Options

Vinyl _____ Show your best/worst sounding!

Comments

• Options
    63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    smarchee said:

this sounds really good

I love that album. Although mine is super tight getting it out of the plastic.

Long shot I know, but did you happen to know anyone with the Rock N Roll murder cover? I've been looking to track one down at a reasonable price but haven't had much luck. I believe it was the European release that had it.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    reesdog said:

reesdog said:

Original: U2 - Achtung Baby
    This record sounds really good, also nice that it's on one disc and not spread out over two like most releases seem to be these day's. Just a nice clear, warm sound that really shows off the production of the album and instruments.

Achtung Baby should have been on two LPs. LPs mostly sound awful when then go over 45 mins on a single LP. They pressed on one LP to save cash

"It was quite popular to release what should have been double albums as single LP's in the late 80's/early 90's, when the record companies wanted people to buy CD's instead."

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/at-what-length-is-an-album-too-long-to-fit-well-sonically-on-1-lp.218741/
    I don't really agree, the one LP for this sounds fine to these ears, sounds great in fact. I have loads of one record albums from this era and they sound really good mostly. :) </blockquote
    Price grab more often than not.

'08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    aurynsdadaurynsdad Posts: 769
    Is one of the reasons LB is so quiet that they tried to fit the absolute maximum amount onto each side? I had previously heard that 22 min was the max on a standard 12" 33 rpm record, and was surprised when I saw LB fit a couple minutes extra on each side. While I love the sound, I've also noticed that sometimes the drums seem a little low in the mix. Could this also be related?
    The more stuff you fit onto the vinyl, the closer the tracks have to be to each other and therefore the smaller the waveform has to be cut. Smaller waveform = quieter music and less room for bass.
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    aurynsdad said:

Is one of the reasons LB is so quiet that they tried to fit the absolute maximum amount onto each side? I had previously heard that 22 min was the max on a standard 12" 33 rpm record, and was surprised when I saw LB fit a couple minutes extra on each side. While I love the sound, I've also noticed that sometimes the drums seem a little low in the mix. Could this also be related?

The more stuff you fit onto the vinyl, the closer the tracks have to be to each other and therefore the smaller the waveform has to be cut. Smaller waveform = quieter music and less room for bass.
    No, that's not the reason it's so quiet. Because I have loads of albums that are that long and on one disc, and none of those are quiet. I think it's quiet because of the way it was mastered.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Thanks. I should contribute an album to the discussion- I haven't heard Robin Trower's "Bridge of Sighs" any other way, but it sure sounds amazing on vinyl!

10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    PJ_Soul said:

I prefer albums to be on one disc. I find any difference there may be when it's split between two is completely negligible (unless, perhaps, you have a $20,000 set up or something). I have many GREAT sounding albums that are on one disc. I think this 2 disc thing is pure audiophile snobbery. I mean, if an album is long, that's one thing - it wouldn't all fit on one disc obviously - but putting a standard length album (like any PJ studio album) on two disc is simply a pain in the ass, and I hear NO difference in sound quality IMO. I really can't stand that all these reissues coming out now for bands are on two discs when the original that sounded just great was on one. That's idiotic I think.

I actually like when they do that...to me...that's just more vinyl.... =P~
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    One record album from that late 80's period..........sounds great!
    Nice deep, lush sound on this one. :)
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,031

PJ_Soul said:

Just plopped down Mondo's recently released Halloween Soundtrack. Sound is incredible. Highly Highly recommended.

I will be purchasing this soon! Thanks!!!

Forgot to add, this pressing runs at 45rpm

Hey Dr. Delight, I've got a copy of the splatter colored vinyl on the way!
    awesome....I ordered the other one BEFORE they made that one available for general sale. F'n Mondo!
    Oh well, they all play beautifully.
    So what is the music? Creepy instrumental stuff? What am I forgetting about the soundtrack that makes people want to buy and listen to it?
    Yeah, its basically all of the different instrumentals combined with the most memorable dialogue scenes. Probably a must-have for die-hard Halloween fans really(obviously here...duh).

Sounds awesome!!!

photo IMG_20140118_115556675_zpstmtgvyos.jpg
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210

PJ_Soul said:

Just plopped down Mondo's recently released Halloween Soundtrack. Sound is incredible. Highly Highly recommended.

I will be purchasing this soon! Thanks!!!

Forgot to add, this pressing runs at 45rpm

Hey Dr. Delight, I've got a copy of the splatter colored vinyl on the way!
    awesome....I ordered the other one BEFORE they made that one available for general sale. F'n Mondo!
    Oh well, they all play beautifully.
    So what is the music? Creepy instrumental stuff? What am I forgetting about the soundtrack that makes people want to buy and listen to it?
    Yeah, its basically all of the different instrumentals combined with the most memorable dialogue scenes. Probably a must-have for die-hard Halloween fans really(obviously here...duh).

Sounds awesome!!!

photo IMG_20140118_115556675_zpstmtgvyos.jpg
    That looks great in person compared to the internet pic.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Windham Hill Records put out some great vinyl back in the day, if you like instrumental composers.
  • Options
    This is probably the best Beastie Boys sounding piece of wax I've heard...
    ...Crystal clear through the speakers and definitely made to get the party started!
  • Options
    Someone on this site said this is one of the best sounding records they've ever heard, BiGDaddyWil I think it was...
    ...I think they were right, a rich and beautiful sound.
  • Options
    This is OK sounding at best in my opinion, have to turn the volume up about 5 notch's more than nearly any other record to get the same sound. Same thing with the Ten reissue I have...
    ...kinda disappointing. Still a very good record though.
  • Options
    ^^^^ Yup, I have to blast this album too. Not sure why it's mastered so poorly. Let's blame BoB. :D
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,909
    His comments on PJXM when he embraced brick walling were pretty disheartening.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,909
    Really surprised you guys like Easy Tiger on vinyl. Pretty much all Ryan Adams sound awful on wax, but Easy tiger (to these ears) is by far the worst sounding.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I think my worst sounding album now is the reissue of Rated R by Queens of the Stone age. It's a great album, but this reissue is SO quiet - WAY worse that LB. I have to crank the volume up almost twice as high as I play other albums, and even then it just sounds a bit flat. Very disappointing... good thing it wasn't expensive. If anyone wants this album, I recommend springing for the original pressing.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Love the sound of this one:

The song "Keep the Streets Empty For Me" sounds so great to my ears. I also recommend the "Deep Cuts" LP from her other persona, The Knife. I've listened to it and the CD and the LP kicked its ass. Also, it has the added bonus of having a tune "Behind the Bushes" that contains what is essentially a cover of "Black" (starting at about 1:17)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FSsOoIm9fWM
    Post edited by aurynsdad on
  • Options
    quasiquasi Posts: 492
    The 2009 RTI pressing of Nevermind" via "Original Recordings Group (Mastered by Bernie Grundman from the original analogue master tapes) sounds awesome.
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18
  • Options
    lanoisseforplanoisseforp Posts: 469
    edited March 2014
    The hits on this record are very sweet and some of the unreleased new recordings could had been better... overall this is a great sounding record from 2010

Post edited by lanoisseforp on
  • Options
    Of the more recent records I'd have to say this is one of the best sounding I've heard. Beck does it again, such a full and lush sound he get's on vinyl, quite blissful. Nearly up there with his 'Sea Change' Mofi release for sound quality.
  • Options
    This (as I'm sure most of you already know) Sounds wicked! I guess a year in the studio was well worth it for Jimmy Page when the final product is this good. Probably will become the definitive release for this album for sound quality. Sounds absolutely amazing.
  • Options
    If anyone's interested these are some records I'd recommend for their great sound quality...

The remastering job on The Clash reissues is superb, this is one of the best sounding records in my collection, the sound dynamics are so good!
    j0folu.jpg
  • Options
    I've noticed that a lot of electronic music usually sounds really good on vinyl, not to sure why that is but it's a nice accident if thats the case...

This one I'd recommend, absolutely brilliant, it literally leaps from the speakers.
    4vigj4.jpg
  • Options
    This is one of the new Nick Cave reissues and I'll definitely be checking out some of the others if they sound as good as this... Outstanding sound.

aavjg8.jpg
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    edited January 2015
    Good Thread!!
    one of the best sound records I use for reference is def Radiohead- Kid A on 10"
    worst record was LB/Live on 10 Legs/Ten Remastered.... so unfortunate that the quality of PJ vinyl has really gone down lately.
    I also find most of the Third Man catalog is mastered way too low.... but it could be the UPI plant they use. LB was also manufactured there... coincidence?

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    I have a "Quadraphonic" copy of Santana's Abraxis I'm really digging right now.

Worst is probably my original "green" copy of Silverchair's Frogstomp.
    Love this album but the sound could use some work.
    Or the reissue of the QOTSA rated R/ Rated X.
    Great album but you really have to turn it up!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    edited January 2015
    reesdog wrote: »
    Of the more recent records I'd have to say this is one of the best sounding I've heard. Beck does it again, such a full and lush sound he get's on vinyl, quite blissful. Nearly up there with his 'Sea Change' Mofi release for sound quality.

I might be starting to "get" this album. Since it was released I just haven't been picking up what everyone else seems so taken by. Not sure why... I'm a Beck fan. I "get" Beck usually, lol. But this one, I just wasn't feeling it for some reason. And I kept trying to listen and understand what everyone else was loving, and nada. But now I think I'm starting to feel it all of a sudden. I wonder what THAT is?? Must be psychological in some way, but what's changed?? Hmmmm. :-?
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    Thievery Corp Radio Retaliation sounds beautiful. Hearing subtle shit I have never heard before
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote: »
    I think my worst sounding album now is the reissue of Rated R by Queens of the Stone age. It's a great album, but this reissue is SO quiet - WAY worse that LB. I have to crank the volume up almost twice as high as I play other albums, and even then it just sounds a bit flat. Very disappointing... good thing it wasn't expensive. If anyone wants this album, I recommend springing for the original pressing.

I completely agree with you about Rated R (X). It's insanely quiet and sounds flat when turned up, no punch at all. All my other Queens albums sounds great in comparison.

I'd like to also add Jack White's Lazeretto to the list. The music itself doesn't sound bad, but for album that got hyped so much for all of its bells and whistles, it's pretty noisy and loses points on the QC department IMO.
    Barrie '98
    Saratoga Springs, Toronto '00
    Toronto, Montreal '03
    Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto '05
    Toronto I & II, Albany, Hartford, Gorge I '06
    Camden I & II, Washington DC '08
    Toronto, Chicago I '09
    Columbus, Indianapolis, Buffalo '10
    Alpine Valley I & II, Toronto I & II, Hamilton '11
    London, Buffalo '13
    Detroit '14
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I & II '16