Options

Vinyl _____ Show your best/worst sounding!

Comments

• Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539

this sounds really good
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    smarchee said:

this sounds really good

Nice! And on Orange/clear vinyl too, very cool! I have a Soundgarden one like that...
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    lanoisseforplanoisseforp Posts: 469
    edited January 2014
    Recently I received Brad United We Stand LP... I think it's a European pressing... well got it off their website and was sent to me from the UK. It has a very nice sound and I was impressed with it... plus some very good songs on it.

At the moment from the top of my head... the worst sounding LP records I have is Metallica's Death Magnetic and it's brutal... another one Foo Fighters' Greatest hits... the sound isn't nice on it... even though I have the original first Foo Fighters LP and it sounds great plus it's my favorite from the band.

I will give the Greatest Hits another spin and hopefully have a change of heart but I won't waste my time with Death Magnetic and I thank my lucky stars that I paid €10 for it :)
    Post edited by lanoisseforp on
  • Options
    lanoisseforplanoisseforp Posts: 469
    edited January 2014
    Currently listening to Foo Fighter's Greatest His LP and it's not bad... The Ortofon 2M Blue makes a difference and helps with the sound. Maybe I should try the Metallica Death Magnetic another day :)
    Post edited by lanoisseforp on
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Just plopped down Mondo's recently released Halloween Soundtrack. Sound is incredible. Highly Highly recommended.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,030

Just plopped down Mondo's recently released Halloween Soundtrack. Sound is incredible. Highly Highly recommended.

I will be purchasing this soon! Thanks!!!

Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options

B-)
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    edited January 2014
    Heartless Bastard's Arrow sounds amazing.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:

Heartless Bastard's Arrow sounds amazing.

I gotta pick this one up!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options

Forgot to add, this pressing runs at 45rpm
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,607
    I did not buy Lighting Bolt, but how does it sound? I did buy Sevens but have not opened it yet to try it out. How does it sound? Thanks!
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    RiotAct10 said:

I did not buy Lighting Bolt, but how does it sound? I did buy Sevens but have not opened it yet to try it out. How does it sound? Thanks!

LB is pretty good. i have a couple pops in between songs but playable- didnt opt for another copy from 10C as i felt it wasnt warranted. I must say i have a new respect for MYM- sounds awesome on vinyl.

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,030

Hey Dr. Delight, I've got a copy of the splatter colored vinyl on the way!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Spun George Harrion's Cloud Nine last night and it soudns fantastic.

Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    Nami said:

RiotAct10 said:

LB is pretty good. i have a couple pops in between songs but playable- didnt opt for another copy from 10C as i felt it wasnt warranted. I must say i have a new respect for MYM- sounds awesome on vinyl.

MYM is awesome. It sounds great on vinyl.... but it was when I heard it live in Vancouver that it really blew my mind. I thought it was the best new song live for sure! :)
    LB sounds good on vinyl, but it's pretty quiet. I have to turn it up a fair bit higher than I do my other records. But once I crank it it sounds good.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

awesome....I ordered the other one BEFORE they made that one available for general sale. F'n Mondo!
    Oh well, they all play beautifully.
  • Options

awesome....I ordered the other one BEFORE they made that one available for general sale. F'n Mondo!
    So what is the music? Creepy instrumental stuff? What am I forgetting about the soundtrack that makes people want to buy and listen to it?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

So what is the music? Creepy instrumental stuff? What am I forgetting about the soundtrack that makes people want to buy and listen to it?
    Yeah, its basically all of the different instrumentals combined with the most memorable dialogue scenes. Probably a must-have for die-hard Halloween fans really(obviously here...duh).

As for Lightning Bolt, I agree with you on the recording level being really low. Gotta turn up the db's for sure.

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    The low volume on LB is a sign of a bad pressing. My original copy had a few minor pops, but I had to crank that bitch up around 40 on my receiver. Most vinyl ranges from 30-35 and my replacement falls in that range.
  • Options
    hinsey21hinsey21 Posts: 582
    edited January 2014
    DewieCox said:

The low volume on LB is a sign of a bad pressing. My original copy had a few minor pops, but I had to crank that bitch up around 40 on my receiver. Most vinyl ranges from 30-35 and my replacement falls in that range.

It's not really as simple as that. I have some mfsl pressings that are some of the most low volume records I own and they are certainly not bad pressings. mfsl records in particular are cut at lower volume to minimize inner groove distortion, and overall distortion and saturation. So just because it's a quiet pressing does automatically mean its a sign of a bad pressing.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

But it sounds excellent when the volume is turned up (and not a lot more. I listen to most of my records on 40, and I turn LB up to 44). So it can't be a bad pressing if the sound quality is very good, even if you do have to turn it up a bit more. Also, I'm talking replacement vinyl. No pops or anything. It sounds perfect.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    hinsey21 said:

DewieCox said:

It's not really as simple as that. I have some mfsl pressings that are some of the most low volume records I own and they are certainly not bad pressings. mfsl records in particular are cut at lower volume to minimize inner groove distortion, and overall distortion and saturation. So just because it's a quiet pressing does automatically mean its a sign of a bad pressing.
    I think with this example it is that simple. I had one pressing, from a batch that was known to be a bad pressing and when I got the replacement, the volume issue was fixed.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    DewieCox said:

hinsey21 said:

DewieCox said:

I think with this example it is that simple. I had one pressing, from a batch that was known to be a bad pressing and when I got the replacement, the volume issue was fixed.
    My replacement is the one that's a bit quiet, not one of the fucked up originals (which were also quiet, but also have pops). The second pressing. Actually, I got 4 replacements total (2 black, 2 red), and they all play perfectly, but are all on the quiet side.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

DewieCox said:

hinsey21 said:

DewieCox said:

My replacement is the one that's a bit quiet, not one of the fucked up originals (which were also quiet, but also have pops). The second pressing. Actually, I got 4 replacements total (2 black, 2 red), and they all play perfectly, but are all on the quiet side.
    Yep, the replacement copy I have was actually given to me by Soul. I gotta pump mine to 30 or below to get a good volume on it. Unless they decided to just send her crappy copies in the mail, which in that case, I blame her!
    :P
  • Options
    Philip_IrelandPhilip_Ireland Posts: 519
    edited January 2014
    reesdog said:

Original: U2 - Achtung Baby
    This record sounds really good, also nice that it's on one disc and not spread out over two like most releases seem to be these day's. Just a nice clear, warm sound that really shows off the production of the album and instruments.

Achtung Baby should have been on two LPs. LPs mostly sound awful when then go over 45 mins on a single LP. They pressed on one LP to save cash

"It was quite popular to release what should have been double albums as single LP's in the late 80's/early 90's, when the record companies wanted people to buy CD's instead."

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/at-what-length-is-an-album-too-long-to-fit-well-sonically-on-1-lp.218741/
    Post edited by Philip_Ireland on
  • Options
    Glen Hansard Drive All Night EP....that sounds amazing.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    thefixer9 said:

Yes, it does! I was pleasantly surprised by how nice this EP is, both for sound quality and music. Really beautiful. :)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

thefixer9 said:

Yes, it does! I was pleasantly surprised by how nice this EP is, both for sound quality and music. Really beautiful. :)
    You've got that right! :D
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981

reesdog said:

Original: U2 - Achtung Baby
    This record sounds really good, also nice that it's on one disc and not spread out over two like most releases seem to be these day's. Just a nice clear, warm sound that really shows off the production of the album and instruments.

Achtung Baby should have been on two LPs. LPs mostly sound awful when then go over 45 mins on a single LP. They pressed on one LP to save cash

"It was quite popular to release what should have been double albums as single LP's in the late 80's/early 90's, when the record companies wanted people to buy CD's instead."

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/at-what-length-is-an-album-too-long-to-fit-well-sonically-on-1-lp.218741/
    I don't really agree, the one LP for this sounds fine to these ears, sounds great in fact. I have loads of one record albums from this era and they sound really good mostly. :)
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I prefer albums to be on one disc. I find any difference there may be when it's split between two is completely negligible (unless, perhaps, you have a $20,000 set up or something). I have many GREAT sounding albums that are on one disc. I think this 2 disc thing is pure audiophile snobbery. I mean, if an album is long, that's one thing - it wouldn't all fit on one disc obviously - but putting a standard length album (like any PJ studio album) on two disc is simply a pain in the ass, and I hear NO difference in sound quality IMO. I really can't stand that all these reissues coming out now for bands are on two discs when the original that sounded just great was on one. That's idiotic I think.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on