Options

Vinyl _____ Show your best/worst sounding!

Comments

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Cut by Grundman - pressed at Pallas B-)
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited January 2015
    I wouldn't mind if both of them had a little more bite and clarity/separation. And there's a lushness with the music, especially with Yield that I don't think is expressed at much as it could be with a really great master.

I try to check the sound quality with reviews and such and it's always reassuring to backtrack through your collection and you read positive reviews of a record you think is great sounding. Luckily, most of the bands I'm into put out quality stuff. Sadly, and I don't think it's horrible, I think PJ is on the lower end of the scale as far as whats in my collection.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    DewieCox wrote: »
    Sadly, and I don't think it's horrible, I think PJ is on the lower end of the scale as far as whats in my collection.
    I sadly agree completely.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,589
    edited January 2015
    MedozK wrote: »
    lolobugg wrote: »
    snootchie bootchies, MedozK. I hear you. it can drive you insane sometimes.
    also, buck
    I agree... especially the remaster/reissues... they were painful to listen to.
    Listened to the remasters once and that was it. Very disappointing. Hopefully they don't do the same brickwalling to No Code or Yield...that would be TRAGIC!

Yup. I basically never play Ten and Vs. since I only have the reissues and they sound like shit. They are just missing something - the regular versions as well as the remasters. There is no oomf to them. :(
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    I have an original copy of Ten which sounds great compared to the reissue. I have a reissue of Vitalogy, but my local record store has a used original (single disc), you think I should see if it's still there if theres a marked difference in sound quality?
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    The original Vitalogy, i think, sounds better and you don't have to flip a needless second record. I wouldn't pay over $50 for the original.

No question on Ten, I think the original Ten sounds WAY better than the remaster.
  • Options
    The original Vitalogy, i think, sounds better and you don't have to flip a needless second record. I wouldn't pay over $50 for the original.

No question on Ten, I think the original Ten sounds WAY better than the remaster.
    I called them up and they've put it aside for me. NZ$59 which is about US$50.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    reesdog wrote: »

I called them up and they've put it aside for me. NZ$59 which is about US$50.
    Good idea. WELL worth it. The reissue stinks.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 680

A local store had an original Vitalogy on sale a few months ago for $50. I had recently bought the remastered version so I didn't buy it. At the time it felt like the right decision. I was trying not to waste money. Now.........it's been bugging me for weeks that I let that go.
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,494
    I've never really done a side-by-side comparison of Ten/Vs./Vitalogy since the original pressings I have I bought used as a bundle and they aren't in the most tip-top of quality and are somewhat noisy. I do however really like the different mix of Ten so I play that record more.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,983
    edited January 2015
    I've done a side by side of the OPs and the reissues. I think OP of 10 sounds better, Vs I can't tell the difference and the original Vitalogy may be a bit more dynamic because the reissue is a bit louder.

But if you dind't have the originals the represses are fine and sound very good.
  • Options
    brianlux wrote: »
    And P.W./'mats fans- more good news: Paul's Suicane Gratifaction is slated to be released on vinyl later this year! :-D
    001_zps92e3cf1e.jpg

This is great news!! Got both his releases last year. Hoping he does the rest. Would love Folker and Come Feel me Tremble on Vinyl...
    here for the music...
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I really enjoyed Beck's Morning Phase - listened to it last weekend primo stuff there
  • Options
    Bob Dylan - MFSL Blood on the Tracks - Great sounding record.
  • Options
    MFSL?
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Do yourself a favor, go get the MOV Reissue of Natural Born Killers
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    PJ_Soul wrote: »
    MFSL?

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    MFSL?
    Hobbes wrote: »
    Yea, sorry. The Mobile Fidelity for $30 is the definitive version of this great record.

• Options
    The sound of this 2LP Vinyl is fantastic... Recommended!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    MedozK said:

MFSL?

Hobbes wrote: »

Yea, sorry. The Mobile Fidelity for $30 is the definitive version of this great record.

(Fucked up quotes)

Oh yes, indeed. I have one if the orginal pressings of Blood on the Tracks, but have the MFSL version of the Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, and it's awesome.
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,770
    Just finished listening to Morning Phase by Beck and it does sound amazing!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    What are three best sounding presses of dark side of the moon, wish you were here, and the wall?

I have the 2011 reissued and the 30th anniversary dark side, but is there better?
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited March 2015
    The 30th anniversary didn't DSOTM come out in 2011. I believe that came out in 2003, and is damn near the definitive version.

Those 2011 releases are ok, but my original presses of WYWH and The Wall are vastly superior. It's widely believed that they are digital sourced.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options

What are three best sounding presses of dark side of the moon, wish you were here, and the wall?

I have the 2011 reissued and the 30th anniversary dark side, but is there better?

The 30th Anniversary DSOTM is the best version I have ever heard.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    The original Thriller sounds incredible. :)
    And every time I spin it I am proud of how well I treated it growing up, lol. It is in perfect condition even though I handled it and played it 100s of times as a kid. It is actually the very first record that i personally ever owned - got it as a gift when I was 6, and remember like it was yesterday how excited I was.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    When you are looking for records, how do you know which pressing/version they are…it seems like that information may or may not be given. Or if they are even from CD or original analog recording. Albums pressed overseas mean anything?
    It is just zoo hard sometimes to pick out a vinyl, hoping it is going to sound good…but I guess thats why we have this thread!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    FrankY59 said:

When you are looking for records, how do you know which pressing/version they are…it seems like that information may or may not be given. Or if they are even from CD or original analog recording. Albums pressed overseas mean anything?
    It is just zoo hard sometimes to pick out a vinyl, hoping it is going to sound good…but I guess thats why we have this thread!

Research is key. There are lots of informational music forums all over the Internet. One pressing may sound great, while another of the same record sounds terrible.

If you are buying used records, you should always have an idea of the runout/matrix information that you want. The runouts of records usually tell you everything you need to know.

Now with new records, its more of a crap shoot. Just always do your research and read reviews. To me with new records I am looking at who did the mastering, who cut the lacquers, and where it was pressed. These 3 things are very important to me.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    edited March 2015
    Sooo take Radiohead The Bends or OK Computer...where do you start. Any place that lists these items describe the album itself rather than tell information about the vinyl being made. There has to be a resource out there to utilize??
  • Options
    FrankY59 said:

Sooo take Radiohead The Bends or OK Computer...where do you start. Any place that lists these items describe the album itself rather than tell information about the vinyl being made. There has to be a resource out there to utilize??

I use Discogs, that gives all the information I need on each vinyl release I'm interested in, just match the record barcode numbers to the list of formats a desired album is in and then it should tell you all the info you need to know. Great website in my opinion.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Great Sound - Neil Young Massey Hall (sounds like he is in my living room)

Not so great - PJ Vault 4 - (pops like a bowl of rice crispies)

ps... my understanding about optimal max length of an LP side is 18 minutes...

"When is an LP side too long?
    When it's over 18 minutes.
    Steve Hoffman,Nov 15, 2010"

taken from an earlier link in this thread