***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2013 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    JK_Livin wrote:
    the best part of last night was seeing all the '93 squad down there. god i loved that team. but why is there like no other footage of them other than whats on the Whatever It Takes Dude and the 10 year anniversary dvd they gave out at the vet? i feel like whenever the phils show highlites or even on comcast, it's always the same old stuff that Video Dan Stephenson shot. last night the "video tribute" before the game was literally 5 minutes from the 10 year anniversary dvd that most of us have seen before. anyone else find that a bit peculiar?

and someone mentioned it before, but i did not expect dutch to look as good as he did...although he hasn't started chemo yet.

They couldn't edit out all the needles from the other footage. :D

anyone else think that team gets celebrated way too frequently considering that they didn't win it all? same with the '01 sixers. just proves how awful those franchises are when they have to make a big deal about finishing in 2nd place. Never hear the flyers mention the '85, '87, '97, or '10 teams.
    Love this. Love Christie. NJ will have to hire more cops to handle the influx of shitty PA drivers during the summer months.

Keep right, pass left

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/loc ... 28851.html
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    The Fixer wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:
    the best part of last night was seeing all the '93 squad down there. god i loved that team. but why is there like no other footage of them other than whats on the Whatever It Takes Dude and the 10 year anniversary dvd they gave out at the vet? i feel like whenever the phils show highlites or even on comcast, it's always the same old stuff that Video Dan Stephenson shot. last night the "video tribute" before the game was literally 5 minutes from the 10 year anniversary dvd that most of us have seen before. anyone else find that a bit peculiar?

and someone mentioned it before, but i did not expect dutch to look as good as he did...although he hasn't started chemo yet.

They couldn't edit out all the needles from the other footage. :D

anyone else think that team gets celebrated way too frequently considering that they didn't win it all? same with the '01 sixers. just proves how awful those franchises are when they have to make a big deal about finishing in 2nd place. Never hear the flyers mention the '85, '87, '97, or '10 teams.

I never really hear the '01 Sixers getting celebrated all that much. Sometimes Ill hear a moron talk glowingly about when Iverson shot a three and then stepped over some loser that was on the ground, but that's it. But as for the '93 Phils, that was the only year the team finished above .500 from 1987-2000 so it kinda stands out as being special. Fluke? Sure. We had no business winning the LCS over a much better Braves team. But I'll take it. And the World Series was as exciting as hell. I have friends that looks back on that World Series with disgust. "Joe Carter ruined my childhood!" they'd exclaim. Yeah...because their childhoods were so awesome before that watching the team average like 68 wins a year. And besides, it was Paul Molitor that killed us....not Carter.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    The Fixer wrote:

I never really hear the '01 Sixers getting celebrated all that much. Sometimes Ill hear a moron talk glowingly about when Iverson shot a three and then stepped over some loser that was on the ground, but that's it. But as for the '93 Phils, that was the only year the team finished above .500 from 1987-2000 so it kinda stands out as being special. Fluke? Sure. We had no business winning the LCS over a much better Braves team. But I'll take it. And the World Series was as exciting as hell. I have friends that looks back on that World Series with disgust. "Joe Carter ruined my childhood!" they'd exclaim. Yeah...because their childhoods were so awesome before that watching the team average like 68 wins a year. And besides, it was Paul Molitor that killed us....not Carter.

Hahaha. Well said. Agree with pretty much all of this. I have said it before...'93 phils and '01 sixers were same exact teams.

Phils locked up the Encarnacion kid who they have long been tied to. #4 international prospect on BA's rankings. About time they started to spend some money on the international prospect market. Better late than never I guess. Amaro still needs to go
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Saw the Valencia soccer team in the airport today. Not sure what the fuck they were doing in the commercial terminal but whatever, kind of cool. No one had a clue who they were except for me. :lol:

Borgata for the killers tomorrow. Pretty pumped. Never been to a show there and I hear its sweet. Plus it's free

I still don't know who they are :lol:

I heard same thing about shows at the borgata...I haven't been to that venue either. Was gonna go see Gary Clark Jr there in October, but I will be in NYC for the PJ shows. I have a concert doubleheader on sunday. Low Cut Connnie at World Cafe Live Wilmington at 4 (they are coming to philly for a free show at Liquid Velvet Underground Record Store in Quenn Village at 6), then the Black Crowes at the Mann. Pumped to see the Crowes...they've been on my 'to see' list for a long time.

Ha, yeah, no one did.

