***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2013 Thread***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    Word. I put in for Philly and Brooklyn. I'll be getting Charm City tix closer to showtime.

Good stuff. Here's to hoping this new single doesn't suck as much as Ole'; and that the album finds a sound that's better than Avocado or Backspacer. I know this is messed up to say, but these dudes are way more on their game when there's some kind of tragedy. Let's go tragedies. I know, I regretted that statement as soon as I made it.

well....riot act came out shortly after a tragedy.

the problem this band has is they sacrifised quality, creative, and epic albums for longevity. that's why they spend so much time on solo and side project stuff. been 4 years since the last one...but it's not like they've been in the trenches working on the new one that whole time. that's what has me worried. and the fact that this single supposedly has a punk/stbc vibe to it, makes me think ed's gonna have a hell of a hard time with it live...like he has with all the other songs of similiar ilk. ilk. here's to hoping for the best though. :mrgreen:

birds/cowboys at the linc on the 20th. not quite "greatest week ever" shit...but that still has the makings of a good time.

i'll probably hit up brooklyn on saturday and i guess both the philly shows. bmore or pitt may be an option too.
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    At least Riot Act had teeth.

And that's my point - they spend so much time between albums without putting even close to the amount of time into the albums that the should, at least for the last two. I just want different. Totally and completely different; that's what first 5 or 6 albums were - for the most part different from one another. Even if they sound like Daft Punk meets Woody Guthrie. Just gimme different.

And that's my point - they spend so much time between albums without putting even close to the amount of time into the albums that the should, at least for the last two. I just want different. Totally and completely different; that's what first 5 or 6 albums were - for the most part different from one another. Even if they sound like Daft Punk meets Woody Guthrie. Just gimme different.

i would take daft punk meets woody guthrie in a second.

just going off of what some people are claiming to have heard, and what mke and stone have said in interviews, it sounds like they're sticking to their familiar formula. hope i'm wrong. i want some weird experimental album that's way longer than anything else they've put out. don't see that happening.

but sirens is black 2.0!
    www.myspace.com
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078

i would take daft punk meets woody guthrie in a second.

just going off of what some people are the claiming to have heard, and what mke and stone have said in interviews, it sounds like they're sticking to their familiar formula. hope i'm wrong. i want some weird experimental album that's way longer than anything else they've put out. don't see that happening.

but sirens is black 2.0!
    After Backspacer all they can go is up. From what the video gives us I like this record better BS already. With a wife who will be 8 months prego i'm really hoping for reserved seating.
    Go Birds!!!!
    wait...what video?
    www.myspace.com
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    wait...what video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... K1njeQdAVk

The music at the end is assumed to be Mind Your Manners
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited July 2013
    I'm hoping to hit the brooklyn, philly, and bmore shows. .

Agree with the other opinions...hoping for an improvement on this album (ie, no more slow songs like just breathe or the end...that crap is better left for uke albums).
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    Those who defended and continue to defend this guy have to feel pretty dumb these days. Like I said at the time of the extension, that was the beginning of the end for this era. Was fun while it lasted...now, not so much. Get off your ass and start moving parts Rube, ya turd.

It may surprise no one that the 2013 Philadelphia Phillies are not where they hoped to be in the win-loss column. After a disappointing 81-81 record in 2012, the worst finish for the Phillies in a decade, the hope was that even a past-prime dynasty could retool enough to squeeze another few solid years on the backs of an aging core. The team's TV contract with Comcast expires after the 2015 season, so the front office had an obvious incentive to keep the team together in the hope of cash practically falling out of the sky, as the Los Angeles Dodgers have experienced with their new TV contract.

Alas, it was not meant to be. The Phillies have continued their downward trajectory, and though they're only a few games behind the Washington Nationals, that's mainly because Washington has underperformed expectations, not due to any second wind similar to the one the Boston Red Sox are experiencing this season.

In the middle of a second frustrating season, it's not surprising to see fingers being pointed. Most notable among them has been team general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. calling out Ryan Howard's performance, telling 94 WIP in Philadelphia in a pregame show last week that "if Howard is now relegated to being a platoon player, he's a very expensive platoon player and needs to do better … right now, he's just not doing his job."

Given Howard's .266/.319/.465 line this year with typically mediocre defense, it would take some special delusion to think that he's been doing his job. But how much blame can we really put on Howard? How much was Howard really underperforming reasonable expectations before the recent news that he'll miss six to eight weeks with a meniscus tear?

To get a feel for this, I went back and asked the ZiPS projection system to project Howard's 2013 season from the point his five-year, $125 million contract was signed in April 2010 and before each successive season, with knowledge included of the large drop off in run scoring across both leagues (Howard can hardly be faulted for that).

Cheer up, Alex. Your crazy contract isn't as bad as Ryan Howard's.
    Despite coming off a solid offensive season in 2009 (.279/.360/.571, OPS+ of 141), ZiPS was not optimistic at the time. ZiPS doesn't project a lumbering slugger the same way it projects a speedy middle infielder, using large groups of similar-type players in history to make an estimate. Howard's top comps are not a pretty group -- Carlos Pena, Richie Sexson, Greg Luzinski, Jim Gentile, Mo Vaughn and Cecil Fielder were the top six on the list -- and these are all players who aged poorly. The Howard deal started for his age-32 season and none of those six sluggers had a 3 WAR season at any point at age 32 or later.

The top six comps being flops in their 30s was no fluke, either. If you look at the top 15 comps, only Jim Thome was a star in his 30s. Otherwise, it's an encyclopedia of short-career sluggers, from Rudy York to Dick Stuart to Greg Vaughn.

In a 2013 Philadelphia environment, ZiPS projected Howard's 2013 season at .243/.333/.487 when his deal was signed, a little less batting average and a little more power than his current line, but not a dramatic difference and certainly not super-stardom. Before the 2011 season, the 2013 projection had dropped to .241/.325/.472; fast-forward another year and his 2013 projection was .246/.328/.476; and before this season, he was projected to hit .242/.325/.463.

In other words, Howard's 2013 performance is not a nasty surprise, but exactly what you would expect from a one-dimensional slugger in his early 30s in the middle of a normal decline phase for a player of his type.

At this point, ZiPS projects the contract to be essentially a total loss for the Phillies, with Howard only projected at 5.0 total WAR over the course of the contract (and assuming the $10 million buyout is taken for the final year). That's equivalent to a $94 million loss, a worse projected return than even the A-Rod contract, a deal that the Yankees find daily reason to regret, which ZiPS projects as an $88 million loss. (For the record: ZiPS still holds out some hope for Albert Pujols, projecting his contract as only a $90 million loss.)

If the Phillies are going to do in 2014 what the Red Sox have done in 2013 and have their own renaissance, it's going to require a drastic change in organizational thinking -- and it's going to require plenty of cash. If such a change is to happen, moving on from the executive who got the Phillies into this position -- and continues to not show an understanding of either the position the Phillies are in or how they arrived there -- is a good place to start. If the Howard injury doesn't give the Phillies a ready-made PR excuse to start selling, something's rotten in the city of Philadelphia.
    wait...what video?

nice...yeah i figured this out right after i posed that. haha....sounds interesting. i can't wait till thursday.
    www.myspace.com
    DOM
    www.myspace.com
    wait...what video?

nice...yeah i figured this out right after i posed that. haha....sounds interesting. i can't wait till thursday.
    I like the uptempo of it. I'm sure this will be the most played song come Thursday. As for the guy above :roll: NO ONE LIKED THE EXTENSION MONEY.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    I'll be doing the Philly shows, most likely both, definitely one. Less than 2 weeks before my wedding and 2 weeks in Hawaii after that. Going to any more would just be balls
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I'll be doing the Philly shows, most likely both, definitely one. Less than 2 weeks before my wedding and 2 weeks in Hawaii after that. Going to any more would just be balls
    I'm having my 1st kid the following month. So i'll only be doing the Philly shows. I told my wife Jacob will be grounded when he's born, because he's causing me to miss the NY and Bal shows.
    Go Birds!!!!
    NO ONE LIKED THE EXTENSION MONEY.

amazing how people's past opinions 'change' when proven wrong

manuel is so stupid. didn't even have a RHP up for this zimmerman AB
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Nice call on Hawaii, you guys will have a blast. I have those two island books for you. Good excuse to get together for beers
    Bryce Harper with a beard looks like Dustin Diamond.
    The Fixer wrote:

EVERYONE said he was over paid. Maybe you should go back and see it again. People including myself liked him being signed,we didn't like the amount. Never have and never will. And Charlie taking out Ruf for the butcher is beyond me. Wasting a move for no reason makes no sense.
    Go Birds!!!!
    And Mayberry BLOWS in Rf.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

EVERYONE said he was over paid. Maybe you should go back and see it again. People including myself liked him being signed,we didn't like the amount. Never have and never will. And Charlie taking out Ruf for the butcher is beyond me. Wasting a move for no reason makes no sense.

you are wrong bro. most here said shit like 'he deserved the money', 'glad he's locked up', blah, blah blah. It went on for years dude. And I was right. Go ahead and look up the pages

WTF is mayberry doing?? Can't let the ball over your head there...little league shit
    Well I never liked the Cash. Locking up at the time a premier power hitter, yes. Nice win but i'd still fire Charlie.
    Go Birds!!!!
    yeah i don't think anyone liked the cash. most just chose not to bitch about it every single day for 3 straight years.

hell of a performance by mr. hamels tonight. as i've said, this is a weird fucking team we've got here gents. :lol:

are you guys going for ga or reserved?
    www.myspace.com
    yeah i don't think anyone liked the cash. most just chose not to bitch about every single day for 3 straight years.

hell of a performance by mr. hamels tonight. as i've said, this is a weird fucking team we've got here gents. :lol:

well, since my bitching is about the reason for this team's downfall, I think it's justified. I'm just trying to educate so people don't sound so clueless. It's an extremely difficult task when dealing with philly fans.

It's not a weird team, it's a shit team.

Both
    edited July 2013
    The Fixer wrote:
    yeah i don't think anyone liked the cash. most just chose not to bitch about every single day for 3 straight years.

well, since my bitching is about the reason for this team's downfall, I think it's justified. I'm just trying to educate so people don't sound so clueless. It's an extremely difficult task when dealing with philly fans.

It's not a weird team, it's a shit team.

Both

haha. riight. you were bitching when they were winning 100 games. :lol:

buncha weirdos, this team is.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752
    i'll be happy (kinda) if they are above .500 at the all star break.

Cole is looking pretty sharp his last two starts.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA

young clifton tomorrow vs gonzalez. should be a good one. i like having cole and lee right next to each other in the rotation now.
    www.myspace.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752

young clifton tomorrow vs gonzalez. should be a good one. i like having cole and lee right next to each other in the rotation now.

yeah now if they can get Kendrick back on track....
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    yeah i don't think anyone liked the cash. most just chose not to bitch about it every single day for 3 straight years.
    No one did but why bother :roll:

Very strange, they suck against scrubs and beat the better ones.

Sadly reserve as the wife wants to go(she's my touring partner) and she'll be 8 months prego then. These shows will make me legal,20 and 21 :D
    Go Birds!!!!

Sadly reserve as the wife wants to go(she's my touring partner) and she'll be 8 months prego then. These shows will make me legal,20 and 21 :D

congrats dude. i lost track of my shows. this tour will put me around 30. i gotta add them up. also want to figure out which songs i have not seen live yet.

never had ga for pj. the thing that would worry me about that is waiting hours and hours for a good spot. thinking i'd rather just do the reserve seating.
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953

congrats dude. i lost track of my shows. this tour will put me around 30. i gotta add them up. also want to figure out which songs i have not seen live yet.

never had ga for pj. the thing that would worry me about that is waiting hours and hours for a good spot. thinking i'd rather just do the reserve seating.

That's the thing - I like the GA for the exact reason I don't need to wait hour and hours for a good spot. GA is the first 1/3 - 1/2 of the floor, and I'm not picky, so whether I'm in the front of that 1/3 or in the back of that 1/2, it'll be a good spot. And then if that doesn't work out then I land a decent actual seat. This is the best piece of socialism/communism this band has done in a long time - I've missed it. If yous don't know I'm a commie at heart.

And I've been blacklisted from Hop Sing's.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,311
    I did reserve because I'm old.

I'd be happy with something that sounds Avocado-ish...
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
This discussion has been closed.