did dislike good beer until 5 or 6 years ago. Now I don't drink anything but a decent beer unless I am tailgating or out all night or something along those lines. Even then, good beer is mixed in. I also hate the phrase craft beer. I prefer good beer and bad beer. What falls within those lines is pretty clearly defined.

Having my first pumpkin of the season as we speak.

Wedding in two months. Crazy. That shit is a lot of work. Going to be awesome though. And Vegas next weekend will not suck.

And Jeags, did I read that Ryne Sandburg intentionally walked two people to get to the pitcher? NL BASEBALL!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Sweet. That place Mahogany is no longer open is it?

And where'd yous fill out this Phils season ticket survey? Would I have gotten it in an email?

yeah, one of the 2,000 emails the phillies send you each week. not only do they suck, but they annoy you as well (no, these emails didn't bother me from 2007-2011)
This discussion has been closed.