***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2013 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Bored as this conference call drones on. For a good laugh I looked back to see some reactions to the howard contract. Enjoy :lol::lol::lol::lol:

THIS IS A GREAT DAY GENTLEMEN! :clap::clap::clap::clap:
    -Juggler

Really? You think its a good idea to lock up a slugging first baseman a year before he is to become a free agent for what is going to be the highest contract in the league in terms of AAV? Especially in this market with the contract taking him to 37. Don't get me wrong he is an outstanding player, but this contract is absurd.
    -Cliff

don't forget ..he came up big in the series :lol:
    -Neily (referring to howards' epic 2009 WS performance, which earned him WS MVP. For the yanks)

lot of money---yes. but i am just thrilled we were able to keep him here. he's a better all around player today than he was 3 years ago. his defense is much, much improved. he's lost a lot of weight and is in better all around shape and is right in the prime of his career. i love it.
    -Juggler (pom poms were in full effect back in 2010)

Great deal,love that he should retire a philly.
    -jammin

I hear you, he is a great player, that is just too much for too long in my opinion. There is no need to extend him a year and a half early for that money or time, its just not good business.
    -cliff

Too much for too long arwe u serious? 5yrs at 25 million is a great deal for a 30yr. The norm anymore is these insane 10yr contracts gettn him locked up until 2016 is perfect.if he hit the market he probably could have gotten a 5-7yr deal for 25-30 mill a season.great deal ruben.
    -jammin (the guy who claims he always hated this contract :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: )

I absoultey hate this contract. type of deal that sends teams into rebuilding mode. Hate it, hate it, hate it
    -Fixer

I could care less about stars playing here. I want the phils to win. this deal restricts them from winning once it kicks in.

majored in econ...you don't make deals that result in diminishing returns, which this contract surely will. dumb, dumb, dumb.

everyone loves amaro because he's winning with what gillick built. his deals are questionable at best.
    -Fixer

my howard contract analysis...

he's now 2nd highest paid player in baseball (per year).

he's 3rd best player on his team

in a nutshell...too many years, deal offered two years too early, too much money

not a good move
    -Fixer

sabermetrics are for geeks.
    -juggler

so rbi's are meaningless huh? the main run producing stat this sport has used for the past 130 some years doesn't count for anything? riigggggght. comments like that is proof positive why sabermetrics is a bit of a croc. that rob neyer guy had a list of 20 or more players who are better than ryan howard based on those numbers. c'mon!

"just get me to the plate boys"---sabermetric doesnt measure that kind of stat.
    -juggler

The end years of the deal may not be great for this franchise, but having him locked up gives this team another 3-4 years window in the NL - can't argue with that. I'll take the risk of 2 extra years at $25 million for the opportunity to win it all for another 3 or 4 years.
    -pjhawks

then the infamous joey votto comparison started. that is hilarious to read now. jammin and pjhawks should be banned from talking baseball after that debacle

This one might be my favorite. Defending howard and happ in the same post!!!! All that's missing is zach duke or delmon young support. Classic

This is insane the bottom line in sports is wins and loses correct. And the players with the best numbers get paid the most correct. I could give a shit about saberwhatever or all these other insane new things. Gotta love j happ killn it last year but because of some new thing sayn his balls get hit hard or right to people last that he should have a bad year this year. INSANE. If my eyes tell me the players good that's all I need to know. Howard is by far better then any other 1st basemen besides pujulos and that's just a FACT. And if you disagree your just wrong.
    -jammin

This is all crazy talk. The Howard contract is horrendous. The only thing that got me giddy about it is the commitment from the organization to its proven players. But I'm taking Tex, Poop Holes, Fielder, A Gone, Miggy, and possibly Morneau over Howard any day. Howard is a product of this lineup for the most part. Put Howard on Cincy, Pitt, KC, or any other garbage team and no pitcher pitches to him, he doesn't end up with more than 35 homers, and continues to strikeout or hit a home run with even less people on base due to there no being three all stars hitting in front of you. Love Howard, but this is all crazy talk.
    -JP

This is just from approx pages 140-150. Funny as hell.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    The only thing that would make this better - and I assume that's why people aren't talking over there - would be conversation regarding Cooper in the Birds thread.

I can only imagine where the subject would go. I mean, I'm trying to poke the bear, but no takers.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to a Birds season for the first time since 2006.
    The only thing that would make this better - and I assume that's why people aren't talking over there - would be conversation regarding Cooper in the Birds thread.

I can only imagine where the subject would go. I mean, I'm trying to poke the bear, but no takers.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to a Birds season for the first time since 2006.

I've been doing my best to avoid that topic.

All of these dumb mlb steroid and useless nfl camp stories got me thinking...is august the worst month of the year? it's long, hot, boring, sports stink if your mlb team isn't good, you get beaten down with shitty nfl training camp stories, no holidays, weather sucks ass, etc.

August beats out March and February for worst month of year in my book.
    The Fixer wrote:

All of these dumb mlb steroid and useless nfl camp stories got me thinking...is august the worst month of the year? it's long, hot, boring, sports stink if your mlb team isn't good, you get beaten down with shitty nfl training camp stories, no holidays, weather sucks ass, etc.

In order of worst to best months - February, January, December, August, March, November, April, July, October, June, May, September.

I can't stand the cold dreck of winter, sans the holidays. I'll take the stank of summer over it any day. But, March edges August because it's got the advent of spring, going down to Clearwater, etc - everything's on the cusp of being awesome. Whereas August is the sign of summer closing.
    The Fixer wrote:

In order of worst to best months - February, January, December, August, March, November, April, July, October, June, May, September.

I can't stand the cold dreck of winter, sans the holidays. I'll take the stank of summer over it any day. But, March edges August because it's got the advent of spring, going down to Clearwater, etc - everything's on the cusp of being awesome. Whereas August is the sign of summer closing.

You put february first because it's black history month. you riley cooper SOB.

February isn't the worst. Super Bowl...only 4 weeks...presidents day. March and August are both so long and boring.

worst to best (I despise the heat and humidity of the summer)

august, march, february, june, july, december, january, november, may, september, april, october
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Holy shit, Daulton looked good. I didn't expect that.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Holy shit, Daulton looked good. I didn't expect that.

Yeah he did. Cant believe he didn't really have any impediments.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466

cooper's lucky maclin is out for the year but desean jackson made that gay slur a couple years ago and nothing happened to him though. i don't see much of a difference. that said, the eagles could not have handled this worse. they should have anticipated the pr nightmare and given him some kind of suspension to go along with the fine.

but yeah i'm as excited for this birds season than i've been in a quite a while, especially since this phils team now has the same sort of stench around it as the last few seasons of the andy reid era.

at least i'll get '93 pennant tonight. :thumbup: :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    also, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucking tom mccarthy. i hate how you can't avoid this dope... even on the fox national games.

harry and wheels made losing seasons bearable. this guy just amplifies the suckiness. and you don't even get a break for the middle innings.

"take it way murph!?" douche.
    www.myspace.com
    also, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucking tom mccarthy. i hate how you can't avoid this dope... even on the fox national games.

harry and wheels made losing seasons bearable. this guy just amplifies the suckiness. and you don't even get a break for the middle innings.

I don't know one person who likes him or wheels. The phils are so disconnected to their fans...their announcers are really a huge middle finger to us. I'm done giving money to those ass holes until they make significant organizational changes...gonna get sixers or flyers season tix instead.

Saw Low Cut Connie at the Underground Arts last night. They put on a great show...cool band. Awesome little place to see a show. Ended up doing a bunch of jameson shots with one of the band members. Hurting today. The Trestle Inn is also a decent spot.

Have attended a concert each of last three weekends. Summer tour continues next week with the Black Crowes.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752
    The Fixer wrote:

I don't know one person who likes him or wheels. The phils are so disconnected to their fans...their announcers are really a huge middle finger to us. I'm done giving money to those ass holes until they make significant organizational changes...gonna get sixers or flyers season tix instead.

I dunno, I like Larry Anderson.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    The Fixer wrote:

I dunno, I like Larry Anderson.

I meant mccarthy and wheels. LA and Franzke are great. I like jim jackson too.
    can we just forget that this season even happened? :fp:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Philly got it pretty rough in 42.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Bastardo :lol::lol::lol:
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

You mean the movie? It was and still is a racist town.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, and no doubt. It was just the one city they really highlighted outside of spring training.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, and no doubt. It was just the one city they really highlighted outside of spring training.

I'm sure it was highlighted for a reason. I've always heard stories that it was awful for the black ballplayers here. Dick Allen got it bad.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Philly is as racist as any other NE city. I would argue it's not even close to how bad it is in a town like Pittsburgh or Boston - ie where the black population is far less and they have the balls to be much more overt about it.

On an unrelated note - didn't know about this 50/50 raffle until going to the game last night. All I gotta say is I'm hooked, and what in the hell took them so long??? Genius idea.
    Haha, nowwww it makes sense as to why Bastardo was good once......once.
    the best part of last night was seeing all the '93 squad down there. god i loved that team. but why is there like no other footage of them other than whats on the Whatever It Takes Dude and the 10 year anniversary dvd they gave out at the vet? i feel like whenever the phils show highlites or even on comcast, it's always the same old stuff that Video Dan Stephenson shot. last night the "video tribute" before the game was literally 5 minutes from the 10 year anniversary dvd that most of us have seen before. anyone else find that a bit peculiar?

and someone mentioned it before, but i did not expect dutch to look as good as he did...although he hasn't started chemo yet.
    www.myspace.com
    congrats to ben revere. I didn't think it was possible to make this tv broadcast more painful to listen to, but he accomplished that feat.

hamels pitching well again tonight...of course amaro's lineup not helping him at all.
    utley celebrates his contract extension by putting a catcher on a stretcher. love that dude
    kinda looked like both of navarro's legs were busted up on that play.

if this is only 2 years in the mid to high 20's with the 3rd an option based on amount of time on the field or something, i think i'm cool with that...
    www.myspace.com
    warm welcome to casper wells. towson university represent
    Saw the Valencia soccer team in the airport today. Not sure what the fuck they were doing in the commercial terminal but whatever, kind of cool. No one had a clue who they were except for me. :lol:

Borgata for the killers tomorrow. Pretty pumped. Never been to a show there and I hear its sweet. Plus it's free
    Geez just saw the standing, The Mets passed us for 3rd :fp:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Saw the Valencia soccer team in the airport today. Not sure what the fuck they were doing in the commercial terminal but whatever, kind of cool. No one had a clue who they were except for me. :lol:

Borgata for the killers tomorrow. Pretty pumped. Never been to a show there and I hear its sweet. Plus it's free

I still don't know who they are :lol:

I heard same thing about shows at the borgata...I haven't been to that venue either. Was gonna go see Gary Clark Jr there in October, but I will be in NYC for the PJ shows. I have a concert doubleheader on sunday. Low Cut Connnie at World Cafe Live Wilmington at 4 (they are coming to philly for a free show at Liquid Velvet Underground Record Store in Quenn Village at 6), then the Black Crowes at the Mann. Pumped to see the Crowes...they've been on my 'to see' list for a long time.
    the best part of last night was seeing all the '93 squad down there. god i loved that team. but why is there like no other footage of them other than whats on the Whatever It Takes Dude and the 10 year anniversary dvd they gave out at the vet? i feel like whenever the phils show highlites or even on comcast, it's always the same old stuff that Video Dan Stephenson shot. last night the "video tribute" before the game was literally 5 minutes from the 10 year anniversary dvd that most of us have seen before. anyone else find that a bit peculiar?

and someone mentioned it before, but i did not expect dutch to look as good as he did...although he hasn't started chemo yet.

They couldn't edit out all the needles from the other footage. :D
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
This discussion has been closed.