***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2013 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Great game for fatty mcgoo

rumors of papelbon's velocity being down. better get rid of him and his awful contract now
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Fucking Charlie with these defensive replacements. We don't score enough to warrant these changes. If Galvis makes a good throw to Paps the game is over. Is Freddy that much better than Frandsen? Why is Delmon Young still playing?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Fucking Charlie with these defensive replacements. We don't score enough to warrant these changes. If Galvis makes a good throw to Paps the game is over. Is Freddy that much better than Frandsen? Why is Delmon Young still playing?

don't forget intentionally walking a .220 hitter in the 10th. I hate intentionally walking guys especially with relievers who struggle to throw strikes.

and I don't get this fan base's fascination with freddy galvis. he's is hitting .208 this season and .218 over the 2 years in the majors so far. nice defensive player and somewhat versatile, yet some of this fan base want's him to be an everyday starter. the backup in philly is always the best place to be because the fans think you are great. it's the AJ Feeley syndrome.
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

don't forget intentionally walking a .220 hitter in the 10th. I hate intentionally walking guys especially with relievers who struggle to throw strikes.

and I don't get this fan base's fascination with freddy galvis. he's is hitting .208 this season and .218 over the 2 years in the majors so far. nice defensive player and somewhat versatile, yet some of this fan base want's him to be an everyday starter. the backup in philly is always the best place to be because the fans think you are great. it's the AJ Feeley syndrome.

Thankfully I missed the top of the 10th by putting Anchorman on.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Fire Charlie and Ruben. Trade Papelbon, Rollins, Ruiz and M. Young. Cut D. Young and M. Martinez. Hire Arbuckle and Sandberg. Bring up Asche, Ruf and whoever else too fill in the gaps. Ps I hate this team!!!
    Go Birds!!!!
    edited June 2013
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

People want galvis because he is unknown. I'll take the unknown over guys who suck (M young, who you wanted here) every time.

This team stinks. Let the young guys play and get experience. Seeing Michael Young, Delmon Young, Mayberry, Howard, etc play everyday is a waste. We already know they all suck
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    Ineptitude running rampant. Frustrating to read, but certainly not surprising. I hope everyone is ready for a decade of sucking, because that's what these dopes have laid the foundation for.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phi ... lence.html
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Nice to see R6 getting HOT!!!!!!!!!!!! To bad the rest of the team sucks.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

People want galvis because he is unknown. I'll take the unknown over guys who suck (M young, who you wanted here) every time.

This team stinks. Let the young guys play and get experience. Seeing Michael Young, Delmon Young, Mayberry, Howard, etc play everyday is a waste. We already know they all suck

i just love this theory that people throw around...play the young guys...and win about 60 games. wtf has galvis done to deserve a starting job in the majors? he can't hit. and that was the knock on him in the minors before coming to the majors.

if you want to argue frandsen at 3rd over young i'll give you that, he has at least performed at the major league level offensively in his 1+ years in the majors.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752
    :fp: damn that was an ugly game.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839

Worst shut-out loss in over a decade.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com

Really? I would have thought they got shutout worse than that, least it seems like they would have.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA

Really? I would have thought they got shutout worse than that, least it seems like they would have.

I thought I heard them say that on MLB Network but who the hell even cares about this point
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Baseball rule question, a grounder is hit to the 1st baseman who can't get a hold of the ball. After bobbling the ball, he grabs the ball with his bare hand and tagged the base with his glove hand before the runner reached the bag. The runner was ruled safe. Does anyone know the official ruling?
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Baseball rule question, a grounder is hit to the 1st baseman who can't get a hold of the ball. After bobbling the ball, he grabs the ball with his bare hand and tagged the base with his glove hand before the runner reached the bag. The runner was ruled safe. Does anyone know the official ruling?

I believe as long as it's a force he should be out.

of course baseball has some f'd up rules. in fact espn.com had a pool last week with 10 questions on rules that I've listed below. I did ok on it, but even lots of the players didn't know some of these. check it out, kind of interesting.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/quiz/_/ ... -mlb-rules
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    edited June 2013
    The Fixer wrote:
    Ineptitude running rampant. Frustrating to read, but certainly not surprising. I hope everyone is ready for a decade of sucking, because that's what these dopes have laid the foundation for.

i'll never understand fans who actually believe what any of these guys say. it's a waste of your time. i believe you've actually argued this same point too.

i do not think we are not entering a mid to late 90's type of mode with this team, as your post implies. there are way too many resources now, especially with the new tv deal on the horizon.

this run was bound to come to an end at some point. definitely tough to deal with. but it doesn't mean they are going to suck for 10 years in this watered down version of major league baseball where an average team can get hot in september/october and end up winning the whole thing.

you always quote your boy keith law when he's ripping the phils. i guess it's not surprising you have not said anything about their draft this year...given how law was impressed by it. gotta start somewhere, i guess:

law's take on the phils draft:
    Philadelphia Phillies

The Phillies had my favorite top five picks of any draft class in the NL, taking four prep bats who fit their usual philosophy of betting on athleticism but all of whom also have some present skills, as opposed to the Anthony Hewitts of yesteryear. J.P. Crawford (16) was the draft's best shortstop, a long-term project at the plate but with the hand speed and general approach to make you think he can develop into a solid-average hitter in five years, with above-average defense at short. Andrew Knapp (53) was the only college catcher in the class with a good chance to develop into an everyday player.

Cord Sandberg (89), who has already signed a slightly above-slot deal that came together awfully fast, won't be playing quarterback for Mississippi State after all; he's a great athlete with size and quickness as well as the potential for 20-plus homers from right field. Jan Hernandez (96) has good bat speed and the rotation for power if he can keep his back side firm; he's a shortstop now but probably ends up at third base where his hands and arm will help him become an above-average defender.

Catcher Jake Sweaney (121) was one of my favorite sleepers for the third round, but the Phillies got him in the fourth. He needs some swing help, but the upside is an everyday catcher whose bat makes up for minor defensive deficiencies. After that, they took some recognizable names but no one significant. Trey Williams (211) has seen his stock plummet since his junior year and is a million miles away from being a prospect. Joey Martarano (391) is committed to Boise State to play football (they don't even have baseball) but has zero feel to hit right now. Cavan Biggio (871) will join his brother at Notre Dame this fall. And Oregon State right-hander Dan Child (541) lost his rotation spot but is still 6-5 with a 60 fastball, so if he signs there's still some potential here.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

I believe as long as it's a force he should be out.

I do too. If you have possession of the ball in your bare hand and touch the bag with your foot the guy is out. So why can't you touch it with a glove hand? Or if you flip to where the ball is in the glove and the fielder tags the bag with this bare hand, that should be and out too.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    nice way to lose last night give up the game tying runs in the bottom of the ninth and lose in extras :clap: :roll:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Holy Fuck! I'd say something derogatory about Charlie but I can't quite come up with anything that hasn't been said already.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    it's one thing to be dragging and have bags under my eyes. it's another thing to be dragging and have bags under my eyes as a result of last night's garbage.

ladies and gentlemen, we are officially being tortured.
    www.myspace.com
    it's one thing to be dragging and have bags under my eyes. it's another thing to be dragging and have bags under my eyes as a result of last night's garbage.

ladies and gentlemen, we are officially being tortured.

Charlie needs to be fired. he's not coming back next year anyway and the fundamentals on this team stink. he's a prick too. took a lot of credit for the offense when they were great but now says what can he do about it. he is a fraud and always has been. won one title but should have been 2 or 3.

when players chirp about their teammates they better back up their words on the field. pap has sucked since opening his mouth and cliff has blown a 4 run lead, gave up 2 in the 9th on a night when offensively he also cost them about 2 runs himself (contact would have gotten another run early and an atrocious effort at bunting...and should have been pinch hit for in the 9th).

anyone else hear the stat last night that since April 18th the Phils have the best record in the NL East. that's hard to imagine.
    The Fixer wrote:

i'll never understand fans who actually believe what any of these guys say. it's a waste of your time. i believe you've actually argued this same point too.

i do not think we are not entering a mid to late 90's type of mode with this team, as your post implies. there are way too many resources now, especially with the new tv deal on the horizon.

this run was bound to come to an end at some point. definitely tough to deal with. but it doesn't mean they are going to suck for 10 years in this watered down version of major league baseball where an average team can get hot in september/october and end up winning the whole thing.

you always quote your boy keith law when he's ripping the phils. i guess it's not surprising you have not said anything about their draft this year...given how law was impressed by it. gotta start somewhere, i guess:

law's take on the phils draft:
    Philadelphia Phillies

The Phillies had my favorite top five picks of any draft class in the NL, taking four prep bats who fit their usual philosophy of betting on athleticism but all of whom also have some present skills, as opposed to the Anthony Hewitts of yesteryear. J.P. Crawford (16) was the draft's best shortstop, a long-term project at the plate but with the hand speed and general approach to make you think he can develop into a solid-average hitter in five years, with above-average defense at short. Andrew Knapp (53) was the only college catcher in the class with a good chance to develop into an everyday player.

Cord Sandberg (89), who has already signed a slightly above-slot deal that came together awfully fast, won't be playing quarterback for Mississippi State after all; he's a great athlete with size and quickness as well as the potential for 20-plus homers from right field. Jan Hernandez (96) has good bat speed and the rotation for power if he can keep his back side firm; he's a shortstop now but probably ends up at third base where his hands and arm will help him become an above-average defender.

Catcher Jake Sweaney (121) was one of my favorite sleepers for the third round, but the Phillies got him in the fourth. He needs some swing help, but the upside is an everyday catcher whose bat makes up for minor defensive deficiencies. After that, they took some recognizable names but no one significant. Trey Williams (211) has seen his stock plummet since his junior year and is a million miles away from being a prospect. Joey Martarano (391) is committed to Boise State to play football (they don't even have baseball) but has zero feel to hit right now. Cavan Biggio (871) will join his brother at Notre Dame this fall. And Oregon State right-hander Dan Child (541) lost his rotation spot but is still 6-5 with a 60 fastball, so if he signs there's still some potential here.

I agree that most of what these guys say is nonsense...it's not worth getting worked up about. I think the phils are different because they preach a flawed organizational philosophy. They operate as if it still is the 1980s. They are one of a few (might be the only team) who does not have an analytics department. They are so far behind in terms of scouting, player development, talent eval that it's going to hamper their ability to compete. They have openly berated the new stats (they acutally sound like a lot of people in this thread...and we know how inaccurate they are). Montgomery is the poster boy for ineptitude...every time he opens his mouth it's to say something dumb. Until they get rid of amaro and change the way they operate, this team is going to suck. Dark days ahead...lots of them

I gave up on talking draft/prospects here. Waste of time...attempts at worthwhile conversations here are usually an exercise in futility. I'd love to talk about how dylan cozens is doing, but that shit will fly miles over the heads of those here.
    Hope Dutch makes it through his surgery.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    JK_Livin wrote:

me too, but it might explain some of his odd behavior over the years

didn't he claim to see UFOs or something?

either way, that 1993 season was magical, loved every minute of it, until the end of course :lol:
    JK_Livin wrote:

definitely well wishes to Dutch. terrible news.
    JK_Livin wrote:

yeah this really sucks.
    www.myspace.com
    are any of you guys going to wrigley?
    www.myspace.com
    the summer of DOM rolls on...
    www.myspace.com

i am not heading to wrigley as that is around vacation time. i am hoping to get at least one road trip if they do a decent fall tour.

are you headed to wrigley?
    pjhawks wrote:

i am not heading to wrigley as that is around vacation time. i am hoping to get at least one road trip if they do a decent fall tour.

are you headed to wrigley?

yeah looks that way. just the wife and i. i got tickets months ago but thought i was going to have to sell them since we have so much going on this summer. but looks like we are going now. pretty psyched.
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.