Options

***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2013 Thread***

Comments

• Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I still can't stand JMJ but thanks for the effort I guess.

The booing was classic.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,282
    Johnny Jr. coming through in extra frames!

:D first walk off grand slam for us since dale Murphy in '91 :lol:

I fucking LOVED Dale Murphy. :D

I had turned the game off because I had to be in really early today, because I'm leaving early to go to today's game. But I turned it back on just in time to see Mayberry's grand slam.

Then I was so pumped I couldn't sleep. :(

Dale Murphy should be a Hall of Famer.

Let's see if the so-called ace (ok and the offense) can get us to .500 today.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,458
    http://www.thegoodphight.com/2013/6/4/4 ... uben-amaro

Catz Corner: A Reluctant Thank You To Ruben Amaro

The guy has done a lot of stupid stuff. He's made a lot of bonehead decisions. But the one decision he did (or didn't make) is the one that will likely define him, and for that, I have to say thank you.

The following letter is en route to Ruben Amaro. Seriously. I wrote it, and I sent it. Cause every now and then, even the baddest of the bad guys need to know that there's good deep down in the pit of their black lifeless hearts. Cause maybe they'll change. Right? ...

Dear Ruben,

My name is Joecatz. I am a contributor at a Phillies blog, www.thegoodphight.com. You may remember me from my recent parody of why in gods name you guys chose to call up Michael Martinez, or The letter i wrote a while back, asking for a job.

Now, over the years I've written some pretty nasty stuff about you. Most of it was warranted, and frankly most of it probably still is warranted. Before I go any further, you should know that I still believe you're running this organization into the ground, your blatant disregard for the use of saber-metric analysis will be your downfall, and by now you should really understand that spending money on veteran relievers is both a waste of resources, roster space and prospect development, not to mention a detriment to the team you put on the field. But I digress. those are issues for another time, and another place.

It pains me deeply to say these words to you, but I have to. You need to hear it.

I want say thank you.

Thank you for never giving up on Domonic Brown. Thank you for refusing to include him in trades for Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Roy Oswalt, and Hunter Pence. Thank you for not listening to the media, or the fans, or probably the countless number of coaches, staff, scouts and consiglieres who told you he was never going to reach the potential that I know YOU always saw in him.

Thank you for always seeing that potential. I know you did, I know deep down inside your smugging a smug little smile right now, owning a shit eating smug little grin, and just wishing you could scream I F&^%$#@G TOLD YOU SO!! to anyone and everyone who tried to push you off of the Dom Brown train. But you never did. You chugged along like a good little conductor. You fed the coal to the engine, and never let the train slide off the tracks. Even when the tracks were gone, the train was stopped, and the wolves were circling the doors. Thank you for also realizing that when the wolves were at the door, begging for blood, that you had to get him away from them for him to find himself again.

Thank you for hiring Steve Henderson and Wally Joyner. Thank you for making him win a job, but stacking the deck so it was pretty easy for him to do it. I mean c'mon. Like you didn't know he was gonna beat out Ruf and a one legged Delmon Young! If I didn't know better, I'd think you PURPOSELY DIDN'T SIGN A REAL FREE AGENT OUTFIELDER BECAUSE YOU WERE AFRAID IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A DETRIMENT TO DOM BROWN!! LOL!!!

Thank you for laughing at Jed Hoyer or Theo Epstien, when they offered (if it really happened) Alfonso Soriano for him. And thank you for hanging up or saying no to what I'm sure were countless other phone calls that no one knows about. Thanks for not trading him for Mike Olt, if that one came up, man is HE STINKING IT UP!

Thank you for giving him 4 at bats and nine innings in the field every day of his career with the Phillies save 2 weeks in August in 2010. Thank you for making sure he developed into an everyday player, rather than relegating him to a bench guy. Thank you for never giving up on him by letting him stay in Philly to collect dust in 2011. In hindsight, it was probably the best thing for him.

And thank you for letting me watch him blossom into this glorious player as a member of the Philadelphia Phillies. If this were happening someplace else it would be the straw that broke the camel's back of an otherwise uneventful season. It would literally be too much for me to bear. I would be devastated, heartbroken, and inconsolable, and so too would thousands of fans like me, and man would Cataldi never let you hear the end of it!

"I always said he was gonna be a star!"

Thank you for making me care about this otherwise shit-storm of a season.

But most of all, thank you for giving my son a hero again. Thank you for the joy that comes into my life every morning when the first thing my 6 year old wants to do is see what Dom did last night while he was asleep. When I was a boy I'd check the box scores in the morning to see what Mike Schmidt had done the night before. My kid (and David Cohen's kid, and probably thousands of other kids in the Delaware Valley) are doing that with Dom now.