Yeah, I am pretty pumped. I saw Gary Clark was there. Saw him at TLA last year. Was pretty sweet but I wouldn't go to the Borgata for that. Would like to see the Crowes. Never have either.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Bye Delmon
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    I know everyone seems to love Dubee but has he helped one bullpen pitcher become an effective major leaguer for this franchise? every young bullpen arm brought up has sucked. as previously stated be wary of turning to young unproven players. it hasn't gone so well.

not arguing it's a cause and effect this season...but it is interesting that once again this team's record is significantly worse when a certain everyday 4th hitter is not in the lineup for an extended period of time. the numbers are the numbers.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    I don't know what's better - philly.com commenters, or any Philly sports thread. Better yet, I'm convinced they're the same people.

On a related note, I want to do with this site that philly.comments does for philly.com using absolutely no context.

http://phillydotcomments.tumblr.com/
    John's water ice has the best fucking ice cream ever
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Now that doesn't make any sense.

You just reminded me I wanted to get to Pete's Sake for the crab thing. You know when that's over?
    Hello Cole!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

You just reminded me I wanted to get to Pete's Sake for the crab thing. You know when that's over?

Makes perfect sense. Vanilla and peanut butter home made ice cream. Stuff is phenomenal

Ahhh, not sure. They were doing it last night. I actually haven't been yet. Email I got said they #1's though.

Hell of a storm this morning
    pjhawks wrote:
    I know everyone seems to love Dubee but has he helped one bullpen pitcher become an effective major leaguer for this franchise? every young bullpen arm brought up has sucked. as previously stated be wary of turning to young unproven players. it hasn't gone so well.

not arguing it's a cause and effect this season...but it is interesting that once again this team's record is significantly worse when a certain everyday 4th hitter is not in the lineup for an extended period of time. the numbers are the numbers.

I don't think it's really dubee's fault. It's more of an entire organizational issue. This team is awful at evaluating talent (at the major and amateur levels)...which is compounded by their obviously flawed ways of instructing these guys at the minor league levels. It's not dubee's job to teach a guy in A ball how to throw a changeup or slider. Not saying he's devoid of all blame (there have been plenty of guys who have failed to make the jump from AAA to MLB...which I think he can take some blame for).

It all goes back to this being a disaster of a franchise from top to bottom. I wish they could designate amaro for assignment. He's such an ass hole.

On another note...saw the black crowes for the first time on Sunday. Great live show...put them on your to see list if you've never been. I will definitely be seeing them again. Now that my summer concert tour is over the wait for october begins.....
    Ethan Martin's delivery is awful, especially out of the windup. All over the place...doesn't look like he knows what to do with his hands (some guys go over there head, some are more still at their chest). I'd love to see his splits...I bet he's more effective out of the stretch than he is out of the windup.

Maybe Dubee can fix him. Haha
    Phenomenal

But then, just when you thought that these two men—hyper aware of their commercial appeal, but still in touch with their artistic sensibility—would offer an untouchable, breath-taking performance, Justin Timberlake came out on stage about two-thirds of the way through the show and sang, "Start spreading the news..."

What followed was a brief cover of Frank Sinatra's version of "New York, New York." Then, after a few lines, Jay Z came out on stage and played "New York State of Mind" as the Citizens Bank Park crowd erupted. In the same outfield that was home to A-Rod's go-ahead double and Posada's Game 4-sealing single, Timberlake came out and played what is, basically, the Yankees theme song before Jay Z came out and performed the anthem of the Bronx Bombers' 2009 championship run through the City of Brotherly Love. It was blasphemy. I looked around, astonished, as everyone sang along and bobbed their heads to the song that, just a few years earlier, ushered in what is proving to be the official death of the current version of the Philadelphia Phillies.

Maybe I'm holding a grudge. Maybe I'm shortsighted and shallow and vengeful and classless. But, honestly, f*** that song. I hate the tune and the lyrics and I don't like hearing people sing it, especialy while they're wearing Phillies hats and swaying to-and-fro smack dab in the middle of the the Citizens Bank Park foul poles. Back in the fall of 2009, you couldn't breathe without hearing half a verse of Alicia Keys' chorus on that track. Now, just a handful of years later, we're expected to sing along with Jay Z as if we're celebrating another Yankees banner?! It just feels wrong. It's certainly possible that I had my guard down and my hopes up, but when JT and Hov launched into the Yankees anthem, there wasn't a boo to be heard in South Philly. And, as the Phils rest 19.5 games out of first place, it seems that booing a Yankees theme song from the '09 World Series might be have been the last feat of strength that we could muster before packing it in for a season.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Makes perfect sense. Vanilla and peanut butter home made ice cream. Stuff is phenomenal

Ahhh, not sure. They were doing it last night. I actually haven't been yet. Email I got said they #1's though.

Hell of a storm this morning

Yeah....definitely going next week.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Phenomenal

But then, just when you thought that these two men—hyper aware of their commercial appeal, but still in touch with their artistic sensibility—would offer an untouchable, breath-taking performance, Justin Timberlake came out on stage about two-thirds of the way through the show and sang, "Start spreading the news..."

What followed was a brief cover of Frank Sinatra's version of "New York, New York." Then, after a few lines, Jay Z came out on stage and played "New York State of Mind" as the Citizens Bank Park crowd erupted. In the same outfield that was home to A-Rod's go-ahead double and Posada's Game 4-sealing single, Timberlake came out and played what is, basically, the Yankees theme song before Jay Z came out and performed the anthem of the Bronx Bombers' 2009 championship run through the City of Brotherly Love. It was blasphemy. I looked around, astonished, as everyone sang along and bobbed their heads to the song that, just a few years earlier, ushered in what is proving to be the official death of the current version of the Philadelphia Phillies.

Maybe I'm holding a grudge. Maybe I'm shortsighted and shallow and vengeful and classless. But, honestly, f*** that song. I hate the tune and the lyrics and I don't like hearing people sing it, especialy while they're wearing Phillies hats and swaying to-and-fro smack dab in the middle of the the Citizens Bank Park foul poles. Back in the fall of 2009, you couldn't breathe without hearing half a verse of Alicia Keys' chorus on that track. Now, just a handful of years later, we're expected to sing along with Jay Z as if we're celebrating another Yankees banner?! It just feels wrong. It's certainly possible that I had my guard down and my hopes up, but when JT and Hov launched into the Yankees anthem, there wasn't a boo to be heard in South Philly. And, as the Phils rest 19.5 games out of first place, it seems that booing a Yankees theme song from the '09 World Series might be have been the last feat of strength that we could muster before packing it in for a season.

You know what I think of philly fans, but look at the concert bill. The people paying to see JT jump around like a sprite and sing like a woman are about as sharp as a circle.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Phenomenal

You know what I think of philly fans, but look at the concert bill. The people paying to see JT jump around like a sprite and sing like a woman are about as sharp as a circle.

Ha yeah. Although I do dig jay z, I wouldn't go to that. I just enjoyed reading and reliving that
    I'm down, JP. Lemme know
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Phenomenal

I think this is great. I didn't write it but I don't disagree. Maybe Jay Z was just getting back at us for booing Beyoncé when Destiny's Child came out in Lakers jerseys in the Wells Fargo (wasn't it FU back then?) Center during the NBA Finals in 2001.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    230 presser, Bye bye Charlie?
    Go Birds!!!!
    Thanks Charlie!
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    Great run for Charlie.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    It's bullshit. Should've been given his choice to stay, unless he WANTED out now.

Most underrated manager/coach in this city in the past 25+ years.

Amaro should be the one being bounced.
    It's bullshit. Should've been given his choice to stay, unless he WANTED out now.

I don't think he's that underrated. Who would argue with that fact that he's had the most success by far? I'm sure there's dumbasses out there that would say that they liked Buddy Ryan more...but whatever.

As for Amaro, yeah he's gone at the end of the year. He has to be. Pretty sad to see Charlie canned mid-season and Amaro get to finish it out...but again...whatever.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:

I don't think he's that underrated. Who would argue with that fact that he's had the most success by far? I'm sure there's dumbasses out there that would say that they liked Buddy Ryan more...but whatever.

As for Amaro, yeah he's gone at the end of the year. He has to be. Pretty sad to see Charlie canned mid-season and Amaro get to finish it out...but again...whatever.

Amaro won't just finish out. He's got at least another three years here for sure.

And in this town Manuel is COMPLETELY underrated - ala comparisons to an idiot, and almost like he never won anything, as if he was the worst manager/coach in this city. He exceeded all expectations and was far and away better than any other coach in this city during his tenure. If Reid deserves to finish it out, then so does this man.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078

Have you had this talk with The Fixer?
    Go Birds!!!!

Amaro won't just finish out. He's got at least another three years here for sure.

And in this town Manuel is COMPLETELY underrated - ala comparisons to an idiot, and almost like he never won anything, as if he was the worst manager/coach in this city. He exceeded all expectations and was far and away better than any other coach in this city during his tenure. If Reid deserves to finish it out, then so does this man.

Three more years of Amaro is frightening thought.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    You ain't kiddin'.

Best thing I think that can come out of this is what I saw David Murphy tweet, "Best news for Phillies fans is that the GM is now on the clock."
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752
    Wow yeah just saw this, pretty shocked. Def. should have let him finish the season at least. Also I know we sucked this year but can you blame it all on him? Didn't occur to me but we were hurt a lot by injuries (not making an excuse). :( Best phillies manager? I think so.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC