***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2013 Thread***

Comments

• JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I loved him and he helped us win a championship but he wasn't the strongest game manager. If he gets credit for winning a championship, he must take some of the blame for losing.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    He always gets the blame for when they lose, but less credit when they win. It's the opposite.

As I've simmered, and am listening to this presser, it makes sense what they're doing. Charlie's a standup guy, but he knows he's getting it right in the ass.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    see ya' Charlie. can't believe anyone thinks this guy is underrated. yes he won one title but should have been at least 2 and probably 3. best team in baseball two years in a row and flamed out in the playoffs against two inferior teams. and don't get me started on the fucking disaster decisions on pedro in 2009. Charlie cost the phils the 2009 series and the next two years brutal losses to much worse teams, especially the giants.
    Aaaaaaannnnnnd case in point.

and you blame the 1st basemen even though this team has never had a better record without him the lineup at any stretch. fuck Charlie.

edit: and regardless of the feelings on Charlie this was the right move if you weren't planning on bringing Charlie back next year. find out as much as you can about Sandberg now and decide at the end of the year if he is the right guy. right move.
    I blame the 1st baseman constantly? I think you've got me confused with someone else. I'm just realistic.

Last I checked the players play, not the manager.

But I digress, as there's certain people I do not argue or have conversation with anymore on here - you being one of them there, Mr. Philly.com

Remember to breath with your nose, not your mouth.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    I'll ask again since you obviously didn't see my comment. Have you and the fixer ever talked about how you feel abut Charlie? Not being a dick just curious.
    Go Birds!!!!
    I'll ask again since you obviously didn't see my comment. Have you and the fixer ever talked about how you feel abut Charlie? Not being a dick just curious.

nope, but I know we have tended to agree on the coaches. Charlie was overrated, andy reid underrated, chip Kelly destined to fail.
    pjhawks wrote:

nope, but I know we have tended to agree on the coaches. Charlie was overrated, andy reid underrated, chip Kelly destined to fail.
    I meant JP.
    Go Birds!!!!

Is this directed to me, or Mouth Breather?
    I blame the 1st baseman constantly? I think you've got me confused with someone else. I'm just realistic.

Last I checked the players play, not the manager.

But I digress, as there's certain people I do not argue or have conversation with anymore on here - you being one of them there, Mr. Philly.com

Remember to breath with your nose, not your mouth.

exactly: the players play and Charlie won because of the talent BUT with all the talent this team had didn't win enough. that's why I think he is highly overrated. no doubt this franchise should have won more than one title in the 5 year period. and the same thing happened with Charlie in Cleveland.
    There we go.

He knows I'm not on his shit like he is, so no we don't see eye to eye. But can you believe this? We don't slurp each other's viewpoints.

He says a lot of the shit he says here for a reaction/get a lot of you dudes fired up.

I just like to stop on in and talk Philly shit - any and all - and then decipher who can carry a valid argument/conversation from there.

Is this directed to me, or Mouth Breather?
    You. I know you too get along and was curious. As he hates everyone not named Andy Reid.
    Go Birds!!!!
    There we go.

He knows I'm not on his shit like he is, so no we don't see eye to eye. But can you believe this? We don't slurp each other's viewpoints.

He says a lot of the shit he says here for a reaction/get a lot of you dudes fired up.

I just like to stop on in and talk Philly shit - any and all - and then decipher who can carry a valid argument/conversation from there.
    Good enough. Thanks for replying.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    One down, one to go.

Amaro crying in public is a perfect synopsis of this team's current and future situation. What a skirt
    It's bullshit. Should've been given his choice to stay, unless he WANTED out now.

Most underrated manager/coach in this city in the past 25+ years.

Amaro should be the one being bounced.
    Have you had this talk with The Fixer?

You spend an awful lot of time thinking about me. It's pretty creepy

For the record, manuel was not a good manager. He was in right place at right time with good players. I think he cost the phils legit runs at multiple titles (especially starting oswalt over halladay in 2011 game 4 vs STL -- which would have allowed lee to pitch in game 5 instead of seeing him warm up in the bullpen)...still one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. Pedro Martinez in games 2 and 6 of the 09 WS is a close runner up).

The GM should have been fired first, but I think they both should have been fired a long time ago. This franchise is always slow to adapt...they are too loyal. It's no coincidence that when they finally decided to bring in an outsider to fill the key organizational role (gillick), that they ended up having success. When Gillick left, it was back to the circle of ineptitude and amaro was given the job, which we all know has been an unmitigated disaster that won't end for a few more years because that's the way the phillies operate. Like fools
    There we go.

I never thought Charlie was a good BASEBALL manager. He was a good CLUB HOUSE manager. But it's fucked up how they did him.
    Go Birds!!!!
    You. I know you too get along and was curious. As he hates everyone not named Andy Reid.

Wrong as usual. I like laviolette a lot (always have). I also like the sixers new hire based on what I have read about him (I don't pretend to be familiar with him before the last few months)
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    The Fixer wrote:
    It's bullshit. Should've been given his choice to stay, unless he WANTED out now.

Most underrated manager/coach in this city in the past 25+ years.

Amaro should be the one being bounced.
    Have you had this talk with The Fixer?

You spend an awful lot of time thinking about me. It's pretty creepy

For the record, manuel was not a good manager. He was in right place at right time with good players. I think he cost the phils legit runs at multiple titles (especially starting oswalt over halladay in 2011 game 4 vs STL -- which would have allowed lee to pitch in game 5 instead of seeing him warm up in the bullpen)...still one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. Pedro Martinez in games 2 and 6 of the 09 WS is a close runner up).

The GM should have been fired first, but I think they both should have been fired a long time ago. This franchise is always slow to adapt...they are too loyal. It's no coincidence that when they finally decided to bring in an outsider to fill the key organizational role (gillick), that they ended up having success. When Gillick left, it was back to the circle of ineptitude and amaro was given the job, which we all know has been an unmitigated disaster that won't end for a few more years because that's the way the phillies operate. Like fools

I agree with most of this but ya gotta give Charlie a little credit. I mean, it's not like the 2008 team was THAT great. We've seen better teams than them not win the World Series. They might have just kept floundering around just outside the postseason with Bowa or somebody different.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    There we go.

I never thought Charlie was a good BASEBALL manager. He was a good CLUB HOUSE manager. But it's fucked up how they did him.

he was great at being a nice guy. sucked at everything else. That's not exactly the description of who I want running my favorite team

he was gone at end of year anyway. they did him a favor by letting him hang around for so long. it's not like he was thriving at his job
    Way more than just a nice guy. But I won't speak for his baseball knowledge. I'll let the baseball players who do recommend his talent speak for itself.

Playoffs are a crapshoot. It's that simple. A .551 winning percentage speaks for itself.
    People have seen ONE championship in this city in the past thirty years, and Christ, they act like they demand excellence like they've been used to championships or something. Gimme a break.
    Way more than just a nice guy. But I won't speak for his baseball knowledge. I'll let the baseball players who do recommend his talent speak for itself.

Playoffs are a crapshoot. It's that simple. A .551 winning percentage speaks for itself.

I don't disagree that the playoffs are a crapshoot, but I do disagree with a lot of the starting pitching decisions he made in huge playoff games (as I have noted over the years). I do think he cost them some playoff games during his tenure.

All in all, I'd grade him a C. Yes, he did bring a title here, which I will always respect him for, but I think he kind of sold this team short by being such a moron.

I feel really bad for sandberg. As long as Ruben Minaya Jr is still around he's in a no-win situation.

I'm just happy the phillies did something. Hopefully this is the start of many dominoes falling
    People have seen ONE championship in this city in the past thirty years, and Christ, they act like they demand excellence like they've been used to championships or something. Gimme a break.
    I respect him. And i'm thankful for the 08 run. He made many many bad moves, but he kept the clubhouse together and that prob wasn't easy.
    Go Birds!!!!

they choked as WS favorites two consecutive years. I think fans have reason to be disappointed after choke jobs of that magnitude
    I respect him. And i'm thankful for the 08 run. He made many many bad moves, but he kept the clubhouse together and that prob wasn't easy.

why wasn't that easy? it's not like they had a bunch of bad guys on the team.

I think he gets too much credit for that crap. The in-game decision making should take precedence over him being a nice guy, and that was something he sucked at
  • PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    I wish it was Amaro that was gone, but I think everyone knew this was coming.
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
    PJSerf wrote:
    Yo serf!!! How ya been man? And I agree Amaro should have been fired.
    Go Birds!!!!
    PJSerf wrote:

you have agreed with most of amaro's moves. weird that you want him fired
  • PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    PJSerf wrote:

Doing good... living the dream in Langhorne! Hope all is well with you!

It's clear that the Phillies were willing to let him get his 1,000th win, and then it was endgame. Not sure there was any harm in letting him coach out the rest of the year.
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
This discussion has been closed.