Mostly though, thank you for giving us this gift in what has otherwise been a pretty unbearable season. It may not last, (I think we both know it will) but you deserve to hear that you did something right in my book. Long after you are gone (and I hate to say it Ruben, but I don't think even Dom Brown can save you. Eventually everyone pays the piper.) People will look back and they won't talk about the Pence trade, or the Cliff Lee Trade, or Delmon Young, or how you extended Ryan Howard.

No sir.

In the annals of Phillies History, You, Ruben Amaro, will be known as the man who didn't give up on Domonic Brown.

And for that, and only that, you have my everlasting thanks.

Can we talk about that analytics job now?

Sincerely,

JoeCatz.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:

The booing was classic.

bob davidson is awful. he deserved it. umpiring in baseball is getting worse and worse each year.

revere should have not went head first..but still, there is absolutely no way in hell that was interference.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    edited June 2013
    Building collapsed at 22nd and market. Not good.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/loc ... wt_PHBrand

Hope none of you fuckers were wacking off at the forum this morning...

Edit: Salvation Army....people keep getting pulled out on stretchers

8-10 trapped
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:

The booing was classic.

bob davidson is awful. he deserved it. umpiring in baseball is getting worse and worse each year.

revere should have not went head first..but still, there is absolutely no way in hell that was interference.

I'm also not sure Lucas pulled his foot off the bag before he received the ball.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

The booing was classic.

I'm also not sure Lucas pulled his foot off the bag before he received the ball.

yeah he did. i was just watching a .gif of it. is that what these things are called? gifs?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,282
    http://www.thegoodphight.com/2013/6/4/4393902/catz-corner-a-reluctant-thank-you-to-ruben-amaro

The guy has done a lot of stupid stuff. He's made a lot of bonehead decisions. But the one decision he did (or didn't make) is the one that will likely define him, and for that, I have to say thank you.

The following letter is en route to Ruben Amaro. Seriously. I wrote it, and I sent it. Cause every now and then, even the baddest of the bad guys need to know that there's good deep down in the pit of their black lifeless hearts. Cause maybe they'll change. Right? ...

Dear Ruben,

My name is Joecatz. I am a contributor at a Phillies blog, http://www.thegoodphight.com. You may remember me from my recent parody of why in gods name you guys chose to call up Michael Martinez, or The letter i wrote a while back, asking for a job.

Now, over the years I've written some pretty nasty stuff about you. Most of it was warranted, and frankly most of it probably still is warranted. Before I go any further, you should know that I still believe you're running this organization into the ground, your blatant disregard for the use of saber-metric analysis will be your downfall, and by now you should really understand that spending money on veteran relievers is both a waste of resources, roster space and prospect development, not to mention a detriment to the team you put on the field. But I digress. those are issues for another time, and another place.

It pains me deeply to say these words to you, but I have to. You need to hear it.

I want say thank you.

Thank you for never giving up on Domonic Brown. Thank you for refusing to include him in trades for Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Roy Oswalt, and Hunter Pence. Thank you for not listening to the media, or the fans, or probably the countless number of coaches, staff, scouts and consiglieres who told you he was never going to reach the potential that I know YOU always saw in him.

Thank you for always seeing that potential. I know you did, I know deep down inside your smugging a smug little smile right now, owning a shit eating smug little grin, and just wishing you could scream I F&^%$#@G TOLD YOU SO!! to anyone and everyone who tried to push you off of the Dom Brown train. But you never did. You chugged along like a good little conductor. You fed the coal to the engine, and never let the train slide off the tracks. Even when the tracks were gone, the train was stopped, and the wolves were circling the doors. Thank you for also realizing that when the wolves were at the door, begging for blood, that you had to get him away from them for him to find himself again.

Thank you for hiring Steve Henderson and Wally Joyner. Thank you for making him win a job, but stacking the deck so it was pretty easy for him to do it. I mean c'mon. Like you didn't know he was gonna beat out Ruf and a one legged Delmon Young! If I didn't know better, I'd think you PURPOSELY DIDN'T SIGN A REAL FREE AGENT OUTFIELDER BECAUSE YOU WERE AFRAID IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A DETRIMENT TO DOM BROWN!! LOL!!!

Thank you for laughing at Jed Hoyer or Theo Epstien, when they offered (if it really happened) Alfonso Soriano for him. And thank you for hanging up or saying no to what I'm sure were countless other phone calls that no one knows about. Thanks for not trading him for Mike Olt, if that one came up, man is HE STINKING IT UP!

Thank you for giving him 4 at bats and nine innings in the field every day of his career with the Phillies save 2 weeks in August in 2010. Thank you for making sure he developed into an everyday player, rather than relegating him to a bench guy. Thank you for never giving up on him by letting him stay in Philly to collect dust in 2011. In hindsight, it was probably the best thing for him.

And thank you for letting me watch him blossom into this glorious player as a member of the Philadelphia Phillies. If this were happening someplace else it would be the straw that broke the camel's back of an otherwise uneventful season. It would literally be too much for me to bear. I would be devastated, heartbroken, and inconsolable, and so too would thousands of fans like me, and man would Cataldi never let you hear the end of it!

But most of all, thank you for giving my son a hero again. Thank you for the joy that comes into my life every morning when the first thing my 6 year old wants to do is see what Dom did last night while he was asleep. When I was a boy I'd check the box scores in the morning to see what Mike Schmidt had done the night before. My kid (and David Cohen's kid, and probably thousands of other kids in the Delaware Valley) are doing that with Dom now.

Mostly though, thank you for giving us this gift in what has otherwise been a pretty unbearable season. It may not last, (I think we both know it will) but you deserve to hear that you did something right in my book. Long after you are gone (and I hate to say it Ruben, but I don't think even Dom Brown can save you. Eventually everyone pays the piper.) People will look back and they won't talk about the Pence trade, or the Cliff Lee Trade, or Delmon Young, or how you extended Ryan Howard.

No sir.

In the annals of Phillies History, You, Ruben Amaro, will be known as the man who didn't give up on Domonic Brown.

Sincerely,

JoeCatz.

that guy comes off as such a douche bag in that letter.

and as great as Dom has been let's at least give him a full season before we declare him a superstar. one great month of hitting does not a star make. he was hitting .205 just over a month ago.
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    1 game away from 500 means a 3-2 Marlins win today.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options

fuck that--today's the day! then onward and upward. :lol:

eventually they're gonna start winning these games hamels starts....right? right? :?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Will be a miracle if no one is dead...shit looks bad.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    http://www.thegoodphight.com/2013/6/4/4393902/catz-corner-a-reluctant-thank-you-to-ruben-amaro

Dear Ruben,

My name is Joecatz. I am a contributor at a Phillies blog, http://www.thegoodphight.com. You may remember me from my recent parody of why in gods name you guys chose to call up Michael Martinez, or The letter i wrote a while back, asking for a job.

I want say thank you.

No sir.

Sincerely,

JoeCatz.

that guy comes off as such a douche bag in that letter.

and as great as Dom has been let's at least give him a full season before we declare him a superstar. one great month of hitting does not a star make. he was hitting .205 just over a month ago.

it's called schtick, dude.

of course, you give him a full year. but so many people wrote him off with so few at bats, it's nice to see him blossoming. this is reminiscent of the r6 back in '06-ish. fun to watch, in a not too fun (as of yet) season.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

eventually they're gonna start winning these games hamels starts....right? right? :?
    You'd think ;) With this squad I expect nothing honestly.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options

You'd think ;) With this squad I expect nothing honestly.

i know. sadly, i know. grasping for straws here dude. :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

yikes. just saw this
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

yikes. just saw this

Yeah, looks like a mess. The woman works right around the corner, she's out of town for work this week, thankfully.
  • Options
    I was the asshole who said 90 was an poss in the beginning. So i'm all for this team finding that streak. I just don't see them hitting enough.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Fingers crossed, it sounds like everyone is alright.
  • Options
    :D
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    tumblr_m1y6fsVrUf1r7fn4mo1_500.jpg
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Nice inning fellas. So in order to get Cole a win, he needs to leave the game :lol:
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    tumblr_m1y6fsVrUf1r7fn4mo1_500.jpg

I'd like to note how disturbing it is that you equate eating a block of cheese with some sort of bachelor paradise.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    they should dfa the anti dentite and platoon mayberry and nix...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,781
    it was a fun game, glad to see Hamels get the win. Found out about building collapse around 11:00am while bbq'ing in the Linc parking lot, and it kind of overshadowed the fun a bit. Very sad waking up to hear 6 dead this morning.
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    The Philadelphia Dom Browns are in second place
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    M. Young leading off and Mayberry batting 2nd against a Righty. Not sure I agree with either move.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    brown, dom....manufacturing runs all by himself. (although he very easily could have been out on both of those sb's)
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,237
    Nice little run we have going.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA